Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion for College  (Read 6034 times)

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
Dominion for College
« on: December 31, 2018, 04:51:34 pm »
+2

So I'll be going to college next year, and I wanted to bring some of my Dominion sets, but not all of them. Assuming I bring a couple or say, 50 kingdom cards, what would you all suggest taking along? Also, has anyone had any luck making a Dominion storage case out of cardboard?
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion for College
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 05:04:48 pm »
+12

At least bring Academy, Loan, Library, Plan, Research, Scholar, Teacher, and University.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 05:13:13 pm »
+1

How many do you have?

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 06:52:25 pm »
+9

I'd invest in a storage solution and bring everything. You'll miss it. College is one of the places you can actually play games all the time.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +301
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 07:37:30 pm »
+1

For situations like this I really prefer to bring 1 or 2 boxes (usually 2) where I've just filled them up with kingdom cards from assorted expansions, sort of expansions remixes.  Then you deal out 10 random cards from the randomizer deck and play as normal, but you don't have cards you don't like or cards you always see together.

When you come home on breaks, switch out what cards are in your set.

Just make sure to have about the same number of villages and +buy etc as a normal expansion.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 07:38:28 pm »
+1

How many do you have?

Sorry, should have specified, I have everything but Intrigue and Rennaissance.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 04:01:04 am »
+1

I'd invest in a storage solution and bring everything. You'll miss it. College is one of the places you can actually play games all the time.

This. I had a weekly dominion group in college (with all the expansions at the time) and it was so much fun. And I've found you can make a lot of friends by saying you have all of dominion.

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 09:43:50 am »

This. I had a weekly dominion group in college (with all the expansions at the time) and it was so much fun. And I've found you can make a lot of friends by saying you have all of dominion.
There is rarely a time when you find someone that doesn't like dominion after you've taught them how to play

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 09:44:46 am »

You should bring Possession just because.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 02:40:07 pm »
+3

It is nine tenths of the law, after all.

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 03:21:12 pm »

?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 03:41:20 pm »

?

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 03:42:27 pm »

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2019, 04:48:52 pm »
+1

I'm in the same exact situation. What I did was get a large binder and fill it with those plastic trading card holding sheets and put the dominion cards in there. It fit about 6 expansions in the space equivalent to one box, and can be easily flipped through, showing all the cards. It's easy to transport and protects them well.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2019, 08:24:26 pm »

It's not quite an answer, but bear in mind you could take different cards each term.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2019, 10:27:08 pm »
+4

How many do you have?
Sorry, should have specified, I have everything but Intrigue and Rennaissance.
Is it practical for you to return home? Many of us, including myself, are assuming you live within driving distance.  So half an hour drive?  1 hour?  2 hours?  3 hours?  Will you even have a car (I didn't my first 2 years)?  Either way, are you able to return home once a semester?  Once a month?  Or no more than once a year?

Bring more if you won't be making more frequent trips back home.  AFAIK, taking just 50% of your total collection should give you the best of both worlds... leaving a nontrivial amount of extra weight and required volume to store them behind, while getting solid variety assuming you won't be able to swap out cards in a frequent manner.

Some suggestions to INCLUDE:
-Events, Landmarks, Projects
These are only 1 single card each, but their impacts are as much as any 10-card pile, if not more. 

Some of them have dependencies (e.g. Landmarks and Events that use VP tokens), but they should be a better bang for the buck if you grab more/ALL cards that use them.  Another judgment call is if you'd like to bring the original tokens, or do Renn's "proxy system".  For the former, it's cool to show off the Embargo tokens, ones for the Trade Route mat, Pirate, Debt, and VP.  OTOH, that's THAT many more tokens you'd need to lug around.  For the latter, Renn. has it that all tokens that are Villagers are some sort of generic ones that just go on a "special Villagers mat".  This shold save space, not to mention weigh less, at the tradeoff of being "less cool".

-cards you just really like
-cards you may think others will like
This may end up being mostly the same as the previous bullet point, as I've never been on the "college board gaming scene", but perhaps here (on DS.com) and other parts of the internet can share their experiences on popular cards, and given what sorts of groups they've gamed with

Some suggestions to EXclude:
-randomizers
These add up to hundreds of cards right there!
There are basic randomizer apps for Android, web, and iOS.  If you have access to all 3 platforms, chances are higher that you can get something: for free/low cost, very robust, can fine tune parameters, and/or save specific Kingdoms for later use.  If not, you may want to allocate some extra money to hit more requirements than otherwise.

-less desirable cards
e.g. "sloggy", Attack, and otherwise unfun out of personal preference

-cards that have dependencies
For example, Urchin (DA) requires Mercenaries as well.  Many of the Nocturne ones require Boons/Hexes/Heirlooms.  Not as worth it if you're only going to use a subset of them

I'm in the same exact situation. What I did was get a large binder and fill it with those plastic trading card holding sheets and put the dominion cards in there. It fit about 6 expansions in the space equivalent to one box, and can be easily flipped through, showing all the cards. It's easy to transport and protects them well.
One person in my game group has this, and it worked out very well.  Each page is a 3x3 of kingdom cards.  Each pocket is deep enough to store at least 10 cards.  For large piles, use a tuckbox or the larger "one row" boxes, like for Coppers, etc.

LET THE NEW COLLEGE BE ANOTHER LOCATION THAT'S PART OF DOMINION UNIVERSITY  8)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 12:30:47 am by ackmondual »
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

buckets

• Scout
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 12:04:56 am »

2" binders with 9-slot sleeve pages work well

I have everything in 4 binders plus one medium-sized deck box

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2019, 06:41:41 pm »

What degree are you getting?

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2019, 09:31:48 am »

What degree are you getting?

I will probably major in Economics.
Thanks everyone for the advice! I've managed to consolidate all my cards into half a dozen big boxes. Its quite heavy, but very space efficient!

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2019, 11:29:35 am »
+1

Enjoy. I got into Dominion in college and played with 3 friends every single day, several times a day for one semester. We started with just the base set, then got Prosperity and then Intrigue. We started playing on Isotropic that semester too so we could chew through even more games. Over the next couple years I continued gaming with that same group, and while the games we played diversified, Dominion was always at the core.

One of the greatest things about that time is that we all learned the game together so there was a lot of competition and innovation as we all discovered new strategies. It sounds like you'll be coming in as the expert, so unless you meet up with some other experienced gamers, I'd recommend easing people into the game instead of tossing them into the deep end with all of the cards and all of the strats and hoping they can swim.

That was a great time in my life, and I'm still close with all of my Dominion buddies. I wish you all the best!
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2019, 01:45:40 pm »
+2

Definitely get a storage solution.  If you don't want to invest in a giant wooden box, just buy a couple trapper keepers and some pocket pages, that's what I use.  I keep tokens and mats and rulebooks in the base box, so rather than lugging around 12 boxes, I lug around one box and two trapper keepers.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.