Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547065 times)

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #1125 on: January 14, 2019, 11:16:07 am »
+1

No idea, how well this is going to work. Just giving it a try.

It's a fun idea, but I don't think I'd ever buy it since people can discard estates for points. I feel like it should punish opponents for discarding victory cards

As written, don't the VP chips and coffers come to the active player?

Right, only the Silver goes to the attacked player.

The idea was to give the other player(s) a choice if they help you or not. Silver can be good for them but as engines are often built around virtual money sources, too much silver might be even functioning as junk there.

For other card types as Curses and Night cards, it's simply a discard attack.

My bad, that makes a lot more sense.  I like it. 

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: January 14, 2019, 11:23:47 am »

Really loving these submissions so far. I am planning to do judging in 8-ish hours, so get your submissions in! (There's a chance it might have to be more like 24 hours from now depending on how things shake out for me at work today.)
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: January 14, 2019, 01:11:42 pm »
+4

All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: January 14, 2019, 06:13:17 pm »

Kinda miffed that this one is so similar to mine and it already has more upvotes...

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: January 14, 2019, 06:25:29 pm »

Kinda miffed that this one is so similar to mine and it already has more upvotes...

I liked it more because with yours, you can only trash stuff that you played. That means either 1. there will be good stuff in the trash to gain or you just trash one copper and gain nothing and 2. if you are playing multiplayer, this will hit players 3 and 4 much more than player 2, who can just gain what you trashed. (Unless you trash a copper.  Then it could hurt player 1 without hurting players 2 and 3 at all)

I still thought it was creative though
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 06:45:14 pm by Chappy7 »

Shard of Honor

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: Shard of Honor
  • Respect: +199
    • View Profile
    • Fan Card Creator
« Reply #1130 on: January 14, 2019, 06:45:44 pm »
+1

I liked it more because with yours, you can only trash stuff that you played. That means 1. there will be good stuff in the trash to gain or you just trash one copper and gain nothing and 2. if you are playing multiplayer, this will hit players 3 and 4 much more than player 2, who can just gain what you trashed.

Commodore Chuckles Pawnbroker says "a copy of a card in the trash".
I understood it such, that the card is gained from the supply, too.
So the only multiplayer implication is that the pile could be already empty.

I like both ideas, but the dark acolyte more because its beautiful simplicity as an attack version of the original remodel.
You might want to check out my own fan-card creations, built with this.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: January 14, 2019, 08:42:42 pm »
+5

Thanks to everyone who submitted! There were a lot of interesting entrants in a category that was pushing at one of the oft-criticized parts of Dominion - low interaction. Good stuff.

Food Eating Contest: Unless I'm missing something here, you would always make the opponent discard their card? Unless the winning card is the only one that's discarded, and you as the active player choose regardless. I feel like there is a really interesting nugget of an idea here, with "contests" and victory tokens as prizes, but this card isn't polished yet.

Rising Tide: I LOVE THIS NAME! A rising tide can raise all ships, but it can also flood your house. Very cool implications there. I can't really think of a card that compares to this, it's a *super* interesting concept of ebb and flow hand-management. However, I think it is too good for $4. With enough of these, some enablers, and some smart hand management, you can make everyone including yourself draw to 6 or more, then discard down to 3 later, pretty consistently. Maybe making the attack portion only happen once per turn, but even that can be abused. If there was any engine potential on the board, I see myself choosing this over militia every time. But there is something here, I would love to see this card iterated or tested.

Whirlwind: So I technically only wanted cards but I'll give some thoughts here too. :) I love the theme of this one as well, it's a turbulent action that leaves things disheveled, but it isn't a major interruption to the game. This seems really strong, I see myself trashing junk early game and cannibalizing good stuff late game all the time. But $1 just might be the right cost to pay for the privilege of doing all that. This seems really fun.

Landlord: I like this twist on the discarding attack. Discard one at max, if it's a victory card you get a nice bonus. That's cool. I'm slightly concerned that next to Militia, +2 Coffers is not strong enough when compared to $2 straight up. I am not the most experienced with coffers to make this judgement, but it seems to me like this falls on the weak side and needs a bonus. Maybe if they discard a victory card you also draw a card?

Night-Shift Counting House: This is such a weird-ass card and I love it! Another one where there are very few cards out there for me to compare it to. Scheme, but for your opponents? I love the implication of the frustrating bureaucratic red tape this Counting House puts the opponents though each turn, but it provides a real service if they can thin. This might end up actually being TOO good for opponents on a lot of boards, but if there's a real engine present on the board I'm not sure the NS Counting House would be the correct choice anyway.

Jailer: Another terrific and unique card. Their best card gets a time-out! Maybe misses the shuffle. Or gives them a really good turn - don't choose wrong. And just like it could give them a pretty great hand the turn after, yours is going to be great to with that delayed +3 cards. This is clean, thematic, and diving into interesting new design space. Great job.

Cardsharp: This is an interesting way to torture the opponent with a really nasty choice. Especially difficult if they know you *could* have more Cardsharps on the way on your turn. A part of me is inclined to say it's too powerful, because if they don't discard, it's only slightly worse than Mountebank. But if they've got junk anyway, they can mitigate the attack. If they've been junked a lot, they can really get a bonus. This card is funky to get my head around, but I think in a good way. The big downside to all this is that I could see it making games very sloggy - especially for newer players who might sacrifice practically their whole turn for that pretty shiny gold.

Cardinal: Feels strong. Slightly weaker on boards with shelters or ruinses or other cheap stuff you don't mind getting rid of. This also does get way weaker after curses run, as opponents can replace that copper with the next card in their deck. Overall, this would intimidate me on the table but I could see the balance working out. Solid card, and definitely fits the challenge well.

Hunter: This is so interesting and interactive. It makes a whole minigame of the pile! That makes it a little hard for me to envision exactly how it would play out, but I love every part of it so I'm guessing that the sum of those parts will be a very cool card. For my own clarification, are we putting literal victory tokens on the pile, and you can gain victory tokens by trashing the Hunter? (If so, that's really cool thematically too - collecting your prize.)

Criminal's Vault: This is simple and great, seems balanced, and is really interactive. I'm almost surprised that mandatory vaulting isn't already an attack in Dominion, it makes so much sense! Great design.

Vagabond: This feels pretty right on at $3. Not stackable, but very likely to either give you a nice bonus or harm the enemy decently. Can't build a deck around it, but as a night card it's not getting in the way of much either. It's a unique mini-payload option and I like it.

Pawnbroker: I like upgrading cards from play, I like upgrading cards from the trash, but I think the combination here does unfortunately make this pretty imbalanced beyond 2P. 2P is my jam tho so I'll look past it for now - I'd love to see this card in action. I can see really fun and punishing engines that involve turning my outdated engine components into tiny crises for my opponent to deal with.

Blackmailer: Another really interesting concept that creates a mini-game. I love these! Really interesting stuff happens as you acquire more of the pile too. If you are the only one with blackmailers, you can mark everything, and then as you stack these on your turn, your opponents are gonna have to discard a lot of actions. I suppose even if you're competing with others, this card is dangerous if the pile is gone and anyone is playing them in an engine.

Gallows: This is really good attack/interaction, but it doesn't feel right on a village to me. And having it cost exactly the same as Village doesn't feel quite right either, though it probably is technically the right cost. Maybe if the top-half was somehow more defensive against the bottom half I'd like it better.

Dark Acolyte: This is so intriguing because it is so obviously a remodel variant but it seems like it would play so differently. This card seems like it could either make games really slow and sloggy or sooo fast and aggressive, and I don't know what the right play would be more often. It doesn't feel quite right to have the same cost as remodel to me, but I recognize that it probably is correct. I'd be very interested to playtest this card, but I worry it would outclass remodel too much if they appeared together.

And the winner is.........JAILER! By Aquila! This card is straightforward but opens up really interesting strategic play, using an attack that's a little bit different than anything else we have out there.

Runners Up:
Rising Tide
Night-Shift Counting House
Hunter
Criminal's Vault
Dark Acolyte

Thanks again to everyone who submitted. I know this wasn't the easiest challenge but you all covered such interesting design space!

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: January 14, 2019, 08:49:52 pm »
+2

Tbh I like the first half of Pawnbroker (upgrading from play) better but the second half of Dark Acolyte (opponents simply gaining a copy of the trashed card) better. While both of your cards would be very interesting to playtest, I would also be very interested in seeing the results of the combined top and bottom halves.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: January 15, 2019, 01:04:32 am »
+1

There were a lot of interesting cards in this contest, so I was looking back at them while reading your comments and noticed you said Cardsharp might be too strong. It can't be too strong for $4 because it's almost strictly worse than Militia (unless you consider gaining silver to be an attack). Opponents always have the choice of discarding down to three and gaining a silver.

I never liked Wild Hunt, but I think I like Hunter. It's pretty uncommon to be able to 'fix' a disliked official card by adding an attack... Note, the attack will probably also work like Vault much of the time.

I think my favorites (besides my own) are Criminal's Vault and Dark Acolyte.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 01:11:35 am by LibraryAdventurer »

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: January 15, 2019, 01:23:12 am »

[...]
And the winner is.........JAILER! By Aquila! This card is straightforward but opens up really interesting strategic play, using an attack that's a little bit different than anything else we have out there.
[...]
congratulation
It is difficult to translate Jailer into german, because there is already Kerkermeister (Torturer) and Gefängniswärter is too boring and Scharfrichter with terrible history.

perhaps VOGT ? which sounds similar in different languages. In english there is no parallel, perhaps BAILIFF?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 01:45:54 am by herw »

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: January 15, 2019, 01:49:52 am »

I liked it more because with yours, you can only trash stuff that you played. That means 1. there will be good stuff in the trash to gain or you just trash one copper and gain nothing and 2. if you are playing multiplayer, this will hit players 3 and 4 much more than player 2, who can just gain what you trashed.

Commodore Chuckles Pawnbroker says "a copy of a card in the trash".
I understood it such, that the card is gained from the supply, too.
So the only multiplayer implication is that the pile could be already empty.

I like both ideas, but the dark acolyte more because its beautiful simplicity as an attack version of the original remodel.

You're right....my bad again.  That's much better that way.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: January 15, 2019, 03:04:49 am »
+2

You certainly had it hard to judge here, Dsell. Thanks!

congratulation
It is difficult to translate Jailer into german, because there is already Kerkermeister (Torturer) and Gefängniswärter is too boring and Scharfrichter with terrible history.

perhaps VOGT ? which sounds similar in different languages. In english there is no parallel, perhaps BAILIFF?
Flicking open my English-German dictionary I see that the word jail in English is the same as the traditional English way to spell the word, "gaol". So I could've named it "gaoler". Does that help?

Contest #15: involve Duchies.
It can be anything you like, just have your design feature Duchies somehow.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 02:52:14 am by Aquila »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: January 15, 2019, 03:41:18 am »

[...]
[...]
congratulation

Well, here you see what the German translaters of Dominion have to deal with. Honestly though, translating Torturer to the German equivalent of Jailer because they wanted to be all nice and family friendly is something they brought onto themselves. I don't see why the English card should change because of this. There are so many languages out there, you can't really make sure none used something similar before. I think Gefängniswärter is perfectly fine.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: January 15, 2019, 03:44:54 am »

About Landlord, fair point. Should have stuck with +3 Cards I guess.

Congrats, Aquila. I like your new challenge!

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: January 15, 2019, 05:31:14 am »

Well, here you see what the German translaters of Dominion have to deal with. Honestly though, translating Torturer to the German equivalent of Jailer because they wanted to be all nice and family friendly is something they brought onto themselves. I don't see why the English card should change because of this. There are so many languages out there, you can't really make sure none used something similar before. I think Gefängniswärter is perfectly fine.
ok - now it's difficult to find a nice picture, not too much fantasy but middle age.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: January 15, 2019, 08:10:25 am »

It can be anything you like, just have the design feature Duchies somehow.

This is my submission:

Masquerade
Types: Action
Cost: $3
+2 Cards
Each player with any cards in hand passes one to the next such player to their left, at once. Then you may trash a card from your hand.

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: January 15, 2019, 09:43:08 am »
+2

winner of contest 14: Aquila Jailer

perhaps you like to see your card in reality (only a try)

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 04:17:58 pm by herw »

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: January 15, 2019, 03:40:48 pm »
+1

There were a lot of interesting cards in this contest, so I was looking back at them while reading your comments and noticed you said Cardsharp might be too strong. It can't be too strong for $4 because it's almost strictly worse than Militia (unless you consider gaining silver to be an attack). Opponents always have the choice of discarding down to three and gaining a silver.

I never liked Wild Hunt, but I think I like Hunter. It's pretty uncommon to be able to 'fix' a disliked official card by adding an attack... Note, the attack will probably also work like Vault much of the time.

I think my favorites (besides my own) are Criminal's Vault and Dark Acolyte.

You make such a good point about Cardsharp, and I feel dumb because I was trying to compare all of these to the most basic attacks they could possibly compare to, like Militia. I guess having so many options does make it much better for the person being attacked.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: January 15, 2019, 06:32:00 pm »

Now that I think about it, how is Cardsharp NOT strictly worse than Militia? If you discard down to three cards in hand, it's essentially a Militia that gives your opponent a Silver, which is already strictly worse than Militia, but the opponent has more choices than just discarding down to three, so it's worse still than that.

My submission:

Investment:
$1
+2 Buys
-
When you gain this, gain a Duchy.
Treasure - $6

Couldn't find any good art for it, so no mockup. :(
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 06:47:42 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: January 16, 2019, 03:07:46 am »

It can be anything you like, just have the design feature Duchies somehow.

This is my submission:

Masquerade
Well yeah that fits the brief... Probably the more closely involved Duchies are the better chances of winning, unless you really convince me otherwise, so Masquerade wouldn't be a likely candidate. Still, changed the brief to say "have your design..."

Ah nice, you found a good picture for it. That's what stopped me doing a mock-up. I do intend to put Jailer into one of my fan sets, but I think I'd like to do my own mock-up for it, make things in keeping with the others I've already done. Still, there is the hall of fame thread that once updated could have this card on it.
And how interested are you in accuracy? This should be an Action Attack Duration, and have +3 Cards, capitalised.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: January 16, 2019, 03:24:50 am »
+1

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 05:08:29 am by Asper »

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: January 16, 2019, 04:07:35 am »

[...]

Ah nice, you found a good picture for it. That's what stopped me doing a mock-up. I do intend to put Jailer into one of my fan sets, but I think I'd like to do my own mock-up for it, make things in keeping with the others I've already done. Still, there is the hall of fame thread that once updated could have this card on it.
And how interested are you in accuracy? This should be an Action Attack Duration, and have +3 Cards, capitalised.
it was only a present for you. Accuracy is very important for me. I change it and will print it in a german version.

ciao herw
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 04:13:21 am by herw »

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: January 16, 2019, 05:05:58 am »
+2

Now that I think about it, how is Cardsharp NOT strictly worse than Militia? If you discard down to three cards in hand, it's essentially a Militia that gives your opponent a Silver, which is already strictly worse than Militia, but the opponent has more choices than just discarding down to three, so it's worse still than that.

Often you don't want Silver! Especially when there are handsize attacks around, they make Silver a significantly worse card.
I have sigs off.

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: January 16, 2019, 05:12:27 am »
+1

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 05:14:34 am by hypercube »
I have sigs off.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: January 16, 2019, 08:27:44 am »
+2

No idea about whether it does the trick but the point of the on-gain Haunted Woods like self-attack is to make this worse when it could potentially shine, in Alt-VP games with e.g. Duke or Silk Road.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 21 queries.