Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All

Author Topic: Menagerie Previews 4: Ways and Events  (Read 55064 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Menagerie Previews 4: Ways and Events
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2020, 10:26:13 am »
+3

Even if you don't want all cards from Populate, it has some extreme potential synergies (don't know how many of these will actually be good in a given game, though): gardens, vineyards, and philosopher's stone come to mind. Like mxdata said, watchtower in hand is actually really good, too.

Buy Populate, then buy Commerce. Enjoy your 10 Golds (that you probably don't want in a deck that can make and just got 10 new action cards).

Twist: The game also has Tomb, and you have a Watchtower in hand. Good-bye 10 Gold! Hello 10 VP!

When you trash something with Watchtower, you still gained it first.  So you could Populate, trash all 10 actions, then Commerce and trash all 10 golds.  Goodbye 10 actions AND 10 Gold!  Hello 20 VP!

Except that that would require Tomb + Commerce + Populate, three different landscape cards

That's technically not a rule, just a recommendation by Donald.

I want to play a game with every Way, every Project, every Event, and every Landmark.

That game would be chaos coming from every which Way.

The time when Way puns stop being funny is very far a-Way.

One of the great things about the Wiki and my Chrome extension is that in addition to showing you cards; they also show you the Way.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2020, 10:27:53 am »

Even if you don't want all cards from Populate, it has some extreme potential synergies (don't know how many of these will actually be good in a given game, though): gardens, vineyards, and philosopher's stone come to mind. Like mxdata said, watchtower in hand is actually really good, too.

Buy Populate, then buy Commerce. Enjoy your 10 Golds (that you probably don't want in a deck that can make and just got 10 new action cards).

Twist: The game also has Tomb, and you have a Watchtower in hand. Good-bye 10 Gold! Hello 10 VP!

When you trash something with Watchtower, you still gained it first.  So you could Populate, trash all 10 actions, then Commerce and trash all 10 golds.  Goodbye 10 actions AND 10 Gold!  Hello 20 VP!

Except that that would require Tomb + Commerce + Populate, three different landscape cards

I want to play a game with every Way

You only need the

Way of the Puns

Come up with a pun for any way, then follow its instructions.

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2020, 10:48:28 am »
+2

Way of the turtle has some interesting combos.

Lining up your treasure maps is now gauranteed. Also, this is another way for you to gain an imp from your tormentor and not end your action phase.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2020, 10:49:35 am »

Obelisk = Nobles + Ferry - Smithy - Way of the Ox

Interesting.

It's true! Obelisk is like a card worth 2 VP each costing $6 that gives either +2 Actions or +3 Cards, minus $2 on the cost, minus the +3 Cards and the being a card and the cost of $4, minus the +2 Actions; so it's just like "worth 2 VP each"

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2020, 11:18:50 am »

I want to play a game with every Way, every Project, every Event, and every Landmark.

That game would be chaos coming from every which Way.

The time when Way puns stop being funny is very far a-Way.

One of the great things about the Wiki and my Chrome extension is that in addition to showing you cards; they also show you the Way.

That shameless self-punotion.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 06, 2020, 11:21:05 am »
+4

Btw, I've returned to this forum for the previews but stayed here for the puns (and weird card algebra. Is that a thing now?)
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 06, 2020, 01:01:38 pm »

Lining up your treasure maps is now gauranteed. Also, this is another way for you to gain an imp from your tormentor and not end your action phase.

Not quite guaranteed.  If you Turtle one map away, you can only use it if you draw the second map with your initial 5-card hand, since the Turtled card can only be used at the start of your turn.  If you draw the second map during your turn (unless, of course, it's with a start-of-turn draw like a Den of Sin or a Turtled draw that you resolved first), you're out of luck.  And note that it wouldn't work to Turtle the second map either, because it says to trash a second map from your hand, and cards that are set aside are not in your hand
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 06, 2020, 01:10:40 pm »

Not quite guaranteed.  If you Turtle one map away, you can only use it if you draw the second map with your initial 5-card hand, since the Turtled card can only be used at the start of your turn.  If you draw the second map during your turn (unless, of course, it's with a start-of-turn draw like a Den of Sin or a Turtled draw that you resolved first), you're out of luck.  And note that it wouldn't work to Turtle the second map either, because it says to trash a second map from your hand, and cards that are set aside are not in your hand
Although .... if you had a Turtled Treasure Map and a Turtled Hunting Grounds, and the second Treasure Map was in your hand at the start of your turn, you could choose to resolve the Treasure Map first, gaining 4 golds on to your deck, and then immediately drawing all four of them with your Hunting Grounds!
They/them

FrenziedHavoc

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: FrenziedHavoc
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2020, 01:58:37 pm »

Where did the name 'Way' come from? Did it start out that way?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 06, 2020, 02:15:59 pm »
+1

No, if you didn't have your second treasure map in your initial 5-card hand, you would just Turtle the first Treasure Map again. And repeat until it does line up. Yes, if you draw the second Treasure Map at some point during your turn, you've missed it for that shuffle. But if you are drawing a lot each turn anyway; then you wouldn't use Turtle on Treasure Map to start with.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 06, 2020, 02:30:25 pm »
+1

No, if you didn't have your second treasure map in your initial 5-card hand, you would just Turtle the first Treasure Map again. And repeat until it does line up. Yes, if you draw the second Treasure Map at some point during your turn, you've missed it for that shuffle. But if you are drawing a lot each turn anyway; then you wouldn't use Turtle on Treasure Map to start with.

Okay, that's a good point.  You'd almost certainly hit it after a couple of reshuffles.  Still, it's not completely guaranteed, since you could still miss it on each reshuffle

.... Although I just realized that Cobbler and a Turtled Treasure Map would be an absolute guarantee, since Cobbler gains a card costing up to $4 (which Treasure Map is) to your hand at the start of your turn!  Since you get to choose the order of start-of-turn effects, choose Cobbler first, gain that second Treasure Map, then play your Turtled Map!
They/them

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2020, 02:54:12 pm »
+1

Where did the name 'Way' come from? Did it start out that way?

Yes. The Ways never had any other theme.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2020, 03:37:03 pm »

Way of the Turtle + Innovation - buy a card, play it with Innovation, and choose the Way to play it at the start of your next turn.  Like a Summons that works for any Action card!  Or actually even better, since you can keep Turtling it as long as you need to.  That could potentially set up some massive megaturns!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 03:41:03 pm by mxdata »
They/them

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 06, 2020, 08:41:10 pm »

After Animal Fair, Ways are another way to ruin Ruins.

BTW, Chapel, Moneylender and Treasure Map are even much better with Ways.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 08:56:58 pm by King Leon »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 07, 2020, 07:18:08 pm »
+3

Looking at the list of Way names*, I'm wondering whether it's the Goat or the Rat that trashes.

(* http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?title=Menagerie_(expansion)&diff=47454&oldid=47447)

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2020, 07:32:29 pm »

I wonder if there'll be any promotional Ways at some point.  So far there's only been one promotional landscape card, but it seems like a promotional Way could be a cool idea
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 07, 2020, 08:32:51 pm »

Looking at the list of Way names*, I'm wondering whether it's the Goat or the Rat that trashes.

(* http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?title=Menagerie_(expansion)&diff=47454&oldid=47447)

Could be both, doing it different ways, like "+$1 Trash a card from your hand" for Goat and "+1 Card +1 Action Trash a card from your hand" for Rats, both based on the cards with those names

I would predict that Way of the Squirrel has some way of setting a card from your hand aside for the next turn (a different card, not itself), fitting the theme of a squirrel storing nuts away for the future.  Or maybe it turns a card into a duration card.  That would be cool, like "This turn, do nothing.  At the start of your next turn, follow the directions on this card"
They/them

Trumplestiltskin

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Trumplestiltskin
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 07, 2020, 09:04:32 pm »

Can you play Sheepdog as a Way during your buy phase when you gain?

I didn't get the option to play it as Way of the Mole.

Game #36702705 turn 17

Oyvind

• Golem
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 07, 2020, 10:43:55 pm »

I知 guessing goat. I think rat would be something like ォGain a copy of thisサ.

Also, my guess is that the goat has the ォan unused actionサ text. Maybe something like ォ-1 action. If you still have an unused action, trash a cardサ. I知 guessing that a straight up ォTrash a cardサ would be too game-changing.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 07, 2020, 10:54:18 pm »

I would predict that Way of the Squirrel has some way of setting a card from your hand aside for the next turn (a different card, not itself), fitting the theme of a squirrel storing nuts away for the future.  Or maybe it turns a card into a duration card.  That would be cool, like "This turn, do nothing.  At the start of your next turn, follow the directions on this card"

Isn't that one already the Way of the Turtle?

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 07, 2020, 11:59:37 pm »

Isn't that one already the Way of the Turtle?

No, Way of the Turtle sets itself aside, this would be setting another card aside
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 08, 2020, 12:01:34 am »

Also, my guess is that the goat has the ォan unused actionサ text. Maybe something like ォ-1 action. If you still have an unused action, trash a cardサ. I知 guessing that a straight up ォTrash a cardサ would be too game-changing.

"Gain a copy of this" would be way too powerful though, unless it had something like "If this card costs $4 or less, gain a copy of it".  Otherwise, you could buy one copy of an expensive action, and then make multiple copies of it
They/them

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2020, 12:07:21 am »
+1

"Gain a copy of this" would be way too powerful though, unless it had something like "If this card costs $4 or less, gain a copy of it".  Otherwise, you could buy one copy of an expensive action, and then make multiple copies of it

I mean, the ones we've seen so far have all been game-warping in their own Way, so why would that be so bad?
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Oyvind

• Golem
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 08, 2020, 05:17:43 am »
+3

I mean, the ones we've seen so far have all been game-warping in their own Way, so why would that be so bad?

:) I wasn稚 Way off:

http://imgur.com/vf17Yf1.png

Although I didn稚 predict the ォdiscard a Treasureサ-part.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 05:19:15 am by Oyvind »

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 08, 2020, 01:16:27 pm »
+1

Okay, that's a good point.  You'd almost certainly hit it after a couple of reshuffles.  Still, it's not completely guaranteed, since you could still miss it on each reshuffle

.... Although I just realized that Cobbler and a Turtled Treasure Map would be an absolute guarantee, since Cobbler gains a card costing up to $4 (which Treasure Map is) to your hand at the start of your turn!  Since you get to choose the order of start-of-turn effects, choose Cobbler first, gain that second Treasure Map, then play your Turtled Map!

It's impossible to miss a treasure map on the reshuffle; you still get the card.

Turn 1 and 2 buy silver and tm
Turn 3 and 4 buy tm and pass
By turn 5 you automatically have started turtling your tm. Now it's just a matter of when you draw your 2nd tm. guaranteed turn 5-7.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.