Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546691 times)

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5100 on: March 25, 2020, 06:00:52 am »
+2

Entrepreneur - Action Reaction, $2 cost.
+1 Action
+ $1

If the Entrepreneur pile is empty, +1 Card.
-
When another player trashes a card, you may exchange this for a card costing up to $5.

Counter opposing trashing with strong building. Or if there's no trashing in the game, you consider whether trying to empty the pile is worth it, if others will play along. If the pile is empty though, and someone trashes and another reacts with this, suddenly the pile isn't empty and all your Entrepreneurs are just Coppers again; that's the risk you take. An interactive card.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #5101 on: March 25, 2020, 08:42:12 am »

Dinner
cost $4 - Night
Exchange this to a card costing up to $5 onto your deck.
---
When games using this, add an extra Kingdom Action pile costing $6 - $8 to the Supply.

There aren't that many official cards that would fit this setup rule

Base: Artisan (Adventurer from first edition)
Intrigue: Nobles
Prosperity: Goons, Grand Market, Expand, Forge, King's Court, Peddler
Hinterlands: Border Village
Dark Ages: Altar, Hunting Grounds
Adventures: Hireling
Menagerie: Destrier, Wayfarer, Animal Fair
Promos: Captain, Prince

Seaside, Alchemy, Cornucopia, Guilds, Empires, Nocturne and Renaissance have no such cards in them.

I'm not sure what the setup rule is achieving, but just a note that it calls on a surprisingly small pool of cards (especially if you don't own Prosperity or Menagerie).

The official Feast is removed because it adds little to the game, Donald says.  I added 6-8 clause so that the extra card gives you a choice whether you take 100% of getting $5-cost cards, or some possibility to reach $6 or more.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #5102 on: March 25, 2020, 09:53:32 am »
+2

SUBMISSION MODIFIED (UP TO DATE VERSION ON PAGE 207)

I swore not to do anything overly convoluted anymore, and yet here I am again with my 3 cards package.

Originally, Notary exchanged itself with an Heir, but then I figured that there was no reason for it to be that way and it instead works à la Hermit or Urchin.

Now, the idea here is to have a little Gold making factory in your deck. Probably not the best way to get to a Gold on average (it is a slow chain), unless you hold onto the Letter, in which case getting 2 Golds by exchanging an Heir becomes more attractive. And if someone takes it from you, you can always try to play a Notary to reclaim it and use its extra +1 Action to play your Heir right after.

This was not tested. Probably needs it to get a better feel though.

EDIT: 5 out-of-Supply copies of Heir exist.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 12:20:58 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #5103 on: March 25, 2020, 10:40:00 am »
+3

For my entry, here's Inheritor. He's going to rule the kingdom someday. But how will he rule? Will he rule with the help of the people as a Minister? Will he wage war as a General? Or will he bring prosperity to the kingdom as a King? That's all up to you.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #5104 on: March 25, 2020, 01:52:07 pm »

General is too weak compared to the others. Minister is a Remodeling Festival probably worth , King is a high-value Victory card probably also worth , whereas General is somewhere between Witch and Ghost Ship, which places its value at . That said, they're all too strong for how easy they are to get. Minister and King are on par with the Travellers, so Inheritor is kind of like getting a Page and paying just extra to be able to upgrade three tiers instead of just one. And you can open with two of them. (General is stronger than either of the Travellers, but it's not as strong as Hero or Disciple IMO.)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 01:54:33 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #5105 on: March 25, 2020, 02:05:26 pm »

General is too weak compared to the others. Minister is a Remodeling Festival probably worth , King is a high-value Victory card probably also worth , whereas General is somewhere between Witch and Ghost Ship, which places its value at . That said, they're all too strong for how easy they are to get. Minister and King are on par with the Travellers, so Inheritor is kind of like getting a Page and paying just extra to be able to upgrade three tiers instead of just one. And you can open with two of them. (General is stronger than either of the Travellers, but it's not as strong as Hero or Disciple IMO.)
I do agree that it isn't as well balanced as it could be. I'm changing the the text of Inheritor to this.

The effects of the other three cards remain the same. If you can line it up with a 5-cost action or victory, you get one of the three strong cards. Is this too weak now? If so, I may strengthen the effects of the other 3 cards somewhat. Since i also forgot to mention it in the original post, there are five copies each of Minister, General, and King.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5106 on: March 25, 2020, 03:11:38 pm »

Import (Action, $3)

Choose one: Exile a non-Victory card from the Supply; or exchange this for a card on your Exile mat.

This lets you get expensive Supply cards, but in delayed fashion. Of course, you can continue Exiling cards if you’ve got other ways to release them...

Well, you can always release any exiled card by gaining a copy.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 03:13:01 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #5107 on: March 25, 2020, 06:55:46 pm »
+1

Lol, spineflu theming this challenge on me not knowing the game's rules well enough about my last entry X_X

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5108 on: March 25, 2020, 07:54:15 pm »

Lol, spineflu theming this challenge on me not knowing the game's rules well enough about my last entry X_X

lol nah i've got a trello board that i keep WDC prompts on, this was the next sensible one in the list, after "Design an Iron card" (i think i was thinking like an ironworks/ironmonger? but that's not an official card designation and i got tripped up writing the rules of what I was looking for so I scrapped it) and "Design a Dog" ( ? ? ? )
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 07:55:46 pm by spineflu »

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5109 on: March 25, 2020, 08:13:09 pm »
+1

lol nah i've got a trello board that i keep WDC prompts on, this was the next sensible one in the list, after "Design an Iron card" (i think i was thinking like an ironworks/ironmonger? but that's not an official card designation and i got tripped up writing the rules of what I was looking for so I scrapped it) and "Design a Dog" ( ? ? ? )

Ha - I've also got a Trello board with some WDC ideas - I just need to win one of these weeks...

I also both an Iron card and a Dog all ready, so I'll cheer for you to win again soon too!
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #5110 on: March 25, 2020, 08:32:45 pm »
+1

Scrap this. New entry coming. This is not the time for mediocre!
These cards are no longer my entry. Instead look for Balance and its offshoots Discord and Order.

I am hoping its a bit of an effort to get past Entrepreneur. But with deck thinning or just multiple Entrepreneurs (slogging through that debt) you can have a life of idle pleasure. Only momentarily though when you have to sober up and start toiling again.
Eventually the sobrieties will run out and you will have learnt to have fun without the hangover. The theme is a little shaky but its there if you squint.

(I just realised I will need to make changes. It might be that you only "may" exchange an Entrepreneur so that players can choose not to).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 09:09:15 pm by somekindoftony »

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #5111 on: March 25, 2020, 09:16:32 pm »
+1

Coupon
$3 - Reaction - Endgame
When another player gains a card costing $5 or more, you may reveal this from your hand to exchange it for a cheaper card.
--
At the end of the game, you may reveal this from your deck to exchange it for an Estate.

In case it isn't clear, "it" in both cases refers to the Coupon itself - if your opponent buys a Province you can turn your Coupon in for a Duchy, or a Gold, or whatever you need; or if the game ends then you can squeeze an extra point in, as long as there are enough Estates to go around (you would do the exchanges in turn order, starting with the person whose turn ended the game).

I know that this causes some slowdown, which is its main drawback, which is why I made the trigger something that hopefully is unusual enough that it's easy to do a quick whip-round and check if anyone wants to use their Coupon when it happens.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #5112 on: March 25, 2020, 09:35:22 pm »

Coupon
$3 - Reaction - Endgame
When another player gains a card costing $5 or more, you may reveal this from your hand to exchange it for a cheaper card.
--
At the end of the game, you may reveal this from your deck to exchange it for an Estate.

In case it isn't clear, "it" in both cases refers to the Coupon itself - if your opponent buys a Province you can turn your Coupon in for a Duchy, or a Gold, or whatever you need; or if the game ends then you can squeeze an extra point in, as long as there are enough Estates to go around (you would do the exchanges in turn order, starting with the person whose turn ended the game).

I know that this causes some slowdown, which is its main drawback, which is why I made the trigger something that hopefully is unusual enough that it's easy to do a quick whip-round and check if anyone wants to use their Coupon when it happens.

Why did you use "it" instead of "this"? I thought this meant you would exchange the opponent's card.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5113 on: March 25, 2020, 10:36:18 pm »
+1

Gonna post with some pre-judgement notes because I don't wanna get to the end of the contest and have to tell people they missed stuff that was correctable. (I'll do this throughout the week as well).

Import (Action, $3)

Choose one: Exile a non-Victory card from the Supply; or exchange this for a card on your Exile mat.

This lets you get expensive Supply cards, but in delayed fashion. Of course, you can continue Exiling cards if you’ve got other ways to release them...

This doesn't work/is a technical DQ / this isn't what exchanging is - from the wiki:
To exchange a card is to return it to its pile (Supply or otherwise) and put another card in the discard pile in its place.
You'll want to probably revise.

Love the exchange mechanic, even if it's tricky to implement. Here's my stab at it:

Devil • $0* • Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may topdeck a card.
At the start of Clean-Up, exchange this for an Angel.
(This is not in the Supply).

Where are we topdecking a card from? our hand? in play? Also can you rephrase this? - "topdeck" isn't a keyword.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 11:05:29 pm by spineflu »

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #5114 on: March 25, 2020, 11:12:21 pm »

Coupon
$3 - Reaction - Endgame
--

Why did you use "it" instead of "this"? I thought this meant you would exchange the opponent's card.
It's a fair question. I feel like "you may reveal this ... to exchange this" sounds like bad (or at least awkward) English. How about "You may reveal and exchange this for ..."?

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5115 on: March 25, 2020, 11:21:38 pm »
+1

Gonna post with some pre-judgement notes because I don't wanna get to the end of the contest and have to tell people they missed stuff that was correctable. (I'll do this throughout the week as well).

Import (Action, $3)

This doesn't work/is a technical DQ / this isn't what exchanging is - from the wiki:
To exchange a card is to return it to its pile (Supply or otherwise) and put another card in the discard pile in its place.
You'll want to probably revise.

This isn't my card, but as I'm also considering an Exile related card, can you clarify?

From the wiki quote, Exchange has two aspects:
• To exchange a card is to return it to its pile (Supply or otherwise)
I guess this depends in how you read this card. Does the exchanged card go to the Exile mat (since the target card is from there) or does it return to its pile? While the former is more natural language, other exchange cards do go back to their piles without specifying, so I think that is a valid way to read. If that is the case, this should be fine.

• put another card in the discard pile in its place.
The target card comes from the Exile mat. But technically, the clause above doesn't specify that the card you acquire comes from a pile (only that there has to be a card to acquire). Are you saying (for this week's challenge) that it has to?

Lastly, cards acquired from exchanging go to discard. Is this a requirement? Gained cards also go to discard, unless they don't.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 11:25:10 pm by scolapasta »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5116 on: March 26, 2020, 09:03:44 am »
+1

i read that as you put Import on the Exile mat, put the card from the Exile mat in your discard.

The otherwise in the pullquote refers to where a card's pile exists, whether thats in the supply, the kingdom, or outside of both.

I am requiring the obtained card come from a pile, so no exchanging from the trash or any other zone; otherwise its just returning a card to the supply and gaining a card from <zone>, instead of exchanging. The pile you're getting a card from can be Supply or non-Supply.

As far as obtained cards going to the discard, thats the default; you can feel free to move them in the same way you would gained cards - to hand, to the top of your deck, what have you - just be clear with what you're intending.

please let me know if there are followup questions
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 10:01:54 am by spineflu »

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #5117 on: March 26, 2020, 02:29:02 pm »
+1

Very well, then: I'll withdraw Import, and try to think of something else.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #5118 on: March 26, 2020, 05:27:24 pm »
+1

Brass (Treasure-Reaction, $5)

+$2
+1 Buy
---
When one of your cards is trashed, you may discard this from your hand to exchange it for a card costing up to $2 more.

For clarification, "it" refers to the card that would have been trashed. Instead of trashing it, you return it to its pile, before gaining a card costing up to $2 more than the returned card.

somekindoftony

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5119 on: March 26, 2020, 06:02:16 pm »
+1

This is my entry. Not the previous set of three cards. They will definitely return some day in some form but not for an exchange challenge.
Exchange was tacked on there but here it allows you to have "Balance" which is actually slightly better than it should be for cost. Barring shenanigans with cards like "Procession" Balance will become a card that is slightly weak for cost with the upside that you get a choice of which slightly bad card to get. Discord and Order can even be situationally good. They aren't hideous.

The set could have 10 balance cards but only 5 Discord and 5 Order. This also means that as numbers dwindle you don't get a choice. Or a full 10 of each (Discord and Order). I think I like the former of those options.

Theme:
The Taoist leader has right principles but their government inevitably becomes excessive in creating discord or order. Will they try again - perhaps erring in the other direction - or have they learnt that the will of Heaven cannot be imposed from above?

somekindoftony

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5120 on: March 26, 2020, 06:46:40 pm »

They are all too good. Discord is a great trasher (sure, Order nerfs it) and while Order does not do anything for you, a double Militia is pretty nasty.

Open Double Peddler, be pretty certain to get a $5 after the first shuffle, get a discard attack and a trasher after the second shuffle. That's too straightforward.

Would you really pay more than $2 for Order if you were buying it straight out?
Discord is possibly worth getting one but when you play it you will be reducing your hand to two cards. Its even worse than chapel in many situations (trash 4 crap cards but then have to regain two of them). I'd rate it as worth $2.5 at absolute best.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #5121 on: March 26, 2020, 07:32:54 pm »
+4

A Student that gets more knowledgeable as he Studies. What's more, tuition costs more as the student moves on through undergrad, graduate, and doctorate study.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

somekindoftony

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5122 on: March 26, 2020, 09:30:42 pm »

They are all too good. Discord is a great trasher (sure, Order nerfs it) and while Order does not do anything for you, a double Militia is pretty nasty.

Open Double Peddler, be pretty certain to get a $5 after the first shuffle, get a discard attack and a trasher after the second shuffle. That's too straightforward.

Would you really pay more than $2 for Order if you were buying it straight out?
Discord is possibly worth getting one but when you play it you will be reducing your hand to two cards. Its even worse than chapel in many situations (trash 4 crap cards but then have to regain two of them). I'd rate it as worth $2.5 at absolute best.
A nonterminal trasher that trashes 2 is on the same power level as Steward and Remake.

There are a ton of variables that make the cards hard to compare and I'm not saying I know for sure what I'm saying at all. You might be right. But for me its a real drawback to have to trash your whole hand with discord. It means that if you have the elements of an engine (a village and a smithy perhaps) in hand you have to play discord first and then recover those elements for little gain. You could play Steward or Remake last and only trash the curses you draw into. Do that with Discord and you will probably be worse off. Situationally you might draw 5 curses and Discord becomes awesome, better than Steward or Remake. And you could even gain really good cards from the trash. But generally I think it will be worse than other trashers because its your whole hand or nothing.
Its actually enough for me to consider never wanting to buy more than one or two Balances in a game. If you draw a Discord and an Order along with 2 coppers and an estate at the end of that turn you will have trashed an estate and copper, made others discard (with a repeat on your next turn) and have one to spend. That's not a great turn for drawing both your $3 purchases from previous turns.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #5123 on: March 27, 2020, 01:40:45 am »
+1

Probably not remotely balanced, but I love States and Artifacts and wish more had been done with them. And I love the theme of Nocturne.

(One copy of each State, like Lost in the Woods.)

Companion - Action - $5: Exchange this for a Toy. If you did, take Loyal, Friendly, or Naive.

Toy - Action - $1*: +1 Card, +1 Action. While this is in play, when you gain a Companion, you may exchange this for a Companion. (This is not in the Supply.)

Loyal - State: When you play an Action card, you may ignore its instructions and instead get +1 Card and +1 Action.

Friendly - State: When another player gains a card, you may discard a copy of it for +2 Cards.

Naive - State: At the start of your turn, you may discard any number of cards for +$1 each.

(One copy of each State, like Lost in the Woods.)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 03:33:26 pm by Something_Smart »

BlueHairedMeerkat

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5124 on: March 27, 2020, 06:46:14 am »
+1

Split pile ahoy! 5 copies of Pact atop 5 copies of Fiend.

Pact
Action - Reserve
$5

Exchange a card from your hand for a Gold. Place this on your Tavern mat.
----------
At the end of your Buy phase, you may exchange a card from your hand for a card costing at most $2 less than it to discard this from your Tavern mat.

Fiend
Night - Reaction
$4

This turn, you may put one of your Treasure cards onto your deck when you discard it from play.
----------
When another player exchanges a card, you may reveal and discard this to gain a copy of either exchanged card.

Making a pact with an infernal entity will get you riches, but beware the cost. Said infernal entity is probably off scheming somewhere, and profiting off whatever shady things you do.
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.