Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546867 times)

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5050 on: March 18, 2020, 05:22:53 pm »
+4

My submission is the upper half of Black Market to make it less accessible.

Snitch
$2 - Action
+1 Action
Look at the top card of the Black Market deck. You may trash this to gain that card on top of your deck; if you don't, put that card on the bottom of the Black Market deck.

Setup: 5 Snitches on top of 5 Black Markets; the Black Market deck is set up as usual.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: March 18, 2020, 05:56:43 pm »

Stash doesn't specify explicitly that you may look through your discard before shuffling either as it crystal clear anyway, so I roll with that. And the funky coloured backs.

You seem to be under the impression that with Stash, you're allowed to look through your discard before shuffling? You definitely aren't. With Stash you aren't allowed to find all your Stashes by looking at the fronts of cards. That's the reason it has a different back; so that you can find your Stashes by only looking at the backs of cards. If Stash allowed you to look at the front of cards when shuffling; it wouldn't have a different back.

*Edit* It's in the Official FAQ for Stash: "You can't look at the fronts of the cards you're shuffling; Stash has a different card back so you know where it is."

Nah, I disagree. Rulebook says you cannot look through your discard, card implies that you gotta do it ... so you do it. I mean, that's how literally everybody I play Dominion with would do it without any second thought ... as it is not something funky like your example, drawing cards from some weird place once your deck is empty.

With the errata, rulebook says you CAN look through your discard IF an effect tells you you to get a card from discard. This is why Tunnel from discard works. Tunnel from deck does not work because there's no equivalent rule saying that if you need a card from your deck to resolve an effect then you're allowed to look through your deck. If Pearl dealt with pulling itself out of the discard, then you could look through your discard like you can with Tunnel. But once you have begun shuffling; you aren't dealing with a discard pile anymore.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 06:08:22 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: March 18, 2020, 07:29:42 pm »

With the errata, rulebook says you CAN look through your discard IF an effect tells you you to get a card from discard.
Pearl says, put me at the bottom of your deck. Card text trumps rulebook. Funny thing being that the Errata that you mentioned imply that it is totally fine to go through your discard if you are told to do so and Pearl does this. Not explicitly but there is only so much text you wanna put on a card.
So yeah, "Before you shuffle, look through your discard pile, put all the Pearls on the bottom of your deck, shuffle the remaining cards and put them on top of your deck." might be totally rule-tight but no sane person would put this wall of text on a card which already has a lot of text on it.
Basically, what LostPhoenix said over there. It is a game, not fine print.

Pearl's wording is exactly the same as Stash's wording though, and we know from this that such wording doesn’t allow you to see the contents of your deck. Why reason would there be to think that Pearl and Stash would work differently, when they both have the same wording?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: March 18, 2020, 07:47:20 pm »

I do not see identical wording. Also, Stash is pretty unclear without FAQs. Look through your deck. Man, that could mean a whole lot of thing. Clarifying ambiguities that arise naturally because you only want to put that much text on a card is that is what rulebooks are for. The notion that you can totally prevent them is a pipedream. Well, perhaps you can with flow charts and logic operators or whatever but not if you use plain English on a little card.

What is unclear about “You can't look at the fronts of the cards you're shuffling”? It says “look through your remaining deck”, which was added after the shuffle rule change because before that, the remaining deck would already be in your hand when you shuffled. This isn’t just a theoretical fan card question, this is a normal interaction with how Stash works. And the rules are completely clear: “You can't look at the fronts of the cards you're shuffling.” If you look at the front of the cards when shuffling, you are absolutely cheating.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: March 19, 2020, 12:47:36 am »
+1

Pearl doesn't ask you to do the impossible though, it just asks you to do something you don't naturally have the necessary information for.  Therefore you ask a judge to come to the table, look through your discard pile for all the Pearls, and put them on the bottom for you, without you seeing all the cards in your discard.  "Trash the top Curse from your deck" would work the same way.

In a casual setting with people who don't want to play Memorize Subsequences Of Pi Simulator the card plays fine when no one I interact with in real life actually wants to outplay me based on deck tracking.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #5055 on: March 19, 2020, 03:25:53 am »
+3

Image later maybe

Observatory - $5 - Action

+1 Action, +$1. You may play a Treasure from your hand. If you don't, draw until you have 5 cards in hand.

Pile starts with 5 copies of Oasis on top and 5 copies of Observatory on the bottom.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5056 on: March 19, 2020, 07:28:38 am »

Pearl doesn't ask you to do the impossible though, it just asks you to do something you don't naturally have the necessary information for.  Therefore you ask a judge to come to the table, look through your discard pile for all the Pearls, and put them on the bottom for you, without you seeing all the cards in your discard.  "Trash the top Curse from your deck" would work the same way.

In a casual setting with people who don't want to play Memorize Subsequences Of Pi Simulator the card plays fine when no one I interact with in real life actually wants to outplay me based on deck tracking.

This isn't correct based on the ruling for Tunnel that's been shuffled into your deck. Donald said you can't reveal it because you physically can't find it; he didn't say you should call a judge to have the judge find and reveal it for you.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #5057 on: March 19, 2020, 08:36:30 am »
+1

I have thoughts on that but I'm gonna make my previous words on the topic my last

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #5058 on: March 19, 2020, 09:08:22 am »

Do people prefer this wording or the one below?

Have a guess as to what the other top half of my split is?

Click this link to know the answer...
https://tinyurl.com/uthqnp8

BlueHairedMeerkat

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5059 on: March 19, 2020, 09:23:59 am »
+3

Split pile is 5 copies of Chariot Race, then 5 copies of Spectators.

Spectators
Action
$7*

+2 Cards
+1 Action
You may reveal an action from your hand and put it onto your deck for +1VP
---------
Instead of paying this card's cost, you may spend 2VP.

Win at Chariot Races to attract Spectators; having lots of fans helps you win races, and they can stack the deck for you too. Or they're a lab in a pinch, which is not too shabby.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #5060 on: March 19, 2020, 06:35:59 pm »
+1

Goods (Action-Reaction, $5)

+$3
+1 Buy
---
When you discard this other than during Cleanup, you may play it.

This is paired with Warehouse (5 copies of Warehouse atop 5 copies of this).

Obviously this plays well with any discarder, with Warehouse being a great example.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 03:52:40 am by mandioca15 »

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5061 on: March 19, 2020, 07:23:24 pm »

Goods (Action, $5)
[...]
Obviously this plays well with any discarder, with Warehouse being a great example.

It's also strictly better than gold. Cheaper, has +buy, and plays itself on discard.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

somekindoftony

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: March 19, 2020, 08:54:04 pm »

Goods (Action, $5)
[...]

It's also strictly better than gold. Cheaper, has +buy, and plays itself on discard.

I agree. I think you could make it a 7 cost Treasure and drop the buy and it would be balanced. The +buy makes it more interesting though.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: March 19, 2020, 08:59:37 pm »

Goods (Action, $5)
[...]

It's an Action, not a Treasure.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: March 19, 2020, 10:50:09 pm »

Goods (Action, $5)
[...]

Whoops. Still probably worth , though you could probably justify in that case
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

somekindoftony

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: March 19, 2020, 11:21:40 pm »

I appreciate that and maybe that is enough of a drawback but given it completely ignores that drawback when discarded I don't think so.

BlueHairedMeerkat

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: March 20, 2020, 07:13:30 am »

With a decent Action density, this becomes very similar to a cantrip that yields a VP, something that’s DXV nixed while designing Prosperity because it can lead to simple Golden decks that do not lead the game towards an end.

I can see that, but then in Empires we got Plunder, which isn't quite a cantrip but does similarly. In practice, 2.5 copies of this or Plunder aren't enough to make a good Golden deck, and if you have all 5 then your opponent has a very good incentive to end the game ASAP.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: March 20, 2020, 07:16:04 am »

It is a Courtier variant. And while it is hard to judge whether this is better or worse than Courier, it is definitely not that much better that it is worth $6.
Furthermore, the below-card in a split pile can always be a bit stronger than a card which is immediately available. See Plunder.

Alright, let's make the plunder comparison:

Plunder is a treasure that has the same abilities as a terminal action (Monument) and costs more than that action.

Your card is a terminal action that, if it were a treasure, would cost . By this comparison, making it cost makes sense.

Also, I would say it's really not a courtier variant, as courtier has, well, variance. You're not guaranteed to be able to make more than one choice in any given kingdom. And in (albeit very rare, depending on what expansions you're using) others, you might be able to get all four (Dame Josephine or Werewolf).

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: March 20, 2020, 08:25:56 am »
+2

It is a Courtier variant. And while it is hard to judge whether this is better or worse than Courier, it is definitely not that much better that it is worth $6.
Furthermore, the below-card in a split pile can always be a bit stronger than a card which is immediately available. See Plunder.

Plunder is a treasure that has the same abilities as a terminal action (Monument) and costs more than that action.

Your card is a terminal action that, if it were a treasure, would cost . By this comparison, making it cost makes sense.

Also, I would say it's really not a courtier variant, as courtier has, well, variance. You're not guaranteed to be able to make more than one choice in any given kingdom. And in (albeit very rare, depending on what expansions you're using) others, you might be able to get all four (Dame Josephine or Werewolf).

By this logic shouldn't like Sacred Grove and Legionary and all the other $5 terminal Golds cost $6? Card power doesn't increase linearly with cost so this sort of comparison doesn't really make sense.
I think Goods is fine, is it a bit stronger than other similar cards? Probably. But Courtier or Gold or whatever similar card we can compare it to are all mediocre cards at best so it really isn't a problem to make something that's a little better (but not strictly better). This is also buried under 5 Warehouses which does make it harder to get.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 10:01:55 am by Gazbag »

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: March 20, 2020, 09:15:56 am »

@ [TP] Inferno  I amended my post to enable you to click when ready.

I am not sure I have entirely worded it right either. I want it to happen that if Golden Egg is the top card of its supply pile then each other player gains a gold to the top of their deck at the start of your turn. So the under the line effect triggers at the start of each players turn from the supply. Is that even possible?

The hope is that its like a wonderful present for everyone... unless someone buys them up (which would be the equivalent of killing the goose that laid the golden egg).

wouldn't it be better if it is at the end of the turn, so you have some incentive to "kill the goose"?
Who trashes the trashers?

somekindoftony

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5070 on: March 20, 2020, 10:30:19 am »

@ [TP] Inferno  I amended my post to enable you to click when ready.

I am not sure I have entirely worded it right either. I want it to happen that if Golden Egg is the top card of its supply pile then each other player gains a gold to the top of their deck at the start of your turn. So the under the line effect triggers at the start of each players turn from the supply. Is that even possible?

The hope is that its like a wonderful present for everyone... unless someone buys them up (which would be the equivalent of killing the goose that laid the golden egg).

wouldn't it be better if it is at the end of the turn, so you have some incentive to "kill the goose"?

Because its a split card with Thief (sorry to those who were still guessing) I want it to happen at the start of the turn. This means it makes Thief a little better (which I feel it needs to be) because it puts gold on top of your opponents decks for you to steal that turn. If successful, in a 2 player game at least, for the player with Thieves, your opponents wont ever actually see that gold.
To be fair though Golden Egg might not make Thief entirely better - if you are using it to deny your opponent treasures - as there are going to be extra golds you don't always catch especially in a multiplayer game. But Thief becomes ineffective in games where there simply isnt any big money to steal, because opponents can get their money from actions instead of treasures for example. That at least is fixed by Golden Egg.
I guess the twist I am hoping for is that the players who buy Thief will want to uncover the Golden Egg but not necessarily buy it. The people without Theives might want to though. But whoever buys the last Egg will also be missing out on their own free gold after having just given one away to their opponents.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #5071 on: March 20, 2020, 03:25:29 pm »
+2

This is incorrect for reasons pointed out by other posters but also because it treats the cost scale as linear. Fives are much easier to buy than fours, but sixes aren't much easier to get than fives. It's a fine 5 and balanced as such, especially in regards to Courtier. Small nitpick: this should be a reaction.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #5072 on: March 20, 2020, 04:32:04 pm »

This is incorrect for reasons pointed out by other posters but also because it treats the cost scale as linear. Fives are much easier to buy than fours, but sixes aren't much easier to get than fives. It's a fine 5 and balanced as such, especially in regards to Courtier. Small nitpick: this should be a reaction.

I think you mean harder.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5073 on: March 20, 2020, 10:39:12 pm »

I'm changing up my entry because Mantle was kind of convoluted and also not a great plan to force relying on both split cards collision.
the wordplay was very good tho

new entry is
Confidant
split pile with Advisor
setup is 5 copies of Advisor on top of 5 copies of Confidant

Confidant • $4 • Action
+1 Action
Pass a card from your hand to the player on your left.
You may trash a card from your hand; if you do, +2 Cards; Otherwise, +$1.

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #5074 on: March 21, 2020, 09:45:38 pm »
+2

Mineral Deposit

+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash this. If you do, +$2.
-
When this is your first buy in a turn, +$2 and +1 Buy.

Action
$4

This is in a split pile with Grand Market, with five copies of Mineral Deposit on top and five copies of Grand Market underneath.
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 20 queries.