Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547884 times)

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5800 on: May 27, 2020, 10:16:29 pm »
+1

2 entries left to judge....
Cowrie and Meat/Salt.

Gods, I will always provide text of my cards as well as images in the future I promise.

I may be a little late on this.

somekindoftony

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5801 on: May 28, 2020, 10:42:12 am »
+2

mandioca15

Credit Note (Treasure, $5)

+$2
+1 Buy
---
While this is in play, when you buy a card, +1 Credit.

Credit tokens are essentially like coffers. During your turn, you may return N credit tokens to the supply, to gain a card from the supply costing exactly $N. You can do this whenever you are not resolving a played card. The longer you let your Credits build up,the bigger the potential reward - but don't wait too long! For example, suppose you have built up 6 Credit tokens. You could return 4 to the supply to gain a Smithy, or return 6 to gain a Gold. There's also the question of when exactly during your turn you should gain the card - maybe you can time it to get the card you really want at exactly the right time.

Note that you can't return 0 Credit tokens to the supply to gain a card, so you can't use that to empty the Coppers pile (or things like Wayfarer or Destrier, if they cost 0).

Gaining a card via Credits does not count as a buy.

Might be too strong when compared to the similar Merchant Guild (which takes an action and only generates $1). Credits are both more flexible than coffers because they gain cards without using buys and less because they can’t be combined with coffers or standard coin or used in any way other than to gain cards. On balance I’d say they are weaker than coffers so the card as a whole is probably fairly costed.
I am left wondering though if there just isn’t too much complexity for the gain here. Also thematically I was hoping things like Credit Notes would be avoided

Fragasnap

Kitsune
Types: Action, Doom
Cost: $3
+1 Card, +1 Action. You may discard the top Hex. If you do, choose one: Trash this and a card from your hand; or +1 Buy and +$2 and receive that Hex.

Aburaage
Types: Treasure
Cost: $5
This is worth $1 for each type among the cards you have in play (Action, Attack, etc.).

I really like this. Thematically it’s novel. Mechanically it’s interesting. Is it balanced? That’s tricky. Kitsune might be a bit strong but my focus has to be on Aburaage for this competition.  Here I think it’s fair. It could be worth $1 or it could be worth more than $3. It’s kingdom dependant and that’s not a bad thing. So balance, flavour and interesting mechanics, well done. I could see this spawning Aburaage decks that would be fun to play and play against.

Mr. Hitech

Divine Favor (Treasure, cost $6+)
$2
-
When you buy this, gain a Wish from its pile. You may also overpay $1 for this, to put the gained Wish on top of your deck.

Nice and simple while still giving me choice. The flavour makes sense and while I was hoping for more concrete objects like fish heads, Divine Favor works conceptually too. Balance is a possible problem because you are basically paying 6 for a silver and a card costing 6 (or less) with the bonus of avoiding things like embargoes and tax on that second card and with the benefit of having a big chunky card in Divine Favour you can trash for gain. Also wishes grant incredible flexibility when used.
So would you ever buy that 6 cost card normally? Yes, if you really didn’t want the bonus “silver” clogging up an engine or it was a duchy you wanted and the game might end before you draw your wish or other rare scenarios.
All in all a solid effort but I have reservations about whether it is a must buy over gold in too many scenarios.

mad4math

Cow
$5 - Treasure
Worth $2
When you discard this from play during Clean-up, if you haven't bought any Victory cards this turn, you may put this on top of the deck.

This reminds me of Stash. A consistent silver is not bad but if I hit 5 I like the gooey feeling of gaining something generally better. I know its design laziness to do so but I think sticking a +Buy on this would make it more viable. Or if Port could give you two villages for 4 maybe this card could give you two for one as well. I like the theme.

Xtra

Meat/Salt

Meat Cost:$3 Treasure
When you play this, once a turn; remove a Spoilage token if you have any or take 4 of them if you don’t. This is worth $1 per Spoilage token you have.

Salt Cost: $2 Treasure
$2
When you play this you cannot remove your spoilage tokens this turn. You can still take them.

This is a fun pair of cards. I just don’t like how you gain Spoilage tokens out of thin air just because you have none though. It has to happen for the card to be useful but thematically… well thematically it’s no worse than a whole bunch of dominion cards I guess… but it grates on me.
I feel like a great idea is here and needs further refinement.  Perhaps a better plan would be have the Meat cost 4 minus the number of spoilage tokens you have (and you start with none) and then playing a meat gains you one and playing a salt removes one.
The core of the idea – of a treasure that ebbs and flows in value - is really cool. It reminds me a little of all those Gathering cards which are fun to play with.

Something_Smart

SHAMAN Cost 5 Action
+2 Cards, +1 Action, Discard a card.
-
At the start of clean up , if this is in play and there are no cards you have more than one copy of in play , trash this and gain a Mystic Stone

MYSTIC STONE
Cost  5* Treasure - Victory
$2 Set aside a card from your hand face-down on your Mystic Stone mat
_
Worth 1VP per 2 differently named cards on your Mystic Stone Mat.

My real doubts about this is whether it is overpriced. Its not too hard to get a Mystic stone as I can forgo two turns (one buying the Shaman and one playing the Shaman and only one treasure) to pick the Mystic Stone up. For a good enough prize forgoing two turns is ok. Its about what an Overlord costs early game.
But the Mystic stone is not going to be worth it if all I remove are estates, coppers and curses and the odd silver. And if I remove other better cards I will be hurting myself. I also do wish you had changed it to Exile. I didn’t feel I should say anything during the competition but it would clear up the confusion about whether cards on the Mystic stone count towards victory at the end (as curses or provinces for example). I get from your comments they do. Also it would give me other ways to put cards towards its value without having to draw them with my Mystic Stone first.
Nice to see a bit of druidic flavour too.

D782802859
Cowrie Cost
$2 Put this on your Tavern mat.
____
At the start of your buy phase you may call this for +2 cards then you may put a card from your hand on top of your deck.

I really like this. Its novel and it retaught me a word I had forgotten. Also I think it really rises to the challenge of the treasure that costs 4 and makes $2. (which is only slightly less difficult than the challenge of designing a new treasure that costs 3 and makes $2). You need to make something that isn’t a silver but is remarkably close to silver because in dominion the difference between a 3 card and 4 card is minimal. Did you do it? Or did you fly too close to the sun, young Icarus?
I think you did it. I don’t want a Cowrie more than I want a silver in every buy that I have 4. If I am drawing my deck anyway I would rather have a silver.  I do want a Cowrie slightly more – enough to land it nicely in 4? I think so.
To put it succintly an action less +2 cards is probably a $5 cost once you factor in that it happens in your buy phase on a turn you didn’t draw it and the whole reshuffle thing. And an actionless $2 is a silver at $3. So given this can alternate between the two its just right at 4.

Carline

TROPICAL FRUITS • Cost:4 • Treasure
$1
Choose one:
+1 Coffers; or
+1 Villager.

FRUIT MIX • Cost: 6 • Treasure
When you play this, it's worth $1 per different named treasure you have in play (including this).
If it's worth at least $4:
+2 Buys.

It’s a split pile with 5 Tropical Fruits over 5 Fruit Mix.

Two card submission (both treasures) is a risky strategy because one could drag the other down. I don’t think that’s the case here as both are good and despite all the discussion both are well balanced in my book.
Something about Tropical Fruits niggles at me though. Perhaps it is just that I really like the way it can gain a villager which is so novel for a treasure and I feel like that novelty is almost let down by being able to gain a coffer instead.
Overall though I like both of these cards and the synergy between them is great too. I think you found the right price point for Fruit Mix.

mail-mi
Livestock Cost 5 Treasure
+2 Cards
You may play an Action from your hand.

What a fun challenge you’ve given me to evaluate this card. You could draw two actions or an action that simply gives you more actions you can’t use (because its now your buy phase) so there is a chance it will be a dud but mostly its going to be a very effective way to fix a kingdom with a lack of + actions or even just draw past junk. I’m leaning towards considering this too strong but then because its strength is as an enabler of other cards it might not be such a problem that it’s too strong. After all this card alone isn’t going to win you anything and on a board with Witch if I start 5-2 I will probably still want to get a Witch before a Livestock.
I want to applaud its boldness but I also find myself worried. I think the decent bonus of playing an action its just too good for the cost especially with cards that can set up your deck.

[TP] Inferno

Trash Heap
$5
Treasure
$2
Gain a Scrap Metal.
-------
While this is in play, cards cost $1 less, but not less than $0.

Scrap Metal
$0*
Action
+1 Card
+1 Buy
Return this to its pile.
(This is not in the Supply.)

You know I would have found this so much easier to judge if you had made Trash Heap cost 6 and Scrap Metal was a straight up cantrip with a +Action as well. As it is I don’t know if I want a Scrap metal. Maybe I still do, especially given its synergy with Trash heap but aside from big money decks I probably don’t want to spend an action in this way.
Ah but that’s good isn’t it because Trash Heap only costs 5 so maybe Scrap metal is actually a drawback to stop players from going all mass Market, Forager, Trash heap for the win. Is it a drawback though? Is it a big enough one?
So my real question is, why do you hate me?
Seriously I’m going to give this a double thumbs up because if I have to think this hard while judging then I’ll have to do the same in a game which is fun.
Honestly very well balanced.

Swan - Treasure, $0* cost.
$2
When you next buy a non-Victory card this turn, exchange this for a copy of the bought card.

And 2 gainers:

Swannery - Project, $5 cost.
When you shuffle to make a new deck, first gain a Swan.

Swanherd - Action, $5 cost.
Gain a Swan. You may trash a card from your hand, then +1 Card per card you've trashed this turn.

I really like the Swan mechanic and love the theme. It is necessary to consider both Swannery and Swanherd in order to properly evaluate Swan though and that isn’t easy. A Swan is at my best quess worth between $4 and $5 if I bought it outright from the supply. But that guess is based on a lot of assumptions. I can envisage times when a swan is played and nets you nothing more than a second village for your trouble. Or is no more than a silver that turn.
With that in mind I turn to the gainers . If you dont have access to it before your first shuffle Swannery won’t always be worth investing in later but I think that’s alright for projects. If you can thin your deck it becomes much better. The problem is that it probably gives people with a 5-2 start too much of an advantage – even if all their first swan gains them is a village. Because Swans don’t require actions they can even be drawn into by smithys which also increases your number of shuffles. If only there was an elegant way of preventing its super early purchase. Maybe when you buy the project you also gain an estate?
Swanherd on the other hand almost feels overpriced but probably only because it reminds me of Priest. It’s probably good at 5.
Definitely a great effort.

spineflu

Bee • $0 • Treasure
Choose one:
Cards cost $1 less this turn;
or +1 Buy.
-
Setup: Remove the top 3 cards of the Coppers Supply pile per player; replace them with as many Bees.

When a card tells you to gain a Copper, gain a Bee instead if it is available in the Supply.

Given that Bee is being used as slang for a coin I am not sure this stays inside the challenges parameters but I like the card enough to consider it as if they were actual bees (which are delicacies in some cultures).
I like the way you could try and buy up all the bees for a bee strategy and I like how this leaves you with a choice about how to play each one. Ultimately though I don’t see bees being bought unless there are other +buys on the board, not because they are too weak for their cost but because you generally don’t want more 0 cost cards at all. Its therefore good you gave players other ways to gain them (with Count comes to mind).
I’m honestly torn about this. On one hand a great little game changer but often I fear it will lay there untouched. A worthy contender that I would slip into the right kingdoms.

alionme

Seeds Cost $4 Treasure

Trash this. If you did, gain an Action card costing differently from any card you have in play. You may discard a Treasure card from your hand, to put the gained card on top of your deck.

There’s a lot to like here. The mechanic fits the theme elegantly but I’m concerned this is still too strong. It does have a nice fix though to prevent it being a regular investment through something like workshop gaining seeds to become whatever, as gradually it will be able to gain nothing at all. My concern is those high costing actions including ones with potion costs or debt which now become easy to gain but you could argue this card is no different from Lurker in that regard.   
Ultimately this idea is going to suffer this week from my very subjective dislike of Lurker’s work around high card costs.   

stechafle

$? Wool $?
Worth $4 if no other player has Wool in play. Otherwise worth $2.
At the start of your next turn, +2 Cards, and put a card from your hand onto your deck.
$5 Treasure Duration

Dominion can lack interactivity. I enjoy cards that bring more into the game by obliging me to watch what you buy and change what I buy accordingly. I guess there’s still the question whether I need to nerf your Wool with my own or whether that costs me as much as it costs you. Great questions to grapple with in a game. Nothing like hearing your opponent groan based on your purchase. The more I ponder this card the more I find it surprisingly well costed too. A lot of balancing going on.
The flavour connection is a little thin but I get it. There’s scope here for a whole Settlers of Catan themed expansion.

Wool, Cowrie and Trash heap/Scrap Metal are my super close top three. And that's from a group of amazing cards.

Literally because I have to pick one I choose Cowrie by the thinnest of hairs.

BlueHairedMeerkat

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5802 on: May 28, 2020, 11:41:17 am »
+1

Rai Stone's not my favourite submission, but I'd hoped it would at least get judged  :P

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #5803 on: May 28, 2020, 12:45:35 pm »
+1

somekindoftony: Cow was mine :)
I like you Port idea for fixing the Cow. I was considering a different fix to make it more attractive for engines, but was too lazy/busy to submit it in time.
Cow
$5 - Treasure
Worth $2
You may exchange this for a cheaper card.
When you discard this from play during Clean-up, if you haven't bought any Victory cards this turn, you may put this on top of the deck.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 12:52:31 pm by grep »

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #5804 on: May 28, 2020, 01:10:02 pm »

Rai Stone's not my favourite submission, but I'd hoped it would at least get judged  :P

Also there's no comment about Rice Bag by majiponi.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5805 on: May 28, 2020, 01:33:30 pm »

Cow
$5 - Treasure
Worth $2

This solution which you thought about could give you Prizes, Wishes, Madmen, Horses, cards of Travellers line and other non-supply cards. I don't know, maybe it's not according to the intention of these cards being non-supply.

I think that's why cards that use exchange mechanism only do it exchanging for nominated cards.

grep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5806 on: May 28, 2020, 02:24:45 pm »

Cow
$5 - Treasure
Worth $2

This solution which you thought about could give you Prizes, Wishes, Madmen, Horses, cards of Travellers line and other non-supply cards. I don't know, maybe it's not according to the intention of these cards being non-supply.

I think that's why cards that use exchange mechanism only do it exchanging for nominated cards.
I meant "from the supply". As there is no precedent of exchanging for an arbitrary card, that should be specified explicitly.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #5807 on: May 28, 2020, 03:01:02 pm »
+2

Thanks for the win, somekindoftony. THere were a lot of good ideas this week.
Challenge # 75: Spice of Life
Design a card that uses one of the Menagerie exclusive mechanic, those being Ways, Exile, and Horses, as well as another set exclusive mechanic, those being ones that have only appeared in their original sets.
Edit: Alternate costs, as in Animal Fair, a Snowy Village type "ignore" effect, the Black Cat ability that only works on other player's turns and "now or at the start of your next turn" duration cards would be fine too.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 04:36:57 pm by D782802859 »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5808 on: May 28, 2020, 03:14:16 pm »

Design a card that uses one of the Menagerie exclusive mechanic, those being Ways, Exile, and Horses, as well as another set exclusive mechanic, those being ones that have only appeared in their original sets.

can we use the "things stop working" menagerie exclusive mechanic (from Snowy Village) as the menagerie mechanic?

D782802859

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5809 on: May 28, 2020, 03:18:43 pm »
+1

can we use the "things stop working" menagerie exclusive mechanic (from Snowy Village) as the menagerie mechanic?
I think that would be OK, since it isn't on any other cards. The Black Cat ability that only works on other player's turns and "now or at the start of your next turn" duration cards would be fine too.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1424
    • View Profile
« Reply #5810 on: May 28, 2020, 03:19:16 pm »

Non–static costs is also a theme in Menagerie.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5811 on: May 28, 2020, 03:21:47 pm »

yeah but that's not exclusive

grep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5812 on: May 28, 2020, 03:30:58 pm »

Way of the Magpie
Discard a card. Gain a Spoils.

Keeping it super simple - Ways + Spoils from Dark Ages
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 03:33:32 pm by grep »

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5813 on: May 28, 2020, 04:02:29 pm »

As far as I can remember, alternate cost (Animal Fair) is exclusive, isn't?

D782802859

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5814 on: May 28, 2020, 04:06:38 pm »
+2

Some types of alternate cost, Fisherman and Destrier, aren't exclusive, while some, Wayfinder and Animal Fair, are. Peddler and Overpay cards also have variable cards that increase and decrease by fixed amounts, and cost reducers apply it to other cards. Cost increase and decrease are not exclusive, but Animal Fair style cost variations are.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5815 on: May 28, 2020, 04:32:14 pm »

Some types of alternate cost, Fisherman and Destrier, aren't exclusive, while some, Wayfinder and Animal Fair, are. Peddler and Overpay cards also have variable cards that increase and decrease by fixed amounts, and cost reducers apply it to other cards. Cost increase and decrease are not exclusive, but Animal Fair style cost variations are.

I think we can call "alternate cost" in a strict sense only the case of Animal Fair in which you have two different ways to pay for the card. The other cases I think are more "variable costs".

D782802859

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5816 on: May 28, 2020, 04:34:43 pm »

I think we can call "alternate cost" in a strict sense only the case of Animal Fair in which you have two different ways to pay for the card. The other cases I think are more "variable costs".
Yeah, they don't function the same.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1424
    • View Profile
« Reply #5817 on: May 28, 2020, 05:12:57 pm »

Animal Fair is most definitely about playing with costs. Whether it is about a secondary cost or reducing the variable seems trivial. But like Ways the card is also about doing other stuff with Actions. Menagerie basically has the best defenses against Looters.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 05:14:37 pm by segura »

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5818 on: May 28, 2020, 05:37:40 pm »

Animal Fair is most definitely about playing with costs. Whether it is about a secondary cost or reducing the variable seems trivial. But like Ways the card is also about doing other stuff with Actions. Menagerie basically has the best defenses against Looters.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20260.0

Donald X. in the topic above:

"Animal Fair: The premise was the alternate cost"

I think "alternate cost" there is what you are calling "secondary cost" here. So it's not a trivial difference, it's in the essence of the card.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #5819 on: May 28, 2020, 05:37:58 pm »

Way of the Chipmunk (Way)

+1 Buy
+1 Villager

Turn your spare Action cards into Buys, or stock up on Villagers if you need them.

(Ways from Menagerie, Villagers from Renaissance)

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #5820 on: May 28, 2020, 05:47:42 pm »

This may be crazy:
Way of the Hedgehog
Choose one: put this on your Tavern mat and +1 Action; or play a non-Reserve Action on your Tavern mat (which can't follow a Way), and if you did return this to your hand.

Your Actions can hibernate in the Tavern until their optimal time, and you only need to have an Action in hand to call them off (only not 'call' them). They're literally put in reserve, so the Tavern mat is the one to use for this effect over Exile, cleanly avoiding all the Exile interactions. Reserve combos, I think it's just Distant Lands and Teacher, and I'll let those slip by.

+1 Action on the move to the mat, or no +1 Action? That is my current question. It's not clever too often to terminally put an Action in reserve, but trashers you're done with, Ruins, terminal draw at a bad time... Adventures tokens working twice too, on the reserving and the call off (the Way use limitation is there to stop infinite Hedgehog-ing for infinite token boosts).
Overall the cases for keeping it there are strong enough, and these mentioned combos are safe in the light of some mousey and chameleonic combos we already have.

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: May 28, 2020, 06:50:13 pm »

[TP] Inferno

Trash Heap
$5
Treasure
$2
Gain a Scrap Metal.
-------
While this is in play, cards cost $1 less, but not less than $0.

Scrap Metal
$0*
Action
+1 Card
+1 Buy
Return this to its pile.

You know I would have found this so much easier to judge if you had made Trash Heap cost 6 and Scrap Metal was a straight up cantrip with a +Action as well. As it is I don’t know if I want a Scrap metal. Maybe I still do, especially given its synergy with Trash heap but aside from big money decks I probably don’t want to spend an action in this way.
Ah but that’s good isn’t it because Trash Heap only costs 5 so maybe Scrap metal is actually a drawback to stop players from going all mass Market, Forager, Trash heap for the win. Is it a drawback though? Is it a big enough one?
So my real question is, why do you hate me?
Seriously I’m going to give this a double thumbs up because if I have to think this hard while judging then I’ll have to do the same in a game which is fun.
Honestly very well balanced.

Wool, Cowrie and Trash heap/Scrap Metal are my super close top three. And that's from a group of amazing cards.

Literally because I have to pick one I choose Cowrie by the thinnest of hairs.

So close, but yet so far... congrats anyway to D782802859, though!

Also, I totally actually messed up with making Scrap Metal an Action. I did mean to make it a cantrip Action after all, but I just forgot. Oops. But I didn't expect it to turn out well, that was... unexpected. Cool!

So as for the next challenge, here is my entry:

Horse Market
$3+
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
You may play an Action card from your hand that you don't have a copy of in play.
-------
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $1 you overpaid, gain a Horse.

It's a cheaper Workers Village if you can play an Action with it. Horses work well with it, you will, barring edge cases, always be able to play one with it. And when you do, you get +3 Cards, +2 Actions, +1 Buy spread over 2 cards. And even if there are no Horse gainers, this gives you a source of them using its overpay function. As always, feedback is welcome.
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

somekindoftony

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5822 on: May 28, 2020, 06:54:02 pm »
+1

Also there's no comment about Rice Bag by majiponi.

Oh crap bum.
So sorry. I tried to be super careful not to miss anyone or judge an earlier entry.  Feel bad.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5823 on: May 28, 2020, 07:19:08 pm »

Edit: Alternate costs, as in Animal Fair, a Snowy Village type "ignore" effect, the Black Cat ability that only works on other player's turns and "now or at the start of your next turn" duration cards would be fine too.

Black Cat ability weren't antecipated by Caravan Guard?

D782802859

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: May 28, 2020, 07:24:44 pm »

Black Cat ability weren't antecipated by Caravan Guard?
I'm not referring to the self-playing, I'm referring to the clause "If it isn't your turn".
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.