Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Menagerie Previews 5: More Cards  (Read 31992 times)

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
Re: Menagerie Previews 5: More Cards
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2020, 06:02:18 am »
+1

Does black cat interact with possession?

Depends on what you mean. When possessing somebody, you can make them gain a Victory card, which then you gain instead. So you can make the Possessed player play Black Cat as Reaction. Since it is the possessed player's turn, they only draw 2 cards (which can be usefull if the gain happened during the Action phase), no Curses for anyone.

If you had something else in minde, please elaborate.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2020, 07:20:12 am »

Does cost reduction apply to Wayfarer’s changed cost? Or does Wayfarer’s text set exactly what the cost now is?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2020, 07:30:32 am »
+2

Does black cat interact with possession?

A possessed player cannot gain cards, so you cannot make your opponent gain a victory card in order to trigger your own Black Cat.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2020, 07:36:17 am »
+5

One weird thing about Wayfarer is that the text basically makes it impossible to ever create a second card with the same ability; because then you could get a self-referential circle.

Ingix

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2020, 07:40:45 am »
+3

Does cost reduction apply to Wayfarer’s changed cost? Or does Wayfarer’s text set exactly what the cost now is?

If during a turn nothing was gained yet, or only Wayfarers were gained, cost reducers behave as normal and apply to the $6 cost of Wayfarer.

If a non-Wayfarer card was gained, then the cost of that card is calculated (taking cost reducers into account), and it becomes the new cost for Wayfarer (which doesn't apply cost reducers in addition). The cost of the gained card is continuously monitored, and if it changes (say Canal was bought), so changes the cost of Wayfarer.

Of course, everything resets when the next turn comes around.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2020, 07:46:13 am »
+1

If during a turn nothing was gained yet, or only Wayfarers were gained, cost reducers behave as normal and apply to the $6 cost of Wayfarer.

If a non-Wayfarer card was gained, then the cost of that card is calculated (taking cost reducers into account), and it becomes the new cost for Wayfarer (which doesn't apply cost reducers in addition). The cost of the gained card is continuously monitored, and if it changes (say Canal was bought), so changes the cost of Wayfarer.

Of course, everything resets when the next turn comes around.

Ok, so Quarry will have no effect on Wayfarer’s cost if a treasure was the last card gained then. It’s not the way I would have intuitively read the text; but I suppose it was necessary to avoid a single Bridge having a double effect on the cost.

Part of it is just a MTG background and the fact that it works differently there... if something sets a creature’s power to 3, and something else gives creatures +1 power, the creature will end up with power 4, because the +1 is calculated after the setting to 3.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2020, 07:55:46 am »

When you Mastermind a Duration, do they both stay out until the final target has resolved? Masterminding a Mastermind doesn't seem nearly that amazing anymore then.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2020, 08:25:24 am »
+2

When you Mastermind a Duration, do they both stay out until the final target has resolved? Masterminding a Mastermind doesn't seem nearly that amazing anymore then.

Yup, when a card plays a Duration, it stays out until the Duration goes away.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2020, 09:37:02 am »
+3

They spend a lot of time thinking, you see.
My opponent has more loot than me

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2020, 09:44:36 am »
+6

Achievement I want to unlock:

Gain Platinum, buy Farmland, trash Wayfarer, gain Colony.

Ingix

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2020, 09:47:02 am »
+2

Yup, when a card plays a Duration, it stays out until the Duration goes away.

Only if it plays it a second or further time. Vassal/Herald/Golem don't stay out, for example. Of course, Mastermind is playing a card thrice.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2020, 09:53:05 am »
+5

Achievement I want to unlock:

Gain Platinum, buy Farmland, trash Wayfarer, gain Colony.
Related pro tip: don't try to combo Ritual with Wayfarer
My opponent has more loot than me

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2020, 09:58:30 am »

Procession-Wayfarer is pretty hilarious. It allows you to cycle through cards as you trash them instead of reaching the end at the top price point, but you have to be extremely careful about it.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2020, 10:09:10 am »
+7

Fun synergy I just spotted: having played Stonemason and chosen your first Action card to gain, your second choice can always be Wayfarer.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2020, 10:10:50 am »
+3

Fun synergy I just spotted: having played Stonemason and chosen your first Action card to gain, your second choice can always be Wayfarer.

This works for both playing and overpaying for Stonemason, right?

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2020, 10:27:53 am »
+2

I love how Black Cat finally does the idea of a reaction that attacks while simultaneously answering the question of how people would moat it and not being worse than Embargoing the Provinces.

Also, KITTY!

And I like how Wayfarer has a built-in way to lower its own cost even if there are no other gainers or +buy available.

And finally, thanks Donald for another awesome previews week! It's like when my favorite musicians release a lead single but cooler. And I can't wait to see what's coming in the next few weeks as well.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 10:30:13 am by J Reggie »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3190
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2020, 10:29:05 am »
+1

Wayfarer is a brave soul in the shrinking realm of big-money enablers

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2020, 10:48:02 am »
+3

This works for both playing and overpaying for Stonemason, right?

Oh dang, that's true. Trash an Estate for a Copper and a Wayfarer. I think I'd take that deal.

rickert

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
    • Rick's Rec Room
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2020, 10:49:24 am »
+1

I would like to request seeing another reaction card.

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2020, 11:29:38 am »

Black Cat is awesome!
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2020, 11:57:17 am »

EDIT: Oh I realized that it says "last other card". Nice way to avoid self-referentiality, but now I want to break it. It's actually fairly easy; just gain a Curse, and then 2 Wayfarers. Now Wayfarer B has the cost of Wayfarer A, and Wayfarer A has the cost of Wayfarer B. But what is the cost?
It's "other" meaning "other than a Wayfarer." Which the rulebook clarifies.

Too bad that "other than a Wayfarer" didn't make it onto the card (like on Golem, Rats, Vampire...). Now it has the same wording as Urchin but is functionally different it seems.

Or is it? Even if "other" just meant "other card", can it create cost loops? A basic rule is that gains always happen sequentially; you never gain two cards at once. So Wayfarer A would have the cost of the Curse, and Wayfarer B would have the cost of Wayfarer A, right? Does it ever make a difference that "other card" means "other than Wayfarer"?

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2020, 11:58:45 am »

The problem with Wayfarer is that we play offline with pre-errata rules (hard to remember errata rules when they're not printed!).  So if I gain and play a Band of Misfits, what happens?  I guess we do whatever we want.

I really like Black Cat and Coven, late-game cursing is a great space that I'm glad is getting explored more.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2020, 12:00:14 pm »
+1

How does Wayfarer work with Noble Brigand?  If you gained both a Silver and a Gold from the trash with Noble Brigand, which one counts as "the last card gained"?  Do you get to choose the order you gain the Treasures?

You never gain two cards at once. Yes, you get to choose the order, for instance with Develop. If you trash a Treasure from several players with Noble Brigand, you get to choose the order.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2020, 12:01:23 pm »
+1

EDIT: Oh I realized that it says "last other card". Nice way to avoid self-referentiality, but now I want to break it. It's actually fairly easy; just gain a Curse, and then 2 Wayfarers. Now Wayfarer B has the cost of Wayfarer A, and Wayfarer A has the cost of Wayfarer B. But what is the cost?
It's "other" meaning "other than a Wayfarer." Which the rulebook clarifies.

Too bad that "other than a Wayfarer" didn't make it onto the card (like on Golem, Rats, Vampire...). Now it has the same wording as Urchin but is functionally different it seems.

Or is it? Even if "other" just meant "other card", can it create cost loops? A basic rule is that gains always happen sequentially; you never gain two cards at once. So Wayfarer A would have the cost of the Curse, and Wayfarer B would have the cost of Wayfarer A, right? Does it ever make a difference that "other card" means "other than Wayfarer"?
No; Wayfarer A would have the cost of Wayfarer B, which is the last card you gained. Wayfarer B, which is not looking at itself, would seek that last gained card other than itself - which is Wayfarer A, since that was gained after the Curse.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2020, 12:03:33 pm »

No; Wayfarer A would have the cost of Wayfarer B, which is the last card you gained. Wayfarer B, which is not looking at itself, would seek that last gained card other than itself - which is Wayfarer A, since that was gained after the Curse.

Right, thanks. I forgot that the cost alteration applies to all Wayfarers wherever they are.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 1.008 seconds with 21 queries.