Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546279 times)

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #3175 on: August 14, 2019, 12:42:15 pm »

I feel like in general, people are making their prizes way too powerful. Keep in mind the current prizes. Princess gives you +buy and -2 cost (can't be throned). It's good, but not an amazingly powerful card. Bag of gold gives a gold on top of your deck. Nice, but again not game-changing. Trusty steed and followers are great (probably worth $7 or more) but they don't absolutely break the game.

Craftsman pretty much allows you to gain any card and then play it. it might have diminishing returns, but prizes generally come at the end of the game so you probably won't be able to play it past its use anyway. Again, very very powerful.

Thank you for the feedback! I had trouble figuring out the power level— you’re right the gain and play is too strong since it’ll act like a super super powerful artisan the first few turns you play it. Good eye!

Do you think it would be best balanced as:
1. terminal but gains to discard like normal
2. Terminal but gains to top of deck
3. Non terminal but gains to discard
4. Non terminal but gains to top of deck

I feel like I’m leaning towards 2 or 3 right now.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: August 14, 2019, 01:05:33 pm »

First try at a prize gainer:

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #3177 on: August 14, 2019, 01:09:17 pm »

Thank you for the feedback! I had trouble figuring out the power level— you’re right the gain and play is too strong since it’ll act like a super super powerful artisan the first few turns you play it. Good eye!

for what its worth, i like 3

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: August 14, 2019, 01:17:29 pm »

minor feedback: You accidentally a word in the "combined cost" part

more quibbly feedback: equal to exactly, or equal to or greater than? if it's the former, pricing this at $3 gives the second (hit $8) and third (hit $6) prize winners maybe a little bit of an advantage?

Still, I like it, and i like that it gets easier to do as the prizes get worse. Neat card.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: August 14, 2019, 01:22:34 pm »

minor feedback: You accidentally a word in the "combined cost" part
:)

more quibbly feedback: equal to exactly, or equal to or greater than? if it's the former, pricing this at $3 gives the second (hit $8) and third (hit $6) prize winners maybe a little bit of an advantage?.
Not quite sure what you're saying here... but I think this needs some tweaking, glad you like the idea.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3180 on: August 14, 2019, 01:27:01 pm »

more quibbly feedback: equal to exactly, or equal to or greater than? if it's the former, pricing this at $3 gives the second (hit $8) and third (hit $6) prize winners maybe a little bit of an advantage?.
Not quite sure what you're saying here... but I think this needs some tweaking, glad you like the idea.

Does the first person need to trash exactly $10 worth of cards, or greater than or equal to $10 worth of cards? If it's exact, that makes this maybe a little harder to play in Potion/Debt games.

Assuming the players mirror eachother as much as possible, the first player may have a slight advantage getting their second prize (the third prize of the pile) because they can trash their Knighting and a Silver (or other $3 card); the fourth prize in the pile will have to be via two $2 or a $4 and a $0 - can't use the Knighting unless Shelters or Poor House are a thing.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: August 14, 2019, 01:32:24 pm »
+1

Does the first person need to trash exactly $10 worth of cards, or greater than or equal to $10 worth of cards? If it's exact, that makes this maybe a little harder to play in Potion/Debt games.

Assuming the players mirror eachother as much as possible, the first player may have a slight advantage getting their second prize (the third prize of the pile) because they can trash their Knighting and a Silver (or other $3 card); the fourth prize in the pile will have to be via two $2 or a $4 and a $0 - can't use the Knighting unless Shelters or Poor House are a thing.
I see, you're talking about players trashing their Knighting (since it's a purposefully weak card) when they buy their second. In light of that, which I definitely already thought about as something players might do before you brought it up :P, I'll change it to exactly or greater.

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: August 14, 2019, 04:20:38 pm »

I feel like in general, people are making their prizes way too powerful. Keep in mind the current prizes. Princess gives you +buy and -2 cost (can't be throned). It's good, but not an amazingly powerful card. Bag of gold gives a gold on top of your deck. Nice, but again not game-changing. Trusty steed and followers are great (probably worth $7 or more) but they don't absolutely break the game.

Craftsman pretty much allows you to gain any card and then play it. it might have diminishing returns, but prizes generally come at the end of the game so you probably won't be able to play it past its use anyway. Again, very very powerful.

I think both 2 and 3 are about right. They both tone down the power of the card but each has its strengths and weaknesses. It's up to you.

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: August 14, 2019, 04:32:57 pm »

Just thought I'd put out there: Please try to put both your prize and prize gainer in one post. I'm not the judge, but I'm sure Kudasai would appreciate this when it comes time to judge.

Specifically if you update only one of your cards, or if you post one of the two and then post the other, try to put your other card in that post even if nothing changes since it will be much easier than hunting for your other card.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 06:27:28 pm by naitchman »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: August 14, 2019, 04:49:57 pm »

mine are both updated in my initial entry's post but sure i'll go through and toss on the other on there. We also have the trello for this

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: August 14, 2019, 05:09:19 pm »

My nom for this week.

Rat King (Action, $5)
+1 Card
+1 Action
Trash any amount of Rats from your hand. If you have trashed 3 or more Rats this way, gain a Prize (from the Prize pile) or a Duchy, onto your deck
-
When you gain this, +2 Rats
-
Setup: If there is no Rats pile in the supply, add one.

The Rats king wants to become stronger, sacrificing his folk to the gods. If he sacrifices enough, he grants you a delicious Prize.

Frog (Treasure - Duration - Prize)
$1
If you have played another Prize this turn, you may set aside this and a non-Duration Action costing up to $4. If you do, at the start of each of your turns, play the set-aside Action, leaving it there.

This is a Prince once it kisses a Princess. I know that involving a Harem is kinda not-done Dominion card design, but it fits so well flavor wise.

UPDATE: I redid the frog, as it is obviously silly to restrict it to Princess. Also toned down to $1, as Prince can be quite strong.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 03:45:31 pm by grrgrrgrr »

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: August 14, 2019, 06:28:53 pm »
+1

mine are both updated in my initial entry's post but sure i'll go through and toss on the other on there. We also have the trello for this

ok. didn't know about the trello.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: August 14, 2019, 06:43:44 pm »
+1

Does anyone think the Hall of Fame on the forum should be updated, even though we do have the trello, which is amazing btw?

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: August 14, 2019, 07:38:18 pm »
+1

Horse Show
Types: Action
Cost: $4
+2 Cards. You may trash a Treasure from your hand. If it cost at least... $2: +1 Action; $4: Gain a Prize from the Prize pile or a Duchy, putting it into your hand; $6: Each other player may trash a Treasure from their hand.
Tempo-trasher, like a terminal Spice Merchant.  Trash Silver non-terminally if it has outlived its usefulness.  Trash a big Treasure to get a Prize or a Duchy (and use that Prize immediately).
Most Kingdoms the only Treasure you can trash for Prizes is Gold, which will also give other players the opportunity to trash Copper.  Maybe it gives you a reason to get Bag of Gold so you can grab more Prizes?  Quarry or Cursed Coin for a Prize will be a pretty sweet deal, though trashing a wanted Crown or Scepter will probably not be quite as good (while cards like Cache, Contraband, Ill-Gotten Gains, Royal Seal, and Talisman won't be sorry for the buff).
Remember that if a player does trash a Gold, they choose which Prize (or Duchy) to gain before you get your option to trash.  If a player gains Followers to hand after trashing a Gold, you can trash that Copper you were going to discard anyway in response.

Archivist
Types: Action, Prize
Cost: $0*
You may trash a Treasure from your hand for +$1. Draw until you have 7 cards in hand.
(This is not in the Supply.)
There is no trashing nor any especially significant draw from the Prize pile, so Archivist tries to provide situational availability of both.
A Copper trasher will not be too oppressive in Tournament games by the time it can be acquired (and Animal Show is already a passable Copper trasher in the event that Archivist is good to rush).
Draw-to-X is of fairly limited usefulness on a singleton card, but it can hopefully be exciting--in the same way Princess can be.  It also can act as a counter to the discard of Followers if a player wins a race to it (even though the all-around junking of Followers will make Archivist overall worse. I considered giving it the ability to trash Curses, but that seems too good if there is no other way to trash Followers' Curses).
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: August 14, 2019, 07:49:27 pm »

Master of ceremonies has no cost limit or nor supply limit. probably worth at least $8 (and you probably won't have terminal problems)

It's good, but I don't think it overshadows the other Prizes. Master of Ceremonies can do anything in the Kingdom, but (most of) the other Prizes can do great things that aren't in the Kingdom. Would you really always choose it over Trusty Steed and Princess? I wouldn't.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: August 14, 2019, 08:14:45 pm »

Artisan, Nobles, the 5 relevant Potion-costed Actions, Goons, Grand Market, Expand, Forge, KC, Border Village (duh, just a village), Altar, Hunting Grounds, Hireling, the 3 relevant Debt-costed Actions, Captain and Prince. That's 21 cards out of 320-325 Kingdom cards and the probability that none of them are present in a Kingdom are around 50%.

Being able to copy one of those >$5s is pretty good, although unlikely to be overpowered as this cannot do what the official Prizes can and what you already pointed out: compensate for what the Kingdom does not feature (no Buy, get Princess; no village, get Trusty Steed; thin deck with too little payload, get Bag of Gold or Diadem).

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: August 14, 2019, 10:30:56 pm »

Master of ceremonies has no cost limit or nor supply limit. probably worth at least $8 (and you probably won't have terminal problems)

It's good, but I don't think it overshadows the other Prizes. Master of Ceremonies can do anything in the Kingdom, but (most of) the other Prizes can do great things that aren't in the Kingdom. Would you really always choose it over Trusty Steed and Princess? I wouldn't.

It's not that I always would, it's that I would a majority of the time. If there was no +buy in the kingdom I would choose getting a ruined market over getting 10 King's courts, but obviously you would not say that those choices are on the same footing. MoC is versatile and strong. It's strictly better than overlord, and in a majority of cases, better than princess or trusty steed.

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: August 14, 2019, 11:51:09 pm »
+2

Alright here are my entries.

First off, the prize gainer:

You lead a crusade for the kingdom and for your efforts you are awarded a prize. However, it takes some time until you come back.

1) A note on the pricing: I wanted to make a card which allowed you to buy prizes outright. I didn't want to give the first player a huge advantage because getting the first prize can be a big deal. Also, I didn't want to make it easy to get a prize by turn 3, however, I couldn't make it cost too much. I couldn't make it cost 5 or less, since it's easy to spike $5 without coppers (moneylender, death cart, horse traders, baron, storeroom, secret chamber, extra coffer from baker, etc.). I also couldn't just price it at $7 (and I felt $8 was too much) or a lucky draw on turn 3 could happen (silver, terminal silver, 3 coppers). So it costs the same as a grand market.

2) When you buy this, there's a cool off period for buying another prize. Since your cube is on the project, you can't buy it again until your cube gets removed (I have not found any official rules on whether you can buy a project if you have your cube on it, so I'm saying you can't. If anyone's seen something different please tell me and I'll change the wording). The first prize puts 5 tokens (assuming 6 prizes) on the card, meaning you have 4 turns you can't buy a crusade (not including the turn you buy it), the next one is 4 tokens and so on. This is to address the problem that people have with tournament, that it is too swingy; whoever gets the first prize is in a better position to get the 2nd prize (considering they must already have a province and tournament, and now they have a prize that can help them get their next prize) and often one player sweeps all the prizes or at least most of them. With crusade, when you buy a prize, your opponent(s) are in a better position than you to get the next prize because you are locked out of it for a couple of turns. You likely won't get more than 2 prizes with this so choose your prizes wisely. The big benefit of getting this first is getting your choice of prizes not getting all the prizes.

3) For tokens, use coffers. The tokens get put under your cube just like sinister plot. I tried to copy the language of sinister plot as much as possible when it came to referencing the tokens.

4) The prize is put on top of your deck to be used your next turn (because presumably, your turn is over).

Now on to the prize:

The king is very pleased with you and will now allow you to do things he wouldn't normally allow other peasants to do. It's not a tangible prize, but it is pretty valuable.

1) Since the prizes are all about getting exclusive rights to a card, I thought i'd go along that theme. The exclusive cards will likely be weaker than the other prizes but you can get 5 of them. Obviously the value of this will depend on the kingdom and what the restricted card is.

2) This card works well as a prize since the idea is to get exclusive rights to a kingdom card and that can't work if this card is in the supply.

3) Top half means half of the pile (i.e. if there are 10 cards in the pile set aside the top 5, 12 cards set aside the top 6). It should be the number of cards that would be there if they were in the supply (thus the number of victory cards will be 4 in 2p and 6 in 3p or 4p).It only allows you to buy half the copies of the card. I did this for 2 reasons. Getting 10 copies of a card your opponent can't get can be a little too powerful in some circumstances (villages where there are no other villages, fool's gold). 5 is the amount you'd get, if you'd split it equally with your opponent so I thought it was fair to give you what you would get if the pile was fought over. The 2nd reason is to take care of split pile problems. Gladiator would be unfair since you'd have sole access to fortune. sauna/avanto would also be unfair if you get all of them. Getting sole access to castles would also be unfair. Now getting all 4 castles would be worth 11 in a 2p game. In addition, other victory cards would be tamed down. You would not be able to get all 8 feodums or silk roads.

4) The cards are in the supply during your turns and thus your opponent can technically gain them (messenger, possession).

5) It starts you off with one of the restricted cards. I was back and forth between not giving you any restricted cards, this, and putting it into your hand. I felt the last option could be a little unfair compared to other prizes if you could immediately play restricted cards and get more of them. Not getting any could be a little hard because then you'd have to spend time and $ buying the restricted cards, wait to get your cards in hand and then use them. You might not have the time in late game, so I gave you 1 to start.

6) This was originally a reserve that allowed you to buy restricted cards only if it was on the tavern mat, but I then I realized it would work better as a duration.

7) an empty restricted pile will not trigger the end of the game.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 02:40:15 pm by naitchman »

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: August 15, 2019, 04:40:26 am »

Mother of Dukes
cost $0* - Action - Prize
+1 Action
Gain a Duchy or 3 Estates.
(This is not in Supply.)

Pumpkin Contest
cost $6P - Event
Gain a Prize.
---
In games using this, add the Tournament pile to the Supply.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 06:50:34 pm by majiponi »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: August 15, 2019, 06:42:03 pm »

Updated Submission (previous post was deleted)

Concept:: Basically a "card' that's something different every shuffle/turn, using the Prize pile. The trashing isnt optional, and you gain a prize remaining from the pile before restocking it  (so you can't gain the prize you played this turn). It uses the trash so you can't trash prizes out of circulation. The cards are pretty good, but you don't get to have it in your deck reliably, especially if other players go for it.

A trash for benefit idea I've had around for a while (usually as "Whittler"). It can get very crazy but it's easier to keep up when there's only one of them.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 07:28:46 pm by NoMoreFun »

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3195 on: August 15, 2019, 08:16:44 pm »
+1

Updated Submission (previous post was deleted)

Concept:: Basically a "card' that's something different every shuffle/turn, using the Prize pile. The trashing isnt optional, and you gain a prize remaining from the pile before restocking it  (so you can't gain the prize you played this turn). It uses the trash so you can't trash prizes out of circulation. The cards are pretty good, but you don't get to have it in your deck reliably, especially if other players go for it.

A trash for benefit idea I've had around for a while (usually as "Whittler"). It can get very crazy but it's easier to keep up when there's only one of them.

Pyrrhic Victory: Interesting Idea. This seems a bit cheap, but considering you only buy this once, you can only get one prize and you have to keep cycling through different ones (which means you don't get exclusive rights to it, and getting first pick won't be huge advantage over your opponent) it's not going to make a big impact. Still, should probably cost $5-$6.

Guided Tour: You should probably specify actions in the supply or else someone could use this to gain other prizes. That being said, I think this card falls into what I said before about the entries for prizes being too strong. If there's enough cheap cantrips/desirable cards this can get a bit crazy. The cards could even be used to get more fodder for guided tour. imagine trashing a $5 to get a bridge, ironworks, village, and smithy. You then use bridge and ironworks to get another $5 card to trash for next turn (and get +1 action) then draw 4 cards and +2 actions. All in all you trash a $5 card for +3 actions, +4 cards, +buy, +$1, -1 cost, and to gain 4 useful cards. Compare that to princess or trusty steed.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 08:17:48 pm by naitchman »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: August 15, 2019, 09:15:18 pm »

Guided Tour: The cards could even be used to get more fodder for guided tour. imagine trashing a $5 to get a bridge, ironworks, village, and smithy.

Bridge, Ironworks and Smithy all have the same cost so you'd only be able to gain and play one of them.

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: August 15, 2019, 10:04:53 pm »
+1

Guided Tour: The cards could even be used to get more fodder for guided tour. imagine trashing a $5 to get a bridge, ironworks, village, and smithy.

Bridge, Ironworks and Smithy all have the same cost so you'd only be able to gain and play one of them.

True. I missed that part. That definitely makes it weaker. Still, with a reasonable 2, 3 and 4 I think this is still a bit strong.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: August 15, 2019, 10:50:26 pm »
+1

True. I missed that part. That definitely makes it weaker. Still, with a reasonable 2, 3 and 4 I think this is still a bit strong.

I think Gold is mainly what makes it too strong, especially with Gold gainers. Even without a way to fill your deck with Golds, Gold is usually a card you don't really mind trashing anyway. Also, the combination of Pyrrhic Victory with Guided Tour is really crazy. You only need to play Guided Tour once to suddenly have a huge advantage.

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: August 16, 2019, 12:41:54 am »
+1

I think Gold is mainly what makes it too strong, especially with Gold gainers. Even without a way to fill your deck with Golds, Gold is usually a card you don't really mind trashing anyway. Also, the combination of Pyrrhic Victory with Guided Tour is really crazy. You only need to play Guided Tour once to suddenly have a huge advantage.

You can always use Bag of Gold
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 22 queries.