Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546404 times)

MattLee

• Spy
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #1250 on: February 01, 2019, 12:48:03 am »

The bit about gaining Dutchies is there to help you get VP while trying to empty 3 piles.

Night - $3

+ 1 Coffers
Choose one: Trash a card you have in play, or trash an action from the supply.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 08:54:32 pm by MattLee »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: February 01, 2019, 01:17:25 am »
+1

The problem with trashers like Vigilante or Tax Collector on top is that I doubt the top 5 cards would run out on a regular basis.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: February 01, 2019, 08:45:54 am »
+3

EDIT: After some concerns that Butlers might not run out enough, I have now made it so that it can self-gain when it whiffs.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 01:39:24 pm by faust »

Shard of Honor

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: Shard of Honor
  • Respect: +199
    • View Profile
    • Fan Card Creator
« Reply #1253 on: February 01, 2019, 11:01:46 am »
+1

Bear/Bull
This pile starts the game with 5 copies of Bear on top, then 5 copies of Bull. Only the top card of the pile can be gained or bought.

Bull
Type: Night
Cost: $3
+2 Actions
Return to your Action Phase.

Bear
Type: Action
Cost: $4
+1 Buy
Draw until you have 6 cards in hand.

So similar to the up and downs of the stock market, it's back and forth in your turn?
Nice thematic!

Minor thing: The names in your text and pictures do not match.
You might want to check out my own fan-card creations, built with this.

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: February 01, 2019, 12:18:23 pm »

Bear/Bull
This pile starts the game with 5 copies of Bear on top, then 5 copies of Bull. Only the top card of the pile can be gained or bought.

Bull
Type: Night
Cost: $3
+2 Actions
Return to your Action Phase.

Bear
Type: Action
+1 Buy
Draw until you have 6 cards in hand.

hmm, i don't like jumping back into action phase. I think an important basic rule is, that there is a strict order of phases (in most cases). A horror would be to have only night cards and treasure and an endless turn.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 12:20:24 pm by herw »

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: February 01, 2019, 06:22:31 pm »

Minor thing: The names in your text and pictures do not match.
Thank you. I fixed it.

hmm, i don't like jumping back into action phase. I think an important basic rule is, that there is a strict order of phases (in most cases). A horror would be to have only night cards and treasure and an endless turn.
This is nearly impossible, because the Night Phase happens before clean-up and only some weird stuff like Bonfire can move cards, you have already in play.

Secret History

Without proper support, Bear is a rather weak card. Sure, it can be useful with strong terminals like Council Room, Hunting Grounds or Tragic Hero as it can recover from terminal collision and it even allows you to draw cards, you have bought in this turn. There are only five Bears, they are not King's Courtable, Crownable or Band-of-Misfittable and as the economy goes on, you will draw more and more Victory cards. The Bonfire + Lurker combo does not work, because Bear is no Action card. Maybe a loophole with Graverobber is possible, but extremely unlikely. Before your investment pays out, you have to buy a few Bears. If no one other does, this can even ruin your deck. But when it starts to boom, you will be happy about each Bear you have invested in. That's very like the real stock market!

Bull is just Watchtower with +Buy. In a bullish market you want to buy stuff, with the money you worked hard for in the bearish market. The difference between $3 and $4 is not much, but a +Buy is so strong, that Bear is priced well, without Watchtower’s Reaction. I actually had „You may discard a card“, but this was to strong in comparison with Jack-of-all-Trades. I am very happy with this pair of cards.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 06:29:20 pm by King Leon »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: February 01, 2019, 06:47:27 pm »
+2

Night Market
Night - $2
Choose one: +1 Coffers; or gain a card onto your deck costing less than a card you gained this turn

Golden Goose
Action - $7
Gain a Gold to your hand

« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 08:45:58 pm by NoMoreFun »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: February 01, 2019, 07:06:23 pm »
+2

Night Market
Night - $2
Gain a card onto your deck costing less than a card you gained this turn

Golden Goose
Action - $7
Gain a Gold to your hand

Neat idea, but I'm wondering how often the Night Markets would actually empty. There's only so many cheap cards you want usually.

And I think Golden Goose should be $6. Maybe that makes it too obvious of a choice over Gold itself, but $7 feels too expense...

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: February 01, 2019, 07:26:00 pm »

Night Market
Night - $2
Gain a card onto your deck costing less than a card you gained this turn

Golden Goose
Action - $7
Gain a Gold to your hand

Neat idea, but I'm wondering how often the Night Markets would actually empty. There's only so many cheap cards you want usually.

And I think Golden Goose should be $6. Maybe that makes it too obvious of a choice over Gold itself, but $7 feels too expense...

I changed Night Market to make it more universally appealing.

Golden Goose is $7 to interact with Night Market - pick one up when you gain a Province, and gain a Gold or other $6 when you buy the Golden Goose. If it's too weak for $7 I'll buff it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 11:58:48 pm by NoMoreFun »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: February 01, 2019, 11:38:31 pm »

« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 11:53:27 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: February 02, 2019, 02:22:17 am »

Those cards seem to work against each other. One of them gets you villagers, then the other draws less actions than, say, a Smithy would. I would rather have a smithy than a ghost hunter in any deck with haunted house, anyway.

I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: February 02, 2019, 03:34:46 am »

Those cards seem to work against each other. One of them gets you villagers, then the other draws less actions than, say, a Smithy would. I would rather have a smithy than a ghost hunter in any deck with haunted house, anyway.

Agreed. Ghost Hunter could cost $3.

I'm not even sure all the Haunted Houses would get bought out as even a single Haunted House has a decent chance of providing you all the Villagers you'll need for your engine. I usually have Villagers left over in Acting Troupe and Recruiter games.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: February 02, 2019, 08:52:54 am »
+1

Dream
Types: Night
Cost: $2
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a number of Actions equal to the number of Night cards you have in play. Put the Actions on top of your deck in any order, the revealed Night cards into your hand, and discard the rest.
Interpreter
Types: Action
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the revealed Night cards into your hand and the rest back in any order. Reveal any number of Night cards from your hand. +1 Card per card revealed.

Dream up a longer Night phase with premonitions of your future turn. Stronger on boards with no trashing and non-Looter junking.
Interpret to scout out those Night cards and leverage what are normally stop cards into your draw engine. Even with fewer Night cards, the scouting lets you choose the card you'll draw (I mean, get 2 Dreams at least). Watch out for spammable Night cards: Interpreter will get pretty crazy around Den of Sin and Ghost Town.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: February 02, 2019, 09:19:59 am »

They do have synergy: Ghost Hunter is good at drawing Haunted Houses (because they aren't Actions) and then it can put stuff in your discard pile for Haunted House to get Villagers from. Is there an explicit anti-synergy here besides "they seem weak"?

I'm not even sure all the Haunted Houses would get bought out as even a single Haunted House has a decent chance of providing you all the Villagers you'll need for your engine. I usually have Villagers left over in Acting Troupe and Recruiter games.

Is it possible you misread it? It says differently-named cards; in the beginning that will usually get you 1 or 2 Villagers per play.

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: February 02, 2019, 01:30:52 pm »
+1

They do have synergy: Ghost Hunter is good at drawing Haunted Houses (because they aren't Actions) and then it can put stuff in your discard pile for Haunted House to get Villagers from. Is there an explicit anti-synergy here besides "they seem weak"?

Is it possible you misread it? It says differently-named cards; in the beginning that will usually get you 1 or 2 Villagers per play.

You're almost guaranteed to get at least 1 villager, and if you have any resemblance of a discard pile, you'll get 3 more. Not much later in the game it becomes a cheaper non-terminal Acting Troupe that doesn't trash itself.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: February 02, 2019, 10:36:42 pm »
+2

Here's my submission this week: Campfire and Travelling Shop.  Campfire can topdeck a couple cards from your discard pile for next turn, including things you just bought or gained.  And it comes with a free $4 when you buy it--this can make them an autobuy sometimes (especially in the opening), however this helps uncover the bottom half of the pile.  [Side note: I've realized that a lot of pure non-duration Night cards aren't often super appealing in bunches (think Night Watchman, Monastery, Devil's Workshop, Exorcist), so making one the top card of a split pile is quite tricky.] 

Travelling Shop features some light terminal draw alongside a flexible discard for benefit--you can gain a copy of a dead action in your hand, you can do a Dismantle impression by discarding Golds, and you can discard Provinces to gain just about anything that isn't green.  Obviously Travelling Shop prefers discarding expensive cards, which you'll hopefully have some of by the time it's uncovered, and Campfire can conveniently topdeck the cards Travelling Shop gains. 

MattLee

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: February 03, 2019, 12:44:35 am »

The problem with trashers like Vigilante or Tax Collector on top is that I doubt the top 5 cards would run out on a regular basis.

That's a good point. I want to keep the essence of the card, but have it worth buying even if your ultimate goal isn't emptying the pile. Thoughts?

Tax Collector
Night - $4
Choose two: +2 Coffers, or trash a card you have in play, or trash an action from the supply.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: February 03, 2019, 12:51:17 am »
+1

That's a good point. I want to keep the essence of the card, but have it worth buying even if your ultimate goal isn't emptying the pile. Thoughts?

Tax Collector
Night - $4
Choose two: +2 Coffers, or trash a card you have in play, or trash an action from the supply.

That seems very powerful. Nonterminal +2 coffers and trashing (albeit only cards in play) for $4? Compared to priest, I think this is a little too powerful. I'd make it just +1 coffers.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: February 03, 2019, 02:43:01 am »
+1

Tax Collector
Night - $4

That seems very powerful. Nonterminal +2 coffers and trashing (albeit only cards in play) for $4? Compared to priest, I think this is a little too powerful. I'd make it just +1 coffers.
Well, the coffers come after your buy phase, so you can't use them the same turn. That reduces the value a bit. I think it's fine.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: February 04, 2019, 01:08:53 am »

Do you think the pile would empty if the Locksmith was on top? That seems odd since you usually want trashers before you want draw, but maybe you'd want a Locksmith early. 

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: February 04, 2019, 01:17:54 am »

Do you think the pile would empty if the Locksmith was on top? That seems odd since you usually want trashers before you want draw, but maybe you'd want a Locksmith early.
I think Locksmiths are more likely to run out, but I doubt that you're going to want to get more trashers by the time they are gone.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: February 04, 2019, 07:46:52 am »
+2

Dynamite Cost: $3 - Type: Night
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $1 more than it.
Dwarf Cost: $4 - Type: Action
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck, put all Night cards in your hand and discard the rest.
When you trash this, gain a Gold.

Edit: Removed the "This is gained to your hand" clause of Dynamite.
I feel like the loss of "gained to hand" made Dynamite much more balanced, but also completely lost the fun "chain reaction" theme. Is there some way that Dynamite could interact with each other other than the obvious Dynamite, Dynamites?
Dwarf is super weak, but considering it is built to combo with Dynamite and the fact that Dynamite will pretty much always be relevant since it can trash Estates for benefit, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Butler
If your discard pile is empty, gain a card onto your deck costing up to $4. Otherwise, gain a Silver onto your deck.
Mansion
+1 Action. Reveal the top 2 cards of your deck. Play a revealed Night or Treasure. Play a revealed Action. Put the rest on top of your deck.
Silver-flooding is usually pretty bad and makes it all the more likely that Butler becomes its worse effect. The Armory effect is great at its cost, but even then I can't imagine players digging enough of them out to ever get to Mansions.

Haunted House
Reveal the contents of your discard pile. +1 Villager for each differently-named card revealed.
Ghost Hunter
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Put a revealed non-Action card into your hand, then discard any of the others and put the rest back in any order.
Unless there is heavy trashing available, Ghost Hunter is probably way better than Smithy because of all the cycling 5 cards deep. That's totally fine though since it's under Haunted House and there are still reasons one would rather have Smithy.

Haunted House is way too good though. Even if it gave Villagers for differently named Actions it would still often be better than Acting Troupe (except around heavy trashing when it's hard to keep a discard pile around).
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Shard of Honor

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: Shard of Honor
  • Respect: +199
    • View Profile
    • Fan Card Creator
« Reply #1272 on: February 04, 2019, 08:40:14 am »
+1

Dynamite Cost: $3 - Type: Night
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $1 more than it.
Dwarf Cost: $4 - Type: Action
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck, put all Night cards in your hand and discard the rest.
When you trash this, gain a Gold.
Edit: Removed the "This is gained to your hand" clause of Dynamite.

I feel like the loss of "gained to hand" made Dynamite much more balanced, but also completely lost the fun "chain reaction" theme. Is there some way that Dynamite could interact with each other other than the obvious Dynamite, Dynamites?
Dwarf is super weak, but considering it is built to combo with Dynamite and the fact that Dynamite will pretty much always be relevant since it can trash Estates for benefit, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Yeah, those Dwarves are basically only there to get trashed  ;D

I am also kind of sad on the loss of the chain reaction theme. But as there are only 5 five cards, I think it is better as it is. Especially considering games with 3 players or more.
Maybe I'll do the original version of Dynamite again as a single kingdom pile - unfortunately that idea is not suitable for this contest challenge.
You might want to check out my own fan-card creations, built with this.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: February 04, 2019, 09:11:32 pm »

Okay, so the consensus seems to be that Haunted House should be changed. Is this better?

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 09:14:36 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: February 05, 2019, 03:17:21 am »

24 hours minus a few minutes left.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.