Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Odyssey: A 30 Cards Fan Set in Need of Input  (Read 5156 times)

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1114
    • View Profile
    • a
Re: Odyssey: A 30 Cards Fan Set in Need of Input
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2020, 11:10:22 pm »
+1

Oooh I see. I misread your post as you saying that the first bar was the superfluous one. I see now that it's the second one and that yeah, it can be lost. The Reaction and Reserve part are things that both happen when you don't play the card and can be pooled together. I understand. I will remove it. Thank you for that insight.
Bottom text

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2020, 10:13:11 am »
+1

Check out the card Pillage. It allows you to discard a card you choose from your opponent's hand. This effect is so powerful, that the card costs , is trashed when used (a one-shot), is terminal, and gives you no benefit the turn you play it, and only works if the player has 5 cards in hand.

Bushfire is non-terminal, trashes instead of discards, also gains you a card, and is not a one-shot. And while you can't choose which card you want to discard, and is not limited to hands of 5 cards.

And while you can't freely choose what to discard with Bushfire, the most expensive non-victory card is often what you would choose anyway.

Basically Bushfire is completely broken at any cost as worded. Allowing the player to draw one card first helps but doesn't fix it. Your opponent are still going to have a terrible hand going into the next turn while also losing all of the best cards from their deck.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2020, 10:33:04 am »

Maybe, just like Pillage, it could self trash once used. Seems in-theme anyway, as the Bushfire ravaged the lands and is now gone. Also, maybe your opponents could, instead of drawing a card, gain to their hand a non-Victory card costing up to 1 less than what they've just trashed. Bushfire would act as though, again, the land has been burned down and is now lesser than what it was. Would this seem more reasonable?

I like the +1 Action part of it though, because it allows you to immediately play what you've just gained.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 10:40:59 am by X-tra »
Bottom text

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2020, 12:17:11 pm »

the horizontal bar doesn't separate "action" and "reaction" - it separates things that happen when you play the card (includes "while this is in play" portions) and "things that happen when the card isnt in play" and that includes reactions, on-buy/gain/trash, tavern mat, etc.

If I'm reading this correctly, it's wrong. "while this is in play" things are separated from "things that happen when you play the card". See Highway. The horizontal bar simply separates things that happen at different times.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2020, 12:24:29 pm »

the horizontal bar doesn't separate "action" and "reaction" - it separates things that happen when you play the card (includes "while this is in play" portions) and "things that happen when the card isnt in play" and that includes reactions, on-buy/gain/trash, tavern mat, etc.

If I'm reading this correctly, it's wrong. "while this is in play" things are separated from "things that happen when you play the card". See Highway. The horizontal bar simply separates things that happen at different times.

ah yeah thats my bad; there still shouldnt be a bar between the call and the reaction, though, right?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2020, 12:49:29 pm »
+2

ah yeah thats my bad; there still shouldnt be a bar between the call and the reaction, though, right?

I think both bars are correct. Note that the Reserve part here is actually just a second reaction; reacting to a different thing. The point of the line isn't to separate "action" from "reaction" but to separate things that happen at different times. So in this case, the action happens at a certain time, and each reaction happens at a different time as well. There are no official dominion cards with 2 separate reactions on them, though.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2020, 10:59:39 am »

I tried to correct the cards once again. Some of them were still not up to part with Dominion's standards of quality. Maybe they are more acceptable with these changes?

Bar

(This card’s cost is 1$ more for each Bar on any Tavern mat.)
Put this on your Tavern mat.
At the start of your turn, you may call this to choose: +1$ and put this on your Tavern mat during your Clean-up phase; or +2$ and trash this.

Simply reworded the first option of the choice once called.

Bushfire

+1 Action
Trash this. Each other player reveals their hand, trash the non-Victory card that costs the most $ and may gain to their hand a non-Victory card costing up to 1$ less than what they’ve trashed. You may gain to your hand a card costing up to 1$ less than the trashed card that costed the most $.

Yet another attempt at fixing the unpleasant Bushfire. In this version, Bushfire self-trahes, just like the Attack card Pillage does. It isn’t a hand reducer anymore. Granted, other players must take a card to keep the status quo of their hand size, but the option is there. Bushfire also mentions that the highest trashed card’s currency must be in $.

Cardinal

+1 Action
+1$
Put this on your Tavern mat.
1 VP

This Cardinal gives you 1$. Once in a game. This isn’t too strong of a bonus, but it does increases its strength to try to catch-up with the similar Great Hall.

Chalicel

+2$
When you gain a Treasure, you may reveal this from your hand to put this on your Tavern mat.
When you gain a card, you may call this to trash it instead. You may gain a Silver in your hand if you do.

It now give a vanilla +2$ instead of +1$ and +1 Card. Folks here have suggested that a simple +Card with no extra Actions is a bittersweet bonus. I agree. +2$ for the Chalice seems more on-par with its theme anyway. Also, when you trash a gained card, you may now add a Silver in your hand if you want to. This new bonus also helps to active other Chalices in your hand if you take that Silver, so the wheel turns.
Thinking about this, Chalice isn’t too much weaker than Watchtower. Unlike Watchtower, Chalice is ALWAYS ready to be used once it is on your Tavern mat. You aren’t required to have it in your hand when, say, you get Cursed by a Witch to trash that curse. It is somewhat more reliable in that regard. It also might discourage an Attacker with a Curser who wouldn’t have hesitated before, since they see that Chalice right there on your Tavern mat. Downside is, Chalice takes a little something (gaining a Treasure) to be active. I think it might be okay, but I’d like to hear arguments that proves me wrong.
As a side note, I decided to keep the second vertical bar.

Crook

+2$
Each other player reveals the top 3 cards of their deck. They discard one. Among the 2 others, they trash the one with the highest $ cost up to 6$ and put back the remainder on their deck.

Kissed the +1 Action goodbye. Now, it gives +2$. Just like Militia does. The highest trashed card’s currency must be in $.

Possessed Witch

At the start of each of your turns where this is in play, each other player gains a Curse in their hand.
When any player plays or gain a Possessed Witch, discard this.

Fixed the fact that the Possessed Witch’s Cursing effect was still active even when that card was out-of-play.

Scrapyard

+2 Cards
+1$
You may trash an entire Action Supply pile if there are 4 cards or less in it.

Thinking about this again, I think it’s fair to say that 5 cards were too high for Scrapyard to trash. 4 seems better.

Shoppers

1$
+1 Buy
This turn, when you buy a 2nd differently named card, +1 Buy and +5$.

Shoppers lost its vertical bar. Took Aquila’s wording for the buy effect thingy. Thank you!

Town Center

+1 Card
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
+2$
During your Clean-up phase, if you had any unused Actions this turn, draw 1 fewer card for your next hand.

Town Center’s hand size reduction penalty won’t automatically occur the moment you play that card anymore (which would back then always trigger because of the +2 Actions given by the card itself).

Trap

+1 Card
+1 Action
Put this card on any Action Supply pile where the first card isn’t a Trap.
When you buy this, if this is the first time this turn you buy a Trap, you may trash this for +1 Buy.

Turned this little monster into a cantrip. Added an on buy condition which prevents players to deplete the entire Trap pile if they have enough Treasures.

Vigilante

+2 Actions
When another player plays an Attack card, you may first discard this to gain to your hand a copy of that Attack card from the Supply.

Decreased the price again. Now evaluated at 4$.

Wonder

+1 Action
Do this 2 times: +1 Card, then you may discard 1 card for +1$.
2 VP

Further buffed this with the possibility to collect up to 2$ from the Wonder. Tried to make it stronger than Warehouse, which is cheaper. I think it is worth its price now (I tried to compare Wonder with the equally priced, 2 VP giver Harem. Or Nobles, for that matter).
Bottom text
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.845 seconds with 21 queries.