Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: Renaissance Previews #1: Mountain Village, Priest, Seer, Scholar, Experiment  (Read 73789 times)

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
Re: Renaissance Previews #1: Mountain Village, Priest, Seer, Scholar, Experiment
« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2018, 05:00:37 pm »

Some cards are risky to put in a Golem/Herald deck. That's fine.
You mean Trade Route, Forager and Rats?

And Upgrade, and Junk Dealer. And Masquerade. And Remake. And Forge. Trading Post. Count. Remodel, Replace, Expand, Develop, Stonemason, Zombie Mason, Exorcist, Dismantle. Salvager, Apprentice, Bishop, Trader.

Those too.

*Edit* Oh, Lookout and Small Castle. And Catapult.

And Island. Technically Ambassador also.

i.e. any mandatory trashers.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
Re: Renaissance Previews #1: Mountain Village, Priest, Seer, Scholar, Experiment
« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2018, 05:04:27 pm »

And Upgrade, and Junk Dealer. And Masquerade. And Remake. And Forge. Trading Post. Count. Remodel, Replace, Expand, Develop, Stonemason, Zombie Mason, Exorcist, Dismantle. Salvager, Apprentice, Bishop, Trader.

Those too.

i.e. any mandatory trashers.

And other stuff like Mandarin or Leprechaun.

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2018, 05:16:50 pm »

Priest I haven't been impressed by, yet. It seems like you need a lot in place for its potential to be unleashed; it didn't do much on the boards I've played with it.

I managed a double tac engine where payload was 6 markets, 2 couriers and 2 priests.  I was able to double province and didn't run out of fuel.  I was actually surprised it worked, but it was fun to play.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2018, 05:51:43 pm »
+4

I wonder if Priest was tested with giving Coffers instead.
It was (with +1 Coffers).

vishwathg

• Navigator
  • Respect: +92
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2018, 06:54:33 pm »

Priest I haven't been impressed by, yet. It seems like you need a lot in place for its potential to be unleashed; it didn't do much on the boards I've played with it.

I managed a double tac engine where payload was 6 markets, 2 couriers and 2 priests.  I was able to double province and didn't run out of fuel.  I was actually surprised it worked, but it was fun to play.

What's a Courier?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 25, 2018, 07:01:24 pm »

What's a Courier?

I assume it's supposed to be Courtier.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 25, 2018, 07:36:55 pm »

What's a Courier?

Could also be Messenger, which has a similar name in certain languages.

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 25, 2018, 11:37:24 pm »

What's a Courier?

Could also be Messenger, which has a similar name in certain languages.

Yes, I meant Courtier

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3961
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 26, 2018, 05:20:17 am »

I feel like this Seer has overseen a lot of Experiments.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 26, 2018, 07:58:38 am »

Those too.

OK by merit of which edge case do I get Zombie Mason into a Herald or Golem deck?
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2018, 08:00:17 am »

I feel like this Seer has overseen a lot of Experiments.

Experiments are more successful if you prepare them with a Plan.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #111 on: September 26, 2018, 08:01:02 am »

OK by merit of which edge case do I get Zombie Mason into a Herald or Golem deck?

You have a Lurker in your deck, your Herald or Golem plays it, and you don't want to make any piles smaller by trashing cards from them because otherwise your opponent might 3-pile.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2018, 08:04:49 am »

You have a Lurker in your deck, your Herald or Golem plays it, and you don't want to make any piles smaller by trashing cards from them because otherwise your opponent might 3-pile.

or just Rouge. (that card have failed me so many times #neverattacks)
S

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2018, 08:11:29 am »
+4

Is Rouge another card from Renaissance?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Oyvind

• Golem
  • Respect: +119
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2018, 08:15:55 am »
+5

I was thinking the same. It's probably an attack that never attacks, with a card type of Make-up.

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +640
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2018, 08:31:49 am »

I think Rouge is a drac from Drak Sage.

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +640
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2018, 08:59:54 am »

I like Scholar here.
I mean, I like the way that draw-to-X cards hold out that promise of reigniting your turn after you've done some discarding/trashing. Like I used to dream of Chapelling away dross, then playing Library and pow off you go again. But it's hardly ever worth going for in practice because where are you going to get enough actions from?

Now we have Villagers, so all those dreams can come true.
Recruit a Gold, do some Priest trashing, play a Bandit to replace the Gold, then play Scholar and keep going.

Yes, any draw-to-X would do, but I'm glad we've got one here in the set that introduces Villagers.

cascadestyler

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: cascadestyler
  • Vamos Cuidadanos!
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2018, 12:41:33 pm »
+2

Mountain Village is superb with Messenger. It's probably the best synergy with the "discard your deck" mechanic that I've seen.
"You can't help people being right for the wrong reasons...This fear of finding oneself in bad company is not an expression of political purity; it is an expression of a lack of self-confidence."

- Arthur Koestler

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2018, 01:19:03 pm »

Mountain Village is amazing when played after you play a card that gains you something. I just had a game (vs. a bot) with Magpie and it was really nice to be able to deploy gained Magpies immediately with the Mountain Villages, and I'm sure there's countless other similar situations, especially with the "gain a card costing up to X" cards where Mountain Village will come in really handy.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but Mountain Village + Villa has the potential to be a powerful combo because if you save a Mountain Village until after you buy a Villa, and you have bought card(s) previously, then Villa could be used to get those Mountain Village(s) in play, which could then be used to get all the card(s) you just bought that turn, in play that turn. This is purely theoretical at this moment, as I've not tested it but it seems like it could work, and work really well in some engine games.

Dominion.games username: Jolinar of Malkshur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF_bIjIPAE

(I did not create the Trogdor the Burninator song nor am I associated with its producers in any way.  I just think it sounds cool. :P)

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 27, 2018, 02:39:47 am »
+1

I just realized how good Seer is in a Silver+Gardens deck (a lot better than Scout btw.) And this set has a lot of stuff with +Buy. I am excited ...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 02:40:55 am by King Leon »

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 27, 2018, 05:41:25 am »

Experiment is Actors Troupe for cards I guess, apart from they clog your deck while unused.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 27, 2018, 05:44:08 am »

Has anyone tried Seers and Magpies? I have, but found it wasn't as fast as I had hoped.

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2018, 09:50:05 am »
+5

Maybe someone mentioned this already, but Mountain Village has significant value helping you get through the Page and Peasant lines. It's somewhat luck dependent, of course, but getting to the end of the line with those a shuffle or two earlier than your opponent can be important.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

arishipshape

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: arishipshape
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2018, 02:28:03 pm »
+1

Like if the first thing you thought when you saw Scholar was "ITS PROFESSOR SYCAMORE!"
Words I like: Flourish, Mountebank, Masquerade, Cogitate, Touché, Aerial ace, Tricorn, Shenanigans

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 27, 2018, 08:00:46 pm »
+4

Like if the first thing you thought when you saw Scholar was "ITS PROFESSOR SYCAMORE!"

Nope, I thought, it was Professor Oak. But you are more precise, because Oak is a normal Trainer card (nowadays called ltem card) and thus non-terminal, where Sycamore and Juniper are Supporter cards, which are comparable to terminal actions in the Dominion world.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 08:04:49 pm by King Leon »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.