Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Playing vs Possession  (Read 2059 times)

Consumptus

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Playing vs Possession
« on: March 10, 2012, 01:07:16 am »

I'm currently level 22 on Isotropic. I recently got into a game where my opponent just bought multiple Possessions and used my hands to buy provinces. I had built a money strat with Wharf. I ended up losing 3 to 5 Provinces.

Did I just get unlucky with my hands, or is this strategy better?

I don't think there's been an article, but could someone explain tips or strategies to play vs Possession?

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
Re: Playing vs Possession
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 02:08:41 am »

In fact, there IS an article about how to play/beat Possession. It can be found here: http://dominionstrategy.com/2010/12/03/alchemy-possession/

But basically, Possession is usually not a winning strategy; it's just too cost prohibitive. Every time you buy Possession, you missed an opportunity to buy a Province. Dominion is often a fast game, and there isn't necessarily time to go for this expensive Potion card if you are only going to be able to use it effectively once or twice.

In general, a good way to beat an opponent going for Possession is to junk your deck. Start loading up on Duchies and Estates earlier than normal, and by the time your opponent gets around to Possessing you, they want have much to gain. And remember, you gain the VP chips, so cards like Monument and Bishop he can't even really play when they are in your hand. Same goes for other attacks: your opponent can't really play your Torturer or Mountebank, so that end sup being a dead card for him (but not for you).

By the same token, watch out for atypical situations that make Possession better. An engine that can consistently play multiple Possessions (possibly with Hunting Parties or Golems or Kings Courts) can make it a lot more worthwhile.

I can't see the game you played, so it's hard to know if your opponent got lucky or what. I would think a Wharf/Money strategy would be too quick for Possession in a Province game. Perhaps you should have loaded up on Duchies earlier. Wharf often gives you $10 with two buys, which would work perfectly here.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 02:47:34 am »

Just to add to that a bit, my rule of thumb is to only even consider Possession if I can play multiples per turn (unless a Colony game, maybe). You can almost always ignore Possession in other circumstances and be fine (and usually be at an advantage if your opponent goes for it). It's still sometimes a bad choice even if you can play multiples, but at least it's viable then.

Based off my experience trying it in a HP engine, it didn't seem that great because HP is so fast to begin with that by the time you're playing multiple Possessions, there might not be enough VP left for you to win. But it wasn't awful so I'd probably try it again because I like the card.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 02:56:46 am by blueblimp »

Consumptus

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 11:47:03 am »

Oh shoot, I must have missed that article, as I was just searching the forums.

Thanks for all the tips.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 12:25:49 pm by Consumptus »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4388
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page

Consumptus

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 12:26:36 pm »

haha, guess where my foot is  :-[
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 22 queries.