Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546935 times)

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #2175 on: May 30, 2019, 09:31:44 pm »

Okay this is my submission (for now)

Seeing as my original idea was anti-treasures, I figured this one should be anti-villages.
Here are some notes:
1) I made this a night so it wouldn't (largely) affect the turn you play it.
2) It's action, not action card.
3) If you go to your cleanup and you're in the middle of playing a card, it stops and you don't get any of the other benefits (for instance, you don't get a spoils if you play bandit camp). I figure since the case is never dealt with in the real dominion, I can make my own rules for it.

I think the penalty on this is way too harsh. Especially as someone who likes their engines, I don't think I would ever buy a Grand Tour as it is currently.

Agreed. Either it needs changing or a drastic cost reduction as it's only really useful in big money and the very rare case of an engine without terminals.

If you intend to keep the card as it currently is anyway (possibly by reducing the cost):
1) I would say "unused Actions" like Diadem.
2) In response to your note 3, switching phases in the middle of a card resolution is, in fact, dealt with in Dominion. If you play Ironworks in your Buy phase through Capitalism or Scepter, and gain Villa, it causes you to switch phases in the middle of resolving Ironworks. But you still get to finish resolving it and get +1 Action.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: May 30, 2019, 09:49:06 pm »

Seeing as my original idea was anti-treasures, I figured this one should be anti-villages.
Here are some notes:
3) If you go to your cleanup and you're in the middle of playing a card, it stops and you don't get any of the other benefits (for instance, you don't get a spoils if you play bandit camp). I figure since the case is never dealt with in the real dominion, I can make my own rules for it.

I think the penalty on this is way too harsh. Especially as someone who likes their engines, I don't think I would ever buy a Grand Tour as it is currently.

Agreed. Either it needs changing or a drastic cost reduction as it's only really useful in big money and the very rare case of an engine without terminals.

Devil's advocate here, but you could run an engine off of Grand Tour and Villagers. The only ways to really reliably do that are with Patron and Recruiter, though. And Recruiter doesn't actually work that well since you'd probably be trashing your engine components with it eventually.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: May 30, 2019, 10:01:05 pm »

Here are some notes:

Devil's advocate here, but you could run an engine off of Grand Tour and Villagers. The only ways to really reliably do that are with Patron and Recruiter, though. And Recruiter doesn't actually work that well since you'd probably be trashing your engine components with it eventually.

Patron doesn't work without a TR variant, because it only get you one Villager per play. Acting Troupe could work. My point (actually your point from earlier too) still stands that it's a rare engine that can run w/o villages.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: May 30, 2019, 11:02:16 pm »

I've updated the card to deal with some of the issues

1) There's no switching phases, and you can at least play villages now. You can basically only play 1 terminal (excluding villagers, coin of the realm, throne room variants, or other shtick).
2) The fact that your extra turn is weakened is not as big as you're making it out to be. Outpost and Mission also have restrictions because extra turns are a big deal (If i can double province each turn, getting an extra turn unconditionally would be like a card that gave you 2 provinces). I could say that I would never buy outposts in big money and I would only buy it in engines with great trashing (or with guide or minion); that's the point! It's not always supposed to be a viable card, it depends on the board. It's also supposed to make your extra turn harder, or else getting the extra turn would be a no-brainer (extra turns are powerful, especially at the end). Mission costs $4 for a single extra turn that you can't buy cards. What's the point of having an extra turn if you can't buy cards? Plenty if you're creative enough; you can trash cards, cycle through your deck, upgrade travellers, gain coffers, gain villagers, gain victory tokens, or gain cards. You might not buy it with big money, or with an engine that can't do much of those things above, but you will buy it in the cases where it is helpful. In this case you get an extra turn where you can only play one terminal. Is that worth it? depends on what your non-terminals can do. I think there's plenty of situations where I would buy a Grand Tour at it's price point (especially since you only buy one of them).
3) There are plenty of engines that could run without villages; scrying pool, throne room variants, villagers, coin of the realm, labs/alchemists, Cantrip decks (like Grand Market), single card engines (minion or governor). Also, like you said this would work with big money.
4) I'm thinking the price would have problems if $4 or less. Opening with it would be very powerful, since in the beginning, nobody has too many terminals and extra turns in the beginning are great when you're trying to build your deck. Then, if you don't need it you could trash it or leave it in your deck if you have to.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 11:09:20 pm by naitchman »

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: May 30, 2019, 11:08:51 pm »

2) The fact that your extra turn is weakened is not as big as you're making it out to be.

Okay, fair point. I just reread your note 1. I guess it hadn't fully registered the first time, nor had the black background; I was reading it as an Action card.

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: May 30, 2019, 11:10:50 pm »

2) The fact that your extra turn is weakened is not as big as you're making it out to be.

Okay, fair point. I just reread your note 1. I guess it hadn't fully registered the first time, nor had the black background; I was reading it as an Action card.

LOL ;D
I kinda see where you're coming from now.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: May 30, 2019, 11:16:22 pm »

Thank you Kudasai for this interesting challenge!

Problem: Players would have to remember whether they Moated Inspector when it was played, or had a Lighthouse in play when Inspector was played, for an entire round. This is because Moat and Lighthouse both say "when another player plays an Attack," and next-turn effects are not playing an Attack; setting them up is.

Swamp Hag and Haunted Woods have the same problem, but they're easier to remember because they affect players on their own turn, rather than waiting a whole round to take effect.

Now that I think about it, I don't know if they'd still be affected by the while-in-play part if they blocked the attacked when it was first played. Hmmmm, this is getting complicated, I might have to scrap this idea...

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: May 30, 2019, 11:22:42 pm »

LOL ;D
I kinda see where you're coming from now.

Yeah, I'm honestly not sure how I missed that. One would think that a reversal of text and background colors wouldn't be that easy to miss. Apparently it's still possible.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: May 31, 2019, 02:31:22 am »

I think that this is a bit too good. It provides the same draw as Enchantress but the Pillage Attack is stronger than that of Enchantress. Drawing one extra card and then having to discard your only village in hand is worse than not drawing an extra card and being able to play a terminal as cantrip.
Only in a well-thinned deck with enough cantrips do the Attacks become similar in strength.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: May 31, 2019, 02:31:47 am »

I think that this is a bit too good. It provides the same draw as Enchantress but the Pillage Attack is stronger than that of Enchantress. Having to discard your only village in hand is worse than being able to play a terminal as cantrip.

Considering pillage is $5 and a one-shot, Inspector would probably be good, if a bit weak, at $5. You could maybe add a vanilla +$1 or something on-play to make up for it a little bit.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: May 31, 2019, 02:43:55 am »

I posted this elsewhere a while ago, and I think it qualifies for this competition:

I considered making it $2D3, but due to its stacking potential I decided to keep it at $3D3.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: May 31, 2019, 03:25:53 am »

Lich
Type: Action - Attack - Duration
Cost: $5

Each other player gains a Curse.
At the start of your next turn: +$3
-
While this is in play, when you gain a card, put that card onto your deck.
For a second I was like, what's so bad about putting gained cards on your deck? Then I realized it topdecks the curses you gain. Nice.  :)
I'm wondering if this should follow sea hag's idea of discarding the top card (or at least giving you the option) so you don't get pinned.

Lich is terminal (unlike Familiar) and has no kind of drawing/sifting (like Witch or Young Witch). It also misses some shuffles and topdecks cards. This makes it a very slow curser. I don't think, it needs the Sea Hag rule. In multiplayer this card could hit more, but the effect is still equal per player.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 10:49:14 am by King Leon »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: May 31, 2019, 04:34:25 am »

Politician
Action/Duration - $4*
+3 Cards
+1 Action
At the start of your next turn, +1 Buy if this card hasn't left play. In your next turn's Clean Up phase, trash this when you discard it from play.
---
While this is in play, this card may be bought for half price (rounded up)

A oneshot but you can buy it back for cheap before it goes. You even get an extra buy to buy it back with. But watch out; your opponents can buy it off you.

Rules clarification:
* You can buy your own Politician from yourself in either turn, or anyone can buy the Politician in between your turns.
* If you somehow "buy" it during clean up, buying it does not count as discarding it from play.
* When you play the card, as far as it's concerned it's going to do something next turn - trash itself during clean up. The card doesn't "know" it might not be able to do that (similar to playing a Caravan when your deck is less than 5 cards). Thus it stays in play (the circular logic surrounding the "if it's in play" +buy is irrelevant).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 11:03:46 am by NoMoreFun »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: May 31, 2019, 04:54:28 am »
+1

Politician
Action/Duration - $4*
+3 Cards
+1 Action
At the start of your next turn, if this card is in play, +1 Buy. Trash this when you discard it from play during Clean Up.
---
This runs into a fun little self-referentiality issue. It only does something on the next turn if it stays in play, and it only stays in play if it does something on the next turn. I would just remove the "if this card is in play" condition, it doesn't seem to do much.

* You can buy your own Politician from yourself in either turn, or anyone can buy the Politician in between your turns. If you somehow "buy" it during clean up, buying it does not count as discarding it from play. Not quite sure how it interacts with Scheme (not a rules expert) but I would want it to trash the card even if you choose to top deck it.
That won't work, but you could just let it trash itself at the start of your turn.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: May 31, 2019, 05:11:23 am »

This has been quite a tough challenge. How do you make yourself vulnerable in a way that doesn't scale badly with more players? And if you do big bonus for you, smaller bonus for them, how do you do that in an interesting way whilst justifying the duration type? (Bishop and Council Room keep coming to mind.)

So the safest solution I can see is self infliction:

This may be too good with silvers.

Abel_K

• Scout
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #2190 on: May 31, 2019, 08:29:13 am »

Clever !!! seems to give very sympathetic developpements ...

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: May 31, 2019, 10:31:22 am »
+1

Lich is nonterminal (unlike Familiar) and has no kind of drawing/sifting (like Witch or Young Witch). It also misses some shuffles and topdecks cards. This makes it a very slow curser. I don't think, it needs the Sea Hag rule. In multiplayer this card could hit more, but the effect is still equal per player.

FTFY.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: May 31, 2019, 10:34:19 am »

I would just remove the "if this card is in play" condition, it doesn't seem to do much.

I had it there to avoid tracking issues for a card that's designed around leaving play. I've removed it but I might put it back if I can figure out a way to avoid the duration rules issue.

Edit: Changed the wording around the trash during clean up as something that's definitely happening (as far as the card is concerned)

The rules comparison would be Caravan when it doesn't have anything to draw on the next turn - it still stays in play even if the thing that should happen next turn might not happen.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 11:07:59 am by NoMoreFun »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: May 31, 2019, 11:31:21 am »
+1

Politician
Action/Duration - $4*
+3 Cards
+1 Action
At the start of your next turn, +1 Buy if this card hasn't left play. In your next turn's Clean Up phase, trash this when you discard it from play.
---

A oneshot but you can buy it back for cheap before it goes. You even get an extra buy to buy it back with. But watch out; your opponents can buy it off you.

Rules clarification:
* You can buy your own Politician from yourself in either turn, or anyone can buy the Politician in between your turns.
* If you somehow "buy" it during clean up, buying it does not count as discarding it from play.
* When you play the card, as far as it's concerned it's going to do something next turn - trash itself during clean up. The card doesn't "know" it might not be able to do that (similar to playing a Caravan when your deck is less than 5 cards). Thus it stays in play (the circular logic surrounding the "if it's in play" +buy is irrelevant).

Even with the clarifications, I don't think it's clear how "buying" the card works. Is buying a card that's in play the same thing as buying a card that's in the supply? As in, during your buy phase, if you have enough money, you can spend that money, gain the card, and put it in your discard pile?

Maybe intentional with a card called "Politician", but this seems to have issues with 3-4 player; because the next person in turn order gets the chance to buy the card, but no other players do.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: May 31, 2019, 11:47:20 am »
+1

I posted this elsewhere a while ago, and I think it qualifies for this competition:

I considered making it $2D3, but due to its stacking potential I decided to keep it at $3D3.

Does "a while ago" mean 6 days ago? I'd call that "recently". Then again, I've heard "the other day" used to mean "two years ago" before. Vague terminology is interesting.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: May 31, 2019, 12:25:26 pm »
+2

Does "a while ago" mean 6 days ago? I'd call that "recently". Then again, I've heard "the other day" used to mean "two years ago" before. Vague terminology is interesting.

I've been meaning to respond to this for some time now, but am only finally now getting around to it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: May 31, 2019, 02:18:09 pm »

6 days ago is "a while" when compared to 10 seconds ago, and is "very recently" when compared to 10 years ago. It all depends on your perspective.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: May 31, 2019, 03:45:54 pm »
+1

You find a mysterious chest. What luck! After carefully opening it, you'll get some Gold, but you may have also triggered a trap!:

Changelog:
v0.1 - not posted (*)
v0.2 - initial

(*) I chose not to post v0.1 - It had +1 Action and you received a Boon instead of $3 at the start of your next turn (cost was only $2). But two things changed my mind quickly:
• This quote, from another thread: "The important thing is, most cards that do Boons either give you some other benefit you’re really playing it for..." http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18109.msg740687#msg740687
• By receiving the 2nd Boon, it guaranteed the other player would get a Hex if they played one, which didn't seem right; you shouldn't know at the time of playing, if you will be hurt by it or not.

Secret History:
It adds more wording, but having you set aside hexes makes sure you're not super hexed in multi player games; in fact, it's better for you, as you now can choose the less harmful Hex.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: May 31, 2019, 04:15:36 pm »
+1

6 days ago is "a while" when compared to 10 seconds ago, and is "very recently" when compared to 10 years ago. It all depends on your perspective.

It’s moderate-sized when compared to time periods of roughly the same length, and a little short when compared to time periods just a little longer.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: May 31, 2019, 07:39:47 pm »
+1

Okay, here's my new entry.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 09:25:46 pm by Commodore Chuckles »
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 327  All

Page created in 1.016 seconds with 21 queries.