Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17  All

Author Topic: Menagerie Bonus Previews  (Read 157978 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Menagerie Bonus Previews
« Reply #325 on: March 16, 2020, 08:38:53 am »
+2

I immediately see all sorts of broken combos with Capitalism

Well... yeah, Capitalism performs its intended functionality on this card, like it does with all the other cards that give +coin. I guess if you want to call that "all sorts of broken combos" then I can see it too.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 16, 2020, 09:06:42 am »

Sweet, that's the trashing Attack with the Exile mechanic that I anticipated.

mikechike

• Salvager
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 16, 2020, 09:10:37 am »
+1

Eats like a Knight, eats Knights real good. Any way to get them back from Exile with the cards we've seen so far, or other unique name piles like Castles?

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 16, 2020, 09:26:06 am »

Not so far, but in general you'd be very happy if Castles could be Exiled for you.
My opponent has more loot than me

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 16, 2020, 09:26:47 am »
+1

That card is.... Interesting.

I immediately see all sorts of broken combos with Capitalism

What sort of combo are you thinking of? Cardinal becomes a treasure, so it's non-terminal, but that's not different than the way that it makes any other terminal coin better.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

villafan001

• Steward
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: March 16, 2020, 09:42:35 am »

Given that a cardinal is a bird and that the expansion is about animals, did you intend this card to depict a bird but the artitst went his/her own way?
Thank you
Given the fact that religious cards are always trashing based, and Exile is similar to trashing, this is unlikely. Plus, Cardinal doesn't really sound like an attack.

There are numerous ecclesiastical cards in the game already, and all of them involve trashing - so Cardinal (in that sense) fits the bill. Great image as well, especially the cardinal’s hat.

nmx

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 16, 2020, 10:18:08 am »

I would assume the other religious card, Sanctuary, uses the new Exile mechanic as well.

(What would a little red bird be about here anyway? That's not a relevant archetype like Owl or Falcon or whatever.)
To go in the Sanctuary, of course.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 16, 2020, 11:59:53 am »
+4

Artwork quibble: very few cardinals would have had a full beard in mediaeval times. Not many do, even now. It's not actually disallowed, it's just that they want to avoid looking Orthodox/Coptic.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 16, 2020, 01:04:28 pm »
+3

Given that a cardinal is a bird and that the expansion is about animals, did you intend this card to depict a bird but the artitst went his/her own way?
No. We have notes now on what the cards are supposed to depict, so that mistakes like that aren't made.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 16, 2020, 01:31:25 pm »

No. We have notes now on what the cards are supposed to depict, so that mistakes like that aren't made.
I would assume you have final approval anyways, even if the artist had made that mistake, right?
They/them

villafan001

• Steward
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 16, 2020, 03:00:43 pm »

Artwork quibble: very few cardinals would have had a full beard in mediaeval times. Not many do, even now. It's not actually disallowed, it's just that they want to avoid looking Orthodox/Coptic.

Not true: 23 popes in a row from 1523-1700 had beards and a majority overall have done. It was only actually against canon law for a brief period in the 20th century.

I realise Dominion is probably set *slightly* prior to 1523, but plenty before that had them.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 03:04:39 pm by villafan001 »

Hibernator

• Swindler
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 16, 2020, 03:40:03 pm »
+2

I realise Dominion is probably set *slightly* prior to 1523, but plenty before that had them.

What about the man in the Library, he looks like he's dressing from the 19th century. And then in Empires you have Roman times. Dominion is the new Through the ages ;)

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 16, 2020, 03:45:12 pm »
+1

What about the man in the Library, he looks like he's dressing from the 19th century. And then in Empires you have Roman times. Dominion is the new Through the ages ;)

Next expansion "Dominion: Space Opera"
They/them

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 16, 2020, 04:44:55 pm »
+4

All the women travelers and the women half of the knight stack are very angry that Cardinal does not depict the average appearance for someone of that occupation from that time period.

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 16, 2020, 07:23:02 pm »

Who didn’t make the notes about the five horse Stampede?
-The Compulsive Completist

ShoopOopADoo

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 16, 2020, 10:09:00 pm »

Bonus Preview 4: Alliance

I guess it should be no surprise that some people wanted to see the teased cards; here's "province, a duchy":

You get all that stuff! You can't not take some of it.

Sorry if this was already asked, but say Estates are gone, can you still do an Alliance? Or do you have to be able to meet all of the requirements of the event in order to buy it?

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 16, 2020, 10:12:30 pm »

I guess it should be no surprise that some people wanted to see the teased cards; here's "province, a duchy":

Sorry if this was already asked, but say Estates are gone, can you still do an Alliance? Or do you have to be able to meet all of the requirements of the event in order to buy it?

You gain all of the cards that you can.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 16, 2020, 10:48:33 pm »
+3

The way that Dominion works is you follow a card's instructions from top to bottom, doing as much of it as you can. If there is something that you can't do, you just skip that part; the exception is if a card's instructions specify that some requirement must be met in order for the rest of the instructions to be carried out (look at Treasure Map for an example of a strict requirement; you only get the 4 golds if you actually trashed two Treasure Maps). Alliance has no requirements since it just states that you do things without some kind of "if" clause. To have Alliance be a requirement like you said, it would have to be worded something like "If the supply contains at least one of each of province, duchy, estate, copper, silver, and gold, then gain one of each of them."

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 16, 2020, 11:53:45 pm »
+1

I would assume you have final approval anyways, even if the artist had made that mistake, right?
Sometimes when a card is wrong I do get to say, and get it fixed. Sometimes we use the error because of the nature of it, e.g. it defies physics or history but no-one will care. For years I didn't see everything and so some stuff would just be a surprise on the cards.

For most companies I wouldn't expect to have any say on art; not my department. I might comment anyway if saw some, but you know. For example for Pina Pirata, I said, isn't this art too fiddly, and they said, what, you don't like it? And they used it and then you couldn't recognize the cards upside-down and they added icons and color-coding for later printings.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 16, 2020, 11:57:53 pm »
+4

Everyone? That sentence did not make much sense. Nevertheless I am betting you are looking for me to say, which I will, that I didn't think to mention the number of horses in the notes.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: March 16, 2020, 11:59:53 pm »
+3

Everyone? That sentence did not make much sense. Nevertheless I am betting you are looking for me to say, which I will, that I didn't think to mention the number of horses in the notes.

It still works with eight horses on the art.  You're able to capture 5 of them, but the other 3 get away
They/them

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 17, 2020, 03:00:42 am »
+11

Bonus Preview 11: Desperation

It's the Event version of Cursed Gold. You can have more money, if you want it badly enough.

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 17, 2020, 03:03:15 am »
+1

Well that looks like one I’ll get and hate myself for.
-The Compulsive Completist

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 17, 2020, 03:08:46 am »
+3

It's the Event version of Cursed Gold. You can have more money, if you want it badly enough.

I like this way better than cursed gold. Not taking a spot in your deck meaning you can pick the turns when you want to use it makes it much more helpful and less swingy. I like events like these...they reward the skill of knowing when it's worth it to use them.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 17, 2020, 03:11:06 am »
+2

Is the person on the art missing a hand?
They/them
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.