Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547124 times)

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5075 on: March 23, 2020, 12:20:11 pm »
+1

24 hours left!

Supernova888

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: Supernova888
  • Respect: +27
    • View Profile
« Reply #5076 on: March 23, 2020, 02:50:29 pm »
+1

Split pile with Harvest. Harvest has 5 copies on the top; 5 copies of this on the bottom.

Yield • $5 • Treasure-Reaction
$2
+1 Buy
-
When you discard this other than during Clean-up, you may reveal it to put it into your hand.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #5077 on: March 23, 2020, 04:02:32 pm »
+1

$2
+1 Buy
-
When you discard this other than during Clean-up, you may reveal it to put it into your hand.
Can be used with Diplomat's reaction to cycle through your entire deck and pick out exactly the cards you want (even worse if Tunnel's in the game as you can autopile Golds). Probably safer to do it like either Faithful Hound or Village Green.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: Contest #66: Split Pile w/ Official Card
« Reply #5078 on: March 23, 2020, 07:14:50 pm »
+1

Split pile with Coppersmith (Copper Mine goes on top, ofc).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 04:30:09 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #5079 on: March 23, 2020, 07:17:09 pm »

$2
+1 Buy
-

In addition to what Something_Smart said, I think it would be better to have this on top of Harvest instead of the other way around. I don't think this would ever see the light of day due to Harvest being on top, but if this were on top, people might actually buy Harvests.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #5080 on: March 23, 2020, 07:36:22 pm »
+2

$2
+1 Buy
-
Can be used with Diplomat's reaction to cycle through your entire deck and pick out exactly the cards you want (even worse if Tunnel's in the game as you can autopile Golds). Probably safer to do it like either Faithful Hound or Village Green.
Except you'd never see the card. When's the last game you played where 5 Harvests were bought?
(PPE'd due to thinking about my card...)

My submission:
Wisdom Scroll
$5 Action
+1 Action
+$4
+1 Buy
Reveal your hand. -$1 per card revealed that costs less than $3 (You can't go below $0.).
A Poor House variant.
5 Copies of Sage on top of 5 Wisdom Scrolls.

(EDIT: Changed to an action to make coppers hurt the $ amount. This was the version I posted first: )
Wisdom Scroll
$5 Treasure
+$4
+1 Buy
Reveal your hand. -$1 per card revealed that costs less than $3 (You can't go below $0.).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 10:27:09 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #5081 on: March 23, 2020, 09:10:01 pm »

Wisdom Scroll
$5 Treasure
+$4
+1 Buy
A Poor House variant.

This seems really strong to me - the only thing that it would trigger on in an ordinary game is estates (because you can play out your coppers), if you trash those then this becomes way better than a gold for $1 less. Even without trashing this is almost certainly a gold unless you're able to draw a lot.

Probably a lot less attractive in a game with cursers, though.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5082 on: March 23, 2020, 10:22:52 pm »

Wisdom Scroll
$5 Treasure
+$4
+1 Buy
A Poor House variant.

This seems really strong to me - the only thing that it would trigger on in an ordinary game is estates (because you can play out your coppers), if you trash those then this becomes way better than a gold for $1 less. Even without trashing this is almost certainly a gold unless you're able to draw a lot.

Oh, I meant for coppers to hurt it too. I guess I'll make it an action with +1 Action on it.
(Originally, it was a terminal action. Then I looked at it and thought "that's just poor house with +buy", so I made it a treasure, forgetting that that would allow coppers to not affect it.)
EDIT: Fixed in my OP
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 10:25:36 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #5083 on: March 23, 2020, 11:09:18 pm »
+3

So, with each any every expansion, we get more and more villages. Making regular village look pretty boring. So, let's get rid of a few, and make you want to buy it to get to the cards underneath!

Split Pile: Village / Urban Planner:

Feel free to suggest (among other improvements) better wording. The challenge was having it be optional, while still keeping "+1 Card" for Way of Chameleon interactions.

Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #5084 on: March 23, 2020, 11:16:24 pm »
+4

So, with each any every expansion, we get more and more villages. Making regular village look pretty boring. So, let's get rid of a few, and make you want to buy it to get to the cards underneath!

Split Pile: Village / Urban Planner:

Feel free to suggest (among other improvements) better wording. The challenge was having it be optional, while still keeping "+1 Card" for Way of Chameleon interactions.

I always use the "you may spend an Action" wording.

+3 Cards
You may spend any number of Actions. +1 Card per Action spent.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5085 on: March 24, 2020, 02:37:19 am »

Wisdom Scroll
$5 Treasure
+$4
+1 Buy
A Poor House variant.

Oh, I meant for coppers to hurt it too. I guess I'll make it an action with +1 Action on it.
(Originally, it was a terminal action. Then I looked at it and thought "that's just poor house with +buy", so I made it a treasure, forgetting that that would allow coppers to not affect it.)
EDIT: Fixed in my OP
Seems broken in any engine. Even if you have 2 Coppers in hand it is OKish as a nonterminal Woodcutter and beyond that it is simply too good.
I rather think it's about on par with Spices.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: March 24, 2020, 12:52:07 pm »
+1

Wisdom Scroll
$5 Action
+1 Action
+$4
+1 Buy
Wild idea - make Wisdom Scroll a cost reducer (+1 Action, +$2, cards cost $1 less, -$1 per card costing $0). This will also empower Sage to grab more expensive stuff

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: March 24, 2020, 03:42:00 pm »
+4

CHALLENGE #66 RESULTS

Bookkeeper/Counting House by NoMoreFun
This card obviously synergises with Counting House, but shines the most with Draw-to-X. In those situations, having only 5 of these can be immensely frustrating, since it is very easy to get your second or third copy of this, given it costs only $3 and has +Buy. For these reasons, I think this card works better as a separate pile, rather than part of a split pile. Secret Chamber was terrible, but adding +Actions makes it quite powerfull, probably too good for $3.

Diary/Secret Chamber by majipony
Diaries are going to need an external trigger pretty much 100% of the time, since Secret Chamber itself is just far too weak to pull it of. And even then, it's not going to be worth it most of the time I'm afraid. Sea Hag is gone out of favor because it essentially junks the player by being in the deck, and this card has that problem times 1000. I'm not sold, sorry.

Rascals/Night Watchman by X-tra
The attack looks OK-ish, since it makes buying them when hitting lots of $$ less unappealing. The only problem is that this duo functions the best when your deck has lots Rascals/Night Watchmans, but little else. In these scenario, the deck can produce lots of VP per turn, but is completely unable to put an end to the game. Donald X avoids such scenario like a plague.
Another problem is that Racals are absolute garbage without triggers. And that Night Watchman is pretty horrible when locked behind 5 cards. So there is that.
Kudos for making the randomizer, though. I like that a lot.

Mine/Diamond by Pubby
I adore the idea of putting a "lvl 4" treasure below Mine. Mine are always pretty good in Colony games, so having a card like that is a great way of making Mine consistently better.
I'm not keen on Diamond, however. 8 VP is just way too much. It becomes nearly impossible to overcome losing the Diamond split, especially considering Diamonds are not dead cards. I also don't like that that it cannot be bought: Mine is already pretty convenient at getting lvl 4 Treasures anyway. If you wanna improve this card, my suggestion is to tweak it into a Treasure that is balanced at $9.

Accountant/Coppersmith by mail-mi
Accountant is alright for trashing and +Buy, although it is a little bland. However, if you wanna make it share a pile with Coppersmith, you really have make it enhance Coppersmith. Coppersmith really needs a card that helps it connect Coppers with itself. Otherwise, it just fails to be viable, Accountant or not.
You could consider it making it draw another card if you have a Copper in hand and price it at $4. Not sure if that is balanced though.

Navigator/Explorer Ship by D782802859
Explorer Ship is going to be somewhat bad on its own, but with Navigator, it can be quite fearsome. It can be somewhat clunky though, because playing Explorer when not drawn by Navigator is quite taxing on the terminal space. Especially if drawn at the start of a shuffle. That said, it can be phenominal at reactivating a stalling deck. Needs playtesting to see how things balance out, but I like the nom a lot. FINALIST

Scribe/King's Court by Aquila
I don't mind cutting the King's Court count to 5, but Scribe looks rather broken. This is cheaper than Poach, which is actively a nuissance at some point. This on the other hand can always act as a Peddler unless you really whiff, since you can always regain this with your $4 costing component. The idea of denying a King's Court when you are already in the lead doesn't amuse me either.

Path/Scout by [TP] Inferno
One of the most important things to remember about Scout is that it's not only absolutely misserable on average, but that its ceiling is absurdly low as well. It never comboed with anything; even the "amazing" Scout/Ironworks/Great Hall trio was actualy very mediocre in practice.
With that said, I am not sold at this making Scout viable. Making matters worse, you butchered its vanilla quite heavily, as it is essentially a Copper when all Paths are gone. Something I would not want in my deck, even less in multiples. Not even with Groom or Ironworks. It tempts me to say that this is actually going to be the weaker part of the pile, but I guess it can escape that fate. Sorry, but this didn't work out. Better luck next time.

Surveyor/Explorer by popsofctown
I really fail to see how this qualifies as a $2 cost; $3 or $4 would be better. It also works poorly with Explorer, since that card gains Treasures to hand, while the exchanged card would not go to hand. Indeed, too fiddly.

Thief/Golden Egg by somekindoftony
Very wacky, but definitely way of improving the Thief. With two players, Thief is still beyond terrible, especially since you don't wanna burn through 5 Thieves in order to activate Golden Egg. In 3+ player games, the flow of Gold becomes a little too automatic, especially when players won't play Thief every turn (not unlikely, as there are only 5 in the game). Definitely fun in casual play.

Pearl Diver/Pearl by Segura
Pearl Diver is indeed a straightforward card to use in this contest, as it's very similar to Patrician or Settlers. Pearl looks like a pretty strong card, as it's always in the right position for engines. And if your deck stalls, you can use those Pearl divers to draw it prematurely. Great use of Pearl Divers ability. It is powerful, but you have to get past those Pearl Divers first in order to get it in the first place, so it seems balanced. FINALIST

Snitch/Black Market by grep
Snitch looks extremely swingy. If it gains you a King's Court or Possession, you have gotten yourself a very powerful card for free.  And if it reveals a crap card, you have devoted your handsize on nothing. Black Market at least produces $2, and with revealing 3 cards, it is more consistent at revealing viable stuff. Plus, getting stuff from Black Market diminishes your buying power or this turn.
I honestly also don't see the appeal in locking Black Market till lategame either.

Oasis/Observatory by Something_Smart
Looks like a decent Peddler variant that interacts nicely with Oasis. It is obviously not very good when you have drawn a lot, but it is otherwise quite nice. I don't see why the drawing and Treasure playing should be mutually exclusive. If you don't want to enable it before drawing, enable it afterwards. That said, solid idea overall. FINALIST

Chariot Race/Spectators by BlueHairedMeerkat
Designing a card that gives VP without gaining or trashing needs to be done with extremely great care. We don't want strategies were you can generate a gigantic amount of VP per turn, without working towards an end. Chariot Race counteracts that by not (or less likely) producing VP when the opponent has expensive cards, such as Province. Spectators doesn't counteract this possibility at all, and it will be way too easy to ensure VP out of each play, without neutering your deck.

Warehouse/Goods by mandioca15
I don't think Goods works very well in a split pile, since you are essentially forcing the player to use Warehouse as a trigger, and not, for instance, Dungeon. Also, having only 5 Warehouses in the supply means that the strategy itself won't be good if you don't win the split. For the card itself, it's alright, but terminal gold is kinda lame. And I feel that Village Green makes a card like this kinda unnecessary.

Advisor/Confidant by spineflu
You revisited your entry quite a few times, and I can say for sure that each entry has been much better than the previous one. Confidant would be horribly overpowered as a top card, but as a bottom card, I can see it working out. It also works nicely with Advisor, because having a Confidant in your deck means the left player has to think twice before choosing the best card. Especially when Advisor reveals a Curse. Very elegant design. FINALIST

Mineral Deposit/Grand Market by alion8me
This is very hard to judge on face value.  Shrinking the Grand Market count to 5 nerfs it a lot, as it's no longer possible to really snowball on it. It also means that when one player gets access to the first Grand Market, the other player has extremely little time to catch up.  I think the most common scenario will be buying the fifth Mineral Deposit when hitting $8, and buying earlier Mineral Depositis when you have $2 left to spend. I'm just not sold that this is a recipe for fun, though that might be more  a problem of Grand Market.

Harvest/Yield by Supernova888
Yield is going to be very awesome with Tactician or Vault, but this awesomeness will be completely offset when it is covered by 5 of those crappy Harvests. The interaction with Harvest is going to be rather poor, especially when Harvest cares about diversity. And honestly, being a $5 costing silver is kinda boring as well. Also, unlocking this just to get a +Buy will be rather awkward, as the player with less Harvests will be likely in an advantage.

Copper Mine/Coppersmith by Gubumb
This can definitely improve Coppersmith, as this is helpful for increasing the Copper density. That said, I don't recall Copper/Beggar being a thing, as the support Coppersmith primarily needs, is the ability to aligh Coppersmith with your Coppersmiths, while also making sure Coppersmith gets played often. Since Coppersmith was an extremely narrow card, this kind of support is to be expected from a card that shares its pile. As a card on its own, it's definitely likeable with Gardens or Counting House, but it is rather unlikely that you'd also pick up a Coppersmith in those situations.

Sage/Wisdom Scroll by LibraryAdventurer
The problem with Wisdom Scroll is that whenever the Coppers and Estates are gone, this card can consistently hit $4. That is very strong, especially since it is also nonterminal (and gives +Buy!). The worst part is that when this scenario occurs, Sage is worthless. And then, the player who bought Sage the most often gets punished for his good “deed” of unlocking Wisdom Scroll. As a result, I'm afraid this card wouldn't be able to survive an audition of testing.

Village/Urban Planner by scolapasta
The problem of putting a Village and a Smithy variant in one pile is that you strip the ability to choose the order in which the parts are obtained. The supply of either is much more limited as well. This turns engine building more into a race of getting as many cards of that pile as possible. Also, when there are only 5 Villages, it is far more unlikely for Urban Planner's ability to have any relevance.
I also prefer if you don't cater the wording to Way of the Chameleon, and instead say something like “you may spend any amount of unused actions, to draw that many”.

So the top 4 is:
4) Oasis/Observatory by Something_Smart
3) Navigator/Explorer Ship by D782802859
2) Pearl Diver/Pearl by Segura
1) Advisor/Confidant by spineflu

Congratulations, spineflu, for winning this weak's challenge!
EDIT: And thanks to all participants for the many good submissions.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 04:02:18 pm by grrgrrgrr »

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: March 24, 2020, 03:51:50 pm »

Thanks for the positive comments for my card in a week of really cool ideas.

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: March 24, 2020, 05:24:49 pm »
+1

CHALLENGE #66 RESULTS
Path/Scout by [TP] Inferno
One of the most important things to remember about Scout is that it's not only absolutely misserable on average, but that its ceiling is absurdly low as well. It never comboed with anything; even the "amazing" Scout/Ironworks/Great Hall trio was actualy very mediocre in practice.
With that said, I am not sold at this making Scout viable. Making matters worse, you butchered its vanilla quite heavily, as it is essentially a Copper when all Paths are gone. Something I would not want in my deck, even less in multiples. Not even with Groom or Ironworks. It tempts me to say that this is actually going to be the weaker part of the pile, but I guess it can escape that fate. Sorry, but this didn't work out. Better luck next time.
Auch, should have seen that Scout was a lost cause. Anyway, congrats spineflu!
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5090 on: March 24, 2020, 05:33:32 pm »
+2

oh wild. I was not expecting to win, there were a lot of really good entries out there.

Contest #67 - Design a card/card-shaped-thing that uses the Exchange mechanic
Exchanging: it's not gaining, it's similar to returning, and the card you get ends up in your discard (by default - you're free to do like, an exchange-to-hand or something). Design a card that does it. Or that exchanges something else.

Official cards that do this are the traveller lines (Page et al, Peasant et al), Vampire/Bat, and Changeling.

If you use out of supply cards for this, post those too; if you use an outside-of-canon mechanic or rule (like, Seasons, or Worshippers, or what have you), include a link to the rules for it (or if they're short, repost them in their entirety).

Judgement will be next week tues at like, 5pm est. I'll try to remember to 24 hour warn.

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: March 24, 2020, 05:41:13 pm »
+1

Interesting challenge. I like it. How about this:

Sell
$5
Treasure
$1
You may exchange a card you have in play for a card costing up to $2 more than it.

It's an exchange-remodel. Not much to it, it effectively gives +1 Card +$1 more than its base cousin, but at the cost of not activating on-trash abilities and being unable to mulligan Provinces. Let me know if it needs tweaking.
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: March 24, 2020, 07:29:14 pm »
+1

Dinner
cost $4 - Night
Exchange this to a card costing up to $5 onto your deck.
---
When games using this, add an extra Kingdom Action pile costing $6 - $8 to the Supply.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: March 24, 2020, 10:09:03 pm »
+1

Atoner
Action - $4
+$2
Each player (including you) may exchange a Curse for a Horse. If anyone did, you may exchange this for 2 Horses.
-
When you gain or trash this, each other player gains a Curse
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 10:10:17 pm by NoMoreFun »

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: March 24, 2020, 10:51:17 pm »
+1

Would I be right in thinking this is also the sort of thing Hermit and Madman or Urchin and Mercenary get up to?

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5095 on: March 24, 2020, 11:16:00 pm »
+1

Would I be right in thinking this is also the sort of thing Hermit and Madman or Urchin and Mercenary get up to?

nope! they're similar but Hermit + Urchin trash themselves rather than exchange; exchange is its own keyword

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: March 25, 2020, 12:19:26 am »
+1

First idea I came up with. Probably not balanced.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: March 25, 2020, 01:40:33 am »

Dinner
cost $4 - Night
Exchange this to a card costing up to $5 onto your deck.
---
When games using this, add an extra Kingdom Action pile costing $6 - $8 to the Supply.

There aren't that many official cards that would fit this setup rule

Base: Artisan (Adventurer from first edition)
Intrigue: Nobles
Prosperity: Goons, Grand Market, Expand, Forge, King's Court, Peddler
Hinterlands: Border Village
Dark Ages: Altar, Hunting Grounds
Adventures: Hireling
Menagerie: Destrier, Wayfarer, Animal Fair
Promos: Captain, Prince

Seaside, Alchemy, Cornucopia, Guilds, Empires, Nocturne and Renaissance have no such cards in them.

I'm not sure what the setup rule is achieving, but just a note that it calls on a surprisingly small pool of cards (especially if you don't own Prosperity or Menagerie).

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #5098 on: March 25, 2020, 04:07:18 am »
+1

Import (Action, $3)

Choose one: Exile a non-Victory card from the Supply; or exchange this for a card on your Exile mat.

This lets you get expensive Supply cards, but in delayed fashion. Of course, you can continue Exiling cards if you’ve got other ways to release them...

Supernova888

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: Supernova888
  • Respect: +27
    • View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: March 25, 2020, 04:54:10 am »
+2

Love the exchange mechanic, even if it's tricky to implement. Here's my stab at it:

The idea is that an Angel is often a much, much stronger Lab, which gets taken down a notch by the fact that you get a very weak card in its stead every other shuffle. But hey, sometimes your Devils can help you ensure an Angel will trash a card you want to pitch.

CHANGE #1: Modified Devil's wording to be more clear/in line with Dominion wording.

Angel • $5 • Action
+1 Action
Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. Trash one and put the others into your hand.
At the start of Clean-Up, exchange this for a Devil.

Devil • $0* • Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may put a card from your hand onto your deck.
At the start of Clean-Up, exchange this for an Angel.
(This is not in the Supply).
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 10:15:16 am by Supernova888 »
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.