Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546311 times)

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5375 on: April 18, 2020, 01:12:28 pm »
+3

A simple trasher and terminal draw combo, that costs more if you want to trash your treasures, with an added dash of player interaction. Harder to grab as your main draw, so it's really more of a utility car for thinning. Three might be too many, but an outtake version of Chapel trashed only up to three and was much slower, so it should be balanced.
Edit: Card effect changed, it is now this.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 03:15:33 pm by D782802859 »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5376 on: April 18, 2020, 04:49:57 pm »
+2

Merry Men • $5* • Action - Attack
Each other player gets +4 Cards and divides their hand into 2 piles, face down; You choose a pile for each player to discard and the other pile goes back to their hand.

When drawing a new hand at the end of your turn, +2 Cards.
-
This costs $1 per card in your hand at the start of your turn.
FAQ:
• each other player can look at the contents of their piles at any time prior to announcing their dividing is done;
• Piles do not have to be evenly split;
• Cards discarded in a pile are not considered discarded from your hand;
• Deciding the price on this card is a lowercase-e event that can happen before or after other "at the start of your turn" events like tavern mat calling, hireling, etc;
• I tried to balance unambiguity with not needing to bust out the reading glasses but just to be clear, you don't get to tell Player B to discard Player A's pile - there is no card swapping between players that occurs with this.

Secret History:
Was thinking about "you cut / I choose" gameplay, then about this week's challenge, and had a reese's peanut butter cup moment.
Originally had this at '+2 Cards' instead of way-of-squirrel but figured this made it more interesting/was a better counter to itself. Font size stayed roughly the same either way so i went with the more exotic option.
The name on this came from the mini bluffing game you get to do as part of it, which reminded me of the bluffing in "Sheriff of Nottingham"; thus, "Merry Men".

Also gave me an excuse to bust out the sharpies and doodle up the art (it can't be worse than shanty town, right?).

e.g. on your 4th turn it costs $4.

My immediate reaction to this card:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 05:48:10 pm by spineflu »

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #5377 on: April 19, 2020, 10:17:38 am »
+1

Might I suggest a counter to help keep track? It could look something like this:
Boomtown — ($1*) (Victory)
Sum the total cost of your deck. Worth 1 VP per $20 (round down).
-
At the start of each of the first player’s turns, put a token on the Boomtown pile. This costs $1 more per token token on its pile.
Yeah I considered doing that originally, but man it's hard to get a good wording without A) being overly long B) having the right semantics. It has to work when the first player takes multiple turns, and also it has to work when other token types (tax, embargo) are placed on its pile.

Anyway I edited it with a new version that tries to be as concise as possible. Let me know if it's confusing.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #5378 on: April 19, 2020, 03:49:50 pm »

A simple trasher and terminal draw combo, that costs more if you want to trash your treasures, with an added dash of player interaction. Harder to grab as your main draw, so it's really more of a utility car for thinning. Three might be too many, but an outtake version of Chapel trashed only up to three and was much slower, so it should be balanced.

It only costs more after you've trashed your first Coppers. So if you open with it and your opponent doesn't, you'll gladly trash three Coppers the first time you draw it, increasing the cost to $7. That's harsh for your opponent whenever it's the only good trasher on the board...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 03:51:56 pm by Holger »

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #5379 on: April 19, 2020, 04:09:07 pm »
+1

e.g. on your 4th turn it costs $4.

My immediate reaction to this card:

;D ;D But don't tell that to the French, for them 4*20+7 IS a number   ;)

I agree that the VPs are quite hard to calculate IRL, especially with the Boomtowns boosting themselves.  What about:

"Worth 1 VP per 10 VPs you have from any non-Boomtown sources (rounded down), but not less than 0 VP."

This essentially gives "interest" on your other VPs, and since you have to count those anyway at the end of the game, there's no extra math necessary for this card. (Too bad that the card names "Bank" and "Capitalism" are already in use...)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #5380 on: April 19, 2020, 04:09:45 pm »

It only costs more after you've trashed your first Coppers. So if you open with it and your opponent doesn't, you'll gladly trash three Coppers the first time you draw it, increasing the cost to $7. That's harsh for your opponent whenever it's the only good trasher on the board...
If it is the only good trasher (and how is "trash up to 3 cards" not likely the best trasher on the board?) he would deserve to lose even without the second shuffle increase.
You could argue that the card is boring as it hard to get more than one copy, or that the first player has a higher chance to get a second copy ... but then again if you have two Smithy/Chapels in your deck after the second shuffle that could easily backfire.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5381 on: April 19, 2020, 04:21:21 pm »
+1

I first tried some Enclave style event with Silver love, but it leads to boring strategies (trash down to 5 Silvers, only buy Provinces):
Event - $13*
Exile a Province from the Supply. This cost $1 less per Silver in play.

As did not work out, I lazily submit an old one:

Barbarossa41

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: Barbarossa41
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #5382 on: April 19, 2020, 07:14:47 pm »

I first tried some Enclave style event with Silver love, but it leads to boring strategies (trash down to 5 Silvers, only buy Provinces):
Event - $13*

Does Treasure/Victory Mean a card with at least one type, or a card with both types?

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #5383 on: April 19, 2020, 07:30:22 pm »

Event - $13*

Does Treasure/Victory Mean a card with at least one type, or a card with both types?
I'd assume either type, otherwise only Harem and maybe the Castles(Humble Castle) pile would work.
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5384 on: April 19, 2020, 08:29:31 pm »

Event - $13*

you might wanna revise the wording on the cost to $1 per differently named Treasure or Victory pile in the supply, otherwise this gets expensive in Castles games

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5385 on: April 19, 2020, 08:35:15 pm »

Event - $13*

Read / as and. So at least one type.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #5386 on: April 19, 2020, 09:13:45 pm »

Tulip
Treasure - $11*
Worth $1
When you play this, you may gain a card costing up to $1 more than this. If you did, return this to its pile when it leaves play.
-
This costs $1 less per Tulip remaining in the supply
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 08:32:35 pm by NoMoreFun »

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #5387 on: April 20, 2020, 11:02:24 am »
+2

Is a treasure-duration impossible? UPGRADED VERSION ADDED BELOW but I might have missed the cut off. :(

I figure the cost reduction rewards early greening and compensates for being cursed or ruined a little by making all those junk cards still worth an effective $1.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 10:08:25 am by somekindoftony »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5388 on: April 20, 2020, 11:49:52 am »
+1

Is a treasure-duration impossible?

There's nothing wrong with a treasure-duration rules-wise. Donald said that he has avoided making one because there are too many ways to remove treasures from play, which causes tracking issues.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5389 on: April 20, 2020, 12:09:26 pm »
+2

I figure the cost reduction rewards early greening and compensates for being cursed or ruined a little by making all those junk cards still worth an effective $1.
I like the idea but it is bonkers in 5/2 and very likely broken.

As you can always open with it, and always buy it in the absence of handsize attacks, I'd nerf it down to 3 Coins. I am pretty sure that this will win by itself otherwise in a boring money strategy.
It could even be broken with 3 Coins; being able to buy a delayed Gold every turn sounds strong as well.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 02:13:58 pm by segura »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5390 on: April 20, 2020, 12:24:09 pm »

There's nothing wrong with a treasure-duration rules-wise. Donald said that he has avoided making one because there are too many ways to remove treasures from play, which causes tracking issues.
You could actually solve those for this specific card by adding a "if this is still in play" clause to the next turn portion

Barbarossa41

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: Barbarossa41
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #5391 on: April 20, 2020, 06:13:21 pm »

Investments  $2
Action-Duration-Reserve
Put this on your Tavern Mat.
-------------------------------
At the start of each turn this is on your Tavern mat, +1 Coffers.
At the end of your Buy phase, if you have less $ than copies of this on your Tavern Mat, Exile all copies of this from your Tavern Mat.
-------------------------------
This costs $1 more per copy of this in Exile.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5392 on: April 21, 2020, 12:46:29 pm »

I don't know. If you want to use it consistently (and otherwise it does not seem to be worthwhile except for the last turn) it is Coin-> Coffers.
Plaza does the same job for a bargain and without delay.

arishipshape

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: arishipshape
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #5393 on: April 21, 2020, 02:58:21 pm »
+2

This is the first time I've ever participated in one of these contests, so please excuse any mistakes I make thanks to my noobness. Anyways, here's my idea. Probably needs some tweaks but I think it's interesting.

EDIT: changed the card.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 03:26:15 pm by arishipshape »
Words I like: Flourish, Mountebank, Masquerade, Cogitate, Touché, Aerial ace, Tricorn, Shenanigans

FlyerBeast

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: FlyerBeast
  • Wide and Torturous
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #5394 on: April 21, 2020, 03:11:11 pm »

This is the first time I've ever participated in one of these contests, so please excuse any mistakes I make thanks to my noobness. Anyways, here's my idea. Probably needs some tweaks but I think it's interesting.

Welcome! I'd say the card looks pretty balanced, at least compared to Experiment. Gets confusing with Procession but hey, plenty of real cards do too.
(You can put coin symbols into card text with the $ symbol by the way... unless the plan was for '1 coin' to mean Coffers, in which case, woah)

arishipshape

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: arishipshape
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #5395 on: April 21, 2020, 03:25:58 pm »

Welcome! I'd say the card looks pretty balanced, at least compared to Experiment. Gets confusing with Procession but hey, plenty of real cards do too.
(You can put coin symbols into card text with the $ symbol by the way... unless the plan was for '1 coin' to mean Coffers, in which case, woah)
Thanks for the kind welcome, and the tip! I had a better idea for this card, which I've now updated the original post to reflect.
Words I like: Flourish, Mountebank, Masquerade, Cogitate, Touché, Aerial ace, Tricorn, Shenanigans

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #5396 on: April 21, 2020, 03:51:14 pm »

EDIT: changed the card.
This adds a good amount of strategic nuance, and elegantly solves the double lab problem. I like it.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #5397 on: April 21, 2020, 11:26:57 pm »

Metalsmith - Action - $3*
Trash a card you have in play or a Treasure from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $1 more per unique card in the trash.
-
This costs $1 more per unique card in the trash.

I wanted to make a card that got stronger as its price increased. Pairing that with a remodeler variant worked well. As you play a Metalsmith, it is in play, so you can self-trash it. You can even think of it like a Feast, although, this is Dominion, there are a ton of scenarios in which Feast is better at doing that, still. Trashing cards in play is a bit exotic-- You can trash your night durations if you want, even. It does not do well clearing out Victory Cards or Curses. And it can only trash ruins if you have the spare actions to play the ruin first. So, it plays differently than other remodels for sure: Metalsmith is all about improving cards. It's quite possible to super charge this so that it costs $7 and can turn itself into a Colony. But along the way you'll have to trash quite a bit (at the bare minimum: a copper, a silver or an action card, a different action card, *and* itself). And you've open up the flood gates for your opponents to do the same.

Another interesting fact, the card becomes more powerful later in the game, but later in the game it's liable to cost a lot more. Are you willing to pay $5 for something that just remodels? Hard to justify that. Therefore there's a tension between investing in this earlier or waiting and paying high.

I'm open to feedback!

Secret History:
Pricing the concept of a strengthening remodeler was difficult. For example, if I made it simply "Trash a card from your hand, gain a card costing up to $1 more ..." then there's no good way to price it. If I price it at 4, then it's simply far too weak when compared to remodel. And if I price it at a 3 it becomes easier to get a lot of and power up to a cheap expand that still costs 6 when it's as powerful as expand. I don't like that there could be a card in the supply that acted as an Expand and cost 1 less. So I had to create a way to slightly change it.
I tried adding benefits to opponents but then the card text got very wordy and there didn't seem like a good thematic benefit to give opponents. An earlier version of the card tried to be way stronger than remodel and allowed self-trashing. I played with that a bit and realized I could have fun with trashing any card that's in play. Now we got to this.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #5398 on: April 22, 2020, 01:15:11 am »
+1

Metalsmith - Action - $3*
Trash a card you have in play or a Treasure from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $1 more per unique card in the trash.
-
This costs $1 more per unique card in the trash.

I wanted to make a card that got stronger as its price increased. Pairing that with a remodeler variant worked well. As you play a Metalsmith, it is in play, so you can self-trash it. You can even think of it like a Feast, although, this is Dominion, there are a ton of scenarios in which Feast is better at doing that, still. Trashing cards in play is a bit exotic-- You can trash your night durations if you want, even. It does not do well clearing out Victory Cards or Curses. And it can only trash ruins if you have the spare actions to play the ruin first. So, it plays differently than other remodels for sure: Metalsmith is all about improving cards. It's quite possible to super charge this so that it costs $7 and can turn itself into a Colony. But along the way you'll have to trash quite a bit (at the bare minimum: a copper, a silver or an action card, a different action card, *and* itself). And you've open up the flood gates for your opponents to do the same.

Another interesting fact, the card becomes more powerful later in the game, but later in the game it's liable to cost a lot more. Are you willing to pay $5 for something that just remodels? Hard to justify that. Therefore there's a tension between investing in this earlier or waiting and paying high.

I'm open to feedback!

Secret History:
Pricing the concept of a strengthening remodeler was difficult. For example, if I made it simply "Trash a card from your hand, gain a card costing up to $1 more ..." then there's no good way to price it. If I price it at 4, then it's simply far too weak when compared to remodel. And if I price it at a 3 it becomes easier to get a lot of and power up to a cheap expand that still costs 6 when it's as powerful as expand. I don't like that there could be a card in the supply that acted as an Expand and cost 1 less. So I had to create a way to slightly change it.
I tried adding benefits to opponents but then the card text got very wordy and there didn't seem like a good thematic benefit to give opponents. An earlier version of the card tried to be way stronger than remodel and allowed self-trashing. I played with that a bit and realized I could have fun with trashing any card that's in play. Now we got to this.

Does unique mean "differently named", or cards in the trash with only one copy?
Also it has a similar wording problem to Artificer, but it's a bit more of a problem as gaining multiple cards costing $1 more than what you trash is a more common scenario than gaining a bunch of Poor Houses. Not sure how to resolve it.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #5399 on: April 22, 2020, 02:46:50 am »
+1

Archipelago
$6* - Victory
3VP
When you buy this, Exile a Treasure card from play, and you can Exile a Victory card from hand.
(This costs $2 less if you have no Coppers in Exile)
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.