Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Dominion Cards Lists 2018 Edition: Boons  (Read 9557 times)

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
The Dominion Cards Lists 2018 Edition: Boons
« on: February 26, 2019, 03:40:58 am »
+7

Boons
Ranking Boons is a tricky endeavor, because the When and the How matter. Do you rank them based on how likely you are to get a Druid/pop a Pixie if it has that Boon? Do you evaluate them when received from Tracker or Bard? Idol? Opponent’s Sacred Grove? How likely are you to track any particular Boon or ask about it in spec chat? I don’t think there is a “correct answer” here, but I tend to favor the Pixie/Druid approach.

The list this year grossly follows the list from last year. If we break the list into four quartiles, the cards in each quartile are unchanged; however, the order within those quartiles has changed, and we are seeing a clearer separation into tiers of Boons.

In addition, I will be referencing the stats markus has compiled from games of high-level players online (available here). Using over 8700 games where each Boon is present, markus estimates the effect of receiving one more of that Boon than your opponent. Those results largely agree with what the voters said, with a couple notable exceptions.

#1 ▲1 The Swamp's Gift Weighted Average: 85.6% ▲1.7pp / Unweighted Average: 85.5% / Median: 90.9% ▲9.1pp / Standard Deviation: 14.4%

The top three Boons are very close in the rankings, but for me (and the voters) this is the Boon that moves the needle the most. Popping a first-shuffle Pixie for two Wisps can provide a huge head start and I always take notice if Druid has Swamp’s Gift. Non-terminal draw is quite good, you know. Seeing it move to the top of the list, despite fewer first-place votes than the third-ranked Boon, makes me happy. Interestingly, the stats aren’t as favorable to these little flying Spirits: Swamp’s Gift ranks 6th in impact per extra Wisp gained. Maybe the low marginal benefit of the 3rd and 4th Wisp is dragging down the average gain advantage metric?

#2 ▲1 The Earth's Gift Weighted Average: 84.4% ▲10.5pp / Unweighted Average: 81.8% / Median: 81.8% =0.0pp / Standard Deviation: 12.0%

I was surprised to see this jump to rank 2, but hey, gains are good! Finding this with an early Blessed Village can provide a nice complementary engine piece. With a Pixie, this can add two components or something useful and a replacement Pixie. This Boon occasionally answers late-game prayers, providing a desperate player with a timely point or two. It certainly passes the “Boons you might track” test. It ranks just above Swamp’s gift in the stats.

#3 ▼2 The Flame's Gift Weighted Average: 82.7% ▼12.0pp / Unweighted Average: 86.1% / Median: 90.9% =0.0pp / Standard Deviation: 17.5%

Last year’s top Boon tumbles to number three, despite receiving more first place votes (6) than Swamp (4) or Earth (2). Trashing is good, yes, but weak and/or unpredictable trashing much less so. Getting Flame’s gift with a Pixie or Blessed Village early is great, of course. Flame on a Druid merely turns it into a mid-grade Trade Route. Nevertheless, trashing is trashing, and you’ll almost always be happy to see this Boon. Somewhat astonishingly, the stats have this ranked an 8th. Perhaps what this is really telling us is that excessive receipts of this Boon might be misguided or a sign of desperation.

#4 ▲1 The Forest's Gift Weighted Average: 70.8% ▲8.3pp / Unweighted Average: 70.9% / Median: 72.7% ▲9.1pp / Standard Deviation: 21.3%

Despite a weighted average over 14 percentage points behind Earth’s Gift, it has a lot in common with the second-ranked Boon: it can provide a late-game points swing and deserves to be tracked on a single-gain board. It suffers in that comparison from not always being as relevant early. Another intriguing difference from Earth’s Gift: this Boon received twice as many first-place votes. Maybe those voters are on to something: this is the top-ranked Boon in the stats.

#5 ▼1 The River's Gift Weighted Average: 66.8% ▼1.5pp / Unweighted Average: 64.8% / Median: 63.6% ▼9.1pp / Standard Deviation: 15.5%

River’s Gift is only a few percentage points behind Forest’s Gift but over 17 ahead of the next Boon. In fact, it’s the last Boon with a weighted score above 50%. It provides a little bit of Duration-like draw. Weird edge-cases aside, you’re never sad to see this one. The stats have this 4th, on par with Earth’s gift.

#6 =0 The Field's Gift Weighted Average: 49.7% ▼8.2pp / Unweighted Average: 50.9% / Median: 54.5% =0.0pp / Standard Deviation: 23.9%

Field’s Gift retains its spot in the ranking, but the gap between it and the fifth-ranked boon has widened from about 4.5 percentage points last year to 17 (as noted above). It can be a village if received at the right time and therefore might merit tracking in a desperate situation. It turns Druid into a Candlestick Maker variant. The stats sandwich this boon between Flame’s Gift and Swamp’s Gift.

#7 =0 The Sun's Gift Weighted Average: 45.6% ▲1.6pp / Unweighted Average: 43.0% / Median: 45.5% =0.0pp / Standard Deviation: 15.7%

At this point in the list I think it’s fair to ask how many people reading this could tell me, without looking, what Sun’s Gift does. And what does that tell us about this particular boon? It's unremarkable, occasionally useful and largely inoffensive. The stats seem to agree: it ranks 10th on that list.

#8 =0 The Sea's Gift Weighted Average: 43.2% ▲9.7pp / Unweighted Average: 43.0% / Median: 45.5% ▲9.1pp / Standard Deviation: 12.2%

The other drawing Boon, Sea’s Gift often feels inferior to its freshwater cousin. It can be awkward to receive it as part of a terminal action (e.g. with Druid, Tracker, Bard, own Sacred Grove) or with Idol because you might trigger a bad shuffle or draw something dead. Nevertheless, the stats rate it higher than River’s Gift.

#9 =0 The Wind's Gift Weighted Average: 30.0% ▼2.9pp / Unweighted Average: 32.1% / Median: 27.3% ▼9.1pp / Standard Deviation: 17.8%

In certain decks, if received at the right time, Wind’s Gift provides some useful sifting. When received at the wrong time, it can feel like a Hex: it might trigger a shuffle or even reduce hand size. I see you nodding. We’ve all been there.

Now here’s shocker: the stats suggest this is the second strongest Boon on a per-receipt basis. Look, I’m just as skeptical as you are, but three of the top four Boons in the stats provide card draw, so maybe it’s not as crazy as it might seem. Its highest vote? One person voted it fifth.

#10 ▲1 The Mountain's Gift Weighted Average: 20.7% ▲7.9pp / Unweighted Average: 17.0% / Median: 9.1% =0.0pp / Standard Deviation: 15.2%

Mountain’s Gift has recovered a little from the backlash it got last year, where it finished dead last. This year it received three last-place votes, the second-most. I wonder where it would rank if the Silver gain was optional (I suspect a little higher); similarly, I wonder how different the gain rates would be (I suspect not that different). I guess people just don’t like having gross yellow cards foisted on them without their consent. The stats are slightly more favorable to Mountain’s Gift than the voters, ranking it 9th, just behind Flame’s Gift.

#11 ▼1 The Sky's Gift Weighted Average: 17.5% ▼6.6pp / Unweighted Average: 20.6% / Median: 18.2% =0.0pp / Standard Deviation: 14.3%

It’s rare for the trade offered by this Boon to be a good value. If it’s early, you may not want to add a stop card over adding a more effective piece; later in the game, the value of three cards in your hand will hopefully exceed that of adding a Gold. Nevertheless, if the stars align, this boon can be good. And hey, I finally have a mnemonic device to remember what this one does.

#12 =0 The Moon's Gift Weighted Average: 2.9% ▼13.4pp / Unweighted Average: 4.2% / Median: 0.0% ▼9.1pp / Standard Deviation: 7.3%

In another setting, if I called something “The Harbinger of Boons”, you might think that good things were about to happen. In this setting, we all know better.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: The Dominion Cards Lists 2018 Edition: Boons
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 04:49:02 am »
+1

TIL Will-o'Wisp is better than Lab.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 05:23:23 am »
+5

The problem with ranking Boons is how card-dependent they are. Sky's Gift is way better on Bard or Idol (which you play at the end of your turn, but before your Treasures) than on Blessed Village (when you buy Blessed Village, you probably don't have enough cards left to discard, and you don't want it at the start of your turn). Forest and Field are clearly the best on Sacred Grove. Gainers are extra good with Tracker. And Druid favors those you want to get regularly (Flame/Swamp).
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 09:30:53 am »

It only increases handsize if the second card is cheap. Why is it better?
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Lurker

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lurker
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 09:35:06 am »
+3

I suspect Awaclus means: "Trashing a card is like gaining a lab" so The Flame's Gift is like gaining a lab, whereas The Swamp's Gift is gaining a Wisp. To have Swamp higher than Flame is like saying Wisp is better than Lab.

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 09:55:55 am »
+11

I suspect Awaclus means: "Trashing a card is like gaining a lab" so The Flame's Gift is like gaining a lab, whereas The Swamp's Gift is gaining a Wisp. To have Swamp higher than Flame is like saying Wisp is better than Lab.

This might be an excellent opportunity for Awaclus and others to reflect on all the ways in which trashing a card is not equivalent to gaining a Laboratory.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 10:25:10 am »
+5

This might be an excellent opportunity for Awaclus and others to reflect on all the ways in which trashing a card is not equivalent to gaining a Laboratory.

There's more than that. Even if trashing a card is 100% like gaining a lab, The Flame's Gift can miss if you don't have a card to trash when you get it.

But indeed there are other differences. Trashing an Estate is like gaining a lab but also losing a token. Trashing a Copper is like gaining a lab but also taking your - token. So both are slightly worse than gaining a lab.

On the other hand, trashing a Copper/Estate also has an advantage over gaining a lab. Say you have trashed 3 Coppers and 3 Estates and bought 1 Mountebank this game. Your next hand WILL contain the Mountebank. Say you have bought 1 Mountebank and 6 labs this game. Your next hand could still be dead.

Even so, I think his overall point is correct... trashing a card from your hand should, as a whole, be stronger than gaining a Will-o'-Wisp.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 10:29:13 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 12:51:14 pm »

There's more than that. Even if trashing a card is 100% like gaining a lab, The Flame's Gift can miss if you don't have a card to trash when you get it.

But indeed there are other differences. Trashing an Estate is like gaining a lab but also losing a token. Trashing a Copper is like gaining a lab but also taking your - token. So both are slightly worse than gaining a lab.

On the other hand, trashing a Copper/Estate also has an advantage over gaining a lab. Say you have trashed 3 Coppers and 3 Estates and bought 1 Mountebank this game. Your next hand WILL contain the Mountebank. Say you have bought 1 Mountebank and 6 labs this game. Your next hand could still be dead.

Even so, I think his overall point is correct... trashing a card from your hand should, as a whole, be stronger than gaining a Will-o'-Wisp.

I think that, in practice, it's the interactions with Wisp being an action card that make all the difference (Imp/Conclave/Thrones/Landmarks/etc.) Compared to trashing with Flame's Gift. Though, I'm sure the stats between these cards are not far off.

I'm not surprised that Wind's Gift shows up favourably in the stats. It's great on Blessed Village and helps you line up Idols. In general, I expect that it's ability to save turns outweighs its dead draws on average, and maybe the same is true for Sea's Gift. Those cases where you are drawing your deck and have to discard two cards to Wind's Gift seem like "first world problems".

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 03:54:28 pm »
+1

I agree with Flame's Gift at 3rd. It's a bit inconsistent and there aren't a lot of ways to get Flame's Gift early. It's also slightly hurt by Pixie being one of main ways to get early Boons, since Pixie comes with Goat. (Which is directly called out in the secret history for Nocturne to weaken the effect of getting lucky with an early Pixie hit.) It's still by far better than anything below it though, and I could see someone moving it above Earth's Gift if they really like trashing rather than the gains. Hard to see anything dethroning Swamp's Gift though.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 07:44:52 pm »
+4

Also, I think we can agree that trashing a lab is not the same as trashing nothing.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 03:33:41 am »
+1

The trashing the card is like gaining a lab adage is stifled insofar as labs can stack while trashed cards don't. You can draw two labs with a lab; what's the trash a card equivalent?

The corollary is that Willowisps can be stacked and therefore can be an excellent choice for Druid's effect.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 09:45:16 am »

You can draw two labs with a lab; what's the trash a card equivalent?
On a board where both trashing and Labs are available, is the equivalent not drawing a Lab instead of an Estate, because you trashed the Estate?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 10:35:26 am »

The trashing the card is like gaining a lab adage is stifled insofar as labs can stack while trashed cards don't. You can draw two labs with a lab; what's the trash a card equivalent?

The equivalent is that you start off with the next 3 cards in your deck already. I think it does correlate there.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 10:44:05 am »

Will-o-wisps are better than labs, because you can draw two will-o-wisps with a will-o-wisp, but you can't draw two labs with a will-o-wisp.

Really the main problem with flame's gift is that sometimes you don't have a card to trash, or you need those coppers right now to hit a price point, or you just discarded the card you wanted to trash to lost in the woods.  In you decline to trash you're not gaining those labs.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2019, 03:43:17 pm »

Will-o-wisps are better than labs, because you can draw two will-o-wisps with a will-o-wisp, but you can't draw two labs with a will-o-wisp.

Yes, but you can do both those things by playing a lab.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2019, 04:16:14 pm »

Really the main problem with flame's gift is that sometimes you don't have a card to trash, or you need those coppers right now to hit a price point, or you just discarded the card you wanted to trash to lost in the woods.  In you decline to trash you're not gaining those labs.

I do not think WoW is better than lab.  Not even close.  In fact I'm pretty sure it is strictly worse. But I do think that Swamps Gifts is usually better than Flame's Gift

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2019, 05:02:58 pm »
+2

That was a joke my friends.  More will-o-wisp facts: Will-o-wisp is better than lab because if the top card of your deck is something crappy (like a will-o-wisp), will-o-wisp will clear it out for you, and if it's something good (like a lab), will-o-wisp will save it for your next turn for increased reliability.

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 05:10:52 pm »

The problem with ranking Boons is how card-dependent they are. Sky's Gift is way better on Bard or Idol (which you play at the end of your turn, but before your Treasures) than on Blessed Village (when you buy Blessed Village, you probably don't have enough cards left to discard, and you don't want it at the start of your turn). Forest and Field are clearly the best on Sacred Grove. Gainers are extra good with Tracker. And Druid favors those you want to get regularly (Flame/Swamp).

I'd say the fact that boons vary wildly in power between cards is a testament to good design.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2019, 05:45:36 pm »

I do not think WoW is better than lab.  Not even close.  In fact I'm pretty sure it is strictly worse.

Interestingly though, 2 Will-o'-Wisps is NOT strictly worse than a Will-o'-Wisp and a Lab.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2019, 08:38:03 pm »

That was a joke my friends.  More will-o-wisp facts: Will-o-wisp is better than lab because if the top card of your deck is something crappy (like a will-o-wisp), will-o-wisp will clear it out for you, and if it's something good (like a lab), will-o-wisp will save it for your next turn for increased reliability.

Hey, you never know

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2019, 11:04:51 pm »
+1

I do not think WoW is better than lab.  Not even close.  In fact I'm pretty sure it is strictly worse.

Iiiiiit's edge case time! If you have a Vassal in your hand, then if the second card down is another Vassal, you'll want it revealed but not drawn.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2019, 02:29:33 am »

I'd say the fact that boons vary wildly in power between cards is a testament to good design.
I'm not saying otherwise - though I do think that the +$1 exception on Sacred Grove should have been avoided. It just makes ranking them a difficult exercise.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2019, 02:34:28 am »
+1

A strategy based on this premise only works in every fourth Druid game.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.