Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Reconnection counter, long games, and a crappy ISP policy  (Read 2455 times)

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
Reconnection counter, long games, and a crappy ISP policy
« on: June 27, 2011, 03:20:40 pm »

My ISP works very well with continuously-on connections, but has a nasty habit of closing connections that don't get used.  If my opponent thinks too long I might get my connection closed and I have absolutely no way to tell besides waiting.  I don't want to wait any longer than I need to, both for my own sake and for my opponent's sake if I actually am disconnected, so I often refresh the page or switch between images and text to see if the game is really waiting on my opponent or whether I've been disconnected.  I was just in a colony game with lots of +2 action cards that ended up going a bit long; we both had some long action chains going.  After a bit I got "5 reconnects remaining".  Not knowing what would happen if I ended up using all of them, I just continued doing what I was used to doing, trying to play the game at a reasonable pace.  I "used up" all the reconnects and ended up being booted and told to "stop abusing the server".  Well, I'm willing to do that, as soon as I can have a way of knowing whether I'm still connected when the game stalls for a few seconds; I don't want both of us sitting there waiting for each other. 

Any suggestions?
Stop reading my signature.

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
Re: Reconnection counter, long games, and a crappy ISP policy
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 03:37:22 pm »

I don't have any really good suggestion.  Manage reconnections wisely!

I've started going to other websites first to test my connection to the net.  If I can't connect to my email, then it's not worth refreshing isotropic.

Stoc

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 03:39:31 pm »

Try typing something like 'frozen?' in the chat box. I've had this cause the game state to update a couple times.

Personman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
    • My Friendfeed
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 04:05:09 pm »

One thing to note is that may not always be too late if you get the too many reconnects notice. Wait for some amount of time < 3 minutes and try again. It worked for me once.
My youtube channel. Isoptropic games with commentary!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 05:20:42 pm »

My ISP works very well with continuously-on connections, but has a nasty habit of closing connections that don't get used.  If my opponent thinks too long I might get my connection closed and I have absolutely no way to tell besides waiting.

A second browser tab with this site open?  The isotropic tab will flash when it needs input from you, on your turn or theirs.

Run Pandora in another tab?  You can even turn the volume to zero if you don't actually want music, but you'll still be downloading.

Get a better ISP?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 05:24:56 pm »

I have this problem all the time using safari on my ipad.  I find that typing into the text box and deleting it, or even just hitting enter in the text box, will fix it.  The other thing I do is click on the card I plan on playing first next turn - that helps, but doesn't work as well if you have something like Caravan/Warf/Council Room bouncing around which could change your next turn.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.