Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Highway cost interactions  (Read 17996 times)

mathguy

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
Re: Highway cost interactions
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2011, 09:12:23 am »

1. Highway/feast seems to be overlooked so far. Feast gets you highways, highways let you feast for better cards. I think a setup like KC/highway/feast would allow for some quick highways followed with some quick KC acquisitions to be topped off with a mega turn of KC/feast -> 3 provinces.

Doesn't Feast read "Trash this. If you do gain ...". That would suggest to me that KC-Feast would get you only one card as you can't trash the extra Feasts. Granted, I have never wanted to play KC-Feast so I wouldn't know.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2011, 09:23:37 am »

No, Feast doesn't say "If you do..." Check the Feast FAQ: it explicitly says if you Throne Room a Feast you gain two cards.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2011, 09:25:20 am »

Feast's text is "Trash this card. Gain a card costing up to $5.".

It is also explained in the base set FAQ that TRing a Feast will net you two cards. This can be easily extended to KC (It might be in the KC FAQ too but I don't have Prosperity).

*Sigh*... Ninja'd again.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2011, 09:50:21 am »

1. Highway/feast seems to be overlooked so far. Feast gets you highways, highways let you feast for better cards. I think a setup like KC/highway/feast would allow for some quick highways followed with some quick KC acquisitions to be topped off with a mega turn of KC/feast -> 3 provinces.

Doesn't Feast read "Trash this. If you do gain ...". That would suggest to me that KC-Feast would get you only one card as you can't trash the extra Feasts. Granted, I have never wanted to play KC-Feast so I wouldn't know.

As others noted, no, BUT:  Highway can't be Throned/KC'd like Bridge can.  Highway has the "while in play" clause, like Goons and Princess.  KC/Highway gets you 3 actions and 3 cards, but only $1 discount on buys.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2011, 08:39:15 am »
+1

2. Highway/mine could also be useful. Mostly, I think being able to mine coppers to kingdom treasures would be quite useful. E.g. Mine/Highway/Talisman should allow opportunistic mining to acquire huge numbers of high value cards while highway/quarry/mine should allow for some really insane action buys (KC for $4 anyone?). Another good option is highway/mine so more hands can benefit from mining into or out of potions  - you can always gain value while adjusting your treasure to potion balance on an as needed basis (golem/highway/mine/other potion cards seems like it should be quite strong).  Also mining coppers to ill gotten gains is a lot less painful than mining silver down to IGG. To a lesser extent some of the other 5 coin kingdom treasures became a lot better with highway making them one shots from copper (royal seal, horn of plenty, etc.)

3. Goons. Being able to mass buy self-replacing cards (e.g. Pearl Diver) for nothing is great. Making it cheaper to chain multiple goons/villages together also is a win. With more highways/goons/+actions you can accelerate goons decks even more insanely than they already run.

4. Farmland. I don't think this is viable even with highway, but getting down 6 highways makes these guys free and you can trash coppers for a duchy. This makes one late game mega turn (something like Highway X 6 with KC/CR/Pawn) allow you to get 40 VP and down two piles. Even better, if there are duchesses or haggler out you can 3 pile with as many points as 5 provinces with only 8 buys.

5. Talisman/Border village/highway might also be fun. Two highways and you can deplete the duchies and BVs using talismans, assuming talismans xor highways are already depleted you can end on three pile in a hurry.

I like the Highway/Mine-idea. Not sure if it's really a killer, but probably mining Copper->Talisman and get (unexpected) duplicated $5-buys is really a satisfactoring move. Esp. Talisman might behave somehow nicer here than with Bridge. Bridge already gives you the buy, so it's not so important to get the dublicates, and of course it's also 20% harder to collide Bridge and Talisman than Highway and Talisman.

Highway/Mine isn't a killer, but it is a fine trick. Mining to a quarry is normally a loss - unless you are buying multiple actions a turn you may as well forget it - silver to gold has the same net affect as silver to quarry. Highway/mine lets you jump from copper to gold - as much improvement to your hand as gold -> plat. Pretty much, mining all the kingdom treasures becomes more powerful with mine - and 3 highways + mine lets you go copper to gold.

KCing a highway is still a strong move. Yeah it doesn't stack the discount, but it gives you more treasure in hand (virtually assuring another highway or perhaps getting a second KC) and gives you plenty of surplus actions.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2011, 08:52:19 am »

Also another surprising combo is Bridge. One of the problem for the mega highway turn is that it takes so long to get enough highways without native + buy. Bridge makes double highway buys and double province buys much more achievable. Loan/Bridge was insanely good. It doesn't conflict terminals, odds of hitting a bridge on the first go round are pretty good, and the deck things - without action collision potential - making an easy turn of Highway/Highway/Bridge -> buy two highways much quicker in coming.

cherdano

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2012, 07:41:02 pm »
+1

Sorry for necro'ing this thread, but I can't resist posting this neat little game where I got my 5th province at turn 12, based on remake + highways:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/15/game-20120415-163135-42ce1212.html

Obviously I had a bit of shuffle luck, and my opponent didn't play optimally, but it was still fun.

Short version: I opened remake/ambassador, then rushed to get highways, in order to remake
1. copper->wishing wells, then later
2. anything -> more highways, until i had 7, and finally
3. anything -> provinces.

(I also did buy a province with a silver at turn 11, my only treasure left at that point. Expand helped finish off the game, otherwise i would have rebuilt my economy via wishing wells/treasuries to finish of the remaining provinces.)
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.02 seconds with 21 queries.