Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84  All

Author Topic: BM30: MacGuffin Mafia (Game Over, Scum and Treasure Hunter win!)  (Read 196831 times)

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
Re: BM30: MacGuffin Mafia (Game Over, Scum and Treasure Hunter win!)
« Reply #2050 on: May 28, 2020, 01:19:58 am »

Sorry for dragging that out Joseph
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: Skip Wooznum
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: May 28, 2020, 01:31:08 am »

Also, I found it oddly cathartic that scum, out of the goodness of their hearts, let Joseph win with them.

It's strange because I think it would be even more cathartic if they double crossed him. It would serve him right, the way he threw town to the wolves without even a second thought. Also, for not giving mix the bullet. 

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: May 28, 2020, 01:33:26 am »

https://quicktopic.com/53/H/kSawcTvbZzis

My qt. Nothing interesting in it. Just me asking annoying questions and glooble mostly telling me he can't answer them.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: May 28, 2020, 01:37:35 am »

I'm still slightly confused about what the point of the Pawnbrokers was.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: May 28, 2020, 02:08:52 am »

I think scum made the right choice in killing me.  I was coming up with all sorts of lies to convince Joseph to keep helping us instead of scum.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2055 on: May 28, 2020, 05:14:18 am »

Also, I found it oddly cathartic that scum, out of the goodness of their hearts, let Joseph win with them.

It's strange because I think it would be even more cathartic if they double crossed him. It would serve him right, the way he threw town to the wolves without even a second thought. Also, for not giving mix the bullet.
Well I was half expecting they would try and kill me, in which case one of them would have died. Because apparently I'm a 1-shot passive redirector as well as everything else
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Joseph2302

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: May 28, 2020, 05:15:42 am »

My QT: https://www.quicktopic.com/53/H/FbNgpQXEtZQ
Most interesting thing is how long my role is

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: May 28, 2020, 05:26:29 am »

Well I was half expecting they would try and kill me, in which case one of them would have died. Because apparently I'm a 1-shot passive redirector as well as everything else
That was already used up, as we tried and failed to steal from you before.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: May 28, 2020, 06:30:03 am »

That was already used up, as we tried and failed to steal from you before.
The redirecting was exclusively for killing actions, so it wasn't used up. The reason your steal failed was that mail-mi jk'ed him which apparently makes him untargettable for any and all night actions.

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #2059 on: May 28, 2020, 06:42:06 am »

I'm still slightly confused about what the point of the Pawnbrokers was.

It was supposed to be a mechanic for helping items get to the right people faster, but it it didn’t really work.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: May 28, 2020, 07:44:39 am »

Trading's anti-town because Pawnbrokers don't need items so there's no reason to do it in the first place. In practice it's a "you traded so you must be scum" "oh it's pro-me so I did it anyway" type of thing.

It says Treasure Hunter won but it was unbelievably out of Joseph's control to win that game, and he only won because scum wanted him to. That was a kingmaker decision all the way.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: May 28, 2020, 08:44:03 am »

It says Treasure Hunter won but it was unbelievably out of Joseph's control to win that game, and he only won because scum wanted him to. That was a kingmaker decision all the way.
Not sure what your point is? That is just something that can happen in mafia games. Why would you want Joseph to not have won here?

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: May 28, 2020, 09:35:51 am »

Not sure what your point is? That is just something that can happen in mafia games. Why would you want Joseph to not have won here?

There's two ways to see Joseph's position: he sided with scum because it's the only way for him to have a chance of winning, or he was kingmaking. I defend he was kingmaking.

Also /rant, I'm a bit miffed about my performance this game.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: May 28, 2020, 10:48:07 am »

I'd be interested to know a little more about how you came up with the design.

I thought that a weakness of the setup was the fact that you told us outright that the "VT" was Generous Townie, which put scum in a very difficult position vis a vis fakeclaim. It also made it hard to pass items around meaningfully. Why force people to give items away?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: May 28, 2020, 10:49:13 am »

If you're looking for a new game, mail-mi's stormlight game just needs 2 more friends!
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #2065 on: May 28, 2020, 11:31:24 am »

I'd be interested to know a little more about how you came up with the design.

I thought that a weakness of the setup was the fact that you told us outright that the "VT" was Generous Townie, which put scum in a very difficult position vis a vis fakeclaim. It also made it hard to pass items around meaningfully. Why force people to give items away?

Because I was afraid everyone would horde items if I didn’t.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: May 28, 2020, 11:37:15 am »

So was the Gun the only item GTs didn't have to give?

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: May 28, 2020, 11:48:16 am »

Is there a mod QT?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: May 28, 2020, 12:02:21 pm »

kingmaking is always the fault of the designer

Joseph2302

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: May 28, 2020, 12:54:54 pm »

There's two ways to see Joseph's position: he sided with scum because it's the only way for him to have a chance of winning, or he was kingmaking. I defend he was kingmaking.

The way I see it, there wasn't a way for me to win with town. To get 3 pieces withour their help would have taken 3 nights, and if we'd lynched faust then ADK would have killed the rest of fhe town by then

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2070 on: May 28, 2020, 01:23:27 pm »

The way I see it, there wasn't a way for me to win with town. To get 3 pieces withour their help would have taken 3 nights, and if we'd lynched faust then ADK would have killed the rest of fhe town by then

That's why I told you to try to steal the rope, so we could give it to skip and have skip keep roleblocking the last scum.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: May 28, 2020, 01:30:20 pm »

That's why I told you to try to steal the rope, so we could give it to skip and have skip keep roleblocking the last scum.

Rope only had 30 feet, so you could only use it twice. I used the last of it on Joseph the night he was tied up.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: May 28, 2020, 01:42:20 pm »

Eh, my D1 reads were generally pretty good.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: May 28, 2020, 01:58:10 pm »

Rope only had 30 feet, so you could only use it twice. I used the last of it on Joseph the night he was tied up.

Well, I didn't know that at the time.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: May 28, 2020, 02:29:33 pm »

Well, I didn't know that at the time.

Wasn't the night you tied him up also the night he tried to steal?

I agree there was no way for Joseph to win without scum at that point. But we had to try. I don't think we could've gotten Joseph to vote faust that last day.

We just killed too many town too quickly.

I am glad I identified some things, albeit either too late, or to irrelevant:
• that telescope meant swan needed the magnifying glass
• that the hat (though it wasn't a a baseball cap) made you loved
• correct read (which was really sudgy's read) on faust, but it was too late.

Biggest regrets:
• I didn't push hard enough on the Sailor 1v1
• I leaned skip over mail-mi for too long (it started with an incorrect assumption that if two people needed the rope, their roles and usages of the rope would be different)

Overall, I think the game was a lot of fun and worth playing, though it did seem unbalanced in favor of scum - 4 scum, plus no town PRs to start, only if we got the right items, but scum could both kill and steal at night.

And I'll repeat that if there were a way to get an alt win condition (like the owl) it should allow for all players; i.e. non generous townies already had some "spice" with trying to get their items, then there was also this alt win, while we generous townies could do nothing but give items.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84  All

Page created in 0.551 seconds with 20 queries.