Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: In which zone(s) does Sleigh's reaction work?  (Read 1963 times)

urza

• Swindler
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
In which zone(s) does Sleigh's reaction work?
« on: July 30, 2020, 03:57:48 pm »

I assumed at first Sleigh has to be in your hand for you to discard it and use its reaction ability.  But nothing I've found confirms this.  Its on-play effect even gains cards, which suggests that maybe you're intended to discard it in reaction to itself.

I looked at other reaction cards, and every other one states which zone to play/reveal it from, except Beggar, which up until Menagerie had no way of being in play when an opponent played an attack.  Does that mean you can now react with Beggar while it's in play in response to a Black Cat?

And Market Square, which has the closest wording, specifies that you have to discard it from your hand.  That seems to settle it, Sleigh works from in play (unless there's some rule that Reaction cards only work in your hand by default, in which case the wording is inconsistent).

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: In which zone(s) does Sleigh's reaction work?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 04:46:51 pm »
+2

"Discard" by the general Dominion rules always means "from your hand" unless it specifies otherwise:

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Discard
Official Rules
Move a card from your hand to your discard pile.
Sometimes a card will tell you to discard a card from another location, but by default discarded cards come from hands.

Market Square would work the same if it didn't say "from your hand"; it's just adding extra unneeded clarification that Sleigh doesn't have.

Things like Warehouse provide a simple example. "Discard 3 cards" means "from your hand" even though it doesn't say so.

Note that this only applies to "discard" as an instruction to follow, like it does in Warehouse and Sleigh. But when used in Tunnel, "discard" refers to an event that happened, not an instruction to follow. So Tunnel is considered "discarded" even if it was discarded from somewhere other than your hand.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 04:50:46 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 07:01:00 pm »
+1

I looked at other reaction cards, and every other one states which zone to play/reveal it from, except Beggar, which up until Menagerie had no way of being in play when an opponent played an attack.  Does that mean you can now react with Beggar while it's in play in response to a Black Cat?

Beggar has always had ways of being in a variety of zones, such as the supply, the trash pile, and your opponent's deck. You obviously can't discard it from those places.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile

urza

• Swindler
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 08:49:08 pm »

Okay, thanks everyone.  Common sense prevails, and I probably should have guessed it would be too confusing to work while in play.
More about this (with a link to even more).
Thanks, I missed this, I searched for "Sleigh" but only in the rules forum.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 08:51:46 pm »
+1

Woah, I gave almost the exact same answer, even with the same example, lol. Didn't remember that. Even down to the edit to explain Tunnel. Weird.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 05:33:30 am »
+6

Woah, I gave almost the exact same answer, even with the same example, lol. Didn't remember that. Even down to the edit to explain Tunnel. Weird.

I once read a Wikipedia article, thought one bit was obviously suboptimally phrased, went to the Discussion page to point that out, saw that someone else had already pointed it out, wrote a reply agreeing with them – and then I realized that the person pointing that out had been myself years earlier.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 01:02:35 pm »
+1

Sleigh should say "from your hand" for clarity. It does only work from your hand.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.