Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 123  All

Author Topic: RMM52: Deep Space Nine Mafia Redux (GAME OVER, Maquis win!)  (Read 385543 times)

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
Re: RMM52: Deep Space Nine Mafia Redux (Day 2)
« Reply #950 on: March 05, 2019, 07:22:48 am »

I don’t really know what you mean, you may be viewing this game using masculine/feminine, but I am not. I am basing my reads on activity and content. Implying that I lack empathy/discernment helps nothing.
I think ignoring whatever outside biases you may have makes you worse at this game. If you come up with a scum list and all of the people on it share a certain non game-related characteristic - and it does not matter whether this is gender, age, activity level, native language or something else - then you should absolutely critically evaluate whether there is a bias that makes you scumread this particular set of players. This has not so much to do with identity politics as it has with being a good player. I don't think Space ever meant to imply that you lack empathy and don't see where you got that impression.

We all have biases - funnily enough I think Space's read on MiX is heavily influenced by non-game related bias.

Thank you, faust. I agree with you on both points!

@Uncleeurope, I'm sorry if my tone was too accusatory when I asked whether you'd considered that you might be biased. I made a conscious effort to phrase that as a question because I wanted to raise it as a possibility without openly saying that I thought you were definitely doing that. However, reading back over my post, even with the question-phrasing, it sounds like I was being a bit pointed. I do accuse you of being at least marginally off with your reads, though, because I can guarantee that at least one of the players you listed is emphatically not scum :-)

I also agree that I have to be careful about by own biases, and indeed that's why I haven't voted MiX in D2 yet in spite of the fact that I think raerae is right about MiX virtually lying to town, and that isn't something I think town should do lightly.

To be as generous to MiX as I can be, he didn't explicitly say he'd looked for Robz's post and couldn't find it, he only said at #914 that he couldn't find it. However, not finding something is a common outcome of not even t even attempt to look for it. So when he admitted at #917 that he didn't even look for the post raerae had been referring to, it wasn't a contradiction in the strict sense. (I'm still not at all a fan of this play, though!)
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: March 05, 2019, 07:34:20 am »

Awaclus, why should I think that you are town?

Well, there are only weak reasons so far but I did some scumhunting yesterday and participated in getting the lynch through.
How is participating in getting the lynch through indication of townieness?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #952 on: March 05, 2019, 07:42:07 am »

Well, there are only weak reasons so far but I did some scumhunting yesterday and participated in getting the lynch through.

Because lynch is better than no lynch.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: March 05, 2019, 07:53:00 am »

Which is just as true for scum in multiball.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: March 05, 2019, 08:08:23 am »

1000 boooos

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #955 on: March 05, 2019, 08:10:04 am »

Which is just as true for scum in multiball.

I didn't think of that.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: March 05, 2019, 08:12:57 am »

And it is almost comical how raerae and shraeye are rehashing the exact same reads the had last game.
Yeah, I'm dying laughing.

But seriously, this brushstroke is way too broad.  It feels like a discredit to the MiX vote, for reasons that are much bigger than they really are. 

*shraeye and raerae vote MiX in M121, shraeye and raerae vote Mix in RMM52*
Faust: funny how ALL of both of your reads are just exact copies of last game

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: March 05, 2019, 08:24:42 am »

And it is almost comical how raerae and shraeye are rehashing the exact same reads the had last game.

But seriously, this brushstroke is way too broad.  It feels like a discredit to the MiX vote, for reasons that are much bigger than they really are. 

Faust: funny how ALL of both of your reads are just exact copies of last game.
Also raerae was pushing for your lynch on D1, which mirrors what happened in the other game.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: March 05, 2019, 08:33:37 am »

Also raerae was pushing for your lynch on D1, which mirrors what happened in the other game.

I feel like raerae was "pushing" shraeye's lynch, not actually pushing the lynch.  Like, it was slapstick tunneling.  That was scummy to me.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: RMM52: Deep Space Nine Mafia Redux (Day 1)
« Reply #959 on: March 05, 2019, 09:26:33 am »

Vote Count 2.1

Worf wanted the station evacuated of civilians, but the Council of Vedeks overrules him and he ends up with exactly the opposite: A huge influx of Bajorans coming to the station for the Emissary's funeral, which will be conducted by Kai Winn and held on the Promenade. It is decided that one funeral will be held for the Emissary, his son, and Major Kira (the highest ranking Bajoran officer on the station). In spite of himself, Odo finds himself abandoning his spy-hunting to arrange security for the funeral.

Worf, meanwhile, has to secure access to the larger space.

"Look, no one loved the commander more than I," Quark says. "My own nephew and his son were inseparable. I was like a second father to the boy, in a way. And if it were just up to me, I would love to offer up the bar AND the catering, free of charge, for the wake. But in these lean times, I have bills to pay and a bar to keep open. You know, when he first arrived at the station, Commander Sisko begged me to keep the bar open. Nobody cared for Quarks more than him. So, in his memory, to honor him, I will have to charge my usual fee. But I'll tell you what. Assuming you meet the drink minimum, I promise to donate 10 percent of the profits to help the Bajoran war orphans that Major Kira cared about so much."

"You have no honor," Worf says. "But I do not have time to argue with you. Just see that there is food."

SpaceAnemone (1): UncleEurope
UncleEurope (1): WestCoastDidds
raerae (1): MiX
MiX (2): raerae, Shraeye
Awaclus (1): faust

Not voting (9): 2.71828....., UmbrageofSnow, SpaceAnemone, chickenwarlord, DatSwan, Awaclus, Glooble, ashersky, EFHW

With 15 alive it takes 8 to lynch most players. Day 2 ends at 8:00 am forum time, Monday March 11th.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 03:12:07 pm by jotheonah »
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: March 05, 2019, 10:16:38 am »

Hi friends-

I am completely sunk under with work stuff today. I'll be back tomorrow. xoxo
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

raerae

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: raerae
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: March 05, 2019, 10:19:25 am »

I think you and I have a different definition of "pushing."

raerae

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: March 05, 2019, 10:20:32 am »

I feel like raerae was "pushing" shraeye's lynch, not actually pushing the lynch.  Like, it was slapstick tunneling.  That was scummy to me.

Ash, serious question, have you ever actually read me as town?

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #963 on: March 05, 2019, 10:39:57 am »

Hi friends-

I am completely sunk under with work stuff today. I'll be back tomorrow. xoxo

I am also incredibly swamped by my job, but I will try and check in tonight.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: March 05, 2019, 10:54:10 am »

I guess my memory is not quite accurate. You voted shraeye early and then spent basically every other post questioning people who voiced an opinion on him. I guess you never explicitly expressed a scumread, but I am not surprised that I had that impression.

raerae

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: March 05, 2019, 11:20:37 am »

I guess my memory is not quite accurate. You voted shraeye early and then spent basically every other post questioning people who voiced an opinion on him. I guess you never explicitly expressed a scumread, but I am not surprised that I had that impression.

My vote was my standard start of game vote for shraeye but other people seemed to actually have STRONG opinions on him which seemed weird so early game. Of course I'm going to question that.

raerae

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: March 05, 2019, 11:29:58 am »

I also think that picking apart the minutiae of MiX's posts is an easy way for scum to create interactions without providing much content. UoS and raerae stand out as the main culprits.

I don't understand how showing somebody is wrong is "picking apart the minutiae."  MiX lied and misrepresented to make a case on me and I pointed that out.   This makes two times you've tried to downplay my MiX vote.  Are you protecting him or just trying to build up the suspicion on me?

raerae

• Thief
    • View Profile
Re: RMM52: Deep Space Nine Mafia Redux (Night 1)
« Reply #967 on: March 05, 2019, 11:38:48 am »

I feel like NK analysis is more useful here than normally.

You want to actually do this instead of just dropping a post saying it's a good idea?

Without anybody outing themselves, is it safe to assume jimmmmmmmmm shot mcmc and scum was blocked in someway?  I don't recall jimmmmmm throwing shade on mcmc but could just be misremembering.  Or do they both look like scum kills because N1 might not be the best time to use your one-shot?  This is dangerously close to setup talk which I'm absolutely fabulous at so I look forward to giving some deep insights.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: March 05, 2019, 11:53:24 am »

I also think that picking apart the minutiae of MiX's posts is an easy way for scum to create interactions without providing much content. UoS and raerae stand out as the main culprits.

I don't understand how showing somebody is wrong is "picking apart the minutiae."  MiX lied and misrepresented to make a case on me and I pointed that out.   This makes two times you've tried to downplay my MiX vote.  Are you protecting him or just trying to build up the suspicion on me?
Well I am bound to not vote for you today, so no, I am not trying to build up suspicion. I want to lynch Awaclus. I admit that you have more of a reason to agrue with MiX since he scumread you. But I just skimmed those posts, they were kind of tedious to read through.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: RMM52: Deep Space Nine Mafia Redux (Night 1)
« Reply #969 on: March 05, 2019, 11:56:32 am »

I feel like NK analysis is more useful here than normally.

You want to actually do this instead of just dropping a post saying it's a good idea?
I did do this. I just don't want to share.

Without anybody outing themselves, is it safe to assume jimmmmmmmmm shot mcmc and scum was blocked in someway?  I don't recall jimmmmmm throwing shade on mcmc but could just be misremembering.  Or do they both look like scum kills because N1 might not be the best time to use your one-shot?  This is dangerously close to setup talk which I'm absolutely fabulous at so I look forward to giving some deep insights.
I think it is relatively safe to assume that Jimmmmm did not use his shot N1. There are probably lots of "should vigs shoot N1" discussions out there and you could find Jimmmmm's stance on that, but anyway I imagine there is a relative consensus that 1-shot vigs should not shoot N1.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: March 05, 2019, 12:10:36 pm »

Because I have nothing better to do I checked whether Jimmmmm has gone on record on whether vigs should shoot N1. Here it is.

We have a Vig who as we know should not shoot until at least the mid-late game.

So, it should definitely be safe to assume both kills were scum-induced.

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
Re: RMM52: Deep Space Nine Mafia Redux (Day 1)
« Reply #971 on: March 05, 2019, 12:11:04 pm »

MiX states his opinion, everyone in the world pounces on him. Am I not supposed to say things? But this provided a lot of reactions, so I'm happy.

Ha. I have to admit I didn't look for whatever post you where refering to, I just found a good non-Robz that I remembered (because I wrote it). Well that's awkward.

I haven't even read the rest of this post,

Vote: MiX

blatantly lying to influence town is the literal definition of scum.

Oh come on! I wasn't intentionally lying, I saw something weird and I went to look for an explanation, didn't look into it too much since I assumed you knew what you were replying to and it felt null. This is just...a weird reason to vote. But I guess what you say next's supposed to justify it?

Your reason to vote ash was discredited by mcmc a few posts later

I don't see why you would have to be honest with your reason to vote for people if you're scum, thus I see no reason to believe if a vote was OMGUS or not based on what you say. Right? Am I being confusing here? Not that you gain anything by lying, but you're always lying when voting as scum anyway and this is no different.

As for Jimmmmmm, why did you sell your vote to faust? Why not e, me, shraeye, I don't know, anyone else? And did you simply sheep his case or did you see anything else that was scummy? That's the answer I wanted, "why did you vote for Jimmmmm" is a good catch-all question for that, I think.

Okay, actually read the whole thing, I'll address the three bolded points and then I'm all sorts of done with this.  If anybody else wants to engage, I'd be happy to talk.

1) Discredited??  My OPINION on scummy behavior isn't any less valid than his.  Facts can be discredited but opinions are just feelings with a different name and you don't get to tell somebody their feelings aren't valid.  mcmc isn't right because he believes it isn't scummy and I'm not right because I do, we just feel differently about the subject.  I still see ash's reasons for voting for me as scummy but mcmc and faust (two players I respect and who have significant game experience, and one who's conf!town) don't so I am willing to accept that it may not be as scummy as it looks to me.  I'm willing to recognize that somebody else's feelings are valid.

2) My problem isn't with you disbelieving me when I say it wasn't OMGUS (this is Mafia, disbelief is to be expected, I get it), it's with you TELLING me that my stated reason for voting wasn't my stated reason for voting.  It's you telling me you know more about what I was thinking and how I feel than I do.  Because you don't.  Flat out.  You can say, "I don't believe you," but you never get to fucking tell me, "No, it was X because I say so." 

3) Nobody else made an offer.  I sold to literally the only person bidding.

1) That was probably bad wording, I meant that the reason for your vote was, well, challenged by mcmc and you didn't respond to it. Not a "no, you're wrong" or "hmm, but he's still scummy because X" or...well, something. Let's see what happened:

So how does that makes me an informative lynch for town?  You're proposing a lynch of somebody who's few interactions are with somebody you have a townread on.  That seems exceedingly unhelpful to town.

Vote: ash

He didn’t say you were an informative lynch he said you are a good one. I agree your lynch isn’t super informative

I don't get it.  The only good lynch is an informative lynch, otherwise you're just killing to kill, what's the point?

A scum lynch is the best lynch regardless of how informative it is.

After this post, you didn't talk about ash again, or at least you didn't mention this again. However, you later implied that you had lost (or diminished) your scumread on ash. Aaaaand you just said it now. Okay, that makes sense.

2) I'm not telling YOU, I'm saying what I think it was. But you're right in that there's no reason for me to say WHY you did if I believe you're scum, because that would, by itself, be the reason (you're scum and you want to vote somewhere). So, okay, point taken. I guess I can rephrase that: I didn't agree with the reason you voted ash. Is that scummy? Guess not...

3) So this is essencially consistent with the lack of scumreads you had all D1, you simply latched onto a case that a (very influencial) player made because you liked it. Uh, yeah, it's just consistent, nothing scummy here...

So at this point I think one of the reasons I was scumreading raerae (lack of scumreads and weird reasons to vote) is...null-to-towny, according to her meta. Anyone else agree with this? It's definitely not as scummy as I initially thought, since she admitted she had basically no reads in D1 already...

Unvote, but there's one tricky question I want you to answer:

Anyway, she spends D1 interacting with shraeye, me and a little bit of faust. Or at least most of what she said was to or about one of these 3 players...In M121 she also did that, but much, much less (she still interacted more with me and shraeye but more with other players, relatively). So...@raerae, was this intentional?

Not sure how you would answer this, which is why I'm asking.

Next: all the things non-raerae that happened while I was gone.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: March 05, 2019, 01:18:50 pm »

I'll stand next to faust for awhile (plus I forgot that Eddie had claimed)

vote: Awaclus
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: March 05, 2019, 01:22:59 pm »

So that was only minutiae? Would you think I'm insane to say I think that interaction is going to help me read MiX as the game goes on?

Also, were you going to do some NKA or just comment that it would be useful, because I'm kind of waiting to see what you have to say.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: March 05, 2019, 01:24:02 pm »

People who are not named faust or Eddie (and also not including Uncleeurope):

What do people think my read on e is? Have I implied one?
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 123  All

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 20 queries.