Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Winter Kingdom  (Read 2469 times)

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
Winter Kingdom
« on: March 26, 2020, 06:01:41 am »
+3

I am very surprised to discover Winter Kingdom, a Kingdom Builder spin-off on Kickstarter here.

Although I prefer Dominion, other Donald X games like Kingdom Builder or Temporum are pretty decent as well. I will definitely observe that project.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 02:57:16 am by King Leon »

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 05:09:32 pm »

Kingdom builder is a great game for sure. I'm very excited about that new spin-off ! But surprised by the lack of interest on F.DS...

SirSlugma

• Thief
  • Respect: +101
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 11:28:41 pm »

Definitely excited for this one, it seems like it "solves" a lot of the problems of Kingdom Builder (which I love!), plus the wintery theme is super pretty.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 02:05:12 am »

Are the cards for Winter Kingdom supposed to be revealed?  I saw that there was a rule book available, which includes images of cards and examples, but the images are too low res to actually see the card text and it's difficult to infer what the cards do from the examples alone.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 05:36:01 am »

Are the cards for Winter Kingdom supposed to be revealed?  I saw that there was a rule book available, which includes images of cards and examples, but the images are too low res to actually see the card text and it's difficult to infer what the cards do from the examples alone.
I don't know exactly what they intend there.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 09:39:44 am »
+3

I agree it's weird that they showed the rulebook which includes a card FAQ, but with all the card images blurry. Didn't Queen also put a version of the game on Tabletop Simulator, though? That's got to have clear card images, so I assume they're meant to be public knowledge at this point.

EDIT: And here are the files that version pulls from:

« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 09:51:48 am by LastFootnote »

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 08:08:52 pm »
+1

Thanks!

Pretty excited for Winter Kingdom.  I’ve played Kingdom Builder a few times, but never owned a copy, so it seems like a great opportunity to get into it.

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +444
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 01:53:27 pm »

I played this Sunday for the first time and liked it. The decoupling of special abilities from exact positions on the board does a lot to reduce snowballing... if your first couple turns are badly chosen, you're not locked out of the rest of the game as much as in Kingdom Builder. The tunnels being available to everyone likewise makes it easier for everyone to travel all across the board, which is where a lot of the fun of the game comes in. Each player has a hand of enough different abilities that they should hopefully all average out to similar power levels, though I imagine it could be frustrating to draw a hand of all movement abilities or all placement abilities, rather than a mix of the two. We did have one player who thought there were just too many possible moves for too many competing objectives at all times, but that's kind of the point of the game. I do think, though, that the rules could have put a little less emphasis on saying everything in as few words as possible, and instead focused more on clarity.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 10:18:55 pm »

Yeah, the rulebook is garbage. I made a FAQ; hopefully it can help answer any questions.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2525866/winter-kingdom-faq
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.