Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Are promos worth it?  (Read 15568 times)

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
Re: Are promos worth it?
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2019, 06:09:59 am »

3) Use one card from each pile for randomizers
The trouble with that is it stinks for playing random or semi-random kingdoms. If you ever want to choose a pile, you have to go digging in the randomizers for the missing card. )-8
I don't know why you say "random" there - it makes random kingdoms exactly as well as the randomizer deck does, with exactly as much searching for cards. Instead of turning over a random randomizer card and looking for the pile of 10, I turn over a random card and look for the pile of 9 to add to it. It's just exactly the same.

For needing a particular card, well as it happens I also keep each expansion separate - I deal out 5 random Seaside cards, 5 random Renaissance cards. So if I want to specifically test Swashbuckler, I turn over the pile of 25 cards and it's easy to find. But yes if you shuffled them all together it would take a while to find the 10th copy of something.

Wouldn't 300+ randomizer cards be difficult to shuffle? Or do you just limit the number of expansions you play with at once?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2019, 05:50:58 pm »

The trouble with that is it stinks for playing random or semi-random kingdoms. If you ever want to choose a pile, you have to go digging in the randomizers for the missing card. )-8
I don't know why you say "random" there - it makes random kingdoms exactly as well as the randomizer deck does, with exactly as much searching for cards. Instead of turning over a random randomizer card and looking for the pile of 10, I turn over a random card and look for the pile of 9 to add to it. It's just exactly the same.

For needing a particular card, well as it happens I also keep each expansion separate - I deal out 5 random Seaside cards, 5 random Renaissance cards. So if I want to specifically test Swashbuckler, I turn over the pile of 25 cards and it's easy to find. But yes if you shuffled them all together it would take a while to find the 10th copy of something.

Wouldn't 300+ randomizer cards be difficult to shuffle? Or do you just limit the number of expansions you play with at once?
I thought it was clear there, but I have e.g. a randomizer pile for Seaside (but it's really one of each regular-backed card from Seaside), and it's never mixed with other randomizers, it's always just the 26 Seaside cards. I shuffle that, it's 26 cards. I deal out 5 and then go to another pile for another expansion. I play with two expansions at once.

I've never tried shuffling 300 randomizers. Typically with so many cards you shuffle sections and then combine it and divide it into new sections and then shuffle the sections again. There must be people doing this but not me.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2019, 06:45:56 pm »

You have to shuffle a deck of 177 cards for Evolution: Climate. When we need to shuffle large numbers of cards like that, we tend to divvy out about 50-70 to each of several shufflers. They shuffle for a bit, then pass half their cards to the left. After we've done that half a dozen times, we deem everything thoroughly shuffled.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2019, 07:21:53 pm »
+4

I thought it was clear there, but I have e.g. a randomizer pile for Seaside (but it's really one of each regular-backed card from Seaside), and it's never mixed with other randomizers, it's always just the 26 Seaside cards. I shuffle that, it's 26 cards. I deal out 5 and then go to another pile for another expansion. I play with two expansions at once.

I've never tried shuffling 300 randomizers. Typically with so many cards you shuffle sections and then combine it and divide it into new sections and then shuffle the sections again. There must be people doing this but not me.

*raises hand*
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2019, 08:08:44 pm »
+3

I just use the Randomizer deck for Black Market. Sure, the cards are blue backed so you can see what isn't from the Kingdom, and this changes things gameplay wise. But Black Market is already changing things a lot, so I don't really mind.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

buckets

• Scout
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2019, 12:17:20 am »

For people who think Black Market is one of the best: how do you do the setup IRL?  It sounds unusable.

randomizer cards + numbered blanks

dbclick

• Coppersmith
  • Shuffle iT Username: dbclick
  • Respect: +78
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2019, 11:43:28 am »

For people who think Black Market is one of the best: how do you do the setup IRL?  It sounds unusable.

Use an app with virtual Black Market deck support. It can simulate a Black Market deck for you. If someone buys the actual card you then dig it out, that way you only have to fish for the cards you need.

Another reasonable option is Donald's method with the 10th copy of each card as your randomizer decks. This can get unwieldy if you want to have a Black Market deck with cards from several expansions, though.

I've also played with a curated Black Market deck, but this is very time-consuming.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2019, 05:22:18 pm »
+2

I feel like using the randomizer deck and then just grabbing actual copies of whatever cards get bought is a pretty good compromise.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2019, 02:04:40 pm »

Use an app with virtual Black Market deck support. It can simulate a Black Market deck for you. If someone buys the actual card you then dig it out, that way you only have to fish for the cards you need.
Can you suggest any?  People keep saying this, but I have yet to find one that does more than pick out the BM cards.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2019, 10:34:08 pm »

Can you suggest any?  People keep saying this, but I have yet to find one that does more than pick out the BM cards.

Clearly, someone needs to make one.

*glances from side to side*

*puts finger on nose*

Not it
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2019, 02:17:14 am »

I feel like using the randomizer deck and then just grabbing actual copies of whatever cards get bought is a pretty good compromise.
This really is a good enough solution, folks, and well within the spirit of IRL board gaming.

Otherwise if you're going to have a BM-specific app, why not just go all out and have a Dominion Online LAN party with 5 laptops 'round the table?
My opponent has more loot than me

dbclick

• Coppersmith
  • Shuffle iT Username: dbclick
  • Respect: +78
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2019, 12:48:08 am »

From the Android side there's both Kingdom Shuffler for Dominion and Dominion Picker with virtual Black Market deck options. Dominion Picker doesn't have Nocturne or Renaissance yet, though.

I don't use iOS enough right now to speak to what's available there.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2019, 11:08:27 am »

From the Android side there's both Kingdom Shuffler for Dominion and Dominion Picker with virtual Black Market deck options. Dominion Picker doesn't have Nocturne or Renaissance yet, though.

For iOS, Randominion has a decent Black Market function, if I remember correctly.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2019, 05:37:53 pm »

For iOS, Randominion has a decent Black Market function, if I remember correctly.
There's no Renaissance on Randominion though

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2019, 11:45:24 pm »

This really is a good enough solution, folks, and well within the spirit of IRL board gaming.

Otherwise if you're going to have a BM-specific app, why not just go all out and have a Dominion Online LAN party with 5 laptops 'round the table?
That's quite a bit of a stretch don't you think?

For the former, all you need is one phone.  To implement it would be FAAR easier than making the entire Dominion series

For the latter, you'd need to lug around 5 laptops, be able to plug them in somewhere, and have internet access.  Dominion Online is already a thing, but some people prefer the physical cards.

A BM virtual deck app fulfills a need that can make things far more convenient.  Ditto with a randomizer app.  Reduces the need to carry hundreds of randomizer cards, and all that shuffling.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2019, 04:05:59 pm »
+19

Hey here's a thread with "promos" in the title.

The two new promos are expected in August.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2019, 04:44:35 pm »
+2

Are they worth it?

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2019, 05:16:49 pm »

I recently got governor and Black Market. Black market is fun but hard to set up.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2019, 07:58:13 pm »
+17

Are they worth it?
One of them shows RTT in a hat. So I mean. Obviously.

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2019, 01:56:56 pm »
+4

Now i know who stole the hat.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2019, 02:11:12 pm »

It's my birthday today and someone gave me $50. I don't have any of the promos yet, and all of them together cost $43 in the bgg store (The 8 kingdom cards for $5 each and Summon for $3). So it's kind of obvious what I have to get.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2019, 04:14:56 pm »

It's my birthday today and someone gave me $50. I don't have any of the promos yet, and all of them together cost $43 in the bgg store (The 8 kingdom cards for $5 each and Summon for $3). So it's kind of obvious what I have to get.
shipping included?

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2019, 05:32:19 pm »

shipping included?

I bought 4 promos from BGG last month--I live in Southern California in the US, and my total shipping was $3.86. That was in addition to $5 per kingdom card.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2019, 10:02:49 pm »

I didn't actually think about shipping. But if it goes over my $50, I'm totally willing to spend my own money. I would gladly take the whole thing out of my own money, in fact, but it's nice that I got almost the perfect amount as a gift.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2019, 08:50:06 pm »
+3

Huh, interesting. The promos just arrived, and Walled Village, Governor, Prince, and Stash came as their 1E versions. The rest all had flag expansion symbols so I assume they were 2E. The wiki says not all 2E promos have been released, that must be why.

Also, the wiki apparently says that "tournaments may offer promos as prizes." I completely missed that it was talking about real-life tournaments and real-life prizes, rather than Tournaments and Prizes. It didn't help that the word tournaments linked somewhere, the same way all the cards do when they are specifically mentioned on another page.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.