Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547001 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5650 on: May 13, 2020, 03:00:35 am »

Stud Farm should probably let you play treasures so it's not dead on certain boards.
Meh, I disagree. It's a $2 card, it can be situational, and if it let you play Treasures or gave +$1 it would have to cost more. It provides +2 buys on boards without virtual coin, that's already valuable by itself.

Plus playing Treasures is always a bit wonky. THis card doesn't need it, and I prefer the simplicity.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 03:02:18 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #5651 on: May 13, 2020, 03:02:22 am »
+1

Schoolteacher, an Ironworks-Secret Chamber-Hamlet mishmash. It can do lots of things! But none of them great, and it needs a discard. Dullahan gives you your discard pile on the next turn and you can reduce its cost by discarding.

I think Dulllahan is broken or almost broken by itself. With a couple of them and a Vault or a Storeroom you can start all your turns with almost entire deck in hand and discard all cards for coins.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #5652 on: May 13, 2020, 11:19:43 am »

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but how do you insert pictures into a reply?
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

artless

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5653 on: May 13, 2020, 11:25:37 am »
+2

Assembly Shop
Project
Cost: $7

Once per turn, during your action phase (when no card is resolving), you may discard any number of cards and gain a card onto your deck costing exactly $1 per card discarded.

Monk's Village
Action
Cost: $4

+2 Actions
+1 Card
---
While this is in play, when your hand becomes empty, if it is:
Action phase: +1 card
Buy phase: +$1

---
Edit:
Assembly Shop replaces Engrave

Reworked both cards
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 12:10:27 am by artless »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5654 on: May 13, 2020, 12:33:05 pm »

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but how do you insert pictures into a reply?

use the [ img ] [/ img ] tags (without spaces) around the url to the image file.
Better yet, press the "Quote" button on a post with an image and see how they did it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 12:42:14 pm by spineflu »

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #5655 on: May 13, 2020, 12:35:56 pm »
+1

use the [ img ] [/ img ] tags (without spaces) around the url to the image file.
Better yet, pretty the "Quote" button on a post with an image and see how they did it.

Just make sure to preview your image. Sometimes they're very large, but you can control that by adding a width="200" attribute (or other reasonable width) in the img tag:

Code: [Select]
[img width=200]https://yourimage.url[/img]
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #5656 on: May 13, 2020, 12:56:13 pm »

Better yet, press the "Quote" button on a post with an image and see how they did it.

Where do I get this url? I am using https://shardofhonor.github.io/dominion-card-generator to make the cards.
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #5657 on: May 13, 2020, 01:05:16 pm »
+1

Where do I get this url? I am using https://shardofhonor.github.io/dominion-card-generator to make the cards.
Download the image and put it into Imgur, then copy the address of the image in Imgur and put that in.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5658 on: May 13, 2020, 01:10:52 pm »
+1

Download the image and put it into Imgur, then copy the address of the image in Imgur and put that in.
you can skip downloading and just copy from the generator / paste to imgur. less clutter on the desktop.

Schoolteacher, an Ironworks-Secret Chamber-Hamlet mishmash. It can do lots of things! But none of them great, and it needs a discard. Dullahan gives you your discard pile on the next turn and you can reduce its cost by discarding.

I think Dulllahan is broken or almost broken by itself. With a couple of them and a Vault or a Storeroom you can start all your turns with almost entire deck in hand and discard all cards for coins.
Dullahan also has a problem with its cost fluctuation - namely, you can't look through your discard pile
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 01:41:23 pm by spineflu »

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5659 on: May 13, 2020, 02:21:15 pm »

Engrave
Event
Cost: $1

Discard any number of cards, gain a card costing exactly $1 per card discarded.

Monk's Village
Action

+2 Actions
+1 Card
When you discard this from play, if your hand is empty, +1 coffer.

---
Engrave is an event version of Artificer.
It reduces the pain of drawing a hand of dead cards.
Also, it enables new open strategies (like Alms).

Monk's Village is a 4 cost village plus.
Its bonus can be achieved either by trash, play actions with discard effects, be attacked by opponent, draw the right cards, or buy an Engrave event.
What makes the combo better is: engrave enables 4-4 open.

Artless, I'm asking myself if this end-turn Artificer is not too fast. I mean, in any engine you have to balance between draw power and payload. With Engrave, you can be focused only in get draw power and not worrying about payload during the whole game. What do you think about this?

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #5660 on: May 13, 2020, 06:16:08 pm »
+3

Comptroller
Types: Action, Reserve
Cost: $2
+$1. Put this on your Tavern mat.
At the start of your Buy phase, you may call this. If you do, +2 Buys, Ignore any further +Buys you get this turn, and Events cost $1 less this turn.
Market Day
Types: Event
Cost: $9
+$11
Comptroller: A Reserve that gives +Buys when you need it and Event cost-reduction.  Comptroller also causes you to ignore further +Buys so you can't go infinite with any +Buy Events like Delve, Gamble, and Travelling Fair.
Market Day: An Event that turns each extra +1 Buy into +$2 provided you meet the $9 threshold.  Most spammable +Buy doesn't build your economy much compared to competing cards, so there's a push and pull to that.
Combo: Comptroller + Market Day nets you +$6 from Comptroller's buys. You could get more coins by calling more Comptrollers, but the growth is only +$2 per Comptroller called as only the first Comptroller gives you +Buys.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5661 on: May 13, 2020, 07:12:32 pm »

Split pile: Golden Ages / Dark Ages

Golden Ages
cost $2 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Choose one: Exile a Gold from Supply; or discard a card from your Exile mat.
---
Worth 1vp per 2 Treasures you have on your Exile mat.

Dark Ages
cost $5 - Treasure
Exile any number of cards from your hand.
---
When this is in Supply, when you play a Treasure, +$1 instead of following its effect.

I wanted to do Poacher-like thing.

I think this clause under the line in Dark Ages makes all treasures in kingdom become coppers, doesn't? If what I'm saying is correct, these two cards won't work, since they are treasures themselves.

Yes, intended. (I forgot to put Victory type on Golden Ages)

First, Dark Ages is not in Supply (as Golden Ages is covering).  So someone will buy Golden Ages to get Golds. After Golden Ages are gone, all Treasures are Copper. Now is the Dark Ages. Everyone cannot buy Province, so someone buys Dark Ages. After Dark Ages are gone, now you can play Treasures as usual.

But yes, I'll change Dark Ages to Action card.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5662 on: May 13, 2020, 08:40:46 pm »
+2

Comptroller
At the start of your Buy phase, you may call this. If you do, +2 Buys, Ignore any further +Buys you get this turn, and Events cost $1 less this turn.
Market Day
+$11
Comptroller: A Reserve that gives +Buys when you need it and Event cost-reduction.  Comptroller also causes you to ignore further +Buys so you can't go infinite with any +Buy Events like Delve, Gamble, and Travelling Fair.
Market Day: An Event that turns each extra +1 Buy into +$2 provided you meet the $9 threshold.  Most spammable +Buy doesn't build your economy much compared to competing cards, so there's a push and pull to that.
Combo: Comptroller + Market Day nets you +$6 from Comptroller's buys. You could get more coins by calling more Comptrollers, but the growth is only +$2 per Comptroller called as only the first Comptroller gives you +Buys.

Maybe some events would be too powerful with cost reduction. For instance, if you play a single Squire for +2 Buys and call three Comptrollers, you can buy Expedition five times at $0 each and will start your next turn with 15 cards in hand.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5663 on: May 13, 2020, 08:58:12 pm »
+2

Hey guys, I’m talking here about almost all cards posted. I’m just wanting to give feedback, the same way I want feedback from you about my entries. Please tell me if in some way I’m bothering you with this.

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #5664 on: May 13, 2020, 09:11:11 pm »

Hey guys, I’m talking here about almost all cards posted. I’m just wanting to give feedback, the same way I want feedback from you about my entries. Please tell me if in some way I’m bothering you with this.

Not me. I like the feedback. I don't have a lot of time to give my own sorry.

artless

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5665 on: May 13, 2020, 10:37:36 pm »

Engrave
Event
Cost: $1

Discard any number of cards, gain a card costing exactly $1 per card discarded.

Monk's Village
Action

+2 Actions
+1 Card

---
Engrave is an event version of Artificer.
It reduces the pain of drawing a hand of dead cards.
Also, it enables new open strategies (like Alms).

Its bonus can be achieved either by trash, play actions with discard effects, be attacked by opponent, draw the right cards, or buy an Engrave event.
What makes the combo better is: engrave enables 4-4 open.

Artless, I'm asking myself if this end-turn Artificer is not too fast. I mean, in any engine you have to balance between draw power and payload. With Engrave, you can be focused only in get draw power and not worrying about payload during the whole game. What do you think about this?

You are right. A default payload makes it too easy to build an engine. Even if being nerfed, the card would still be problematic.

And...

Village Peddler • Action

+ 1 Action
+ 1  Card
+ $1
-
The next time you play a Rag Dealer this turn, choose one: you first get +; or you first may trash a card from your hand.

Rag Dealer • Action

+ 1 Action
+ 1  Card
+ $1
-
The next time you play a Village Peddler this turn, choose one: you first get +1 Action; or you first get +1 Buy.

Setup: Whenever Village Peddler is in the kingdom, add an extra supply pile with Rag Dealer.

Two Peddlers, each one alone being nothing more than a Peddler. Play one after the other and Village Peddler becomes a Market or a Bazaar (you choose) or Rag Dealer becomes a Junk Dealer or an activated Conspirator (you choose).

With one of each in hand, you have a lot of versatility, with these four options of playing:

- Peddler and Market
- Peddler and Bazaar
- Peddler and Junk Dealer
- Peddler and activated Conspirator

Chain them alternated and every one after the first played will be more than a Peddler.

None of the bonus gives + Cards. I think it would be too strong. There’s a reason for Pathfinding be the most expensive of the events that give vanilla bonuses.

I think when two cards mention each other specifically, to it makes sense you have to find a way to one never be in the game without the other. The options are:

- One in supply and the other not, being gained by the first in some way.
- A split pile
- A specific setup rule

With first option, one card will be gained in a different way than the other. It would break the symmetry between them and make it hard to balance their gains. Gain one when gain the other seems too strong, gain when play seems slow and probably would give you more copies of the second card than the first. Also, in any case this option would put a lot of text into the cards.

With a split pile, whatever would be its order, only one of them would be available at one time, making it harder to gain the card you need to activate the bonus and also swinging .

So I choose the latter option, a specific setup rule. It ensures that both cards will be always available and enables to activate the bonus earlier. I think it’s not a big deal a kingdom with 11 supply piles, we already have it with Young Witch.

seems to be the right cost for Peddlers with a bonus (see Market, Bazaar, Junk Dealer, Artificer, Treasury or Emporium), even if you don’t always get the bonus (it happens sometimes with Artificer, Treasury or Emporium). At there’s a Peddler with a penalty (Poacher) and at there's a Peddler with two vanilla bonuses (Grand Market).

Any feedback will be very welcome.

I don't think naming another card is the intended way of this contest ("interesting interactions").
But breaking intended way is the intended way of designing fan cards. So it should be fine.

mad4math

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: madd4math
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #5666 on: May 13, 2020, 11:01:56 pm »

Split pile: Golden Ages / Dark Ages

Golden Ages
cost $2 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Choose one: Exile a Gold from Supply; or discard a card from your Exile mat.
---
Worth 1vp per 2 Treasures you have on your Exile mat.

Dark Ages
cost $5 - Treasure
Exile any number of cards from your hand.
---
When this is in Supply, when you play a Treasure, +$1 instead of following its effect.

I wanted to do Poacher-like thing.

I think this clause under the line in Dark Ages makes all treasures in kingdom become coppers, doesn't? If what I'm saying is correct, these two cards won't work, since they are treasures themselves.

Yes, intended. (I forgot to put Victory type on Golden Ages)

First, Dark Ages is not in Supply (as Golden Ages is covering).  So someone will buy Golden Ages to get Golds. After Golden Ages are gone, all Treasures are Copper. Now is the Dark Ages. Everyone cannot buy Province, so someone buys Dark Ages. After Dark Ages are gone, now you can play Treasures as usual.

But yes, I'll change Dark Ages to Action card.

I see the intention, however once the golden ages are gone people will just ignore treasures forever and never get dark ages. The problem is that dark ages is not a good card, and more importantly buying the last one is terrible because then your opponent gets the first turn where treasures are turned on. I don't think that any reasonable form of dark ages will cause the pile to empty the way you want except maybe a gladiator-style thing that forces them to leave the supply without buying them.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5667 on: May 13, 2020, 11:05:19 pm »

I don't think naming another card is the intended way of this contest ("interesting interactions").
But breaking intended way is the intended way of designing fan cards. So it should be fine.

I asked Something_Smart about this:

I thought the idea was to create cards that can also stand on their own.

Something_Smart, please clarify this point: Is the idea to create cards that can also stand on their own or it's ok to create mutually dependent cards as I did?
I was thinking that people would create cards that can stand on their own, but you don't have to-- split piles are fine, and this Partner idea is creative and cool as well. Go for it.

He said it's ok, but even so I don't know if I'm very comfortable in deviate from initial scope. That's why I didn't post yet the fixed version I intended to post. I will think about it.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5668 on: May 14, 2020, 12:30:52 am »

How about these two cards? A fun coffers/villagers interaction with victory tokens:

Privatize (Event) $5:
Remove your coffers for +1VP each. Move all of your villager tokens to your coffers mat, they are coffers now.

[no name yet] (Action-Duration) $4:
Whenever you remove coffers for any reason, put them here. At the start of your next turn, +1 Villager and +1$ for every two coffers here.

I like very much this transmuting idea, but, since the cards produce Coffers only from Villagers and Villagers only from Coffers, they won't work if there's no other source of Coffers and Villagers in kingdom. Suggestion: make Privatize give a Villager and The Card With No Name Yet give a Coffers when played. This way, each card can also cycle with itself and not only with the other.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5669 on: May 14, 2020, 01:11:42 am »

Assembly Shop
Project
Cost: $6

At the end of your buy phase, you may discard any number of cards and gain a card costing exactly $1 per card discarded.

Monk's Village
Action

+2 Actions
+1 Card

---
Assembly Shop is an alternate payload to combo decks.
Its bonus can be achieved by multiple ways, buy an Assembly Shop is the most reliable one.

Edit:
Assembly Shop replaces Engrave

Yes, Assembly Shop is nice. I don't know, maybe it would better don't give victory cards. With a Hounting Grounds or a Council Room in hand, it's a guaranteed Province in that turn.

About Monk's Village bonus, I have a rule doubt.

From Dominion rulebook:

The player places any cards that are in his play area (Action cards that have been played in the Action phase as well as Treasure cards that have been played in the Buy phase) and any cards remaining in his hand onto his Discard pile.

Does it mean that you must discard from play area before discard from hand? Or you can choose discard from hand before discard from play area?

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #5670 on: May 14, 2020, 01:37:25 am »
+1

Comptroller
Market Day
+$11

Maybe some events would be too powerful with cost reduction. For instance, if you play a single Squire for +2 Buys and call three Comptrollers, you can buy Expedition five times at $0 each and will start your next turn with 15 cards in hand.
Read the card: „ignore any further Buys you get this turn“

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5671 on: May 14, 2020, 01:58:21 am »
+3

The buys would come from Squire before the Comptrollers (multiple Comptrollers just get the cost down of Expedition to $0).

1 Buy +2 Buys (from Squire) +2 (from the first Comptroller) = 5 buys

* obviously would have to first play a bunch of villages first, but with 15 card hands, probably not so hard, once you get this done the first time.

I do agree this would be an issue - when I designed a cost reducer for Events, it was a Project so that they could at most be $1 less.

[Edits: this is what I get for posting late at night - wrote Scout instead of Squire, and ignored the fact that the cost reduction happens when you call them, so you wouldn't necessarily need all the villages]
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 11:05:01 am by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5672 on: May 14, 2020, 02:43:14 am »
+1

The buys would come from Scout before the Comptrollers (multiple Comptrollers just get the cost down of Expedition to $0).

1 Buy +2 Buys (from Scout) +2 (from the first Comptroller) = 5 buys*

* obviously would have to first play a bunch of villages first, but with 15 card hands, probably not so hard, once you get this done the first time.

I do agree this would be an issue - when designed a cost reducer for Events, it was a Project so that they could at most be $1 less.

And to do it the first time, the Comptrollers could have been played in previous turns.

(nitpick: of course, you do mean "Squire" instead of "Scout")

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #5673 on: May 14, 2020, 07:52:45 am »
+1

I don't see the brokenness, you gotta work quite a bit (terminal space to play a bunch of terminal Coppers, further extra Buys in the Kingdom) to pull this off. Gamble on the other hand requires no splitters or further extra Buys in the Kingdom to be broken with this.

A simple way to get around horrible broken combos is to either check once you revealed the second Event whether such a combo exists or to simple choose a non-Event as second landscape card.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #5674 on: May 14, 2020, 08:32:15 am »

I do agree this would be an issue - when designed a cost reducer for Events, it was a Project so that they could at most be $1 less.
The argument that reduced-costs are abusive is a reasonable argument against Bridge existing, too.
There are some instances that Comptroller will be very powerful, but those instances don't seem arbitrary: I think there's still plenty of playing to be done around the combos.

Gamble on the other hand requires no splitters or further extra Buys in the Kingdom to be broken with this.
Could you elaborate here? Without other +Buys, Comptroller + Gamble would let you flip the top 3 cards of your deck and play the Treasures and Actions before you run out of Buys, as you ignore Gamble's +Buys.

Can I get opinions on nixing the Reserve part of Comptroller and making it all on play? The "Events cost $1 less" can only appear alongside "Ignore any further +Buys" to avoid Event infinites. I'm not immediately convinced that it would make the card more fun looking at available sets of vanilla bonuses.
  • "+2 Buys, +$1" looks really bad next to Squire in the case that a Kingdom doesn't have a repeatable Event to abuse.
  • "+1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy" could be workable, but the "ignore any further +Buys" becomes immediately oppressive and puts a big dampener on the Market Day combo.
  • "+1 Action, +2 Buys" is passable in stronger engines and makes terminal +Buys play worse with it, but the lack of real economy on that makes it even more niche.
  • "+1 Card, +1 Action, +2 Buys" sounds like too much.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 20 queries.