Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1569058 times)

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +661
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #1750 on: April 10, 2019, 02:50:20 am »
+3

Challenge #26: The One-Shot

Design a card, not a card shaped thing, that has a one-shot on-play ability.  Examples include Mining Village, Embargo, and Feast (if it was still around).  I would also count Spoils and Madman if they were supply piles.  I wouldn't count Prince, Hireling, Inheritance, or Projects, since they have continuing effects.  If it is something like Mining Village which has an optional one-shot, the one-shot ability needs to be tempting enough to make interesting decisions; or if it has a mandatory one-shot, like Embargo, Spoils, and Experiment, it needs to be worth buying in the first place.

If I didn't explain very well, ask me questions and I'll get back to you ASAP. Ready go!

I'll upvote the entries that fit the challenge
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 11:44:01 am by Chappy7 »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1445
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: April 10, 2019, 04:53:21 am »
+4

The one-shot could be too weak / attritional and the normal ability could be too similar to Merchant Guild (but unlike Merchant Guild it does not provide you the ability to gain more than one card).

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: April 10, 2019, 06:12:45 am »
+3

The one-shot does not need to trash itself, right? Here is a somewhat wacky idea:

Imitate
Action - $7*
Gain a copy of a card you have in play. You may put this onto a Kingdom supply pile.
-
While this is in the supply, it costs $1 less for every two cards in its pile, but not less than $0.

Clarification: When this is on a supply pile of another kingdom card, it acts the same as if it were the top card of a split pile. You can put this on empty piles, and they will no longer be considered empty.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 06:16:02 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: April 10, 2019, 06:45:13 am »
+10

I tried to create a worthwhile feast replacement. this can gain you a 5$ card and trash an estate with it. our you can trash a copper to gain another upcycle or a silver. Even in the lategame you can trash your 5$ card or Gold into a Province.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: April 10, 2019, 08:38:36 am »
+3

Just a question, would passing the card around satisfy the challenge conditions?

If I have time to do an actual submission, and it is allowed, I'd probably look into this design space a bit more.

Lurker

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lurker
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: April 10, 2019, 10:19:39 am »

Edit: This submission doesn't count, so I'll think of another. Thanks for the feedback!

Pilgrimage City, Action, $3+
+1 Card
+1 Action

-
When you buy this, you may
overpay for it to set it aside. At
the start of your next turn, play it
once for each $1 you overpaid.
(Use tokens to track overpay)

I'm stretching the brief a bit far, please let me know if it's too far. The effect of the card is a one-shot, but it does stick around doing almost nothing in your deck thereafter.

I'm moving some word complexity to the rule book with the parenthetical. I hope it's clear, for example, if you overpay by $5 you put 5 coin tokens on it so that next turn you remember how much you paid.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 01:20:43 pm by Lurker »

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: April 10, 2019, 11:35:59 am »

The one-shot does not need to trash itself, right?

Right.  It could return to the supply, it could get set aside for the rest of the game, or whatever else people come up with. 

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: April 10, 2019, 11:37:34 am »

The one-shot does not need to trash itself, right? Here is a somewhat wacky idea:

Imitate
Action - $7*
Gain a copy of a card you have in play. You may put this onto a Kingdom supply pile.
-
While this is in the supply, it costs $1 less for every two cards in its pile, but not less than $0.

Clarification: When this is on a supply pile of another kingdom card, it acts the same as if it were the top card of a split pile. You can put this on empty piles, and they will no longer be considered empty.

So this starts as a $2 right? Just want to make sure I understand it correctly

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: April 10, 2019, 11:39:18 am »
+1

Just a question, would passing the card around satisfy the challenge conditions?

If I have time to do an actual submission, and it is allowed, I'd probably look into this design space a bit more.

Hmmm.  Interesting.  I think this does count!

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: April 10, 2019, 11:42:53 am »
+1

Pilgrimage City, Action, $3+
+1 Card
+1 Action

-
When you buy this, you may
overpay for it to set it aside. At
the start of your next turn, play it
once for each $1 you overpaid.
(Use tokens to track overpay)

I'm stretching the brief a bit far, please let me know if it's too far. The effect of the card is a one-shot, but it does stick around doing almost nothing in your deck thereafter.

I'm moving some word complexity to the rule book with the parenthetical. I hope it's clear, for example, if you overpay by $5 you put 5 coin tokens on it so that next turn you remember how much you paid.

What I had in mind wasn't exactly an on-buy effect, more of an on-play sort of thing.  I didn't think to specify that though, so that 's my bad. I'll edit my original post.  Although I think this is really clever, I think it doesn't quite fit the spirit of the challenge. 

FWIW I like the card a lot. 

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: April 10, 2019, 12:15:08 pm »

So this starts as a $2 right? Just want to make sure I understand it correctly
Yes, that's the idea.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread #26: one-shot
« Reply #1761 on: April 10, 2019, 12:39:06 pm »
+2

My submission:
Graduate - Action, $4 cost.
+1 Card
+1 Action

The next time you gain a non-Victory card this turn, trash this to gain a copy of it. At Clean-up, if you didn't gain such a card during the turn, +1 Coffers.

This is my former submission.

Antique - Treasure, $2* cost.
+1 Buy
While this is in play, cards cost $1 less, but not less than $0. When you discard this from play, return it to the Supply.
-
This can't cost less than $2. When you buy this, +1 Buy.

The more you collect of these before playing them, the better payout. I worry that it creates too much pressure on games, and players are forced to keep hold of some to prevent somebody getting too many at once. Possibly I'll make it so there's only 8 in the pile to help.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 03:11:43 am by Aquila »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: April 10, 2019, 01:35:56 pm »
+1

I thought it was too strong for $4 but too weak for $5, so I added the drawback to make it more balanced.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: April 10, 2019, 01:46:52 pm »
+1

Moneychanger
Type: Action
Cost: $2

+1 Card
+1 Action
+ $1
Return this to the Supply.
-
When you gain this the first time in your turn, +1 Buy

The kingdom card pile has the regular number of 10 copies.

My idea is pretty similar to overpay for Coffers. However, this one has some twist. Like real Coffers you can save the Moneychanger for later, but it may not be always available. On the other hand, it is combinable with Throne Room variants or cards which interact with Actions. Starting with 2 Moneychangers and one Vassal is pretty good and regardless, whether you start with 5/2 or 4/3, you can always do this opening.

There are also some tricks. If there is no +Buy in the kingdom, you can turn your workshop to a Ruined Market, which may be useful, if you have $10 or more in your hand. Moneychangers also help you to get to $10. So this synergy could see some usage.

Fun fact: When I created this card, I was not aware of Experiment, which is similar, but more expensive, usually stronger and has a less flexible on-gain effect.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 03:51:46 pm by King Leon »

wittyhowlard

• Swindler
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: April 10, 2019, 05:31:32 pm »
+1

Alrighty then! Here are my remarks on each entry. Yes, you will notice a lot of discussion about theming (how the name matches the mechanics, or vice versa) because I'm a sucker for good theming.

==

Refinery
Action - $3
+2 Cards
Discard two cards. You may trash two Coppers in your discard pile. If you did, gain a Silver to your hand.

A specialized Trading Post variant like this could have some early game use, especially with the discard effect. However, once your Coppers are gone, this is a pretty poor card. Smelter may have more uses later in the game, at least. Both themes are good, though. As for shrinking, when you put in the image code, add “width=200” or some similar number after the “img” in the first set of brackets (no quotes, of course, and make sure there’s a space between “img” and “width”). You don’t need to do anything to the /img tag. Does that make sense? Anyway, welcome to the contest, wittyhowlard!

Thank you for the welcome and the feedback Tejayes! Also for the tips on how to make the cards more normal sized :)

Lurker

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lurker
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: April 10, 2019, 05:52:18 pm »
+4

Bomb, Action, $2
+1 Action
Trash this. If you do, trash
your hand and draw until you
have 5 cards in your hand.

This is a new Chapel. It's more awkward at trashing but because you still get to have your turn it's more... explosive!

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: April 10, 2019, 06:33:50 pm »

Here's a card from my set Dominion: Greed that I hadn't gotten around to posting.

War Flag
Types: Treasure, Attack
Cost: $6
$3. When you play this, either trash this or discard a Treasure, then each other player discards a card for each coin in its cost, and then draws until they have 3 cards in hand.
In games using this, when you buy a card costing $5 or more, trash a card you have in play.
*The number of cards that players discard are equal to the cost of the Treasure you discard or the War Flag if you trash it. Yes, that means that players discard 6 cards when you trash War Flag with no boundary (and then draw until they have 3 cards in hand).
Discard a Silver to make it a Copper-Legionary.
Discard a Gold or War Flag for an amazing Minion-style Attack, even though it effectively doesn't generate $.
Discard a Copper when it misses to keep it around. (Inter-set combo with Architect that gives Copper a cost of $1.)
Use it as a one-shot Gold with an amazing Attack--but do think about the cards you trash when you buy it because of that In-Games-Using-This effect. Using it as a one-shot sort of turns it into a sort of on-buy tempo-trasher, really...

That milling Attack is stupidly powerful, which is why its In-Games-Using-This effect aids in improving your deck early (so early War Flags aren't as devastating), but the fact that the on-buy trashing is mandatory creates many interesting considerations as you proceed: Fast trashing will inevitably have you cannibalize yourself too fast, since you're losing a card for every $5+ buy; you still need to figure something to do about your Estates, so some tempo-trashers might be worth buying to rid yourself of that pesky starting green; the free tempo-trashing provided by every $5 card makes power situational cards better since it is so easy to justify throwing them out later; and greening breaks you down faster since you start throwing away your cheaper economy bits as you buy Provinces.

EDIT: Attempt to clarify wording.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 08:57:22 pm by Fragasnap »
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: April 10, 2019, 11:49:24 pm »

Bomb, Action, $2
+1 Action

This is a new Chapel. It's more awkward at trashing but because you still get to have your turn it's more... explosive!

I like it. Thematically it would be cooler if the effects were "when you trash" effects but that may cause problems.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: April 11, 2019, 12:44:12 am »
+3

Bomb, Action, $2
+1 Action

I like it, but maybe it could only trash one card, and have a cost in some other currency...?

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: April 11, 2019, 12:47:03 am »
+2

The "Return this to the Moneychanger pile." instead of "Return this to its pile." is intentional, in the case, this starts in the Black Market deck. It loses track, when there is no Moneychanger pile. A cheap $2 Peddler for you. An empty Moneychanger pile is in fact a Moneychanger pile with zero cards, however.
This is unnecessary; see Encampment.

I don't really think this needs to have 20 copies. It does return to the supply after all.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: April 11, 2019, 07:28:58 am »
+1

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: April 11, 2019, 07:54:02 am »
+1

It is very expensive but even at $5P a triple Lab is too good. I mean, DXV has tested a double Lab at Debt costs and it was too crazy so a triple Lab without any drawbacks probably always is.

TMDaines

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: April 11, 2019, 08:04:46 am »
+3

Just getting into Dominion in recent months and not necessarily familiar with all the cards in recent sets, but this thread looked fun.

This may be considered a bit dull, but I do like Mining Village as a design of a card. Trashing this has the same value in that you can gain a card costing 2, but you don't need a +1 Buy and so lose any flexibility.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: April 11, 2019, 08:13:09 am »

I think that this will have an even narrower use than Mining Village. Like Mining Village you will only trash it when you (estimate that you) play it for the last time whereas Mining Village can also be used early on to spike.

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: April 11, 2019, 12:57:44 pm »
+1

Bargain
Action/Reaction - $1
Trash a card from your hand.Gain a card costing up to $1 more than it.
---
When you gain a card,  you may return this to the supply from your hand to exchange it for a card costing up to $1 more than it. Put it onto your deck during your buy phase and into your hand otherwise.

Remember, the challenge says to make a card "that has a one-shot on-play ability" This reaction wouldn't qualify
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 20 queries.