Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546731 times)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #3850 on: October 23, 2019, 10:47:21 am »

@Abel_K:

...the big one :

pretend this has brackets at the front/back:
Code: [Select]
img width=size_in_pixels height=size_in_pixelsI use width=250 for my vertical cards, width=300 for horizontal

@Something_Smart:
Just a wording style nitpick on zealot: you usually have the effects in the order they happen.
So it'd be
Until your next turn, the first time each other player plays a card on their turn, they ignore its effect and may play a cheaper non-Command card sharing a type with it from the Supply, leaving it there.
-
At the start of your next turn, +1 Card, +1 Action, and +$1.
in the card generator, with effects that happen at a different time than when you play a card (on-gain/on-buy, next turn, when you trash this, etc) under a horizontal line.

Also welcome to the board!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 03:01:53 pm by spineflu »

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: October 23, 2019, 11:09:43 am »
+1

Good point about the ordering of the effects, though looking at other Durations I don't think "next turn" uses a dividing line.

Thanks for the image Abel; how do you usually find those? Just google "[name] art"?

I'll put up a final version of the card with fixed wording when I get home from work. I think I'll keep the non-Command restriction so it's harder to get into a Zealot war.

Abel_K

• Scout
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: October 23, 2019, 11:33:33 am »

Thanks for the image Abel; how do you usually find those? Just google "[name] art"?

Generally yes, or "paintings", or "museum", or the same in french... If no success, I try with synonyms, etc.
I "turn around"... and sometimes I change the title of the card !!!

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: October 23, 2019, 11:52:06 am »
+6

Quote from: scolapasta
A little bit wordy, but I like it.

Quote from: ShadowHawk
I don't think setting Schola aside is needed.  Playing an expensive card via this seems nice, but you have to have them in hand together.  Until that, Schola is dead.  I prefer just buying the target card.

Quote from: 4est
This looks like a Smuggler as it helps the second player.  I like Smuggler.  However, this kills some cards like Familiar.  I just buy Falconers to play my opponent Sally's Familiar.  She knows, so she never buys Familiar.  In Smuggler games, you still want to buy a 5 or 6-cost card, because you may be able to re-Smuggle.

Quote from: spineflu
Compared to Innovation, this seems less attactive.  Playing an Action card after buying something is only useful when it is also an Attack or earns more money.  I prefer just buying that Attack.
Note: Avoiding a pointer to a pointer is an acceptable reason to write "non-Command".

Quote from: Commodore Chuckles
Maybe too strong, but trash-for-benefit BoM is amazing idea.  I like it.

Quote from: Gubump
Not bad.

Quote from: Fragasnap
"Before you played this" seems "before re-playing of this", which enables the leftmost General to replay itself.  Is there a good way not to confuse players?

Quote from: Aquila
This cannot avoid loops.  (But playing this with Ironworks is very attactive.  I like it.)

Quote from: DEGwer
Don't forget that some games don't have 2 or 3 cost Action cards in Supply.  But not bad.

Quote from: Gazbag
Wow! A Throne Room with an extra ability!  I like Thrones!

Quote from: mail-mi
Nice, but too overpowering.  With Smithy, this is "+6 Cards".

Quote from: grep
A BoM with a Heirloom! Nice card, but I don't know when to go for it.

Quote from: anordinaryman
Nice card, but this often slows down games.  I cannot decide which to let you play so fast.

Quote from: NoMoreFun
Shadow Realm
Action/Command - $3
You may reveal an Action from your hand to play it, then play the Shadow card with the same cost, leaving it there.
-
Setup: For each Action card cost present in the supply, set aside an extra non-command Action with that cost; these are the Shadow cards.
Wow, this is similar to Potion, as this enables you to access non-Supply cards.  I like it.

Quote from: grrgrrgrr
Far less interesting than Inheritance.  You usually have a few Estates when you inherit.  You usually have at most one Duchy when you buy Civilization.

Quote from: naitchman
Setting aside 5 Coppers with Miser makes it terminal Platinum.  Nice.  Setting aside with YoP makes it Council Room when you first play YoP.  ...I prefer just buying Council Rooms or something.

Quote from: Something_Smart
Zealot
Types: Action, Duration, Attack, Command
Cost: $4
At the start of your next turn, +1 Card, +1 Action, and +$1. Until your next turn, the first time each other player plays a card on their turn, they ignore its effect and may play a cheaper non-Command card sharing a type with it from the Supply, leaving it there.
This punishes engines too harsh.  Some boards doesn't have cheap +Action cards.  Enchantress is ok because it provides an incentive to gain more Action cards.

This week's winner is Commodore ChucklesGazbag is the 2nd place.  Congraturations!

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: October 23, 2019, 01:40:22 pm »

Setting aside 5 Coppers with Miser makes it terminal Platinum.  Nice.  Setting aside with YoP makes it Council Room when you first play YoP.  ...I prefer just buying Council Rooms or something.
I think you seriously underestimate the flexibility of this. Play it as village, play the second copy as Smithy and so on.
Also, we usually prefer to use our terminal space for draw and not for terminal Coin generation.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #3855 on: October 23, 2019, 03:01:22 pm »

I think you seriously underestimate the flexibility of this. Play it as village, play the second copy as Smithy and so on.
Also, we usually prefer to use our terminal space for draw and not for terminal Coin generation.

You'd need at least 5 Coppers on your mat to pull off that combo, though, since one of the Coppers is turned over for the turn each time YoP is played.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: October 23, 2019, 03:12:07 pm »
+1

You'd need at least 5 Coppers on your mat to pull off that combo, though, since one of the Coppers is turned over for the turn each time YoP is played.
I am not claiming that it is much better than Miser, which is fairly weak / situational. But the flexibility is strong (and without the turning of the Coppers the card would be an ultimate emulator, a mono-engine card) and makes it a tad better than Miser (around which you often have to build an engine with extra Buys and draw power to make it worthwhile).

ShadowHawk

• Baron
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: October 24, 2019, 03:48:01 pm »

I don't think setting Schola aside is needed.  Playing an expensive card via this seems nice, but you have to have them in hand together.  Until that, Schola is dead.  I prefer just buying the target card.

Good point. How about this?

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: October 24, 2019, 03:52:42 pm »

congrats to CC and Gazbag!

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: October 24, 2019, 03:59:14 pm »
+2

congrats to CC and Gazbag!

Thanks! Commodore's was my favourite this week too so I'm glad it won! 

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: October 24, 2019, 07:41:46 pm »

Nice, but I wonder it should let you play a Potion-cost card or a $6 card.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: October 24, 2019, 10:03:06 pm »
+1

Thanks, Majiponi!

Contest #49: Make a Card with a Custom Heirloom
Couldn't think of a snappier title, sorry. Anyway, it's exactly what it says on the tin: design both a card and a new Heirloom that comes with it. Can't think of any restrictions at the moment except that the Heirloom has to have the Treasure type. If this specific contest has been done before, sorry, I'll pick something else. I remember there was a contest for making a card that comes with an existing official Heirloom, but this is slightly different.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: October 24, 2019, 10:11:45 pm »

Nice, but I wonder it should let you play a Potion-cost card or a $6 card.

Neither  ;D I should limit it to "on a non-Command Action Supply pile costing $5/$4 or less." But now it's just a Band of Misfits, so I'll drop it and come up with something else. Thank you.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: October 25, 2019, 01:37:19 am »

Menagerie variant that can assist the heirloom in producing a greater $.

Edited 10/25/2019 after input by segura and Gubump
Edited 10/26/2019 after further input from segura, DEGwur and Fragasnap.
Edited 10/27/2019 to use rephrase by grrgrrgrr.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 04:02:30 pm by ShadowHawk »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: October 25, 2019, 02:06:31 am »
+1

First Born is either a worse Fugitive (discard first is worse than discarding after) or a Villa without the + or the on-gain effect. I think First Born is too weak to cost and should probably cost .
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: October 25, 2019, 02:08:58 am »

Thanks, Majiponi!

Contest #49: Make a Card with a Custom Heirloom
Couldn't think of a snappier title, sorry. Anyway, it's exactly what it says on the tin: design both a card and a new Heirloom that comes with it. Can't think of any restrictions at the moment except that the Heirloom has to have the Treasure type. If this specific contest has been done before, sorry, I'll pick something else. I remember there was a contest for making a card that comes with an existing official Heirloom, but this is slightly different.

How about an Action - Treasure - Heirloom?

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: October 25, 2019, 05:26:53 am »

I had +1 Coffers as an Heirloom floating around in my head for a while. Then I thought, it lets you get fewer, bigger buys, so the card it's attached to needs to either be big itself or support them. I did the former; Hireling that does Upgrade gaining to hand at the start of every turn. Copper trashing may be lessened a bit if one chooses to use Safe, and the $7 cost is hopefully balanced and makes a $1 cost bridge between Gold and Province. Gain to hand may be too crazy, but at least that card probably won't be hit by Foundation next turn.
Then Safe just as 1 Coffers looked a tad boring, so added the extra bit on. You might save something for Foundation next turn?

Edit: replaced old entry:

I first went down the support big buys route, but then there may never be any big buys in the game. Safe had to change since 2 Coffers saved makes things a bit too easy to hit $7. Also, spot the mistake on each card! Safe is easy, but see if you can find aristocrat's (it's not non-Duration).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 06:39:40 pm by Aquila »

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: October 25, 2019, 07:06:08 am »
+4

Doesn't seem to me it should have to be a Treasure.

Farrier
Types: Action
Cost: $3
+1 Action, +$3. You may play a Treasure from your hand. Either way, spend all your $ and gain a card other than a Farrier costing up to the amount you paid.
Heirloom: Horseshoe
Horseshoe
Types: Treasure, Heirloom
Cost: $0
When you play this, cards cost $1 less this turn.
Per #5 in the 2019 errata, Horseshoe doesn't need to mention that cards can't cost less than $0. Take it up with Donald X., not me.

Farrier is a non-terminal Workshop variant that you pay to make better.  Normally you can lose a Copper to make it into a normal Workshop.  Dropping a Silver turns it into a $5 gainer.  Other coins coming from Peddlers and the like also power it up.  If you're overdrawing, you can use Farriers as mid-turn "buys."  It spends all $ so you don't have to track it, and also because a Gold for $3 would be silly, even if you had to gain a Copper for it.
Horseshoe reduces the cost of cards.  You can double-dip between Farrier and your Buy phase--or multiple Farriers, I suppose.  When Farrier isn't relevant, you can use Horseshoe with +Buys anyway.  Horseshoe is worded so you can Crown or Counterfeit it.

HISTORY:
Originally Farrier could gain Farriers.  Farrier->Farrier\Silver\Estate into Farrier+Silver->Duchy seemed dangerous on sight.  Now you have to actually buy the Farriers which makes the described rush much slower.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 04:40:37 pm by Fragasnap »
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: October 25, 2019, 08:26:11 am »
+1

First Born is either a worse Fugitive (discard first is worse than discarding after) or a Villa without the + or the on-gain effect. I think First Born is too weak to cost and should probably cost .
I don't want to disagree with your assessment, this is a weak $5. But you cannot ignore the Heirloom, i.e. Cellar-Fugitive is stronger due to Father's Sword than it would be without it.
I'd change the Menagerie option though. An extra Buy is smart to make Father's Sword payoff but the other stuff seems too weak.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: October 25, 2019, 09:49:37 am »
+2

Not sure about Blacksmith's strength, also forgot to include the heirloom on the card.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #3870 on: October 25, 2019, 10:04:43 am »
+1

Is Tool supposed to work if you discard it during Clean-Up? Right now, it does.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #3871 on: October 25, 2019, 10:30:20 am »
+1

Some stiff competition already this week. I think I mostly want to play Fragasnap's entry because I'm p sure I can get Lord Rattington to masquerade some horseshoes over to me.

My entry: Tinker, Tin Snips

Tinker • $5 • Night
Exchange a card from your hand for a card from the Supply costing up to $2 more than it.
Heirloom: Tin Snips
Tin Snips • $4 • Treasure - Reaction - Heirloom
$2
-
When you return a card to the supply, you may reveal this from your hand for +2 Coffers, then put it onto your deck.

The Heirloom is pretty closely coupled to Tinker, but it also works with the Nocturne exchangers (bat/vampire/changeling) and Travellers, Ambassador, and vanishing cards (experiment, encampment, etc), although not with Not-In-Supply vanishing cards like Madman or Spoils.

Revisions:
  • Specified that Tinker's target is from the Supply
  • Changed Tin Snips' price from $2 to $3; changed amt of coffers you get from 2 to 3
  • Changed Tinkers price to $5 from $4
  • Changed Tin Snips' immediate money/on-play to $2
  • Changed Tin Ships' price to $4
  • Changed Tin Snips' coffers effect back to +2 Coffers, but you put it onto your deck instead of discarding it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 10:04:43 am by spineflu »

Abel_K

• Scout
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: October 25, 2019, 10:34:14 am »

Hello everybody !
I'm fond of yhis contest, and I send my first try now… Well, as I am, it's rather complicated but, i Think, rather logical.

Strategist. Cost $3

Choose one : +1 Action or +$1

Choose one : trash a card, gain a Strategic Map, or
trash a Treasure and a Victory, gain a Strategic Conquest, or a card costing up to $4 ($3 ?)
If theese two card are double type or more, gain a card costing up to $7. ($6 ?)
Worth 1PV per 2 Strategist in your deck (rounded UP!)

Heirloom : Strategic Money
+1 Buy
When you play this, if you have only different cards in play, + $ equal to half of the number of theese cards, rounded down.
(You are not allowed to play other treasures after this)

Strategic Map

$1    +1 Buy  VP1
This is not in the Supply

Strategic Conquest

Count the cards in play that contain « Strategi/c/st » in their name.
This is worth :
$1 if this number is 1
$2 if this number is 2 or 3
$3 if this number is 4+
At the end of the game, this is worth 1/2  VP per 2 cards « Strategi/c/st » in your deck (rounded down)

As you can imagine, I like Menagerie ! The idea here is to gain rather easily different cards that match with the Heirloom.
Strategist is double-type so you can trash it with another Strategist…
Of course, I am not shure of how all this is balanced (so some possible variants for the gained cards in Strategist ; and this one could cost $4…)
Thank you for your feedback and your indulgence...

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: October 25, 2019, 11:39:39 am »
+1

Some stiff competition already this week. I think I mostly want to play Fragasnap's entry because I'm p sure I can get Lord Rattington to masquerade some horseshoes over to me.

My entry: Tinker, Tin Snips

Tinker • $4 • Night
Exchange a card from your hand for a card costing up to $2 more than it.
Heirloom: Tin Snips
Tin Snips • $2 • Treasure - Reaction - Heirloom
$1
-
When you return a card to the supply, you may discard this from your hand for +2 Coffers

The Heirloom is pretty closely coupled to Tinker, but it also works with the Nocturne exchangers (bat/vampire/changeling) and Travellers, Ambassador, and vanishing cards (experiment, encampment, etc), although not with Not-In-Supply vanishing cards like Madman or Spoils.

I think that Tinker compares too favorably to Remodel. Tinker is both non-terminal and synergizes with Tin Snips, and exchanging isn't that different from trashing most of the time.
More importantly, Tinker needs to specify that you can only exchange for cards from the Supply. As worded, you can use Tinker to exchange an Estate for a Warrior.

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: October 25, 2019, 11:39:57 am »
+3

Haunted Dresser
cost $2 - Action
Reveal a card from your hand and put it onto your deck.
If it is...
an Action card, +2 Villagers
an Victory card, +1vp
an Treasure card, +2 Coffers
(Heirloom: Drawer)

Drawer
cost $3 - Treasure - Heirloom
$1
Draw 1 extra card for your next hand.
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 21 queries.