Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25  All

Author Topic: BM28: Joth's Bed Idea Mafia (Game over, Anti-Town Wins)  (Read 65812 times)

raerae

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: raerae
    • View Profile
Re: BM28: Joth's Bed Idea Mafia
« Reply #575 on: December 10, 2019, 12:23:59 pm »

MiX!!  You were right!!

I was wrong: I thought Galzria and Swan were of the same team. I'll take the fall with the rest of us for that.

Yeah but if we'd shot Didds instead of Awaclus I think the day would have opened.  Joth, is that true?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #576 on: December 10, 2019, 12:24:17 pm »

That’s awesome!! And what an interesting field of study. Coolness

Why is CS interesting?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #577 on: December 10, 2019, 12:24:25 pm »

Dammit, joth.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: December 10, 2019, 12:26:25 pm »

MiX!!  You were right!!

I was wrong: I thought Galzria and Swan were of the same team. I'll take the fall with the rest of us for that.

Yeah but if we'd shot Didds instead of Awaclus I think the day would have opened.  Joth, is that true?

Hindsight 20/20 of course...I would only take that as "being right" if I was right about all of the setup.

Also, SK dying D1 is such a tell for this kind of setup, I love it.

Dammit, joth.

Dammit, Glooble!

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: December 10, 2019, 12:27:12 pm »

MiX!!  You were right!!

Yes. In that case the town would be 1 from Awaclus's team and 2 from each other team. Awaclus would be in a kingmaker situation, sort of. I definitely would have run it out.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: December 10, 2019, 12:29:05 pm »

So much fun, Joth!! Thank you!
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: December 10, 2019, 12:29:47 pm »

Yeah, one of my big regrets was not giving SK some kind of protection against being the day 1 lynch. I didn't consider that dynamic.

Here are some other versions of the setup for different player counts btw:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11ophWHulYqKB7xF_NPuw8Tidq-o43MLdsDojg8Tr50A/edit?usp=sharing
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: December 10, 2019, 12:32:20 pm »

That’s awesome!! And what an interesting field of study. Coolness

Why is CS interesting?

Because it is changing really fast and matters rather dramatically in all kinds of ways.  Debatepro is in cybersecurity, and although I have only limited knowledge of what he does, it is super intriguing.  Do you find it interesting? Or when you are down in it, is it just work?
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: December 10, 2019, 12:32:46 pm »

MiX!!  You were right!!

Yes. In that case the town would be 1 from Awaclus's team and 2 from each other team. Awaclus would be in a kingmaker situation, sort of. I definitely would have run it out.

The whole game was a kingmaking scenario, I was this close to just outing my theory if I was hammered to help my team. But if you forget who won, the journey's great, and this game says a lot about the meta of f.ds.

One thing I don't understand...if your scumteam's called "Anti-Town" isn't that a huge tell something's wrong?

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #584 on: December 10, 2019, 12:33:35 pm »

I'm really disappointed in myself for not figuring it out, but in my defense, we were the only team without a scum flip to work off of.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #585 on: December 10, 2019, 12:34:39 pm »

Wait so how were there 0 kills night 1?

He/ Him

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: December 10, 2019, 12:36:26 pm »

So much fun, Joth!! Thank you!

Yessssssssssssssssssss

I'm really disappointed in myself for not figuring it out, but in my defense, we were the only team without a scum flip to work off of.

I wouldn't either, to be honest. Sucks that shraeye being shraeye lost us the game though (Damn you Swan).

We shot Galz who was JK'd by Didds, Galz did his shot and Jimmmmm shot shraeye who was protected by Awaclus.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: December 10, 2019, 12:37:07 pm »

The inspiration for this setup was a friend of mine and Glooble's who loves to invite people over for Spyfall and then, after a few regular games, distracts everyone while he takes all the spy cards out of their respective decks and shuffles them up together, and then sits back cackling while he watches a game with no secret location where everyone thinks they're the spy. It's always funny.

I wanted to run a mafia version of that. I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of it. To me it feels less mean than, say, a game where everyone's town, because you actually could all win. And except for arguably mail-mi, you all had an equal chance of winning. So it was a "real" game, just not really a mafia game.

Finally, once I was committed to the bit I knew that the flavor had to be maximally tongue-in-cheek, especially in retrospect. So I made it all about town, used the word town way too much, and put town in bold green text. I also included a sample town role PM. I really thought these things would tip someone off, honestly.

Strategy-wise, my assumption would be that the best strat for mafia JKs once they figure out the setup would be to always use the jailkeep on their own team. Oddly, only one team considered/adopted this strategy. I also figured the SK would commute every night as long as they could, but mail-mi tells me he would have shot. So who knows.

Anyway, thank you for all being good sports. I was a bit worried this wouldn't go over well.

He/him

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: December 10, 2019, 12:39:24 pm »

This was like my old Artists BM, that was fun to watch.

Sad that I died D1, but it is how it is.

I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #589 on: December 10, 2019, 12:42:13 pm »

Wait, so if we had gone with our original plan and shot Didds, the day would have opened at 3 v 3 with our whole team dead?

He/ Him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: December 10, 2019, 12:42:59 pm »

One thing I don't understand...if your scumteam's called "Anti-Town" isn't that a huge tell something's wrong?

I thought about this a lot but couldn't come up with a good third name that wouldn't give it away. "Baddie" was in contention. But, yeah, they didn't bat an eye at it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mostly because Galz was jailkept and he was the shooter of one nightkill and the intended victim of another. Awaclus's last-minute decision to JK shraeye blocked the third NK.

This was sort of by design, by the way. Three nightkills and three scum flips would have given away the game pretty quickly, so I added 3 JKs, which amounts to 6 chances to block the nightkill, in the hopes that we'd end up with one or two kills. But there was really no way of knowing how that would work out in practice. Zero nightkills was always a possibility, and not the worst one because it would help keep the illusion alive longer.

Without hiding or lying about the flips, the joke had a built-in expiration date. Most of the setup was just about delaying that as long as possible in creative ways.

He/him

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #591 on: December 10, 2019, 12:44:36 pm »

Honestly, though, including a Neighborhood was a stroke of genius.

He/ Him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: December 10, 2019, 12:45:28 pm »

Wait, so if we had gone with our original plan and shot Didds, the day would have opened at 3 v 3 with our whole team dead?

No, it would have been 3 v 2 just the other way around. You would have handed the win to MiX's team, rather than to Didd's team.

Your only move that would have kept you alive would have been to have Awaclus jailkeep you and forgo your nightkill, but that would be a pretty wild strat based on the info you had.

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: December 10, 2019, 12:45:51 pm »

Thank you, I was quite proud of that idea.

He/him

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 10, 2019, 12:46:39 pm »

What, exactly, were you thinking when you asked for Swan's PR in the hood?

Objectively the best part of the setup.

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
Re: BM28: Joth's Bed Idea Mafia (Game over, Anti-Town Wins)
« Reply #595 on: December 10, 2019, 12:48:49 pm »

What, exactly, were you thinking when you asked for Swan's PR in the hood?

Objectively the best part of the setup.

I was looking for cover to hammer you.

He/ Him

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #596 on: December 10, 2019, 12:50:13 pm »

If Swan had told me he was just a neighbor, I would have hammered you, and the next day said, "Well, look, if MiX is the scum neighbor he probably didn't know that the town neighbors didn't have additional powers, that makes more sense to me than joth randomly making one neighbor a doctor."

He/ Him

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #597 on: December 10, 2019, 12:51:17 pm »

As it stood, I felt like if I hammered you and you flipped town I would have been on the chopping block the next day.

He/ Him

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: December 10, 2019, 12:52:04 pm »

So everything Swan said was correct ok.

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #599 on: December 10, 2019, 12:57:25 pm »

So everything Swan said was correct ok.

Hey, I never claimed to be *good* at Mafia.

He/ Him

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25  All

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.