Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: insane board ... insane game (Goons, NV, Bridge, Tactician, Alchemist ...)  (Read 1115 times)

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/16/game-20120316-000200-6eda19fa.html

This was an absolutely wild set to play. I think the key is that you have Alchemist, Scrying Pool, Tactician, and Native Village - all good megaturn enablers - and Goons and Bridge, which are good to have on megaturns.  Weirdly, we didn't really see any megaturns worth writing about.

I thought I was going to lose right up until the last turn - my opponent was clearly ahead and racing for a pile ending. Finally though, I had a lucky last few turns and managed to snatch victory by one point.

Looking at the set, I immediately figured NV-Bridge would be faster than anything else, maybe with some Goons buys on lucky 6s. But once I saw barca wasn't going to do that I decided I wouldn't either, because it sorta felt like a waste of a good kingdom.

Other interesting thing. Fortune Teller ended up really screwing up my Alchemist buys by making my Potion miss the reshuffle like 3 times (my original plan was to get a solid Alchemist stack going, throw in Goons and FVs, and try to get multiple Goons stacks every turn). Usually I think Fortune Teller is a rubbish attack but this time it got really frustrating. I ended up throwing my strategy out the window and just sort of playing it by ear.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile

Usually I think Fortune Teller is a rubbish attack but this time it got really frustrating. I ended up throwing my strategy out the window and just sort of playing it by ear.

It is potentially a poor attack here since there are three different cards that can clear the top of the deck. More than that, putting curses into your opponent's next hand helps them defend against mountebanks. Using alchemists was the only way to make the fortune teller strong and the alchemists can be vulnerable to goons and mountebanks too.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile

Usually I think Fortune Teller is a rubbish attack but this time it got really frustrating. I ended up throwing my strategy out the window and just sort of playing it by ear.

It is potentially a poor attack here since there are three different cards that can clear the top of the deck. More than that, putting curses into your opponent's next hand helps them defend against mountebanks. Using alchemists was the only way to make the fortune teller strong and the alchemists can be vulnerable to goons and mountebanks too.
Yeah even if you buy all 10 alchemist, one goons and fortune teller limits you to holding 3 a turn...

Pretty sure scrying pool outmatches alchemist, maybe one alchemist to start but that's about it. 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.439 seconds with 21 queries.