Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A variable copper trasher  (Read 1724 times)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
A variable copper trasher
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:22:06 pm »

I thought of a card today that has both an interesting level of choice and could really give a boost to certain copper-centric strategies.

Investment
$5
+1 action
Trash a copper. If you do, choose one: Gain a silver, putting it into your hand; or gain three coppers, putting them into your hand.

On one hand, it's a weak mine in it's trashing ability, but it has the advantage of +1 action, so it can self-synergize a bit without becoming broken. It also presents the choice of getting +$2 now but weakening your deck or +$1 and strengthening it. Finally, it could really give a boost to copper-centric strategies like counting house and coppersmith. It might even be a bit too strong with coppersmith, but that does require you to have both cards obtained already and only gives four more treasure than the coppersmith would have given originally (if played just once).

I haven't playtested this at all but am very curious to hear your thoughts on it.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
Re: A variable copper trasher
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:27:30 pm »

It sounds terrible in about 80% of games and really good in the 20%  gardens/duke/coppersmith/counting house games

Chriamon

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 09:39:40 pm »

I dunno, I kind of disagree with O, I think this card could be really strong. You could get a large amount of these in your deck, and best case scenario turn a hand of investmentx4 copper into a hand of 3 silvers, with a net gain of trashing one copper and gaining 3 silvers. This could be even better with those "draw your whole deck" style engines as a way to get money density up. However in cases where it is weak it seems really weak. I think this would be an interesting card to playtest, and its also probably better than moneylender, which I think is considered a decent card.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 09:46:45 pm »

and its also probably better than moneylender, which I think is considered a decent card.

I don't think its better than moneylender, as its effectively either +1$ this turn or ruin your deck for the +2$ moneylender provides.

But even if it was better than moneylender, the 5$ kills it. Moneylender is a decent to very good card because it can be bought in the first shuffle, which is when most trading cards are best bought. It also has much less stiff competition at the 4$ level. Now, it's unfair to compare this card to a top 5$, but how frequently would you want this card over an average 5$? 

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 12:19:01 am »

Replacing the Silver with a Gold would make it more viable in non-Big Deck strategies, methinks. As it is, it doesn't compare well to Explorer, which is a bad sign.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 01:35:31 am »

Oops, somehow I failed to notice that a poster just a few topics down had a card named investment. Sorry about that, fringe, no copying intended.

ycz6, I doubt that trashing copper for gold could be at all balanced in a $5 card (not that I'm stuck on that price). Not without seriously changing the idea behind the card. It does seem like it might be weak in comparison with some other cards, but I think that in the situations where it shines, it could really shine. It does always have the safety net of getting a silver and being non-terminal though.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 04:49:02 pm by Dsell »
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.42 seconds with 21 queries.