Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546363 times)

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #6975 on: September 02, 2020, 04:19:02 pm »

Made a few changes here. Just a shot in the dark. Thoughts?

That seems too strong for a little Fish. You can gain it to your hand quickly and then you will often produce a Gold. It looks more like a Shark.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #6976 on: September 02, 2020, 04:43:38 pm »
+2

Here's the updated version based on y'all comments.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 05:03:03 pm by pubby »

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #6977 on: September 02, 2020, 05:24:07 pm »

Boarding House - $2
Action - Looter
+1 Action
+$1
You may play an Action card from your hand.
-
When you gain this, gain a Ruins and shuffle it as well as all Copper you have in play into your deck.

Not sure about the wording or the power level for this. The on-gain effect is only really good early game to help get a $5, but the Ruins don't make it a guarantee and delays your first shuffle. I am thinking of making it shuffle all treasure in play into the deck.

Why "you may play an Action card from your hand" instead of just +2 Actions at the top?

Yeah, I guess that would be simpler. I think that is a hold over from an earlier version of this card when you could trash the action you play off it.

Boarding House - $2
Action - Looter
+2 Actions
+$1
-
When you gain this, gain a Ruins and shuffle it as well as all Copper you have in play into your deck.

So this would make it a bad Fishing Village. Hmm, not sure if I am happy with it. I may try and make the "play an action from your hand" work so if you play a Ruins you are rewarded or change it back so you can trash the action.
This is strictly weaker than Squire (Vineyard is the only edge case that comes to mind). Why would you want a non-drawing splitter that comes with junk and makes the next turns worse via shuffling Coppers back in?
Anything that makes you want extra gains for some reason makes this not strictly weaker. There are probably situations where you want this in Forager or Priest games just for food, although they are rare. I suppose the copper shuffling could also be nice for an overpay Doctor?

I do agree that "worse Squire with a usually bad on-gain" could use strengthening, though.

All valid and welcome criticism. Comparing it to Squire really nailed it. I fiddled around with the design a bit more, and I know the copper shuffle really makes it unappealing, so I went a slightly different direction.

Boarding House - $3
Action - Looter
+1 Buy
+$2
You may play an Action card from your hand. If you do, trash it and get +1 Card, +1 Action.
-

So now it is a Woodcutter+. The on-buy penalty is still present and is mainly there to discourage buying a bunch of them early on. If you play and trash an action it is a pseudo Grand Market, but it will be hungry for new action cards if you want to keep using it as a Grand Market. Not sure if this is too strong. I could probably reduce the money gain on play to $1 and it would be ok. Please let me know what you all think.

Also, I am not too happy with the name. I may change that in the final version, but am lacking inspiration. Recommendations would be welcome.
I’d price it at $4, like all Woodcutter+.
The trash for village thingy is nice and will be used in most games at least during your (anticipated) last turn.

I know even I called it a Woodcutter+, but wouldn't the on-gain effect make it not a strictly better purchase than Woodcutter? Like if both would be in a Kingdom and cost $3, I would not always buy a Boarding House. Is the on-buy effect not detrimental enough to warrant a slightly better Woodcutter at $3?

Marpharos

• Baron
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #6978 on: September 02, 2020, 06:18:41 pm »
+1

Brazier
Action, $3
+1 Buy
+$2
-
When you gain or discard this, you may set aside a Copper from your hand or in play. If you do, at the start of your next turn, play it.

The text might be a bit clunky, but I'm happy with the concept. It's like Baker but can't be used until t2, so you might have:
$3, $5
$4, $4
$5, $3
or
$2, $5

Edit: Rookie mistake, the buy and $ are the wrong way round on the card. It’s a small change and one I might not have time to fix before judging.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 03:14:24 am by Marpharos »

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #6979 on: September 02, 2020, 07:16:38 pm »
+2

Brazier
Action, $3
+$2
+1 Buy
-
When you gain or discard this, you may set aside a Copper from your hand or in play. If you do, at the start of your next turn, play it.

The text might be a bit clunky, but I'm happy with the concept. It's like Baker but can't be used until t2, so you might have:
$3, $5
$4, $4
$5, $3
or
$2, $5
Strictly better than woodcutter
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6980 on: September 02, 2020, 07:30:17 pm »
+3

Remember when Nomad Camp was first revealed and how completely insane it was that openings were no longer just either 5/2 or 4/3?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #6981 on: September 02, 2020, 07:36:55 pm »
+2

Brazier
Action, $3
+$2
+1 Buy
-

$3, $5
$4, $4
$5, $3
or
$2, $5

Woodcutter is removed and terrible. Plus, you need to basically pay extra for the effect.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6982 on: September 02, 2020, 08:01:41 pm »
+2

Brazier
Action, $3
+$2
+1 Buy
-

$3, $5
$4, $4
$5, $3
or
$2, $5

Woodcutter is removed and terrible. Plus, you need to basically pay extra for the effect.
Still, no card should be strictly better than another.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #6983 on: September 02, 2020, 08:41:35 pm »
+2

I don't know if it's just me, but I can't see this image. Can you re-upload it or post a text version please?

chronostrike

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #6984 on: September 02, 2020, 09:03:17 pm »
+3

Glamour - $3
Action - Attack
+$2
Each other player discards a Lure card (or reveals a hand with no Lure cards).
-
Setup: Add an extra Kingdom card pile costing $5 or more to the Supply.  Cards from that pile are Lure cards and cost $1 less during the Buy phase.
This is my reverse Young Witch.  I'm not sure whether it meets the criteria, but it can cause 3/5 or 2/6 splits for one card at a time.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #6985 on: September 02, 2020, 09:59:25 pm »
+1

I don't know if it's just me, but I can't see this image. Can you re-upload it or post a text version please?
Sorry, I think I accidentally deleted it. I'm probably going to come up with an entirely new entry, but here it was:

Fish
$2 Treasure
$1
+2 Cards. Discard 2 cards. If either of them was an Action, +1 Coffer.
-
When you gain this, put it onto your deck.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #6986 on: September 03, 2020, 12:52:29 am »
+2

Brazier
Action, $3
+$2
+1 Buy
-

$3, $5
$4, $4
$5, $3
or
$2, $5

Woodcutter is anything but terrible. It was not removed because it was underpowered but because it was too vanilla.

Woodcutter: Woodcutter is fine, it's totally fine. It's just, the main set had six vanilla cards, and did it need six?
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16338.0

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #6987 on: September 03, 2020, 02:28:24 am »
+2

Brazier
Action, $3
+$2
+1 Buy
-

Still, no card should be strictly better than another.
I disagree with both of you. Woodcutter was fine, just considered too boring. You don't need to pay extra for the effect (because it says "or in play"). And there's nothing wrong with a card being strictly better than a removed card. A removed card is no longer an official card.

PS: For that matter, I also disagree with Donald in removing Woodcutter because there's nothing wrong with it, and now Base has no cheap +buy and too many peddler variants...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 02:31:54 am by LibraryAdventurer »

LordBaphomet

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6988 on: September 03, 2020, 10:23:42 am »
+4

My entry: a Chancellory was where you went to get stuff signed and sealed.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #6989 on: September 03, 2020, 05:15:54 pm »
+2

New entry:

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #6990 on: September 04, 2020, 11:54:45 am »
+4

Ancient Settlement
Action
Cost

+ 2 Actions
+ 1 Buy

« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 11:57:46 am by xyz123 »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6991 on: September 04, 2020, 12:13:57 pm »
+2

New entry:

Develop and Doctor had a love child. Seems too strong though. If I pay 3 in the opening to get rid of 2 Coppers (Bonfire), I am most definitely paying 4 to get rid of 2-3 junk cards.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #6992 on: September 04, 2020, 12:18:59 pm »

New entry:

Develop and Doctor had a love child. Seems too strong though. If I pay 3 in the opening to get rid of 2 Coppers (Bonfire), I am most definitely paying 4 to get rid of 2-3 junk cards.
Is it good if it trashes two? Also, it gets weaker after the first shuffle or two since you don't always get your junk at the top of the deck.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6993 on: September 04, 2020, 12:28:33 pm »
+1

New entry:

Is it good if it trashes two? Also, it gets weaker after the first shuffle or two since you don't always get your junk at the top of the deck.
No idea about how good it would be at 2. But at 3 it is very likely to be overpowered.
That the on-gain effect is weaker after the first shuffle is fairly moot; like with Doctor‘s overpay it mainly matters in the opening.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6994 on: September 04, 2020, 12:51:00 pm »
+1

New entry:

No idea about how good it would be at 2. But at 3 it is very likely to be overpowered.
That the on-gain effect is weaker after the first shuffle is fairly moot; like with Doctor‘s overpay it mainly matters in the opening.

It also gives a huge advantage to opening 4/3 vs opening 3/4.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #6995 on: September 04, 2020, 01:00:34 pm »
+3

Trying to materialise the dreaded impossible "+2 Cards, +" card. This card allows for megaturns, but how much junk can your deck handle?

I'm still hesitant whether this is a or a .
Bottom text

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6996 on: September 04, 2020, 01:29:39 pm »

Trying to materialise the dreaded impossible "+2 Cards, +" card. This card allows for megaturns, but how much junk can your deck handle?

I'm still hesitant whether this is a or a .

To confirm, you didn't intend this to be an action that lets you play it to put it on your Tavern mat?

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6997 on: September 04, 2020, 01:34:30 pm »

The current version is far too weak. The effect is stronger than Expedition but the 2 Coins are unlikely to compensate for a dead card in your deck.
The (seemingly intended?) Action version, which GendoIkari already pointed out, is obviously a $5 or $6.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #6998 on: September 04, 2020, 01:45:54 pm »

Once it's called off your Tavern mat, it's unplayable. It is not an Action card. It probably should cost . Remember that you do not have to call it off your Tavern mat the next turn you buy/gain it. At , you could technically have a Province on Turn 2 on a 3 / 4 opening split, lol.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 01:47:15 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6999 on: September 04, 2020, 01:48:40 pm »

At $3 it is like a mixture of Expedition and Desperation.
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 21 queries.