Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A long (endless?) and painful ambassador grind  (Read 765 times)

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
A long (endless?) and painful ambassador grind
« on: March 19, 2012, 03:32:20 am »

If Jeebus reads this I want to apologize for ignoring you in the lobby; after I left the game page I thought you had left.

I almost wanted to do an annotated game off of this, but it's so long (and only halfway completed...) that I'd rather just throw it up here. 

I'll grab the CR log when I can but heres the Iso:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/19/game-20120319-000548-e2102e3a.html

I started this game thinking I was lucky when Jeebus hit 5-2 on an ambassador turn, but his fourth turn (stables->ambassador 2x estate) kind of neutralizes that. I can't help but think that my opening monument was my first critical mistake: While obviously monument likely plays a pretty large role due to the extended nature of the ambassador game, it slowed me down at the start and feels premature now, and the collision risk is just too great.

I went for double-tactician pretty quickly after realizing that his fourth turn was going to set me behind significantly in the dreaded ambassador war; his stables (an excellent call) was highly effective at cycling and drawing his ambassadors constantly. Double-Tact was a bit slow to set up, especially giving that I really needed inn to do more than play a single ambassador a turn. Nevertheless, it did what I wanted it to do: I tied up the ambassador war at least (through strategically ignoring curses than returning two at once) and Jeebus had to abandon cursing me (at one point we had a comical 13 estates in the supply, the largest i've ever seen in 2P).

Unfortunately at this point Jeebus's economy and engine had picked up significantly, with -5 stables and inns, and he started picking up margraves for the +buy and to slow me down a bit. Jeebus correctly kept on ignoring green: a couple provinces in and I could start pounding curses on him if I shaped my deck up a bit first. The result was this bizarre game that by turn 26 had no green cards bought and only 1/10 curses distributed or something.

I pick up a governor: the only card he ignored (he said he doesn't know how to play it at all, and that ambassador was his best card.. which it appears to be). I don't know if transitioning my deck into a governor-doubletact engine would have worked at all (he would still be hitting me with ambassador). It was my only real chance at gaining a lead, since he had a heavy lead on everything else. I play a few turns through and notice (with a small hint of irony) that my deck was too clogged with monuments, ambassadors and a copperless stables to make an effective governor deck (in my opinion), so I resigned on turn 26.

I don't really know how the game would have ended if I didn't resign: jeebus thought Stables/Monuments/Inns might eventually have been 3-piled, but that seems hard to imagine because of the limited coin that existed in his deck and the 0 coin in my deck.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.353 seconds with 22 queries.