Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17  All

Author Topic: Menagerie Bonus Previews  (Read 158022 times)

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
Re: Menagerie Bonus Previews
« Reply #150 on: March 10, 2020, 12:03:05 pm »
+2

Alliance looks like it will have fun synergies with Groundskeeper and with Changeling...

(Not with Goons, alas.)

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 10, 2020, 12:30:41 pm »

If you have an opinion, you should go to the separate thread I started.

Oh, ok.  Yes, that is tricky.

Do I just have to Search for it or what?
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

FemurLemur

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: FemurLemur
  • Respect: +196
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 10, 2020, 01:01:54 pm »

The option that you implicitly advocate is the lazy one (which is thankfully not the case here): a designer not caring about unclear stuff and updating the rules.

I don't think I'd go that far. I think a more charitable interpretation is that Jeebus advocates for an approach with greater pre-planning and consideration for how word/rule choices will impact future design space, which would actually take much more work up-front. Though you and I do agree that it's not realistic to expect to anticipate everything. Especially in a world with limited time where you actually need to start selling those expansions at some point.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 10, 2020, 01:22:56 pm »

Do I just have to Search for it or what?

Whoops! Forgot to link it.

Here is the link to the thread to which the debate has been moved. Also it's in Rules Questions.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

FemurLemur

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: FemurLemur
  • Respect: +196
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 10, 2020, 01:27:35 pm »
+1

I'm definitely into having more expensive Events! I remember when it just seemed like a given that there'd never be Kingdom cards over $8, because they'd be so swingy and situational and terrible. Events are such an elegant way to implement expensive card ideas.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 10, 2020, 01:31:01 pm »
+3

I for one would be glad for an expansion of just landscapes. I certainly think there is potential for more Landmarks - you can make ordinarily unplayable cards a must-buy with one of those in the right circumstances.

I would also like to get even more Landmarks, but I think that an expansion of just landscapes (and other horizontal cards) would be a bad move businesswise. I may be wrong, but I suspect that a non-negligible part of potential buyers would think that they will could manage with just their own printouts for those cards, which probably isn't a big thing with cards that are in your deck.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #156 on: March 10, 2020, 02:05:46 pm »
+1

I for one would be glad for an expansion of just landscapes. I certainly think there is potential for more Landmarks - you can make ordinarily unplayable cards a must-buy with one of those in the right circumstances.

I would also like to get even more Landmarks, but I think that an expansion of just landscapes (and other horizontal cards) would be a bad move businesswise. I may be wrong, but I suspect that a non-negligible part of potential buyers would think that they will could manage with just their own printouts for those cards, which probably isn't a big thing with cards that are in your deck.

It'd also be the first expansion that wasn't playable with just itself + a pack of base cards, and an unsound business decision in that respect.

villafan001

• Steward
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 10, 2020, 02:23:05 pm »

It'd also be the first expansion that wasn't playable with just itself + a pack of base cards, and an unsound business decision in that respect.

I suppose a man can dream...it could be a way to go back to small expansions though, to pad them with extra horizontals.

ben_king

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ben.king
  • formerly grsbmd
  • Respect: +612
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 10, 2020, 02:42:17 pm »
+3

I suppose a man can dream...it could be a way to go back to small expansions though, to pad them with extra horizontals.

Why would you want a small expansion, though, when you could have a large expansion?

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 10, 2020, 03:34:36 pm »
+1

Why would you want a small expansion, though, when you could have a large expansion?
I expect if landscapes were to ever return, they’ll just be added to a large expansion like when events returned in Empires and Menagerie. Who knows, maybe we get a promo landmark some day.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 10, 2020, 04:47:27 pm »
+3

I just want you to know that I’m extremely grateful for the extra effort you put in, not only previewing even more things, but also following the threads and clarifying things for us as we go! Is it possible to ask for a preview containing just the names of all the non-previewed cards from the expansion?
Thanks, but I am going to leave it at a card a day; there isn't long to wait for the names anyway. If the set gets delayed a day or two, the rulebook still may not.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 10, 2020, 04:47:50 pm »

Who knows, maybe we get a promo landmark some day.

Summon.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 10, 2020, 05:59:06 pm »
+2

Summon.

Summon's an event, though, not a landmark
They/them

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 10, 2020, 06:14:34 pm »

Late to the thread, but is Militia a problem yet?  Village Green could have been worded like Tunnel.  It's not unreasonable for the implied rules to be "yeah, it's basically like Tunnel".

Militia's a debate because you can choose "now" for Village Green. The question is, "what if I discard down to three, but then I react and play a Village Green so I have 4 cards? Do I have to discard another one?" If they're discarded at once, and then reactions take effect, then the answer is "no, you've already discarded." But if they're discarded one-at-a-time, the answer is, "yes, you have finished discarding a card, and you have reacted to it. Now you have to check if there are more than 3 cards in your hand. There are, so discard another one."

Alternatively, just pick "next turn" and you not only get that card in your hand, but you're protected from other discard attacks and get to use the +Actions the card has to offer. A few edge cases where you wouldn't want to do that (e.g. Possession, Tormentor) but it's not a problem that will pop up in most games.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 10, 2020, 06:37:23 pm »
+1

Summon.

Summon's an event, though, not a landmark

Thought it said landscape. Oops.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

guidobass

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: guidobass
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 10, 2020, 07:11:56 pm »

In order to match rulebook rulings (e.g., they only get to see one card), I think Militia has to be "pick the order, then discard them all at once." So that's my tentative ruling.

But if you are discarding 2 Reaction cards do you only get to use the one you leave on top, as you have lost track of the Reaction that doesn't get shown?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 10, 2020, 07:27:00 pm »
+3

In order to match rulebook rulings (e.g., they only get to see one card), I think Militia has to be "pick the order, then discard them all at once." So that's my tentative ruling.

But if you are discarding 2 Reaction cards do you only get to use the one you leave on top, as you have lost track of the Reaction that doesn't get shown?
Lose-track / stop-moving (who knew that changing the name would just mean saying both names) no longer loses stuff in the discard pile. You can use both reactions. We can concoct a scenario where you can't use one of the reactions because the other causes you to shuffle your discard pile into your deck.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 10, 2020, 09:06:38 pm »

Lose-track / stop-moving (who knew that changing the name would just mean saying both names) no longer loses stuff in the discard pile. You can use both reactions. We can concoct a scenario where you can't use one of the reactions because the other causes you to shuffle your discard pile into your deck.

Even before the discard / stop-moving errata, you were able to use a Tunnel that was discarded with another card on top of it. Is there a rule that if a discarded Tunnel gets shuffled into your deck because of another reaction, that you can’t still use the Tunnel? Stop-moving doesn’t stop Tunnel from working, does it?

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 10, 2020, 09:11:53 pm »

Even before the discard / stop-moving errata, you were able to use a Tunnel that was discarded with another card on top of it. Is there a rule that if a discarded Tunnel gets shuffled into your deck because of another reaction, that you can’t still use the Tunnel? Stop-moving doesn’t stop Tunnel from working, does it?

The reason it was possible to reveal a covered Tunnel from your discard pile must have been because you knew where the Tunnel was (and revealing it was not moving it, so lose-track didn't enter into it even when covered cards in discard were lost-track of). But if you actually shuffle the Tunnel, how can you reveal it?

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 10, 2020, 10:01:02 pm »
+3

Late to the thread, but is Militia a problem yet?  Village Green could have been worded like Tunnel.  It's not unreasonable for the implied rules to be "yeah, it's basically like Tunnel".

Militia's a debate because you can choose "now" for Village Green. The question is, "what if I discard down to three, but then I react and play a Village Green so I have 4 cards? Do I have to discard another one?" If they're discarded at once, and then reactions take effect, then the answer is "no, you've already discarded." But if they're discarded one-at-a-time, the answer is, "yes, you have finished discarding a card, and you have reacted to it. Now you have to check if there are more than 3 cards in your hand. There are, so discard another one."

Alternatively, just pick "next turn" and you not only get that card in your hand, but you're protected from other discard attacks and get to use the +Actions the card has to offer. A few edge cases where you wouldn't want to do that (e.g. Possession, Tormentor) but it's not a problem that will pop up in most games.

Of course, in actual games you can do that. But the rules need to support these ridiculous scenarios, don't they? Besides, edge-cases are fun!
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

dsplaisted

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 11, 2020, 02:06:15 am »

My son loves Dominion and chickens are his favorite animal.

When he heard about the theme of this set he wanted to know if there would be a chicken card.

Can you spoil any chicken-related cards?

Thanks!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 11, 2020, 02:49:28 am »
+2

When he heard about the theme of this set he wanted to know if there would be a chicken card.

Can you spoil any chicken-related cards?
I don't know if this will do much for you, but there's one in the art for Livery.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 11, 2020, 02:57:22 am »
+7

Bonus Preview 5: Gamble

Here's another Event. They travel in pairs.

Sometimes, it's really a gamble. Sometimes you know what card is next. Sometimes you even just bought it.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 11, 2020, 03:08:15 am »
+1

Sometimes, it's really a gamble. Sometimes you know what card is next. Sometimes you even just bought it.

Hunh, so this gives you the opportunity to play a Treasure card after buying something else!  Interesting twist!
They/them

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 11, 2020, 03:17:17 am »
+1

another card contributing to infinite loops, huh

awesome
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.