Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546389 times)

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #1050 on: January 02, 2019, 09:36:45 am »

Damn Town
I think you might mean "Dam town"?
I am not a native speaker (german) but i looked here:
https://dict.leo.org/englisch-deutsch/damn

„damn” seems to be right for me but if it isn't common english i can use f.i. „cursed”.

Ah, you probably meant "Damned Town", like "Cursed Town". Damned is the adjectival form of damn. Damn is often times considered profanity within the English language. I highly doubt "damn" or "damned" would make it onto any official dominion card at any point.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: January 02, 2019, 11:30:47 am »

Damn Town

„damn” seems to be right for me but if it isn't common english i can use f.i. „cursed”.

Ah, you probably meant "Damned Town", like "Cursed Town". Damned is the adjectival form of damn. Damn is often times considered profanity within the English language. I highly doubt "damn" or "damned" would make it onto any official dominion card at any point.
ah - ok; would be „cursed town” right?

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread #13: mechanics from 2 expansions
« Reply #1052 on: January 02, 2019, 02:21:47 pm »

Hopefully strong enough.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: January 02, 2019, 02:43:42 pm »
+6

I think this one has 3 unique expansion mechanics!

Edit: changed 'Villagers' to 'Villager' per MrHiTech
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 08:40:31 pm by Dsell »
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: January 02, 2019, 07:12:55 pm »
+2

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: January 02, 2019, 08:30:17 pm »

Change to +1 Villager (no s)

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: January 02, 2019, 08:37:03 pm »

Hopefully strong enough.

One common omission in fan cards is specifying where cards must be when you use them. If a card's effect is to "Put any number of Treasure cards on top of your deck," where do those Treasure cards come from? From your hand? From play? From your discard pile? From the supply piles? It may sound pedantic to require this to be specified explicitly, but since different cards look for things in different places, the clarity is important.

To tell you the truth, I am honestly confused. Do the cards come from play? Your hand? Both?

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: January 02, 2019, 08:40:57 pm »

Change to +1 Villager (no s)

Ah, good catch, thank you! (Updated in original post)

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: January 02, 2019, 08:57:44 pm »
+4

One common omission in fan cards is specifying where cards must be when you use them. If a card's effect is to "Put any number of Treasure cards on top of your deck," where do those Treasure cards come from? From your hand? From play? From your discard pile? From the supply piles? It may sound pedantic to require this to be specified explicitly, but since different cards look for things in different places, the clarity is important.

To tell you the truth, I am honestly confused. Do the cards come from play? Your hand? Both?

Um, it says "when you discard them from play." I'd say it's pretty obvious which he's talking about.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

turbot_charge

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: turbotcharge
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: January 02, 2019, 10:57:59 pm »
+2

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: January 03, 2019, 12:04:19 am »

Damn Town

ah - ok; would be „cursed town” right?
changed to witched town:

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: January 03, 2019, 02:40:54 am »

changed to witched town:

This is so, so much better than Familiar, for the same price. Workable concept for sure, but the balance needs to be fixed a lot.

Also I'm just not a big fan of all curses going from the trash to the supply. Lots more games become slogs as you face a literally never-ending pile of curses. Possibly fun to play, but pretty miserable to play against.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 02:43:21 am by Dsell »

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: January 03, 2019, 03:33:18 am »

changed to witched town:

This is so, so much better than Familiar, for the same price. Workable concept for sure, but the balance needs to be fixed a lot.
[...]

Familiar spends Curses always when played, but Witched Town only when gained (mostly when bought; it is not an attack).
Putting trashed Curses to supply prevents a rush-strategy indeed ;) . In most cases you can use only the vanillas.
The theme ALCHEMY is difficult to expand.
The sense of Witched Town is to buy other poison cards. So it is attractive by itself and eventually other cards from ALCHEMY. You only need one Poison to start with.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 03:39:46 am by herw »

Supernova888

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: Supernova888
  • Respect: +27
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: January 03, 2019, 04:21:39 am »

Don't know how I missed this thread, glad there's so much support for custom creation! Here's my take:

It's not clear how this would work with variable $ amounts, like Bank, Scepter, Fool's Gold etc. I also think it is too strong.

Ideally the production would work as if you'd played it, but I get how that's not obvious from Dominion convention. And, it would often make Bank be equal to a Copper, which is ridiculous, fair enough. And I was going to disagree with you with strength, but +3 Cards and the Field's Gift is trouble. An updated version is included in the original post. Thanks for the feedback!!

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: January 03, 2019, 08:33:29 am »

changed to witched town:

"Witched" isn't really a word - we would say "Bewitched".

Sorry we keep picking you up on these - I apologise for the weirdness of our language.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 08:41:41 am by spiralstaircase »

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: January 03, 2019, 08:50:17 am »

changed to witched town:

"Witched" isn't really a word - we would say "Bewitched".

Sorry we keep picking you up on these - I apologise for the weirdness of our language.

many thanks for that :)

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: January 03, 2019, 09:18:17 am »

Crocodile
Types: Night - Duration
Cost: 4 debt
Return half your debt tokens (rounding up).
Until the start of your next turn, cards cost 1 debt more.

Avoids the usual problem with cost increasers, because they don't reduce debt costs.  Is a Night card, because by the time you play them you don't mind about cost increases.  Isn't an Attack, because it's not clear how it would work with Moat, and anyway Crocodiles can swim.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 09:27:29 am by spiralstaircase »

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: January 03, 2019, 11:09:37 am »

changed to witched town:

[...]

Familiar spends Curses always when played, but Witched Town only when gained (mostly when bought; it is not an attack).
Putting trashed Curses to supply prevents a rush-strategy indeed ;) . In most cases you can use only the vanillas.
The sense of Witched Town is to buy other poison cards. So it is attractive by itself and eventually other cards from ALCHEMY. You only need one Poison to start with.

I definitely misread that, and didn't realize it was on gain. That definitely makes it better, although a rush strategy would still be possible if there are no trashing cards on the board.

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: January 03, 2019, 11:25:43 am »

changed to Bewitched Town:

[...]

I definitely misread that, and didn't realize it was on gain. That definitely makes it better, although a rush strategy would still be possible if there are no trashing cards on the board.

yes and then there is a trick too: Bewitched Town is a good card for rush-strategy then too,  because ...  8)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 11:28:57 am by herw »

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: January 03, 2019, 12:47:09 pm »

Exile is a card name I thought we'd see in Nocturne back when it came out.  It sounds like it fits the theme to me.

*Edited with better wording.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 03:22:18 pm by Chappy7 »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: January 03, 2019, 01:12:52 pm »
+1

Exile is a card name I thought we'd see in Nocturne back when it came out.  It sounds like it fits the theme to me.

Not sure the "if you did" is necessary... I don't even think there's a possible way to play the card and not end up following the first instruction. You'll always have at least 1 card in play or in hand.

And even though the challenge rules specified Island Mat as a mechanic; I think it would be better without it... the Island Mat doesn't mean anything; it has no rules associated. It's as arbitrary as putting in on your Tavern Mat, or a new Exile Mat, or just setting it aside forever. And very similar to trashing it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: January 03, 2019, 01:14:33 pm »
+1

And even though the challenge rules specified Island Mat as a mechanic; I think it would be better without it... the Island Mat doesn't mean anything; it has no rules associated. It's as arbitrary as putting in on your Tavern Mat, or a new Exile Mat, or just setting it aside forever. And very similar to trashing it.
They can't all be the best challenge ever  ;)

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: January 03, 2019, 01:36:44 pm »

Not sure the "if you did" is necessary... I don't even think there's a possible way to play the card and not end up following the first instruction. You'll always have at least 1 card in play or in hand.

Since the Island mat already exists that seemed easier than making a new mat and better than just saying "set a card aside somewhere".  Besides, Island fits thematically. I don't really care where the card goes.  Whether it says put the card on your island or put the card in your pocket, I don't really care. Island seems fine to me though.
Fortunately, even if I did get rid of the Island part, it is a Night and it has Villagers, so it still fits the challenge

As for the if you did part, yeah you're right, it can probably be left off. 

I just like the feeling of "do A for B" rather than two unrelated effects.  Maybe I should just word it like ".... your Island mat for +1 Coffers or +1 Villager"

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: January 04, 2019, 11:33:55 am »

All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: January 04, 2019, 12:03:09 pm »

The wording and play mechanism can be simplified with simply "trash an Action or Treasure card you have in play". It's identical the vast majority of the time, but a lot easier to use (don't have to remember to do something later in the turn), and less wordy.

Unless Ruins are in the game; trashing an action is very unlikely to be worth it. I think this looks weak compared to Monastery. Although it gives you 2 Coffers for trashing a Copper, Monastery has the advantage of possibly trashing multiple in-play Coppers at once, as well as being able to trash Estates from your hand. And it only costs .
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 21 queries.