Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546374 times)

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #6525 on: August 04, 2020, 04:29:06 pm »
+1

I think this could get away with costing $6 (or $7 but certainly not $8) as it is unable to chain which is arguably the strongest part of King's Court.
Royal Carriage costs more than Throne Room. The situation is the same here, except that this costs more than King's Court. That's the benchmark I'll base my pricing on.

But the comparison is very different, because King's Courting a King's Court nets you an extra play of King's Court (as compared to just playing them both separately) whereas Throne Rooming a Throne Room does not net you an extra play of Throne Room. So losing that functionality when going from Throne Room to Royal Carriage isn't a huge loss, but losing the analogous functionality when going from King's Court to Master Plan is a pretty significant loss (in exchange for the Royal Carriage-like flexibility).

If both KC and Master Plan cost $7 and they were both on the board, I'd probably take one Master Plan for consistency but otherwise take King's Courts. So $7 seems like a fair price, and $6 might even be reasonable.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #6526 on: August 04, 2020, 04:59:24 pm »

I think this could get away with costing $6 (or $7 but certainly not $8) as it is unable to chain which is arguably the strongest part of King's Court.
Royal Carriage costs more than Throne Room. The situation is the same here, except that this costs more than King's Court. That's the benchmark I'll base my pricing on.
Well, I disagree. KC-KC is so much better than TR-TR that it is anything but clear that the Royal Carriage > TR notion holds when applied to KC.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #6527 on: August 04, 2020, 05:16:29 pm »

Hmmm. I see you guys’ point. It seems that what Master Plan brings in reliability, it loses in combo with itself. Okay, that tradeoff is enough for me to lower the price. I will edit my entry post later.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 05:57:33 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #6528 on: August 04, 2020, 05:18:54 pm »
+2

My first entry ever in this Design Contest thread:

What is Big:
- How often The Round Table can play a card.
- The cost of The Round Table.
- The penalty when the opponents gain Wishes.
- The table in the artwork.

Why Debt:
- To avoid that The Round Table is a target for other cards (after cost reduction), especially Wishes and Emulators (e.g. Overlord).
- Everyone can afford The Round Table, i.e. no one gets a big advantage when they hit a high $ price point much earlier than others.

Why “up to”:
Gives more flexibility on how often a target card can be played. 

Rules:
- Choose how often you want to play the target card before you play it, i.e. in practice, right after you moved it from your hand to the playing area, and before you start following its instructions.
- Each other player gains a Wish after the player finished playing a card a third time, and another Wish after the player finished playing it the fourth time.

Tracking: A suggestion for tracking how often a card is played by The Round Table is to add 1 token to the targeted card for each time it is played (those tokens have no other purpose in the game and are removed when the card leaves play). This is especially helpful when multiple The Round Tables and Duration cards are involved.

It seems that there are some big Throne Room variants presented already.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #6529 on: August 04, 2020, 09:10:14 pm »

Would sinister plot count for this contest?
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #6530 on: August 04, 2020, 11:24:53 pm »

Would sinister plot count for this contest?
Hmm. It would count, but it doesn't feel very big, so it probably wouldn't do that well. But you can do something that uses a similar mechanic, yes.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #6531 on: August 05, 2020, 01:24:25 am »
+1

A Cornucopia Woodcutter which I have used for some time. Seems crazy at first, but surprisingly it rarely yields more than 3 Coins. But in the right circumstances (Black Market or Villa are obvious combos), it can become huge.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #6532 on: August 05, 2020, 02:21:49 am »
+4

Investor - 16D
Action

Lose 3D. Gain a card costing up to the amount of D you have in $.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #6533 on: August 05, 2020, 02:29:00 am »

Assuming this fits with the theme this week, here's my submission:

Bank Teller
Action - $5
Play up to 3 Treasures from your hand. Then pay all of your $ and +1 Coffers per $1 you paid.
-
At the start of Clean-up, take per Treasure in play and then you may pay off .

This is probably horribly broken, but I thought Storyteller was a good basis for a card becoming big. And obviously this is the theme for 'teller cards...
Absolutely no playtesting involved with this one, and seeing as this can go big with either Coffers or Debt I'm inclined to leave it as long as it fits the competition this week. I used Storyteller and Capital to figure out the wordings of these, so should be good!
Not commenting on how good this is, but there is no reason for it to have a dividing line.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #6534 on: August 05, 2020, 08:37:08 am »

Maybe too crazy/situational:
Name: Committee
Types: Action, Command
Cost: $5
Turn your Journey token over (it starts face up). Then if it's face up, the player to your left chooses a non-Command action card in the supply for you to play 5 times, leaving it there.
This could quickly get horrible with forced trashers, maybe the player playing it should be able to name a card to exclude?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #6535 on: August 05, 2020, 09:01:33 am »
+2

The design of the card is already such that it will be garbage on a lot of kingdoms. For example, suppose there is counting house. Or Workshop without good support. Or Beggar. I don't think anything changes fundamentally if you can exclude one card.

Being garbage on a lot of kingdoms isn't a property that means the card isn't good for the game. It just means it'll be a card that's rarely used but (perhaps) sometimes very strong. There are some official cards that are like that.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #6536 on: August 05, 2020, 11:06:17 am »
+1

I believe, gaining 5 Coppers qualifies as Big Number.

Fountain of Tears
$4D3 - Action
Gain up to 5 Coppers into your hand.

You can grab this as early as in the first two turns trying to rush Provinces, but the slow down effect of Coppers is severe enough to make this strategy not very feasible.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #6537 on: August 05, 2020, 11:34:06 am »
+1

I believe, gaining 5 Coppers qualifies as Big Number.

Fountain of Tears
$4D3 - Action
Gain up to 5 Coppers into your hand.

You can grab this as early as in the first two turns trying to rush Provinces, but the slow down effect of Coppers is severe enough to make this strategy not very feasible.
Gardens would like to say hi. :)
Bottom text

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6538 on: August 05, 2020, 02:34:48 pm »

Business loan
9 Debt - Event
+ 5$
Spend any amount of $ to gain exactly two cards together costing up to the amount spent.

Please let me know if this has any rules issues. I think that you can spend $ even if you have debt, but you cannot buy cards. I also don't like the wording that much.

This is no longer my entry. Here is my new one:

Depot
5$ - Action-Reaction
+1 Action
Do this five times:
Discard a card; draw up to 5 cards
-
When you discard this other than during cleanup you may reveal it for +1 Coffers

New version later in the thread
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 02:26:28 am by Jonatan Djurachkovitch »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6539 on: August 05, 2020, 02:43:37 pm »

Business loan
9 Debt - Event
+ 5$
Spend any amount of $ to gain exactly two cards together costing up to the amount spent.

Please let me know if this has any rules issues. I think that you can spend $ even if you have debt, but you cannot buy cards. I also don't like the wording that much.

This is no longer my entry. Here is my new one:

Depot
5$ - Action-Reaction
+1 Action
Do this five times:
-
When you discard this other than during cleanup you may reveal it for +1 Coffers

Interesting, but I'm worried it will be too long/tedious to resolve. Every time you play the card you have 5 different decisions to make.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #6540 on: August 05, 2020, 02:44:49 pm »

Depot
5$ - Action-Reaction
+1 Action
Do this five times:
-
Fun idea but it's a little too strong. If your discard pile is empty and you have two Depots in hand, you can play one and repeatedly discard the other one to get +5 Coffers. Besides that, it still may be too strong compared to say, library or cursed village.

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6541 on: August 05, 2020, 02:54:30 pm »

Depot
5$ - Action-Reaction
+1 Action
Do this five times:
-
Fun idea but it's a little too strong. If your discard pile is empty and you have two Depots in hand, you can play one and repeatedly discard the other one to get +5 Coffers. Besides that, it still may be too strong compared to say, library or cursed village.
This is really hard to get to, because you have to have played or trashed enough cards to have drawed your deck and still have 5 or less cards in hand. But you're right, it is very strong, I think that I will increase the cost to 6 or remove the +1 Action.
Interesting, but I'm worried it will be too long/tedious to resolve. Every time you play the card you have 5 different decisions to make.
You're right. I will also accomodate for this in my new version. Thank you for your feedback!

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6542 on: August 05, 2020, 03:09:39 pm »

draw up to 5 cards

What does this mean? Draw until 5 in hand or draw 0-5 cards (I guess the first one)?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6543 on: August 05, 2020, 03:54:05 pm »

draw up to 5 cards

What does this mean? Draw until 5 in hand or draw 0-5 cards (I guess the first one)?

Funny I didn't notice this before; but the standard wording is "draw until you have 5 cards in hand". Maybe to avoid this potential ambiguity.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #6544 on: August 05, 2020, 03:59:46 pm »
+2

draw up to 5 cards

I'll give Jonatan the benefit of the doubt and say they didn't submit something that can draw 25 cards.

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6545 on: August 05, 2020, 04:04:41 pm »
+1

draw up to 5 cards

I'll give Jonatan the benefit of the doubt and say they didn't submit something that can draw 25 cards.

Haha, I didn't notice that either. Well, new version up soon  :P

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6546 on: August 05, 2020, 04:08:55 pm »

Funny I didn't notice this before; but the standard wording is "draw until you have 5 cards in hand". Maybe to avoid this potential ambiguity.

Me too, and I didn't want to sound harsh, but "up to" is a quite common phrase in Dominion terminology and, as you pointed out, can have a totally different outcome.

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6547 on: August 05, 2020, 04:17:13 pm »
+2

Here's the new version! Hopefully everything is fixed. It cycles through a lot of cards, which is good for tournament or treasure map, but hopefully it is balanced and fun. It doesn't work in big drawing engines with treasure payload, but in engines with lots of stop cards it can be powerful.

Depot
5$ - Action-Reaction
Do this three times:
Discard two cards; draw until you have 5 cards in hand.
-
When you discard this other than in clean-up you may set it aside. If you do: +2 Coffers and discard it during clean-up

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6548 on: August 05, 2020, 04:33:36 pm »

Here's the new version! Hopefully everything is fixed. It cycles through a lot of cards, which is good for tournament or treasure map, but hopefully it is balanced and fun. It doesn't work in big drawing engines with treasure payload, but in engines with lots of stop cards it can be powerful.

Depot
5$ - Action-Reaction
Do this three times:
Discard two cards; draw until you have 5 cards in hand.
-
When you discard this other than in clean-up you may set it aside. If you do: +2 Coffers and discard it during clean-up
and discard it during clean-up
I don't want to be too nit-picky, but is this last part necessary (or does it even make sense)?
Edit: Forgot to say, that this looks much better than the previous version.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 04:35:25 pm by gambit05 »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6549 on: August 05, 2020, 04:36:54 pm »
+1

and discard it during clean-up
I don't want to be too nit-picky, but is this last part necessary (or does it even make sense)?

It is necessary... set-aside cards aren't discarded by default.

Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.