Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547026 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #1475 on: February 28, 2019, 07:37:23 am »

By the way, does anyone care about the Herbalist tracking issues with Duration Treasures?

They're already in the official game thanks to Capitalism (and before that Crown)

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 07:46:03 am by NoMoreFun »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: February 28, 2019, 07:46:02 am »

Might compare too favourably with Merchant Guild and the Reaction might be too crazy with sifters. I considered the Tunnel wording but it seemed too weak.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: February 28, 2019, 07:59:56 am »

Here's my Night - Traveller line.
Very great line. I do especially like Wanted Criminal (as a non-terminal gainer/junker it is a bit like a less random Jester) and Underground Market.
The Province with 2 Underground Markets and Wanted Criminal that Fragasnap mentioned can be prevented via making Wanted Criminal only work with non-Victory cards. This would come at the cost of preventing Estate junking though.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: February 28, 2019, 05:53:07 pm »

Wanted Criminal can combo with Underground Market to gain Provinces, and otherwise I think is mostly a wild game accelerator since you can use it to pile multiplayer games out super easily.

I tried to think of a good way to word underground Market so you can only have one in play at a time, but I decided it will be hard enough to get two into play plus have a Wanted Criminal in hand with a Province that I'd just leave it.

I don't mind Vagabond helping the traveller line go faster, in fact I wanted that. Underground Market wont be super great if you only have it for a couple turns.  I'm okay with this line going a bit faster than other lines.  These being night cards and not drawing makes it slower though, so it might end up close to the same as the peasant line. 

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: February 28, 2019, 05:54:23 pm »

Might compare too favourably with Merchant Guild and the Reaction might be too crazy with sifters. I considered the Tunnel wording but it seemed too weak.

So this includes discarding it during cleanup if you didn't play it?

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: February 28, 2019, 06:23:06 pm »

So this includes discarding it during cleanup if you didn't play it?
Yes.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: March 02, 2019, 07:33:26 pm »

Is judging happening soon?
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: March 02, 2019, 10:02:57 pm »
+1

Judgement day arriveth in 24 hours.

MattLee

• Spy
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: March 03, 2019, 10:31:10 am »

EDIT- my original idea didn't work as intended, so I'm using this instead.

Old version:
$4 - Night Vendor
Treasure - Night
If its your Night phase, +1 Buy, +$3 and you may buy cards this Night phase. Otherwise, +$1
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 10:34:20 pm by MattLee »

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: March 03, 2019, 11:04:50 am »

Does your unspent money stick around into your night phase? If so, this doesn't work at all.

A Gold+ for $4. The only disadvantage is missing interaction with cards like Crown, Counterfeit, Bank, Black Market, Venture, Storyteller and Palace (but also Noble Brigand and Bandit’s Fort ...) Am I missing something? You can play your Treasure cards in your Buy phase, but you don't have to use the $, so it is still available in your Night Phase.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 11:06:03 am by King Leon »

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +444
    • View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: March 03, 2019, 04:01:00 pm »
+2

Look, somebody had to use this combo.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: March 03, 2019, 05:05:33 pm »
+1

Look, somebody had to use this combo

People keep doing this joke.  I can't help but feel flattered.

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: March 03, 2019, 05:44:59 pm »
+6

I have sigs off.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: March 03, 2019, 10:24:36 pm »
+1

Judgment day is come!

So, the top decking on play makes this really, really bad. You’re effectively reducing your next handsize by 1 each time you play a copy of this. The Reaction part lets you exchange $0 junk for more copies of it, but it’s unlikely you’d ever want more than 1 of these because of the aforementioned problem. The Night and Reaction parts also don’t really have anything to do with each other.

This is one of those fan alt-VP cards whose value swings wildly depending on what other cards are on the board. If this is the only Night card, then it’s hardly ever worth getting. If there’s even one other Night pile, though, suddenly a degenerate rush strategy starts looking like the best option. I’m not really excited by the idea overall.

This was an early favorite of mine. The deck-discarding is clever as it makes choosing an Action card easier while adding the disadvantage of missing the shuffle. That said, being able to choose any Action card to play for free next turn definitely seems strong. Though it gets a lot worse if you're drawing your whole deck, since it won't find an Action card to play but will still have to remain out because of the next turn +Buy. Very nice design overall.

I assume the Project-Landmark thing is a typo.

Wasteland, Action-Victory-Looter, 4$
Gain a Ruins and play it three times.
---
Worth 1 VP per 2 differently named cards costing 0$ in your deck (round down).

KCing the Ruins looks fun. I guess my main problem with this is that it could get brokenly good if there's an easy way to fill your deck with Coppers.

So, it's like a Cathedral you can turn off. Overall, looks fun, and it's a nice way to make a "return to your hand" Duration work.

Hmmmm, the idea of a Treasure-Traveller is funny thematically. How does a Treasure "mature" the way a Traveller does?

As for the cards themselves, they look fine, but I'm afraid they don't excite me much. They don't react with each other at all except for Promise. Promissory Note looks cool but probably poses tracking issues. It would be better as a Duration, but I can see why you didn't do that as it's always infuriating when your Travellers miss the shuffle.

(To be continued...)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 10:33:47 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: March 03, 2019, 11:07:51 pm »
+2

---

KCing the Ruins looks fun. I guess my main problem with this is that it could get brokenly good if there's an easy way to fill your deck with Coppers.
It looks like you missed the "differently named" part.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: March 03, 2019, 11:58:56 pm »
+1

...Continued!

---

It looks like you missed the "differently named" part.

Whoops, you're right. Hmmmm, now it seems a bit too similar to Fairgrounds...

Lost Silver
cost $2
Reaction - Reserve

When you gain a card, you may put this on your Tavern mat from your hand.
--------
At the start of your buy phase, you may discard this from your Tavern mat, to gain a Silver to your hand.

I'm going to assume that this is majiponi's official entry. So it's a pure Reaction - Reserve, which is interesting I guess. Gaining Silver is normally very weak but gaining it to your hand is much better. And then getting to wait until the exact moment you want it is even better than that. I assume if you have one on your mat and some in your hand, you can trigger a chain reaction and gain a bunch of Silvers? That could be neat.

Eek, the double line and the tiny text. Mostly, this is a less interesting Transmogrify. The most fun part of Transmogrify is gaining the card to your hand. The Reaction part has some synergy with the rest, but still feels a bit tacked on.

You can call this in your Night phase, but I'm not sure there's enough reason that you have to play it in your Night phase. Overall, except in the rare case of draw-up-to-X this just feels like a more awkward Coin of the Realm.

The Cursing condition is interesting, although it's ultimately random which probably puts a damper on the fun. A Treasure - Attack - Doom is also very close to something we already have (Idol).

As has been pointed out, this is absolutely useless in the absence of trashing. Other than that, it looks interesting, and kudos having a card with 3 types, each of which has not appeared with the other.

Racecourse - Project Landmark, $5 cost.
At the start of your turn, you may discard a Treasure for +1 Villager.
-
When scoring,
-1VP per card you have with a + Action amount in its text.

I'm not sure if this dual-type would ever exist in the game, or if Donald would just have the Landmark part be an "in games using this" clause. Regardless, this looks neat.

Ring, Treasure - Doom, 5$
2$
You may discard a card to put this onto your deck.
---
When you gain this, each player (including you) receives the next Hex.

The when-gain seems rather pointless as it happens to everyone. I also don't know why you'd ever want to put it on your deck, except maybe with Venture.

Portage, Night - Reserve, $4
Put this on your Tavern mat.
   -------------------------
At the start of your buy phase, you
may call this for +1 Buy, +$1, and
Action cards cost $1 less, but not
less than $0.

Not much to say about this one, but it's cool and I like it.

This looks okay, maybe a bit too similar to Gear and Haven. You can maybe do some draw-up-to-X tricks by Dividending a Dividends, but that depends heavily on what's in your next starting hand.

Evil Wizard
Cost:
Types: Action-Attack-Looter-Doom

Choose one: +2 Cards or +. Reveal and discard the next Hex. Each other player chooses one: Receive the revealed Hex or gain a Ruins.

I like this, but I think I would have the bonus be +3 Cards instead, because you'll pretty much always choose +2 Cards over +$2.

Definitely another one of my favorites; the outlaw theme is super cool. It's been pointed out, though, that Wanted Criminal and Underground Market have a potentially very broken synergy, though getting 2 Underground Markets would probably take a long time.

I like the Reaction on this a lot. It's unique, and it effectively means you can "play" it without actually playing it, which matters if you're doing Double Tactician or some other deck type that discards Nights before it can play them.

Simple, but a nice way to make a Treasure - Night work. I guess I'm not completely sold on the idea that it has to be a Night though, as you wouldn't take the Coffer option anyway if you were planning on spending it this turn.

These are cool ways to combine Shelter with new types. My main complaint is that Public House doesn't feel like it has enough reason to be a Night.

---------------------------

Thanks for all your submissions!

Short list: Anchor by NoMoreFun, Truffle Pig by Tejayes, Portage by Lurker, Night-Travellers by Chappy7, Fairies by Segura, Shelters by Hypercube.

Winner: Fairies by Segura

Runner-up: Anchor by NoMoreFun
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 12:01:56 am by Commodore Chuckles »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: March 04, 2019, 02:17:13 am »
+5

Thanks a lot, Chuckles!

Contest #21: Design a card with the Gathering type or something similar.
It could also be something that amasses Coffers or Villagers or a landscape card.
It should feature the idea of amassing a common resource that can be grabbed by everybody, i.e. something like Sinister Plot (private resource) or Trade Route (tokens just representing the value of a variable) would not fit.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread #21: shared pool of collectible tokens
« Reply #1492 on: March 04, 2019, 06:36:40 am »
+2

Gets tokens passively at a hopefully sensible rate, but each player gets only one chance to take them. They must time that chance well. The tokens split in half because a big pile of Coffers has issues. Maybe too cheap?

Edit: added +buy and cost to add token down to $4 or more (from $5), to be a bit more competitive earlier.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 04:31:21 am by Aquila »

Lurker

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lurker
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: March 04, 2019, 10:11:00 am »

Tulip, Action - Victory, $4
Return this to the Supply. Take
the Coffers from the Tulip
Supply pile.
Worth 1VP per Tulip in the
Supply.
When you gain this, add 2
Coffers
to the Tulip Supply pile.

I don't love the double line, but this should be interesting to play around. The first one is worth 7 (11 in 3+ player), the second 5, etc. for each player, but you usually don't want more than half the pile. If the other person gets a bunch you probably want some too, and hey they only cost $4. You can always return some if the Tulip market gets too saturated. You might be able to sell them for a lot!

A note on Trade route - the Trade route token is the odd token. When you gain the first one you remove "that" token and then from then on it should be clear because the coffers all come in 2s.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: March 04, 2019, 10:59:16 am »
+3

Ok, this took some work. The idea is, that you can collect gems, but each player has a different mat for that. You can only fill one column or one row each time, you buy this event and if you have leftover gems, they go to the next player.

The number of available gems is limited by 6 emeralds, 8 diamonds and 11 rubies per player. Dual-type cards like Harem or Mill add two gems, of course.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 12:22:56 pm by King Leon »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: March 04, 2019, 01:09:00 pm »

I personally thought that Ring's ability could be quite useful, but I'll admit that it stinks at 5$. You probably want to topdeck Silvers to get to 5$, not after you did. About the self-hexing, most Hexes won't actually hit you in your buy phase, so you usually come out on top. It would still keep it from being strictly better than Silver at 4$, so that's the cost I should have given... My original idea had you reveal two Hexes and choose one for you and one for the other players, but given the timing issue with Hexes, I felt that was going too far.

Anyhow, congrats to segura!

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: March 04, 2019, 02:00:49 pm »

Ok, this took some work. The idea is, that you can collect gems, but each player has a different mat for that. You can only fill one column or one row each time, you buy this event and if you have leftover gems, they go to the next player.
I think you need to think about balancing this some more. Currently you have one mat where 3 things can be activated before greening (the first), which is way way stronger than the others (where there are 1 or 0 of such boons). Generally for the non-VP bonuses it's a problem if they require green gems because that means that you can only activate them in the late game when they are probably not that useful anymore.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: March 04, 2019, 03:38:03 pm »

The number of available gems is limited by 6 emeralds, 8 diamonds and 11 rubies per player. Dual-type cards like Harem or Mill add two gems, of course.
:)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 03:39:39 pm by herw »

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: March 04, 2019, 04:23:00 pm »

Salesman
Cost:
Types: Action-Reaction-Gathering

+1 Card
+1 Villager
Take the Coffers from this pile.
---------------------------------
When (edit: you or) another player takes Villagers, you may set this aside from your hand, to put 1 Coffers on this pile. Return this to your hand after the resolution of the card that caused Villagers to be taken.

I see this as a sort of Peddler+, but it rewards people who pay more attention to the opponents deck. Not sure if it's good or not, but I liked the idea. I had to jump over some hurdles trying to avoid the loophole created by being able to reveal a card any number of times in response to one event.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 11:45:10 am by hhelibebcnofnena »
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: March 04, 2019, 06:19:49 pm »

I think you need to think about balancing this some more. Currently you have one mat where 3 things can be activated before greening (the first), which is way way stronger than the others (where there are 1 or 0 of such boons). Generally for the non-VP bonuses it's a problem if they require green gems because that means that you can only activate them in the late game when they are probably not that useful anymore.

This is actually well balanced. The player with mat 1 has difficulties to get the Coffers and often gains the bonus Gold too late. Mat 2, on the other hand, has early access to Coffers, but usually does not get the +Buy bonus early. Mat 3 and 4 are designed to be rivals, als they share many gem combinations. While mat 3 can also well played for columns, which makes it more flexible, mat 4 is slightly stronger in the endgame.

The +Buy bonus makes it easy for you to buy an Estate, which comes with a green gem and then buy Gem Mining to grab that emerald. All options (besides of the Gold, maybe) are designed to be even useful in the endgame. You can gain a Duchy as the $5 card and Coffers can make the difference from a $7 hand to an Estate. I feel, that 5 emeralds are not difficult enough.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 06:47:55 pm by King Leon »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 21 queries.