Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Diplomat doesn't protect against Swindler  (Read 1553 times)

suhrspamalot

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Diplomat doesn't protect against Swindler
« on: July 23, 2019, 07:15:40 am »

Note: all of the following is within the context of the online game offered at dominion.games

When I play a Diplomat in reaction to a Swindler, the only thing that occurs is that I gain two cards and discard three. No protection against the trashing of a card off my deck.

However, when I play a Diplomat against a Bandit, I'm exempted from the potential trashing of treasure that occurs to other players.

Am I misinterpreting what's occurring during gameplay? If not, why does Diplomat provide protection against one attack and not the other?

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
Re: Diplomat doesn't protect against Swindler
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 07:24:33 am »
+3

Diplomat does not protect you from any attack. It just draws and then discards cards (which makes some attack like Urchin no longer apply since you have one card less in hand). If Bandit did not affect you after revealing Diplomat, then that is a bug. But make sure that neither of these things happened:

a) Bandit actually affected you, but flipped no Treasures other than Copper, so it did not do any harm.
b) You drew a Moat with Diplomat and the Moat was what protected you from Bandit.
c) You had Lighthouse/Champion in play.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Diplomat doesn't protect against Swindler
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 09:29:37 am »
+2

Welcome to the forum!

Wording in Dominion is generally very precise, so be careful not to say that you "played Diplomat" in this situation. As a reaction, Diplomat has something that it does other then letting you play it for its normal ability. So when another player plays an attack card, you can reveal Diplomat from your hand, which does not count as playing Diplomat.

Reaction cards in general are not things that protect you from attacks. Moat happens to be a reaction card that does protect you from Attacks, but that doesn't mean other reaction cards will as well. Because Diplomat's reaction ability would leave you with 4 cards instead of 5 in hand, it can give you protection from an attack such as Minion, which only affects you if you have 5 or more cards in hand.

However, Diplomat's reaction does not interact in any way with either Swindler or Bandit, other than the fact that by drawing cards you will change what card is on top of your draw pile.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.555 seconds with 21 queries.