Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Another possible Trader combo: Wishing Well  (Read 3628 times)

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
Another possible Trader combo: Wishing Well
« on: March 01, 2012, 12:41:56 am »

I seem to enjoy trying anything with Trader, and found this one in a board with nothing going on and found it to be relatively strong (though by no means great). The basic concept is to flood your deck with a large amount of silver so that wishing well has a high probability of being a lab. I was getting ~15.25 turns average, but I was playing really quickly. Also, it has a lot more staying power than BM/Smithy, hitting 8 provinces in like ~20.5 turns. Unlike trader/cache, this strategy is really difficult to play correctly (even as a human) and I would be seriously impressed if someone got a decent version of the strategy running on a simulator.

The basic strategy (really, really not optimized)

Open 4/3 Trader/Wishing Well

Trader Order: Estate>Other Trader>Copper>Silver (keeping in mind not to trader away something if it knocks you down from 8)

Wishing Well guessing: Copper early on, silver after 2nd reshuffle (maybe third), taking into account cards seen if you want to be optimal (its hard) If you have a hand like WW-C-C-C-Trader, obviously guess estate if you have any left.

Buy: Wishing well with 3 (I think ALWAYS WW>Silver, though i'm not sure), trader with 4-5 until you get 3-4 of them, gold possibly with 6, province with 8.

I'd love to see if anyone can turn this from a better-than-BMU strategy into something that can challenge BM-Smithy.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
Re: Another possible Trader combo: Wishing Well
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 05:27:51 am »

I messed a bit with the Trader code in my simulator and got this combo up to 40-56 against Smithy BM. I'm sure a human player could add a few percentages (trashing an early Gold for 6 Silvers seems fun, but the sim won't do that sort of thing). Some things I found out:

-open Trader/Wishing Well and not Trader/Silver: the Wishing Well will help you align the Trader and Estate in the early game (seems obvious, but still) and Trader will deliver plenty economy so you'll never have to buy Silvers
-never buy more than one Trader! Yes, this seems weird, but the game is over too fast for all the extra Silvers to matter and a Trader in hand is a liability in the greening stage

(current public version of the sim doesn't play Trader well enough, so don't try this at home)

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 11:04:56 pm »

For this combo, shouldn't Trader trash Silver over Copper? I feel like net gain of 2 Silvers is going to do much more for this build than net loss of a single Copper. (obvious exception being when you need that Silver's buying power on that turn, but could do without the Copper's)
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Puddleglumm

• Steward
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 09:08:21 am »

I seem to enjoy trying anything with Trader, and found this one in a board with nothing going on and found it to be relatively strong (though by no means great). The basic concept is to flood your deck with a large amount of silver so that wishing well has a high probability of being a lab. I was getting ~15.25 turns average, but I was playing really quickly. Also, it has a lot more staying power than BM/Smithy, hitting 8 provinces in like ~20.5 turns. Unlike trader/cache, this strategy is really difficult to play correctly (even as a human) and I would be seriously impressed if someone got a decent version of the strategy running on a simulator.

The basic strategy (really, really not optimized)

Open 4/3 Trader/Wishing Well

Trader Order: Estate>Other Trader>Copper>Silver (keeping in mind not to trader away something if it knocks you down from 8)

Wishing Well guessing: Copper early on, silver after 2nd reshuffle (maybe third), taking into account cards seen if you want to be optimal (its hard) If you have a hand like WW-C-C-C-Trader, obviously guess estate if you have any left.

Buy: Wishing well with 3 (I think ALWAYS WW>Silver, though i'm not sure), trader with 4-5 until you get 3-4 of them, gold possibly with 6, province with 8.

I'd love to see if anyone can turn this from a better-than-BMU strategy into something that can challenge BM-Smithy.
I played this one today just for the heck of it. I got a turn 5 gold and trader'd it on turn 8. Played wishing well 4 times during the course of the game and hit silver every time.  ;D I ended up with 7 provinces in 17 turns. I'm sure I didn't play it optimally, but obviously hitting 100% on wishing well isn't going to happen all the time.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131114/log.516da112e4b082c74d7c3a4d.1384437540259.txt

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 10:35:24 am »
+3

I saw this thread and that O had started it and was super exciting thinking that O was back... Alas just thread necromancy...

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 11:22:30 am »

I saw this thread and that O had started it and was super exciting thinking that O was back... Alas just thread necromancy...

Me too...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 22 queries.