Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 68  All

Author Topic: M122: Lalight's run out of ideas Mafia (Game Over! Town won!)  (Read 195425 times)

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
Re: M122: Lalight's run out of ideas Mafia (Day 1!)
« Reply #275 on: April 26, 2019, 02:45:05 pm »

Anyway the thing about this line is I don't think it's obvious. Remember the traitor has not had any time to talk to the other scum. Maybe it occurs to them to claim promoter, maybe it doesn't. But once mcmc says that, then it essentially becomes true. So it's strategically great for scum, but the traitor might not think to do it until mcmc suggests it. On the other hand once town is aware of the possibility the utility goes down (promoter isn't "pseudo IC" anymore.) So is mcmc scummy for pointing it out? COuld go either way. Is MiX scummy for acknowledging mcmc's logic then continuing to push for the claim? I think he is.

Well it had already occured to me, and I'm not even Traitor: why wouldn't they have thought about everything they can do? Oh, and I'm pretty sure scum would care more about consistency: I did notice that when writting it, but I felt like the utility of promoter was...weird...enough for me to say both things. I still don't know if it's good or not, and I'm not sure I need to know it considering we aren't claiming it.

So something just occurred to me.

If we have a scum promoter, they want to set up a town v. town scenario. So they want to target a town player who they think will most likely target another town player. In other words, knowing everybody's reads is really, really helpful to them. We might want to keep a little more mum about who we think is town.

We can take advantage of this situation by Forcing A Promoter Claim...okay I'll stop. Also these are really early reads, although you're right, this seems to matter more later in the day

Also ari is definitely feeling pressure: how many votes are on him?

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 26, 2019, 02:53:23 pm »

For the last time (or maybe just second I can't help myself) me and ari have PERFECT SYNERGY and would behave completely differently! Now I wish I got scum...

In all seriousness, joth just pointed out the non-existence of ari's case, which I think is towny (for joth) and points out...well, how ridiculous ari is. The problem is that in his scum game, he was completely different...but I need to sit down and think about my reads and I haven't done that yet so this feels okay.

I mean, if you had recently played a scum game, and were playing with a bunch of people from that same game, would play in the exact same fashion?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 26, 2019, 02:55:52 pm »

What information (besides PR's, which is why I wanted to wait for a claim before lynching the people that didn't give reasons) does the town have that scum doesn't?

Their own reads, hunches, observations, scum tells, meta reads, town tells -- pretty much everything. And yeah, of course we have to share some of that because otherwise we all just sit here going "hrmm". But we all get to decide what we share and when, and some information is more useful when it's shared later. Let's say, for example, that I think Bob tends to overreact to votes on him when he's scum but not when he's town. Well in that case, maybe I can figure out Bob's alignment by voting for him, getting some other people to vote for him, and then observing his reactions. But if I start off saying "I'm voting for Bob now because I want to see how he reacts to this pressure vote, if he freaks out I'm gonna lynch him" well, that's not going to be super helpful.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 26, 2019, 03:30:57 pm »

I think ari is town. Too.... noisy? I guess is the word I want to use. Very few people can play the game the way ari is playing when they’re scum.

However I do think mix is scum.

vote: mix

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 26, 2019, 03:35:24 pm »

Nah, I'm just incredibly lazy and I'm pushing a (well, I guess it is) anti-town plan. Which IS scummy, but...would scum do that? No idea.

A lot of people are being towny right now...I think I might stick to the basics.

Vote: gkrieg, did he dissapear? Sure seemed like it.

Uncleeurope

• Pawn
    • View Profile
Re: M122: Lalight's run out of ideas Mafia (pms are out. N0.)
« Reply #280 on: April 26, 2019, 03:51:23 pm »

Vote Count 1.2

Clarity is such a beautiful thing, and often underrated by those who are confused. To be introduced to clarity is like taking a bath that cleans befuddlement. Except more like a shower, because baths are gross. These were the thoughts Uncleeurope had as he watched the truth about the Lyncher Doctor come to light.

MiX (5): mcmcsalot, Galzria, gkrieg13, Glooble, chairs
A Drowned Kernel (1): faust
chairs (1): Joseph2302
jotheonah (1): A Drowned Kernel
Joseph2302 (1): SpaceAnemone
arishipshape (1): jotheonah
gkrieg13 (1): MiX

Not voting (3): DatSwan, EFHW, arishipshape

With 14 alive, it takes 8 to lynch.
Day 1 ends Wednesday, 1st of May, at 5:30 ft.
Don't worry, no one can read uncle correctly.

Uncleeurope Eddie

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 26, 2019, 03:55:09 pm »

If we have a scum promoter, they want to set up a town v. town scenario. So they want to target a town player who they think will most likely target another town player. In other words, knowing everybody's reads is really, really helpful to them. We might want to keep a little more mum about who we think is town.
Hence why some of us aren't just giving them all away for free.....
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 26, 2019, 03:56:13 pm »

Although scum can't be sure of town vs town from it, because we could change our minds, and of course there's a traitor
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 26, 2019, 04:00:10 pm »

I want to get on this very full MiX wagon because I want day one to end because day one is the worst, but at the same time deep down in my heart of hearts I think MiX is town.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 26, 2019, 04:00:50 pm »

Maybe some of us are going a step further and flat out lying about our reads. YOU DON'T KNOW.

He/him

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 26, 2019, 04:08:58 pm »

Maybe some of us are going a step further and flat out lying about our reads. YOU DON'T KNOW.

Well, scum are...and you...hmm...you're scum right? I want to flip my vote again but it's quickly becoming useless the more I change it...

I want to get on this very full MiX wagon because I want day one to end because day one is the worst, but at the same time deep down in my heart of hearts I think MiX is town.

I am town. Useless, readless, anti-town town. But that doesn't mean I should die here...why do you hate day 1 anyway? Day 2 will be really weird with promoter, enjoy your freedom!

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 26, 2019, 04:18:01 pm »

The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #287 on: April 26, 2019, 04:19:26 pm »

L-2, FYI.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 26, 2019, 04:21:34 pm »

why do you hate day 1 anyway?

Day 1 is literally people talking for the sake of talking. It's important and necessary and it is possible to catch scum during it. But it's the worst. And then you have to keep re-reading it all game.

He/him

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 26, 2019, 04:27:57 pm »

why do you hate day 1 anyway?

Day 1 is literally people talking for the sake of talking. It's important and necessary and it is possible to catch scum during it. But it's the worst. And then you have to keep re-reading it all game.

Isn't that...every day ever? Relying on PRs is simply not possible due to setups being balanced, you can usually only narrow down to a 1v1. Talking D1 is the same as talking D4, except in D4 you have 3 other days of talking to base your reads. I would rather say lynching (or having reads in general) is way worse D1, which I suppose makes D1 worse? Eh.

Because...?

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #290 on: April 26, 2019, 04:30:39 pm »

Isn't that...every day ever? Relying on PRs is simply not possible due to setups being balanced, you can usually only narrow down to a 1v1. Talking D1 is the same as talking D4, except in D4 you have 3 other days of talking to base your reads. I would rather say lynching (or having reads in general) is way worse D1, which I suppose makes D1 worse? Eh.

It's not about the PRs, it's about the flips. Once someone dies, we know that person's alignment, and their interactions on day 1 give us additional info about everyone who's still alive.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 26, 2019, 04:36:59 pm »

It's not about the PRs, it's about the flips. Once someone dies, we know that person's alignment, and their interactions on day 1 give us additional info about everyone who's still alive.

This.

He/him

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 26, 2019, 04:37:13 pm »

Ooooooh good point, I forgot about NKs! Withdrawn then.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile

He/him

arishipshape

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: arishipshape
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 26, 2019, 05:03:44 pm »

MiX doesn't look particularly scummy to me. I have no reason to vote him, yet. I have no defense of him outright, except for his marked calmness with which he sits at L-3. I probably wont be joining this wagon. Feel free to give reasons to vote MiX, if anyone thinks it would be wise.
Words I like: Flourish, Mountebank, Masquerade, Cogitate, Touché, Aerial ace, Tricorn, Shenanigans

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 26, 2019, 05:16:30 pm »

MiX doesn't look particularly scummy to me. I have no reason to vote him, yet. I have no defense of him outright, except for his marked calmness with which he sits at L-3. I probably wont be joining this wagon. Feel free to give reasons to vote MiX, if anyone thinks it would be wise.

My calmness is...I'm trying to muster up energy to reread and have reads. Untill then I deserve this wagon.

So Swan also hasn't talked today...so sad. Everytime I post I want to vote...I just want to vote...somewhere...but not sure where.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 26, 2019, 05:17:16 pm »

I think ari is town. Too.... noisy? I guess is the word I want to use. Very few people can play the game the way ari is playing when they’re scum.

I think ari sounds very self conscious. vote: ari

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 26, 2019, 05:36:36 pm »

Vote: ari
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 26, 2019, 05:39:18 pm »

I mean I'm all for holding back a bit, but a Gladiator should think twice about how they came to get that honor before picking a target.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 68  All

Page created in 2.483 seconds with 20 queries.