Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion Bracket: Play-in Games  (Read 4121 times)

kamikazepig

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
    • Rodriguez and Granderson Are Dead
Dominion Bracket: Play-in Games
« on: March 22, 2012, 12:36:36 pm »

In <a href="http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=2022.0">this</a> thread, I declared my intentions to create a March Madness-style Dominion card bracket in which everybody votes for their favorite card in each given matchup and so on. With 157 cards that aren't standard vps/money or prizes (No Copper, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Estate, Duchy, Province, Colony, Curse, Trusty Steed, etc....but everything else), I've created 8 regionals, 5 with 20 cards and 3 with 19, seeded by %gained on Councilroom. The regions aren't really expansion-specific or anything, the seeding just goes so that the best 1 seed is with the worst 2 seed, best 3 seed, worst 4 seed, etc.

Since I can only make 10-question surveys for free on SurveyMonkey, this play-in round contains three surveys jumbling up the 29 play-in games to get to the round of 128. After a few days in which hopefully this will pick up a little steam, I'll post 8 surveys for the 8 first-round matchups in each regional; after those, 8 surveys for the 4 second-round matchups in two regionals at once, and so on. I'm interested to see comparisons between cards of different prices, whether people go for the card that's flat out better or the card that they are more likely to want and so on.

Cheers,

Gavin (kamikazepig on Isotropic, I'm fairly new but play way too often)

<a href="http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NGS8J6T">Click here to take survey</a>
<a href="http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NGN7RDV">Click here to take survey</a>
<a href="http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SPTHGGG">Click here to take survey</a>

I'll also make overall brackets and link to them once I post the first rounds of each regional. These are just the play-ins, the "First 29" if you will.

Edit: Just realized that these surveys allow you to vote for both options. I'll fix that after the play-in games, but it would be cool if everybody just voted for one option. Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 12:39:30 pm by kamikazepig »

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Bracket: Play-in Games
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 01:05:34 pm »

Are we voting for which card we like more or which one we think is better?

kamikazepig

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 01:12:00 pm »

I'd call that one open to your interpretation. The cards are SEEDED according to their %gain, so I expect to have a number of matchups in which a more popular $3 goes up against a less popular $5 or something...I'd lean towards your favorites because I don't want the final few to be all 6's and 7's...sure, Forge is an objectively superior card to Fishing Village, but Fishing Village is close to a must-buy in a lot of decks and Forge isn't nearly that prominent. I'm interested to see which directions people take it. Considering that (for example) Workshop is currently beating Saboteur, I think people are generally going favorite/more frequently useful/power for cost than purely power.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 01:13:19 pm »
+1

It says Favourite in the wall of text up there, so went for those
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 01:27:53 pm »
+2

I'd call that one open to your interpretation. The cards are SEEDED according to their %gain, so I expect to have a number of matchups in which a more popular $3 goes up against a less popular $5 or something...I'd lean towards your favorites because I don't want the final few to be all 6's and 7's...sure, Forge is an objectively superior card to Fishing Village, but Fishing Village is close to a must-buy in a lot of decks and Forge isn't nearly that prominent. I'm interested to see which directions people take it. Considering that (for example) Workshop is currently beating Saboteur, I think people are generally going favorite/more frequently useful/power for cost than purely power.

I wouldn't say Forge is objectively superior to Fishing Village. Quite the opposite in fact. When we discuss which cards are more powerful than others, we are always doing that in light of cost. Forge is much, much, much more difficult to obtain than Fishing Village, and that's a factor in deciding which card is "better."

In any case, it's cool to be picking cards on based on how much we like them, since those sorts of discussions seem to happen less frequently.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

kamikazepig

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 01:35:22 pm »
+1

Sorry, what I meant by "objectively superior" was "if the two cards cost the same, which one would you prefer."  I agree that I am much more likely to buy Fishing Village than Forge and that it is a better card, because of its cost. What I meant is that if Forge cost $3 I would buy it over Fishing Village, so I don't want this to be about "what's the most powerful card irrespective of cost" and have all the $6's and $7's win. Seems like people are voting for their favorites, which is what I was hoping for, so it should be interesting.

toaster

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 08:03:58 pm »

Generally people here think of "best" as "most powerful given cost"...you definitely wouldn't just get all 6's and 7's out of such a vote.

kamikazepig

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 01:10:39 pm »

This has been up for a day and I've gotten about 50 responses, which is cool. I'm going to compile the results probably Sunday evening EST, so if votes are in by midnight GMT on Sunday they'll probably be counted. The round of 128 will go up that night or next morning, and I'll give some more time for it because there will be more votes.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 01:41:53 pm »

I like this idea.  An explicit "which card do you like better" as opposed to "which card is more powerful".  Lets me do things like vote for Adventurer.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 12:56:50 am »

Watchtower vs. Royal Seal in the play-ins is pretty funny. Scrying Pool vs. Horn of Plenty first round is a shame.

Also, you probably want to use radio buttons (choose one) rather than check boxes (yes/no) for these surveys.

kamikazepig

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 07:40:32 am »

Thanks, yeah. I edited the original post to say that when I do the matchups in the Round of 128 and then onwards, you'll only be allowed to select one option. I didn't realize it at the time and it didn't feel like a big enough deal to go through the hassle of remaking all the questions.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 06:25:47 pm »

Any update on these? I just found the threads and voted, I very much like the idea of a "favorite cards" bracket and was disheartened to see many of my favorites in play-in games  :o I must fight for their greater appreciation!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.571 seconds with 22 queries.