Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Action-Victories  (Read 3209 times)

MrSir712

• Pearl Diver
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrSir712
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
Action-Victories
« on: January 10, 2020, 11:34:39 pm »
+1

This is not a rules question, just to address those of you who like answering rules questions.

Instead I'm asking about one of the things that has come in when exploring all of the official cards, and that's that there are only two sets with Action-Victory cards: Intrigue and Empires. Now, Distant Lands from Adventures is Action-Victory-Reserve, but its Action part is hardly significant to any more than one play of the game.

I feel like there's so much ground left to be covered on the front of Action-Victory cards, and I'd be delighted to see more. For instance, why not try a Peddler variant with 2VP tagged on it; price it at $6. That's one of my favorite parts about Intrigue, and it's what makes the Castles from Empires so much fun, because they're Victory cards that do other things.

Is there any issue I'm missing with the creation of lots of these Victory cards? Does it raise certain dilemmas? There may be something I'm missing here, or perhaps it was just designed that way with no specific outlook on that type. I don't know. It'd be nice to know, though, so what are your thoughts?

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
Re: Action-Victories
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 12:03:24 am »
+2

I think the main issue is just that the victory points don't add a whole lot to most of those cards, and victory tokens arguably do better at the "ways to gain points without dead cards"

That said, I am also fond of cards like Mill and Harem, and I kinda hope that one day there'll be an Action-Treasure-Victory card
They/them

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 12:05:03 am »

you'll find better response with this sort of thing in the variants & fan cards subforum.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 05:00:29 am »
+1

There's also an Action-Victory in Seaside (Island) and in Dark Ages (Dame Josephine). The former is a card where the functionality of the card is one that fits well with being worth VP, the latter one of a bunch of similar cards that all have slightly different secondary abilities, with hers being "is worth VP".
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 07:08:55 am »
+4

For instance, why not try a Peddler variant with 2VP tagged on it; price it at $6.
Emporium with its conditionality seems more interesting that that.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 02:35:08 pm »

Dark Ages (Dame Josephine)
She's an Action-Attack-Victory-Knight. If OP feels (for whatever reason) that an Action-Victory-Reserve card doesn't count then presumably Dame Josephine wouldn't either. And nor would Small or Opulent Castles.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 03:01:23 pm »

Dark Ages (Dame Josephine)
She's an Action-Attack-Victory-Knight. If OP feels (for whatever reason) that an Action-Victory-Reserve card doesn't count then presumably Dame Josephine wouldn't either. And nor would Small or Opulent Castles.

I think OP's issue was just that the action part of Distant Lands only happens once in the game.  Opulent Castle can be used multiple times, and Small Castle *can* be used multiple times, although it usually isn't used more than once or twice in my experience (especially since a lot of times it's used as a self-trasher)

Distant Lands is kind of a weird card though, since normally scoring doesn't care where cards were at the end of the game.  It would probably have made more sense to make it a simple Action-Reserve card with "Place this on your tavern mat.  If you did, +4 VP"  I assume the reason it wasn't done that way is just the practical issue that it would be the only card in that expansion using victory tokens if it was done that way
They/them

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 01:30:38 am »

Inheritance from Adventures seems worth a mention.
My opponent has more loot than me
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.