Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: City/Saboteurs is too slow to beat double Jacks  (Read 1675 times)

KenN

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
City/Saboteurs is too slow to beat double Jacks
« on: March 22, 2012, 10:48:26 pm »

Here's the game:
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120321-224227-269bcaa0.html

I opened with steward/Jack.  My opponent followed. 

I just went through the game and reallized that I never bought my second jack. lol.  Here I was thinking, "Hah! Double Jacks for the win."  It's Jack/Steward for the win.  Hmmm.

I bet I would have gotten that last Province if I had had that second JoaT early in the game (instead of buying a silly city).

I got caught up in my opponent's strategy, thinking, "Ok, if you want to power up cities, I get a few and we'll do power-cities together."  Clearly I should have gotten my second Jack and won the game by turn 20.  I would not have even been posting this.

Ah,well.  A messy win is still a win, right?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: City/Saboteurs is too slow to beat double Jacks
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 11:35:10 pm »

I think your title almost says it all. Courtyard/jack is probably better though.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 01:55:58 am »
+1

City/Saboteurs is too slow to beat double Jacks
I'm Jack of all Trade's complete lack of surprise.

Hah! Double Jacks for the win.
Double Jack is in some sense overrated as there are many cards that help the first Jack more than a second Jack.  Courtyard was mentioned, it does not want a second Jack is is much stronger than DoubleJack (wins ~55:40).  I think my plan here would be to completely ignore the Sabs, DoubleJack (or Jack-CY) has the power to keep buying Provinces even if your opponent wants to delay the game. Additionally, you have a ton of Silvers to defend your important cards from the Sabs.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 03:33:57 am »

Sabs are not only weak in general, they are extraordinary weak against Jack due to all the Silver cannon fodder. And City... well, there's simply not the time to waste up to 10 buys on $5 villages.

A_S00

• Spy
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 12:24:25 pm »
+1

This thread title makes me want to play a bunch of terrible, terrible strategies and then post about losing with them, just so I can make threads with awesome titles (I know the OP was actually playing the better strategy here, but I can't think of a way to make people play bad strategies against me very often).

"Workshop/BM is too slow to beat NV/Bridge."
"Gardens rush with no +buy is too slow to beat Minion spam."
"Only buying Copper is too slow to beat Drunk Marine Students."

KenN

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 06:51:38 pm »

Well, this thread only show cases my own poor play :-\.  My opponent sab'd every single one of my provinces, which I had to replace with duchys in order to keep my vp count more than his.  He sab'd my one jack (which according to the strategy I had in mind and the one I reported was supposed to be two).  He sab'd my golds, so I could never get to that last province.  He resigned when he realized that I was going to three pile on duchies, cities, and sabs. 

I had the right idea, against his strategy, just really poor execution.  And won anyway.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.