Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546994 times)

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #6675 on: August 16, 2020, 11:32:46 am »
+4

I'm not really happy with my submission, and because it uses a sort of complex mechanic, I'm not likely to get it to a good point in the time alotted. I am going to be replacing it with this.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 01:10:33 pm by D782802859 »

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #6676 on: August 16, 2020, 12:10:09 pm »

I'm not really happy with my submission, and because it uses a sort of complex mechanic, I'm not likely to get it to a good point in the time alotted. I am going to be replacing it with this.

I like it.
You can get powerful cards, e.g. Goons on turn 1, but with an increased cost. As every player can do it, it doesn't look swingy, in contrast to a $5-2 start with Baker on the board.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #6677 on: August 16, 2020, 12:14:45 pm »

You gotta phrase this as "costing less in Coins than".
I think that a difference of 1 is too small. I'd roll with 2.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #6678 on: August 16, 2020, 06:32:08 pm »
+3

Cull - Action - $4
Choose to reveal any number of cards from your deck. If they are all uniquely named, put them in your hand. If they are not, discard them all.
-
When you gain this, you may trash your hand.

Cull has unbounded draw. How much are you willing to gamble on having uniques? Get too greedy and you draw nothing. You can usually reveal 2 cards and it's safe. 3 if you've built a deck that has lots of uniques. Then you always have the on gain benefit. You open it on 4/3 you're happy to trash the estate, the the 5/2 is still happy to open and trash that copper since it really gets in the way of having unique cards to draw. A player can choose to reveal their whole deck to (likely) put it in the discard.

To clarify, you choose how many cards to reveal before revealing any. Like "I will reveal 3 cards" and then you reveal them all.

I anticipate some people not liking the gain clause. The way I see it, is some games you buy it just for the trashing, just like in many games you buy mint for the trashing. The best way to use it's trashing, from Cull's perspective, is to draw high and have lots of copper in hand so you can trash them.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 06:40:15 pm by anordinaryman »

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #6679 on: August 16, 2020, 07:32:04 pm »
+2

mail-mi posted this card on this forum a while back. Seems awfully similar.

D782802859

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6680 on: August 16, 2020, 07:37:33 pm »

It's a coincidence. The good ideas have all been thought of already.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6681 on: August 16, 2020, 07:40:41 pm »
+1

Well, it is better worded and it has the correct spread of 2.

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6682 on: August 16, 2020, 08:31:14 pm »
+1

Edit: My new submission:

I like this concept a ton, but there's a bunch of issues with it.

There's a precedent for phrasing things that have specific vanilla bonuses. "Actions with +$ amounts in their text." So you should make this "Reveal any number of Action Cards with + Card amounts in their text."

However, your card is difficult to play. You reveal them... are they still in your hand? What if you reveal a throne room, can you throne room the card you already revealed  and thus play it three times (once from the Accountant, etc.) Look to another card for inspiration how to solve this problem: Golem. You should have this card set cards aside from your hand, so that it is clear that they are not in your hand anymore.

Those are two issues, but there's the bigger one with this being able to play cantrips. The solution to this is to simply have this card not be able to play cantrips. My change would be this:

Accountant - Action - $4
+2 Cards
Reveal and set Aside any number of Action cards from your hand without + Action amounts in their text. Play the set aside cards in any order.

Price, I am unsure about. At the very least this has the Cultist chaining ability. But it doesn't give ruins but is more versatile. I think 4-5 could be right. Probably 4 as it's a little difficult to use right.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6683 on: August 16, 2020, 09:23:13 pm »
+1

There's a precedent for phrasing things that have specific vanilla bonuses. "Actions with +$ amounts in their text." So you should make this "Reveal any number of Action Cards with + Card amounts in their text."

However, your card is difficult to play. You reveal them... are they still in your hand? What if you reveal a throne room, can you throne room the card you already revealed  and thus play it three times (once from the Accountant, etc.) Look to another card for inspiration how to solve this problem: Golem. You should have this card set cards aside from your hand, so that it is clear that they are not in your hand anymore.

Those are two issues, but there's the bigger one with this being able to play cantrips. The solution to this is to simply have this card not be able to play cantrips. My change would be this:

Accountant - Action - $4
+2 Cards
Reveal and set Aside any number of Action cards from your hand without + Action amounts in their text. Play the set aside cards in any order.

Price, I am unsure about. At the very least this has the Cultist chaining ability. But it doesn't give ruins but is more versatile. I think 4-5 could be right. Probably 4 as it's a little difficult to use right.

I agree that "set aside" solves the main issue. I don't quite understand why it's a problem if it can play cantrips though? But you may have missed that it can only play cards that draw 2 or more cards; so it couldn't play Village, for example. But it could play Laboratory.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6684 on: August 16, 2020, 11:34:55 pm »

Accountant - Action - $4
+2 Cards

I agree that "set aside" solves the main issue. I don't quite understand why it's a problem if it can play cantrips though? But you may have missed that it can only play cards that draw 2 or more cards; so it couldn't play Village, for example. But it could play Laboratory.

I did miss the 2 or more cards for X thing.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #6685 on: August 17, 2020, 01:54:46 am »
+1

Cull - Action - $4
Choose to reveal any number of cards from your deck. If they are all uniquely named, put them in your hand. If they are not, discard them all.
-
When you gain this, you may trash your hand.
Neat, but probably broken with Patron/Tunnel.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

artless

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6686 on: August 17, 2020, 06:14:59 am »
+1

Foundation (Landmark)

Set up: Each player secretly chooses a number.
---
When scoring: Score 5VP if your chosen number is closest to the number of cards in your deck.

We don't have a landmark yet.
Here comes one.

JimJammer

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6687 on: August 17, 2020, 06:22:48 am »

Here's my fix to the card I was previously calling Crypt(I've changed the name because there is already a card with that name).

The new card is also quite a bit weaker,  which I think fixes the swinginess problem.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6688 on: August 17, 2020, 11:47:19 am »

Accountant - Action - $4
+2 Cards

I did miss the 2 or more cards for X thing.

Thanks for your feedback!
Some clarifications about how the card is intended to work: As you might have seen in my post where I have submitted the card, I had several versions, which basically differ in their power level and costs. chronostrike correctly pointed out that +X card (X is any number) allows playing cantrips, which could be too strong. So, with the suggestions of chronostrike and segura about power level and card costs in mind, I decided to go for the less powerful (+X Cards in text), cheaper ($4) version. This should be more balanced and also more interesting in terms of game play strategies.

With respect to the wording about revealing and setting aside:
The instructions (as given) boil down to “Reveal some cards….play them…” with some text in between about the details what can be revealed. I indeed looked at Golem; it doesn’t set cards aside, although here it is less problematic as the cards are revealed from the deck and not from the hand.
However, the actual “in between” state of the revealed cards before they are played (main problem: are they still part of the hand?) can indeed become problematic in some cases (e.g. with Scholar). So, I think you and GendoIkari are right: The most unambiguous way is to include “set aside” in the text of Accountant and so I will do.

Whatever wording is used, I cannot imagine a case where a Throne Room can be revealed with (any version of) Accountant. So, that shouldn’t be a problem.
Also, there are only a few cards that draw 2+ cards and also give +Actions. I see no problem with that either.

For anyone interested:
Any version of Accountant I presented ensures that there is at least one target in any possible Kingdom (i.e. Accountant itself).
I roughly/quickly* counted the number of cards with “+X Cards” (X >1) in their text. There are 64/354 = 18%. That means that ~80% of possible Kingdoms have, besides Accountant, at least 1 target card (with “+X Cards” in text). There are 139/354 = 39% cards with “+X Card” (X = any number) in their text. Here, ~97% of possible Kingdoms have, besides Accountant, at least one such card.

* I do not claim that the numbers are exact. I didn’t look into the details of split-piles, Exchange cards such as Travelers, non-Kingdom Supply piles etc. and I only counted once.

As a side note. some cards have the “+X Cards” in their text, but only as an option (e.g. Steward). Of course, you can play them via Accountant, but you do not have to choose that option. Some Duration cards get the “+X cards” in their next turn (e.g. Haunted Woods). Again, you can play them. Cavalry has “+2 Cards” in its text; you can play it, although this is an on-gain instruction. You do not get +2 Cards, but you gain 2 Horses here as per instructions.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #6689 on: August 17, 2020, 01:46:07 pm »
+2

Statute (Action, $4)

+1 Action

Pick any number. Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. If the total cost (in coins) of the revealed cards matches the number you picked, put the revealed cards into your hand. Otherwise, put one of the revealed cards into your hand and discard the rest.

No idea if this is the right price for the card. Might be too good for $4.

D782802859

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6690 on: August 17, 2020, 02:01:39 pm »
+1

Statute (Action, $4)

+1 Action

Pick any number. Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. If the total cost (in coins) of the revealed cards matches the number you picked, put the revealed cards into your hand. Otherwise, put one of the revealed cards into your hand and discard the rest.

This is pretty busted since it's good even if you don't guess correctly. You can guess correctly pretty consistently with thinning too.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6691 on: August 17, 2020, 02:33:27 pm »

Statute (Action, $4)

+1 Action

This is pretty busted since it's good even if you don't guess correctly. You can guess correctly pretty consistently with thinning too.
How can you guess "consistently"? Even if you only have 3 different costed cards in your deck (for example Statue as $4 for draw, some $5s for trashing/junking/whatever and Gold for payload), it is anything but obvious or clear that you can guess correctly most of the time.
At the first glance, Menagerie seems much easier to pull off.

D782802859

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6692 on: August 17, 2020, 02:49:12 pm »
+1

Statute (Action, $4)

+1 Action

How can you guess "consistently"? Even if you only have 3 different costed cards in your deck (for example Statue as $4 for draw, some $5s for trashing/junking/whatever and Gold for payload), it is anything but obvious or clear that you can guess correctly most of the time.
The problem isn't the payoff. It's the failcase. The non-activated effect is strong enough to be bought on its own, compared to Cartographer at 5.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6693 on: August 17, 2020, 03:16:06 pm »

Border Guard with Lantern for $4 does not impress me.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #6694 on: August 17, 2020, 03:51:01 pm »
+1

Bankrupt Smithy
cost $5 - Action
+2 Coffers
Remove any number of tokens from your Coffers, and draw that many.

I'd honestly add "+1 Card" as a vanilla bonus, so that it acts like a proper Smithy when you spend the Coffers immediately. Right now, it's kinda week for a $5 cost, whereas +2 Coffers would make it iffy for a $4 cost.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6695 on: August 17, 2020, 04:50:17 pm »

Statute (Action, $4)

+1 Action

The problem isn't the payoff. It's the failcase. The non-activated effect is strong enough to be bought on its own, compared to Cartographer at 5.

I think it makes much more sense to compare this to Forum... when this fails, it is is strictly worse than Forum, and by a good bit.

One problem with how this card fits into the contest is that "choose a number" would be a much more natural wording for the effect than "pick any number".
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 04:52:10 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6696 on: August 17, 2020, 05:01:59 pm »

Statute (Action, $4)

+1 Action

I think it should be also compared with Advisor. There, the player gets 2 out of 3 cards, but usually not the best one. Since there is a potential jackpot with Statute, the fail case could be weakened, e.g. "Otherwise put the first revealed card into your hand." One can think now whether the other 2 revealed cards are discarded (easier for balancing the card), or whether they go back to the deck, which allows a second Statute played thereafter to be more successful (seems to be more interesting game-play wise).

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6697 on: August 17, 2020, 05:15:04 pm »

Statute (Action, $4)

+1 Action

I think it should be also compared with Advisor. There, the player gets 2 out of 3 cards, but usually not the best one.
You could argue that Border Guard with Lantern is the "inverse" of Advisor, i.e. you get the best out of 3.

I don't think that this gets us anywhere though. The card is either Borderguard with Lantern or it is a DoubleLab, i.e. it either sifts or draws. My guess is that it is a $3.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6698 on: August 17, 2020, 05:19:57 pm »

Statute (Action, $4)

+1 Action

I think it makes much more sense to compare this to Forum... when this fails, it is is strictly worse than Forum, and by a good bit.

One problem with how this card fits into the contest is that "choose a number" would be a much more natural wording for the effect than "pick any number".
To compare Statute with Forum is even better than comparing it with Advisor (I wrote my post at the same time as you did, but it took too long).
Out of curiosity (I am not a native English speaker), is there any relevant difference between pick/choose a/any number (in any combination)?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 05:22:13 pm by gambit05 »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6699 on: August 17, 2020, 05:23:56 pm »

Forum sifts from hand, Statue untriggered aka Borderguard+Lantern sifts from deck.
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 21 queries.