Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tournament & Jack ?  (Read 1160 times)

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
Tournament & Jack ?
« on: March 08, 2012, 06:02:00 am »

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120308-025359-70ee32fa.html

I lost this game. He started a doubleJack strategy. I was thinking "JoAT somehow conflict with tournament, because you'll have a bunch of silver and it would be difficult to draw province and tournament together".

Seems I was totally wrong, because he managed to take followers and trusty steed. Or perhaps it was just bad luck ?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 06:50:30 am by brokoli »

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: Tournament & Jack ?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 06:11:47 am »

Wrong game, you linked to an IGG-secret chamber game without JoAT.

That said I don't think Jack conflicts with Tournament enough to necessarily forego one or the other. Well, it does a little, but at the end of the day, the best way to get your Tournaments to collide with your Provinces is to get a lot of provinces fast, and Jack is pretty good at that.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 06:51:04 am »

Fixed, thanks !

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 11:24:13 am »

Your opponent gets some nice draws but there isn't a particularly poor conflict between the jack-of-all-trades and tournament. The jack delivers fast provinces, can tidy up estates/curses from followers, and although it does add extra silvers they initially just replace the trashed estates. In fact you could probably play a jack-of-all-trades deck and win the game even losing the prizes. Throw hamlets into the mix, council rooms to draw up all the silver, and some good draws for your opponent and this isn't a surprising result.

The alternative method you tried with serial drawing cards wasn't particularly strong and looked worse once you gave up on it and added the council room. It needed trashing to get it working so that would have meant a trading post, but then you have to think that a turn 2 jack is plainly better than turn 4 trading post.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 20 queries.