Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547033 times)

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5300 on: April 09, 2020, 01:36:58 pm »
+2

EDIT: This nom has been replaced. See post #5315.

Play a non-Command Action card from the supply costing up to $4, leaving it there. If the card's text has amounts of...
... +Cards, gain a Horse
... +Actions, +1 Action
... +Buys, gain a Will-o-Wisp
... +$, +1 Buy
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 05:26:53 am by grrgrrgrr »

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #5301 on: April 09, 2020, 05:02:07 pm »
+2

Caver
Types: Action
Cost: $2
+2 Cards. If your deck is empty, +$2.
I love the simplicity here and think it's a perfect $2 card to play in an engine. BUT... there's a problem. This card is too good if drawn on turn 4. Getting +2 cards and +$2 on turn 4 can be a strong advantage on certain boards and I believe this overshadows Caver's use elsewhere. Maybe +2 Actions instead of +$2 would work better? That would be similar to Shanty Town in terms of power.
Giving it a non-draw benefit substitutes one issue for another.  The current version chancing into the ~$6 effect of "+2 Cards and +$2" on turn 4 is a big problem, but a version that allows every one of them to be played as "+2 Actions and +$2" so long your deck is randomly empty is a problem its own.  I think this would work better as "+1 Card, +2 Actions; If your deck is empty, +$2" at a cost of $4.
Thanks for judging, this is exactly as expected. It's helped me think of a fix though, 'when you gain this, discard the top card of your deck'. If you gain it mid Action phase it could help trigger a later Caver, so it's not entirely inelegant.

My entry:
Courier - Action Reaction, $4 cost.
+2 Cards
You may play an Action that costs more than this from your hand.
-
Directly after resolving an Action that costs less than this on your turn, you may play this from your hand.
I could have called this climber, but that felt a bit cheeky after the last contest's nice entry. This is not based on it, purely off my own ideas. I really hope this is balanced at $4, as that's the price it really wants to be.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #5302 on: April 09, 2020, 05:46:22 pm »
+4

Bridle Craftsman - $4 - Action
+2 Cards

If you have played a Horse this turn, +1 Action. Otherwise, gain a Horse.

I'm back to this contest, with an uncharacteristically simple card that has no player interaction. How unlike me!

My attempt to make a super simple horse card. One of those 4s that become better when you buy multiple of them. It's probably most interesting to analyze when there aren't other horse gaining cards on the table, which, given how large Dominion is, is pretty likely. With only a non-terminal gaining one horse at a time, it might be hard to get enough to turn your Bridle Craftsmans into labs. But, eventually you'll amass enough horses that you can activate them. Horses at the end of a shuffle become tricky ... what if you hold onto this horse at the hope of activating your Bridle Craftsmans next shuffle? Etc.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5303 on: April 09, 2020, 05:52:02 pm »
+1

Bridle Craftsman - $4 - Action
+2 Cards

If you have played a Horse this turn, +1 Action. Otherwise, gain a Horse.

I'm back to this contest, with an uncharacteristically simple card that has no player interaction. How unlike me!

My attempt to make a super simple horse card. One of those 4s that become better when you buy multiple of them. It's probably most interesting to analyze when there aren't other horse gaining cards on the table, which, given how large Dominion is, is pretty likely. With only a non-terminal gaining one horse at a time, it might be hard to get enough to turn your Bridle Craftsmans into labs. But, eventually you'll amass enough horses that you can activate them. Horses at the end of a shuffle become tricky ... what if you hold onto this horse at the hope of activating your Bridle Craftsmans next shuffle? Etc.

I dunno about balance, etc, but I love this design.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #5304 on: April 09, 2020, 06:11:30 pm »
+6

My entry this challenge also involves Horses. Let's see if this dog does better than last week's:

Dalmatian
Action - Reaction $3

Gain 2 Horses. You may play a Horse from your hand.
-
When another player plays a Horse, you may discard this to gain a Horse to your hand.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #5305 on: April 09, 2020, 07:08:28 pm »
+4

Trying a simplified version of a card I posted a while ago in here.

Had to specify non-Command because with 2 Highways in play, this can empty the Captain pile or its own pile.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 07:17:15 pm by mail-mi »
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #5306 on: April 09, 2020, 08:26:36 pm »
+2

Tally by LibraryAdventurer
Dunno if this was intended, but the strategy here is to use it every turn and keep your coppers out of your deck. If you open with a +Buy card on turn 1, you can do this every turn beginning on turn 2 and build extremely quickly from there. I think it's stronger than chapel, and maybe beats donate on some boards because you keep your buying power while simultaneously thinning. It's kinda cool for that reason and I'd love to play a few games with it, but I can't select it for being so powerful. P.S. I did the math and this+travelling fair alone drains provinces in 9 turns while also buying a duchy and estate.
Wow, really?  (not sarcastic)
We've used this several times and always treated as a consolation buy when we ended up with only 2 or 3 coin with nothing worth buying at that cost, or later with an extra buy and a few coins left over after half my coppers are trashed (which is exactly what it's meant for). I actually find it hard to believe it can empty provinces in 9 turns with Travelling Fair. Maybe it'd work better if it said "up to 3 coppers"?
T1: play some coppers, buy Tally
T2: play 7 coppers, buy 2x Travelling Fair, Tally, 2x Copper.
T3: play 9 coppers, buy 3x Travelling Fair, Tally, 3x Copper.
T4: play 12 coppers, buy 5x Travelling Fair, Tally, 5x Copper.
T5: play 17 coppers, buy 3x Travelling Fair, Tally, Province, 2x Copper.
T6: play 19 coppers, buy 4x Travelling Fair, Tally, Province, 3x Copper.
T7: play 22 coppers, buy 6x Travelling Fair, Tally, Province, 5x Copper.
T8: play 27 coppers, buy 4x Travelling Fair, Tally, 2x Province, 2x Copper.
T9: play 29 coppers, buy 2x Travelling Fair, 3x Province.

If you have 4 or 5 T1 and get lucky with your T2 hand (ie have an Estate on the bottom of your deck) then you can buy an extra Copper T1 and an extra Copper T2, and you get the Duchy and Estate pubby mentions.
How did I never see that?  Anyway, it can be fixed easily by saying "up to 3 coppers".

My entry for this week:
(which is the other one I was considering entering for last week. I may have entered this one at some point before, but I don't think I have for one of these weekly contests at least.)

Mysterious Door
- Action
The player to your left discards the bottom card of their deck. If it's an action card, play it, leaving it there. Otherwise if it's... a victory card, +2 Cards; anything else, +$2.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5307 on: April 09, 2020, 09:20:46 pm »
+1

Beachcomber • @5 • Action
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck and put them in your hand. If there were no Treasures, Actions, or Nights revealed, +1 Action.

Smithy/Vagrant variant that turns superlab when you dud. Gets around the -1 Card token but v0v, i'm not super worried about it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 09:22:03 pm by spineflu »

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #5308 on: April 09, 2020, 11:06:15 pm »

Fool's Laboratory
cost $2 - Action
+2 Cards
If you don't have another copy of this in play, +1 Action.

Would this be better with Crossroads or Fool's Gold wording, "if this is the first time you played Fool's Laboratory this turn"? Or are you intentionally making it stronger when combo'd with Throne Room, Band of Misfits, Way of the Mouse, etc?
Yes. Intentional.

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #5309 on: April 10, 2020, 02:01:36 am »
+9

Outlaw
$5
Action
+3 Cards
You may discard 3 cards. If you do, +1 Action.

It's a Smithy that can optionally be a Warehouse instead. Let me know if balance issues arise.
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #5310 on: April 10, 2020, 07:16:36 am »
+7

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #5311 on: April 10, 2020, 09:54:15 am »
+3

Ironworker, the filterer that's sometimes a Lab, sometimes a Smithy, and sometimes a Silk Merchant. Originally it gave you +$2 for treasures but that's too easy of a condition for Big Money to get for a very strong benefit. If you get a card that's a mix of the three types, then hurrah, you can get more than one of the bonuses. It also once let you et all three easy because it only took one discard out of four, that's clearly broken. Then it took two but still revealed four, and I didn't want this to be a superlab too often. Now you can normally only get one bonus, and maybe it's too strong on actions because you get a somewhat better lab, but sometimes that's hard to line up and you can't pay those actions this turn. It's also strong on mixed type cards (and with capitalism) but I'm fine with that because it isn't common.

Rhodos

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Card Master
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5312 on: April 10, 2020, 07:09:52 pm »
+1

Trying a simplified version of a card I posted a while ago in here.

Had to specify non-Command because with 2 Highways in play, this can empty the Captain pile or its own pile.

Damn, this is pretty close to the idea I had.

But luckily I have another idea and I could not decide which one to take. Now that makes it easier :D

Anyway, cool card!

Barbarossa41

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: Barbarossa41
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #5313 on: April 11, 2020, 05:22:15 am »

Suggestion for wording simplification:
Play a non-Command card costing up to $4 from the Supply.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #5314 on: April 11, 2020, 05:25:43 am »
+2

Newer, simplified version of my nom.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5315 on: April 11, 2020, 09:14:28 am »

that doesn't gain the card tho and is only worth like.. $5.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5316 on: April 11, 2020, 11:01:58 am »
+1

It would put the card into your play area though, which would then presumably get discarded along with everything else and end up in your deck. The only difference is the alternate wording doesn't trigger when-gain effects
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #5317 on: April 11, 2020, 11:03:41 am »
+2

It would put the card into your play area though, which would then presumably get discarded along with everything else and end up in your deck. The only difference is the alternate wording doesn't trigger when-gain effects

which would likely make it more confusing than it is now. So I think I'll keep the "gain...play" wording, but thanks for the suggestions!
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #5318 on: April 11, 2020, 03:19:17 pm »
+3

My submission

Angry Mob
$5 - Action - Attack
+$2
Each other player gains a Curse into hand, and if they did, discards a card. If anyone of them discards a Curse, +1 Action

Update: Made discard conditional to avoid pinning - thanks NoMoreFun

Old version:

« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 01:09:08 am by grep »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #5319 on: April 11, 2020, 06:39:42 pm »
+2

My submission

Angry Mob
$5 - Action - Attack
+$2
Each other player gains a Curse into their hand and then discards a card. If anyone of them discards a Curse, +1 Action

This is a great design, but it currently has pin potential once the Curse pile runs out. You could either make the discard conditional on gaining the curse, or have the attack/discard only affect people with a certain number of cards in hand.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #5320 on: April 12, 2020, 12:51:20 am »

My submission

Angry Mob
$5 - Action - Attack
+$2
Each other player gains a Curse into their hand and then discards a card. If anyone of them discards a Curse, +1 Action

This is a great design, but it currently has pin potential once the Curse pile runs out. You could either make the discard conditional on gaining the curse, or have the attack/discard only affect people with a certain number of cards in hand.
Good point. I will make discard conditional of gaining the Curse

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #5321 on: April 12, 2020, 02:42:29 am »
+2

Here is an upgraded version of my previous card. You can buy a treasure yourself if this card is in your hand for a free play of it in your next turn. There's a sort of tension in that Prospectors are like Peddlers most useful for building treasure-less decks but you need someone to buy treasures to benefit from the non-terminal version of Prospector.
I am leaning towards thinking that "buy" is a necessary hobbling rather than simply "gain" but gain would open up a lot of possibilities... so open to thinking about it.

Oh poo. It should say set this aside from your hand. I'll fix it soon.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 02:45:50 am by somekindoftony »

Optimal_Inefficiency

• Swindler
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5322 on: April 12, 2020, 06:11:38 am »
+1

This submission has been rescinded.
The new card is posted later in the thread.

Sexton — ($4)(Action)
Look through your discard pile. Choose one: trash exactly 2 cards from your discard pile; or +1 Action and put a card from your discard pile into your hand.

Trasher or very nice cantrip, your choice. The only times (I can think of) this card would not be valuable would be if your discard pile is empty; or if there is just a Curse and a Province in the discard pile; or if the only Action/Treasure in the discard is another Sexton or a Harbinger. Would the card be better & equally balanced by starting with “Discard a card from your deck.”?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 03:59:10 pm by Optimal_Inefficiency »

Rhodos

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Card Master
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5323 on: April 12, 2020, 07:01:08 am »

Here is an upgraded version of my previous card. You can buy a treasure yourself if this card is in your hand for a free play of it in your next turn. There's a sort of tension in that Prospectors are like Peddlers most useful for building treasure-less decks but you need someone to buy treasures to benefit from the non-terminal version of Prospector.
I am leaning towards thinking that "buy" is a necessary hobbling rather than simply "gain" but gain would open up a lot of possibilities... so open to thinking about it.

I guess you should also say that you reveal the card, before you set it aside.

mad4math

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: madd4math
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #5324 on: April 12, 2020, 07:55:57 am »

Sexton

Sexton — ($4)(Action)
Look through your discard pile. Choose one: trash exactly 2 cards from your discard pile; or +1 Action and put a card from your discard pile into your hand.

Sexton seems really weak. Your discard pile is empty way too often. With the discard the top card of your deck it is much stronger, but probably still weak.
I think it is also a bit too swingy as an opener: With about 40% chance you draw it turn 4 and trash 2 from discard, better than steward; otherwise it is a worse lookout with the buff and a ruined village without.

I think Prospector is probably weak and better with on gain instead of on buy; you really don't want to buy treasures much and a $2 caravan guard isn't that strong anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.