Dominion > Dominion General Discussion

Why Peasant Will Be On My Ban List

<< < (2/11) > >>

Commodore Chuckles:

--- Quote from: Seprix on November 08, 2018, 04:18:06 pm ---Peasant offers the same song and dance every time, and there's nothing you can do about it but play it the way you always do.

--- End quote ---

The statement I disagreed with most. Peasant offers lots of interesting choices more often than not. Do you put +Action on the terminal draw to make a Lab or on the cantrip because there's no villages? Etc. All the new choices it opens up make up for the fact that the choice of buying the card itself it is trivial, in my opinion. It is also not "centralizing", because you cannot win just by buying it and nothing else, unlike e.g. Rebuild. The whole source of its power, in fact, is the way it interacts with other cards. It's for these reasons that I love Peasant despite its OPness.

avorian:

--- Quote from: Commodore Chuckles on November 08, 2018, 07:37:33 pm --- It is also not "centralizing", because you cannot win just by buying it and nothing else, unlike e.g. Rebuild. The whole source of its power, in fact, is the way it interacts with other cards. It's for these reasons that I love Peasant despite its OPness.

--- End quote ---

Obviously precise definitions for things are in short supply, but at least as "centralizing" was used in jsh's tier listings of cards it doesn't mean that you only buy that card. It means that you almost always "build the strategy around this card".

This is certainly not universal, but I think people tend to refer to the rebuild type of things as "monolithic".

connorbr011:
What about Page? It’s at least as centralizing as Peasant, and at least in my experience, makes for less interesting games. Page has more autoplay than Peasant, while having the same degree of reliance on shuffle luck. Just my two cents.

Seprix:

--- Quote from: Commodore Chuckles on November 08, 2018, 07:37:33 pm ---
--- Quote from: Seprix on November 08, 2018, 04:18:06 pm ---Peasant offers the same song and dance every time, and there's nothing you can do about it but play it the way you always do.

--- End quote ---

The statement I disagreed with most. Peasant offers lots of interesting choices more often than not. Do you put +Action on the terminal draw to make a Lab or on the cantrip because there's no villages? Etc. All the new choices it opens up make up for the fact that the choice of buying the card itself it is trivial, in my opinion.

--- End quote ---

Man I hope Peasant offers more interesting choices than that. (spoiler: it does) but it's more like, you do pretty similarish stuff with only a tiny amount of things for optimization. Maybe you delay the Teacher a shuffle.

--- Quote ---It is also not "centralizing"

--- End quote ---

lol

--- Quote from: connorbr011 on November 08, 2018, 08:41:31 pm ---What about Page? It’s at least as centralizing as Peasant, and at least in my experience, makes for less interesting games. Page has more autoplay than Peasant, while having the same degree of reliance on shuffle luck. Just my two cents.

--- End quote ---

I knew this one would come up, and hilariously enough I have about the opposite take on it. I know, it makes no sense. It makes no sense to me either. But it's how I currently feel. It has its nonsense games though. I feel like somehow, the swingy nonsense is much less likely for the Page line than the Peasant line.

Beyond Awesome:
On my two cost cards, I have Peasant ranked number one. It is very swingy, but I don't hate it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version