Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Forced self-possession  (Read 2082 times)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
Forced self-possession
« on: March 20, 2012, 03:40:21 am »

I'm rather new to Dominion and this was one of my first games with Possession.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/20/game-20120320-001339-6fc09e9a.html

I'm sure I didn't play it the best, but it was such a stacked game with king's court, possession, grand market, hunting party, golem, and swindler that it was bound to be good. After a couple of possession turns, I used her golem without thinking and possessed myself. This happened MULTIPLE times, and I even was forced to king's court a possession on myself. My grand turn never quite came together but I got a bit lucky when her possessions were on dead turns. Also, 'courting pirate ships worth $5 is tons of fun until you realize your opponent only has one buy...

When I finally eked out the win, it was my proudest Dominion moment yet.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Re: Forced self-possession
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 04:53:51 am »

You know you can choose to KC nothing, right?
It's not like Throne Room where it's mandatory; KC, even after playing it, is optional.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 05:01:27 am »

Now that you mention it, I did know it was optional. Obviously I was forgetting AND ignoring the text though...caught in a moment. In addition to the crazy set up that was kinda unfamiliar territory for both of us, we were in a hurry, which I think contributed to a few of our dumber mistakes. At one point my opponent swindled herself and turned her golds into golds instead of grand markets, which she realized was possibly a mistake afterwards (maybe not, it would have given me +buy when I possessed her).
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 05:42:30 pm »

It's not like Throne Room where it's mandatory; KC, even after playing it, is optional.

Hasn't Donald stated that TR is meant to be optional like KC, but they overlooked that case when writing the card text?  At the very least, it doesn't have any way to ensure compliance, though that can be built in with online play.  Does isotropic make throning an action mandatory?

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 05:54:46 pm »

Yes, picking an action for Throne Room is mandatory on isotropic.

Donald has mentioned that he later realized that TR would have been better off not mandatory, since it has no way to ensure compliance; but that's just something that would have been nice, not the way the card actually plays, as written.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 05:58:36 pm »

Hasn't Donald stated that TR is meant to be optional like KC, but they overlooked that case when writing the card text?  At the very least, it doesn't have any way to ensure compliance, though that can be built in with online play.  Does isotropic make throning an action mandatory?
Donald has stated that if he could turn back the clock, he'd make TR optional.  However, since it is currently mandatory, that's what we have, and that's what it does.  Sure there isn't any way to ensure compliance, but playing TR and not using it to play that action in your hand is still cheating.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 06:34:14 pm »

Donald has stated that if he could turn back the clock, he'd make TR optional.  However, since it is currently mandatory, that's what we have, and that's what it does.  Sure there isn't any way to ensure compliance, but playing TR and not using it to play that action in your hand is still cheating.

Sure there are ways of ensuring compliance. They just involve third parties. Lucky for us, isotropic is a third party that's impartial and willing.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.513 seconds with 21 queries.