Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 68  All

Author Topic: M122: Lalight's run out of ideas Mafia (Game Over! Town won!)  (Read 195496 times)

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
Re: M122: Lalight's run out of ideas Mafia (Day 5!)
« Reply #1575 on: May 27, 2019, 07:29:36 am »

Hey I just realized you just recieved a scum!me game, that should help you figure out how I operate as scum. Spoilers: I very awkwardly bus and back off at any sign of trouble. At least that's what it felt like.

I read Space's VCA because I'm bored and there's nothing for me to do in this game, but this is interesting:

Joseph2302 (1): SpaceAnemone
MiX (5): Glooble, Chairs, jotheonah, gkrieg13, faust
Galzria (1): EFHW
A Drowned Kernel (5): DatSwan, Joseph2302, MiX, Galzria, mcmcsalot
EFHW (1): arishipshape
Not Voting (1): A Drowned Kernel

After mcmc puts ADK at 5 votes, three people move their votes:

Swan votes for Joseph, although it has a PPE that covers mcmc's vote;
ADK votes for Galz;
chairs votes for joth.

Isn't it interesting how they all moved their vote after ADK was in danger? I don't know, it looks pretty convenient.

Does anyone have questions? Because I don't feel like making a case for ADK, it kinda writes itself (weird interaction, running away when their lynches are viable) whereas my case's much worse (I would've had to bus incredibly hard D2 and D4, especially D2, where it was unecessary, whereas ADK moved his vote from Swan).

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: May 27, 2019, 04:50:17 pm »

I've gone over the vote counts in some detail now. ADK and MiX have very different styles.

-- ADK votes infrequently, only starts one wagon. Is there a scum narrative for their not wanting to lynch Galzria? Day 2 they start that wagon but get off when it reaches 4 votes. The other people on that wagon were joth, MiX and Glooble. They then vote DatSwan as 3rd on wagon but get off when it reaches 5.

-- MiX votes and unvotes frequently, often starting wagons and then unvoting. Day 3 he does this with Glooble, me and Space in the space of 40 posts. Then he does an odd thing of voting Glooble alternating with voting chairs with Glooble. 4th iteration, he ends up on the Glooble mislynch. He unambivalently contributed to the lynches of both chairs and DatSwan.

My conclusion is that ADK is more likely to be scum.

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: May 27, 2019, 04:57:09 pm »

Space in the space

Sure you noticed this right? Anyway, that whole post's pretty much my case, beautiful isn't it?

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: May 27, 2019, 04:57:37 pm »

Vote: ADK

L-1

PPE: Yes, I did notice it.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: May 27, 2019, 11:11:47 pm »

Vote: ADK

L-1

PPE: Yes, I did notice it.

That's really unfortunate.

I haven't been paying much attention to this game, honestly, because I thought that things were going well for us and there wasn't much to do. But if you would allow me to make my case against mix, I can dig in and do a reread and see if I can convince you.

When is deadline?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: May 28, 2019, 12:32:51 am »

Ok, unvote for now. I'm interested to see what you have to say.

Uncleeurope

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: May 28, 2019, 01:03:40 am »

When is deadline?

"Ehhhh, June 1 10:30 PM EST?

...I think?"

For someone who loved clarity, Uncleeurope wasn't too good at it.
Don't worry, no one can read uncle correctly.

Uncleeurope Eddie

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: May 28, 2019, 01:45:29 am »

Awww, ADK's trying! Do I also need to reread and make a case against him? Gkrieg already isolated so many of his scummy posts, not sure if I can add anything meaningfull to them.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: May 28, 2019, 12:58:02 pm »

When is deadline?

...I think?"

Erm.. just for clarity, is "EST" the same as Forum Time? Like is it around 12.57 EST when I post this, or should I be accounting for summertime somehow? Thanks!
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: May 28, 2019, 02:20:40 pm »

We're in daylight time. Forum is UTC-4. You posted at 12:58.

Uncleeurope

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: May 28, 2019, 03:46:53 pm »

When is deadline?

...I think?"

Erm.. just for clarity, is "EST" the same as Forum Time? Like is it around 12.57 EST when I post this, or should I be accounting for summertime somehow? Thanks!

I think you have it right, this is why I dislike dealing with this. I assumed everyone's "forum time" automatically set to their current time zone. Is everyone's forum really set to EST?

Uncleeurope Eddie

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: May 28, 2019, 04:52:13 pm »

I can see that I posted at 12.58 forum time.. the key info I'm missing is whether or not that is also EST :-)

Does the definition of EST move with summer hours, or is it like UTC, where many of us move by an hour relative to it when summer time kicks in for our respective countries/timezones?
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: May 28, 2019, 04:53:07 pm »

When is deadline?

...I think?"

I think you have it right, this is why I dislike dealing with this. I assumed everyone's "forum time" automatically set to their current time zone. Is everyone's forum really set to EST?
I don't know. I happen to live in the same zone as FT. It's EDT, though, not EST.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: May 28, 2019, 04:54:33 pm »

I can see that I posted at 12.58 forum time.. the key info I'm missing is whether or not that is also EST :-)

Does the definition of EST move with summer hours, or is it like UTC, where many of us move by an hour relative to it when summer time kicks in for our respective countries/timezones?
EDT is UTC-4, EST is UTC-5. FT reflects EDT.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: May 28, 2019, 05:06:34 pm »

When is deadline?

...I think?"

If you're telling me that EST is just exactly the same as Forum Time, then yes, by default everyone's timezone comes set that way. However, I think Haddock told me specifically not to tell it my local time when I first joined f.ds, since I joined specifically to play Mafia, and knowing forum time is useful :-)

I guess many of us outside the US just don't have reason to know what the US timezones are, or how they work in terms of what changes when and what they're called in its summer and winter incarnations... whereas Forum Time is something I can read, and the forum itself takes care of the rest, which is why I find it far and away the easiest method of specifying game times. Though it's also really useful to get a warning from the locals when forum time is about to go forward or back an hour, because I've observed that it generally doesn't move on the same dates as UK time :-P

PPE 2: I'm marginally more confused now! I think everyone's default is EDT, which is the one currently at UTC-4, because I'm currently in BST, which is UTC+1, and I know I'm currently 5 hours ahead of FT. I think the key question I was trying to get at earlier was whether EDT (or EST?) is always at the offsets from UTC that EFHW specified, or whether one or other (or both?) of them moves relative to UTC round the year... I assume it's one of those things that's just common knowledge in the US and which I could read up on somewhere, but which I'd far rather avoid having to do by using FT :-P

Uncleeurope

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: May 28, 2019, 11:17:34 pm »

I am fairly certain forum time lines up with my clock, hence why I thought the forum auto-set to the time line of the user.

I will know for certain in 2 seconds.

Uncleeurope Eddie

Uncleeurope

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: May 28, 2019, 11:18:34 pm »

The forum time does indeed match my clock, and I am EST.

Uncleeurope Eddie

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: May 29, 2019, 01:14:12 am »

Here's my case on MiX:

Day One MiX stuff:

Mix is one of the more active players day one. A lot of his posts are on one of two topics: the setup and the possibility of him getting lynched. When there's pressure on him, there's an emotional tone to a lot of his post, and he outright says alongside a number of his votes that he's moving there for survival. He also moves his vote around quite a lot.

Mix, from my experience, is someone who puts a lot of emotion into his posts, and more to the point, knows that people generally read it as towny; I think that in these posts he's consciously playing up the pressure that he's feeling in order to get it off of him. He also seems to be particular where he redirects it: most of his votes are for gkrieg, joth, and me.

Here's some specifics I found:

Very early vote for Datswan. Notable in that this is still close to RVS, he doesn't really push over the next few posts, then drops it a little later to switch to me, then switches to a town read on swan. In between these posts swan did nothing but talk about the setup.

An early vote for chairs, at a point where people are voting to put pressure on someone who hasn't posted. He does it immediately after glooble does it, and the reasoning is something that's very easy to walk back.

I point out these two votes because they're the majority of Mix's early interaction with the two; early votes with easily retractable reasons, that don't really lead into a direct interaction with the players in question.

A big ol' reads list, with datswan and chairs in the same category and next to no commentary. He doesn't even say if he wants to lynch them, just asserting that there's no interest.

Mix makes some brief mentions of swan late in the day, in this post he mentions datswan and EFHW as potential lynch candidates by virtue of not having been talked about. And then a bit later, he votes for EFHW, with no further mention of swan.

The last notable D1 moment I want to highlight is mix's VT claim. Whether a VT claim or a PR claim is scummier is a lot of WIFOM, but there's a point that I didn't consider at the time that I think explains why scum might lean toward claiming VT: at this point in the game, scum doesn't know the setup; they don't know whether we're in the upper left or lower right quadrant. This means that part of the value of claiming a PR- that is, outing a powerful town PR- is more of a gamble than usual, because if you claim from the wrong quadrant, you could easily be outed without any town PRs claiming at all. For example, if mix had claimed cop, after joseph flipped, we would have caught him without having to out anyone at all. I don't know if that thought factored into mix's decision, but it was a thought that I had when I was rereading the wagon on him and his claim.

Day One chairs and Datswan stuff:

So the most notable Datswan stuff from day one: when mix and I are the leading wagons, he spends a lot of time defending mix. Like, a lot. He makes it very clear that if it comes down to me or mix, he wants to lynch me.

chairs is a terse, lurky player. He
votes for me, then switches to mix, switches
back to me, then back to mix, and finally backs off mix as soon as mix claims. His last post of the day is to vote for joth.

Day Two MiX stuff:

Similarly to his efforts D1 on not getting lynched, a lot of his effort on D2 is to avoid being challenged. He also busses Swan considerably, especially as the day goes on. I think it's pretty likely that during N1, he and swan looked back on D1, saw how much swan was defending him, and decided they needed to try and disassociate themselves from each other.

His first post of the day offhandedly mentions swan as possible scum, without much elaboration. He brings it up again, then votes, but is also careful to keep his options open.

He votes for datswan right after joth challenges, but still makes sure that he has an out, at least until the datswan lynch starts looking inevitable.

This post is noteworthy, in that it's the first post where mix asserts that he's an IC, and is also around when mix starts doubling down on the bus. This ties into a couple of threads that, looking over the game as a whole, I think are related: 1) mix's focus on asserting his townieness, and 2) the fact that this was a very bussy game for scum. But more on that later.

Day 2 chairs and Datswan stuff:

Datswan doesn't have a lot of content pre-challenge, again a lot of setup stuff, and post-challenge is mostly him trying not to get lynched. Worth noting, in his most substantial post of the day, he continues to back mix.

chairs is terse and lurky again. Starts with saying he'll vote for joth over mix, then switches, then immediately puts his suspicion back on joth, then is back to finding mix towny.

Also worth noting: chairs has no qualms bussing swan. Again, the high level of bussing this game is something I'll talk about more later.

Day 3 MiX stuff:

Mix pushes glooble a ton, though also swings his votes elsewhere now and then. At this point, I think my theory is that his derphammer was a genuine accident, albeit one that ultimately benefiting his team.

First post of the day, again asserting that he's an IC, and bringing up the possibility of the lynchee. He brings this up a couple of times later, and here's why I think it's important: it's becoming clear as D3 goes on that scum is in danger of getting killed by PoE. MiX knows that I'm town, and also suspects I might be the lynchee. If he argues too strongly against that, people will see that he's scum trying to keep the lynch pool wider. So he tries to sound out whether other people also suspect that, while trying to push his own towniness.

This is were the whole bussing issue comes in: I think that at this point in the game, scum needs to rely on getting as much towncred on one player as they can, and hoping that player can outlast the rest of the dwindling lynchpool. This is why mix is so willing to bus his partner, and explains chairs behavior D4 (will get to that later).

Some specific mix posts: He starts with a vote for glooble, switches to chairs based on a case from glooble (someone he's claiming to scumread), then jumps off because an IC told him to.

Later, he asks why people aren't considering chairs, but doesn't vote. Then he narrows the pool to chairs and gkrieg, while voting gkrieg.
The pattern I see, which goes back to D1, is lots of mentioning of his partners in a “I could vote this way” fashion, without actually committing, or making sure that there's someone else in the set of people he's talking about.

Finally actually votes for chairs, then switches to Glooble for the derphammer. Again, I actually think this is a genuine accident; mix is just swinging his vote around enough because for the long term plan, he needs any lynch that isn't him.

Day 3 chairs stuff:

chairs makes all of two posts on D3, one where he claims VT and one where he defends mix and votes for glooble. What's interesting about this is that at the start of the next day, he's somehow switched to a scumread on mix.

Day 4, Mix and chairs:

So here's the big question: why does mix challenge his partner here, and not gkrieg? And I've been thinking about this, and I think that the answer isn't that mix is afraid that he won't win vs. gkrieg, he's afraid of what happens if he does win against gkrieg. If mix challenges gkrieg, gkrieg flips town, and then the next day the lynch pool is mix, chairs, and me, and maybe, maybe galz, and in that scenario, after challenging gkrieg, no way does he not get lynched; after that it would be down to me and chairs, and I don't think chairs would have won that. So when mix lays out this plan, what he's describing isn't “suicidal”, it's literally scum's only viable path to victory at this point. The biggest hurdle is that mix has to get to this point and get me lynched, which is basically where we are right now.

When you look at chairs's posts on D4, he basically offers up no resistance or makes any attempt to get mix lynched over himself. He either realized all of the above or it had been discussed in detail the night before.

Day 5:

Not much to see here, basically just mix pushing the gkrieg wagon, while making sure he sets up the switch over to me tomorrow.

So I've spent the last few hours going over this game, hopefully I've got enough stuff here to convince you two, because I'm pretty sure this is the last great effort I'm willing to put into this game. Scummy mix posts, a scum narrative for his play, mix is scum, please vote mix. Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: May 29, 2019, 04:04:49 am »

ADK's the best scum ever, I don't think anyone else would put as much effort on this day. Huge wall, so it'll take forever for me to argue against specific points, and honestly, unlike ADK, I don't have a grand narrative of "scum bussed super hard and is trying to get towncred for just 1 scum (although it happened for ADK because of the whole Lynchee thing, I doubt it was planned) so they can win at LyLo", just how I pretty much never backed off from Swan and was vital for his lynch.

I'll try to defend the case, but don't expect me to analyze everything ADK did.

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: May 29, 2019, 06:41:12 am »

Quoting is almost impossible in mobile since the post is huge, so enjoys these "quotes":

"Mix, from my experience, is someone who puts a lot of emotion into his posts, and more to the point, knows that people generally read it as towny; I think that in these posts he's consciously playing up the pressure that he's feeling in order to get it off of him."

This is a pretty accurate description of my play this game. After I was the main wagon and I was about to get lynched I knew the game would rest on my pervieced townieness, which is why I did a LOT to prove that. Never once did I stop scumhunting, however.

"Very early vote for Datswan. Notable in that this is still close to RVS, he doesn't really push over the next few posts, then drops it a little later to switch to me, then switches to a town read on swan. In between these posts swan did nothing but talk about the setup."

Swan is scum because he's pretending to not read the setup is a really hard case to push. I ended up scumreading him less because he started reading it, which at the time felt towny. That and Swan had done this every game so I could've been wrong.

"An early vote for chairs, at a point where people are voting to put pressure on someone who hasn't posted. He does it immediately after glooble does it, and the reasoning is something that's very easy to walk back."

This means nothing and is irrelevent for this case. I would do that regardless of anything.

"Mix makes some brief mentions of swan late in the day, in this post he mentions datswan and EFHW as potential lynch candidates by virtue of not having been talked about. And then a bit later, he votes for EFHW, with no further mention of swan."

EFHW had the bigger wagon (1 vote instead of 0), also I was townreading who was on it (ari). Getting a lynch that late was going to be hard and I wasn't in a position to start wagons.

"So the most notable Datswan stuff from day one: when mix and I are the leading wagons, he spends a lot of time defending mix. Like, a lot. He makes it very clear that if it comes down to me or mix, he wants to lynch me."

Yet he goes for Joseph to avoid lynching you. Which backfired after Joseph flipped Lyncher, but he was one of the biggest pushers for him. I have to admit, it was a good bus by Swan, very little risk.

"His first post of the day offhandedly mentions swan as possible scum, without much elaboration. He brings it up again, then votes, but is also careful to keep his options open."

So I...scumread Swan, then again, then I vote, and then I have the audacity to reread??? How dare I! Obviously REAL town make a really awkward wall post townreading Swan and scumreading joth followed with a Swan unvote, like you did (don't forget chairs voted Swan after that, not related, not trying to get 1 scum on the wagon, nah, couldn't be). Clearly we can all agree that your backing off's scummier?

"Some specific mix posts: He starts with a vote for glooble, switches to chairs based on a case from glooble (someone he's claiming to scumread), then jumps off because an IC told him to."

This is quite an interesting point: why on earth can I not vote where my scumreads are voting? At any given moment I have 2 states: one where I think Glooble's scum, and one where I think chairs' scum. I fail to see why in the second one I should account for my scumread on Glooble, for if I were to scumread them I would just vote them. Glooble's case on chairs was so good that I believed that at least one of them had to be scum, so if I'm not voting Glooble, why not chairs?

"Later, he asks why people aren't considering chairs, but doesn't vote. Then he narrows the pool to chairs and gkrieg, while voting gkrieg.
The pattern I see, which goes back to D1, is lots of mentioning of his partners in a “I could vote this way” fashion, without actually committing, or making sure that there's someone else in the set of people he's talking about."

The question here is simply: why wouldn't I bus chairs? Much safer, better towncred and I know Glooble's dropping anyway so did it matter? Not really. There was no way chairs would live anyway.

"So when mix lays out this plan, what he's describing isn't “suicidal”, it's literally scum's only viable path to victory at this point. The biggest hurdle is that mix has to get to this point and get me lynched, which is basically where we are right now"

This is correct, actually. But PLANNING this all the way from D2, that's suicide. Swan getting lynched severely decreased scum's chance of winning, from good to mislynching me and gkrieg (and Glooble, but that was easier).

"Scummy mix posts, a scum narrative for his play, mix is scum, please vote mix. Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk."

Better narrative: Swan died too soon so you were in the rocks, however, you were percieved as Lynchee: this allowed you to carry all the way to LyLo (while scumreading me all the way) to then win against gkrieg/me.

There's my wall post. I might bring up ADK's "MiX is scum" posts, if there's a lot (let's face it, I didn't notice ADK top much, was townreading them) and hmm yeah that's my defence. Any questions?

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: May 29, 2019, 07:11:29 am »

Everyone should read #951:

And tell me how this isn't a huge stretch to scumread joth as much as possible while townreading Swan as much as possible.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
Re: M122: Lalight's run out of ideas Mafia (Day 2!)
« Reply #1596 on: May 29, 2019, 08:30:31 am »

1) All the skum is within [Ari, Swan, Chairs, ADK, GK, Glooble, Space, EFHW]... which is either 2/8 or 3/8
2) Some amount of skum is within the same pool, and another is within [Joth, Mix, Galz, faust]

Why is it either 2/8 or 3/8?

The overall post is a really big stretch to scumread ICs. Yeah, I want Swan to claim here.

Vote: Swan
This post was just before joth challenged DatSwan. Scumreading DatSwan so strongly (his post just before was a "100%" sure scumread) knowing joth is looking for someone to challenge just seems illogical for scum!MiX here.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: May 29, 2019, 08:33:40 am »

Question for everyone: What is the scum motivation for ADK to suggest a promoter claim right at the beginning of the game?

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: May 29, 2019, 08:39:32 am »

Question for everyone: What is the scum motivation for ADK to suggest a promoter claim right at the beginning of the game?

Funzies? Got me to (probably) act scummy while I supported it, while he could flip flop on his stance regarding claiming. It's also anti-town since he knows there's a town Promoter, the discussion was only good if promoter was scum. Also I think he was made a potential lynch candidate (Swan and chairs bussed him, and of course his promoter talk got him scumread by town) so he could get targetted by the cop, given he's Godfather. But that's more of a stretch.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: May 29, 2019, 05:58:29 pm »

Space?
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 68  All

Page created in 2.537 seconds with 19 queries.