Archive > Dominion: Renaissance Previews

Renaissance Previews #1: Mountain Village, Priest, Seer, Scholar, Experiment

<< < (28/28)

crj:
Given how many cards are "while this is in play", I'm forced to conclude that Priest was intentionally strengthened. Who knows how many other opportunities there are in Renaissance to play a card twice and/or trash a card that's in play?

What surprises me more is why the wording wasn't "For the rest of this turn, when you trash a card, +$2. Trash a card from your hand." That would be a little more powerful with Sewers, a little weaker when Priest was the last card in your hand, but those feel pretty minor, and I at least find that wording a lot clearer.

I mean, I only had to read Priest twice to get it, even with the current wording, but still...

Minotaur:

--- Quote from: crj on September 30, 2018, 04:01:44 pm ---Given how many cards are "while this is in play", I'm forced to conclude that Priest was intentionally strengthened. Who knows how many other opportunities there are in Renaissance to play a card twice and/or trash a card that's in play?

What surprises me more is why the wording wasn't "For the rest of this turn, when you trash a card, +$2. Trash a card from your hand." That would be a little more powerful with Sewers, a little weaker when Priest was the last card in your hand, but those feel pretty minor, and I at least find that wording a lot clearer.

I mean, I only had to read Priest twice to get it, even with the current wording, but still...

--- End quote ---

DXV just wants his Priest-Sewer board to be the most incorrectly-played game of 2018 printed edition.

Donald X.:

--- Quote from: GendoIkari on September 30, 2018, 03:27:39 pm ---Given the question asked here, which indeed seems like it may be a common source of confusion... is there a reason that Priest isn't simply "While this is play"? Of course it would be weaker when combo'd with Throne Room, Procession, etc... but in most situations it should play the same, and end up just being much simpler wording with less need for tracking.

Asking because other cards moved towards the "while this is play" to help with tracking issues, such as the change from Bridge to Highway.

--- End quote ---
My feeling for some years was that "while this is in play" was better than "this turn," as evidenced by e.g. Bridge Troll not matching Bridge. But, focused on simplicity for Renaissance, I decided that "this turn" was actually the simpler thing. People get tripped up by "while this is in play" in various ways. The card will normally be in play - I don't need to blame new cards for Procession.

If I had anticipated the Sewers question, I would have looked harder at putting the "this turn" ability ahead of the trashing on Priest. It was something I considered, but it seemed simpler to have the +$2 at the top, and well I didn't anticipate the question.

Fuu:

--- Quote from: Chris is me on September 24, 2018, 10:44:58 am ---Scholar is like Professor Oak from Pokémon, which is cute.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: arishipshape on September 27, 2018, 02:28:03 pm ---Like if the first thing you thought when you saw Scholar was "ITS PROFESSOR SYCAMORE!"

--- End quote ---

I just started playing Pokémon online a few days before the preview, so yes this was definitely my first thought, and the name "Scholar" seemed like a nod to this.

Jeebus:
Another card that interacts directly with Sewers: Forager!
You can trash a Copper, then trash a Silver with Sewers before Forager checks the trash. Not going to matter very often, but theoretically.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version