Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 68  All

Author Topic: M122: Lalight's run out of ideas Mafia (Game Over! Town won!)  (Read 195416 times)

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
Re: M122: Lalight's run out of ideas Mafia (Day 1!)
« Reply #175 on: April 25, 2019, 07:31:20 pm »

I think it’s two separate powers. They’re a doctor, and also they have one other player they want to lynch.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 25, 2019, 07:33:13 pm »

Third: I don’t believe the initial vote on Chairs for his lack of posting comes from scum all that often, but I’m more inclined to see the first person to jump at that as a reasonable vote as scummy.

What's your thought on Joseph here?

I know this question wasn't directed at me, but I've been gone all day and need to start getting into things, and this seems a good starting point! :-)

I would say that Joseph would jump on a wagon just for entertainment value without actually thinking through consequences. Mix doesn't tend to feel that spontaneous.. he's more an over-thinker.

Do you think that MiX's vote is scummy?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 25, 2019, 08:39:11 pm »

can we get a vote count?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Swowl
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 25, 2019, 10:42:13 pm »

Can someone explain to me how Lyncer Doctor works? I don't follow the PM explanation for that one... is it saying that each night they may target one particular player, and only that one player?

Yeah I don't get the part about "you know they are VT".

Outside of that I think it means - Every night you get may target a player. If that player is lynched while you are still alive, you win. If that player dies in another fashion, then you also die.
Jesus how did i fuck that up
real good. That’s how
Town:  14 wins, 14 losses (1 MVP)
Skum: 7 wins, 7 losses (1 MVP)
3-Party: 4 wins, 1 loss

Uncleeurope

• Pawn
    • View Profile
Re: M122: Lalight's run out of ideas Mafia (pms are out. N0.)
« Reply #179 on: April 26, 2019, 12:10:38 am »

Vote Count 1.1

Uncleeurope wanted to explain how Lyncher Doctor worked in glorious detail, but didn't know if he was allowed to answer questions not specifically directed at him, because he was new to modding. He felt like a fairy not yet invited over a threshold. By even nudging this close to it by hinting in such an obtuse manner, he might be damaging the integrity of the site forever.

MiX (4): mcmcsalot, Galzria, gkrieg13, Glooble
A Drowned Kernel (2): faust, jotheonah
chairs (2): Joseph2302, MIX
jotheonah (1): A Drowned Kernel
Joseph2302 (1): SpaceAnemone

Not voting (4): DatSwan, chairs, EFHW, arishipshape

With 14 alive, it takes 8 to lynch.
Day 1 ends Wednesday, 1st of May, at 5:30 ft.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 09:54:15 am by LaLight »
Don't worry, no one can read uncle correctly.

Uncleeurope Eddie

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 26, 2019, 03:15:54 am »

Can someone explain to me how Lyncer Doctor works? I don't follow the PM explanation for that one... is it saying that each night they may target one particular player, and only that one player?

From what I understood, Lyncher has 1 target that is randomly picked from all VTs at the start of the game, and then they have a normal Doctor which is used to keep that VT safe from NKs.

Galzria, the point of forcing the claim is so, after no one claims, we can safely say promoter is scum. And judging by the resistance of this idea I'd say it's more likely that there's a scum!Promoter anyway. Town!Promoter being positive or negative utility doesn't matter, given it's scum's choice to kill him after he claims, which is bad regardless of utility

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 26, 2019, 05:59:39 am »

From what I understood, Lyncher has 1 target that is randomly picked from all VTs at the start of the game, and then they have a normal Doctor which is used to keep that VT safe from NKs.

Galzria, the point of forcing the claim is so, after no one claims, we can safely say promoter is scum. And judging by the resistance of this idea I'd say it's more likely that there's a scum!Promoter anyway. Town!Promoter being positive or negative utility doesn't matter, given it's scum's choice to kill him after he claims, which is bad regardless of utility
So this me and the Lyncher Doctor wants a random VT to die, and that's their win condition?
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 26, 2019, 06:01:27 am »

Request prod on chairs
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 26, 2019, 06:01:59 am »

If "me and" is means, yes, that's exactly what Lyncher wants.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 26, 2019, 07:52:38 am »

Uncleeurope, how does lyncher doctor work? Can you explain in glorious detail?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 26, 2019, 07:57:21 am »

Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 26, 2019, 07:57:56 am »

Please, specify the question. The sample QT is in the opening post.

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 26, 2019, 08:12:52 am »

Lyncher has a Target: He's given the name of 1 VT and he wins iff said person gets lynched. Seperately, he can select one person to be Doctored every night (he picks this every night so he can swap it between himself and his Target because that's almost always what he'll do). Any further questions?

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 26, 2019, 08:28:32 am »

Why are we so concerned about how the lyncher doctor works?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 26, 2019, 08:35:30 am »

Third: I don’t believe the initial vote on Chairs for his lack of posting comes from scum all that often, but I’m more inclined to see the first person to jump at that as a reasonable vote as scummy.

What's your thought on Joseph here?

I know this question wasn't directed at me, but I've been gone all day and need to start getting into things, and this seems a good starting point! :-)

I would say that Joseph would jump on a wagon just for entertainment value without actually thinking through consequences. Mix doesn't tend to feel that spontaneous.. he's more an over-thinker.

Do you think that MiX's vote is scummy?

Maybe very marginally. Like, he can have a scumpoint for it, but it didn't feel significant enough for me to bother moving my RVS vote yet.
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 26, 2019, 08:37:02 am »

Why are we so concerned about how the lyncher doctor works?

Because when I finally read the setup, it was the one thing that I didn't think was clearly explained, so I asked about it. Sorry I was kind of late to the party :-P
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 26, 2019, 08:48:33 am »

Please, specify the question. The sample QT is in the opening post.

Okay, here goes! The first part of the PM says:
Each night you may target one player (possibly yourself) to protect them from one kill attempt.
That sounds like a doctor to me, so I'm happy so far.

Then we get to:
Your target is {Player}, you know they are a VT.
Does this refer to a totally different "target" than they've just been told they can pick nightly? Usually when a PM says "you may pick a target", then goes on to talk about "your target", those two are the same person. However, in this case I think they must not be. If I'm correct, then why not rename this second use of "target" to be something like "Desired Lynchee"?

Using this suggested terminology, the Lyncher Doctor has a particular Desired Lynchee, picked out by the mods from the pool of VTs during the setup phase of the game. If that lynchee dies through any method other than being lynched, the Lyncher Doctor dies too, and cannot win. Lyncher Doctor is allowed to use the doctor action each night to target someone. That target could be their Desired Lynchee, or could be themself, but could also in theory be any other player.

Does the above summarise the role of Lyncher Doctor successfully?

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 26, 2019, 09:18:13 am »

I'm not that concerned, but I was moved by Eddie's vote count flavor and wanted to throw him a bone.

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: M122: Lalight's run out of ideas Mafia (pms are out. N0.)
« Reply #193 on: April 26, 2019, 09:18:49 am »

Vote Count 1.1

Glooble is voting twice here.

He/him

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 26, 2019, 09:39:39 am »

So I didn’t check the thread because I play on my phone whenever I get a new post notification....

I didn’t have notify enabled for this thread.

Oops!

Anyway screw the town promoter claiming. Also someone mentioned faith in vigilantes and I apologize for generating that faith on this board ;)

vote: a drowned kernel the promoter claim discussion ended up getting us nowhere and feels distracting.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 26, 2019, 09:52:49 am »

Using this suggested terminology, the Lyncher Doctor has a particular Desired Lynchee, picked out by the mods from the pool of VTs during the setup phase of the game. If that lynchee dies through any method other than being lynched, the Lyncher Doctor dies too, and cannot win. Lyncher Doctor is allowed to use the doctor action each night to target someone. That target could be their Desired Lynchee, or could be themself, but could also in theory be any other player.

Does the above summarise the role of Lyncher Doctor successfully?

This is the most correct explanation of how Lyncher Doctor works that I have seen in my whole life.

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 26, 2019, 09:53:59 am »

I have a lot of predictions but no reads...

Unvote. I'll have to try harder, haven't put much effort into this yet.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 26, 2019, 09:59:16 am »

If that lynchee dies through any method other than being lynched, the Lyncher Doctor dies too, and cannot win.

Note how Lyncher dies if his target is lynched. This means non-LyLo situations can turn into MyLo unexpectedly even if the VT isn't NKd.

arishipshape

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: arishipshape
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 26, 2019, 10:01:49 am »

First off: Super sorry I didn't get around to this yesterday night like I said I would. My computer kept restarting in the middle of me constructing my posts, and I got tired, so I went to bed. I'm here now. But I'm kinda miffed at the lack of suspicion on me. If I were scum I imagine I could just keep shutting up, occasionally doing short posts to keep the "lynch all lurkers" crowd at bay. Lucky for you guys I'm not scum. Time for me to join the fray!
My thoughts on promoter versus Vig: Vig is an extra kill. Promoter is limiting the kill we are already entitled to. Vig>Promoter. I'm torn on whether the promoter should claim though. I feel like it's negative utility, so scum wouldn't want to kill, so scum will be able to kill our other power roles, but if the promoter plays smart they can influence the game for the better (assuming we got the town promoter). I think it's safer to just not claim. That way maf can accidentally kill promoter instead of another pr.
Also, Jothenoah and Faust: I'm really REALLY not a fan of unexplained votes. Explanation provides more information to the town, which is always good. Barring being a PR or something. I'd recommend one of them for the day 2 lynch if promoter doesn't throw a wrench in that and they don't claim some PR.
My thoughts on voting: Why are we voting MiX? Sure, he's not the towniest town to ever town, but I don't see to much scumminess. Anyone wanna explain?
In conclusion to this opening paragraph, everybody ask me hard questions! I want to answer them and prove I'm town!
As far as players go I wish I knew arishape better because I feel like if I did I would know their alignment already. They seem to be playing relatively straightforward and not a lot of pre-thought to their posts.
I have one game to my name.
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=19407.0
In this game, I was scum. Feel free to read it over. Anyways, you are absolutely correct in my straightforwardness. I try not to mask, deceive, or be unclear in any way, shape, or form, so as to leave no room for any misinterpretation, which is a scum's friend.
To be frank, you did the same things in the game you quoted.
Correct. And I was obviously scum. Ergo, my strategy revealed the scum. Therefore, it is pro town. I'll probably have to come up with a better strategy for when I'm scum... But hey, i don't need to worry about that this game!
vote: MiX
Is voting without explaining just what all the cool kids are doing now?
I think MiX is scum pushing for traitor to claim. Mild suspicion
...Why do you think this?
Words I like: Flourish, Mountebank, Masquerade, Cogitate, Touché, Aerial ace, Tricorn, Shenanigans
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 68  All

Page created in 2.243 seconds with 20 queries.